Legend of the Five Rings Interest thread.

Started by BraveEarth, February 26, 2013, 02:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ofDelusions

Also, what do you think about Secret Lover disadvantage?

Katina Tarask

And on Pumpkin's note, where are we starting and what are we doing beyond "politics?"

BraveEarth

Pumpkin I thought about it long and hard for the initial task I'm going to say Crane, Crab, Mantis and Scorpion.

Delusions, It's absolutely frightening. Think of it like an extremely jealous stalker who you aren't aware of but is always watching you.

Katina Tarask, you will be starting in the Imperial City Toshi Ranbo all your characters have received summons from the Imperial Herald and Miya Daimyo Shoin. There he will denote the first task you will help the Empire in its ongoing reconstruction.

Fiver214

Letting you all know I'll be gone starting Wednesday (3/13) on until Monday-ish (3/18). I'll be gone because I'll be out of town, not because I lost interest. If the roleplay starts before I'm back, I'll just catch up so no worries.
Well, I'm back after more than a year!

Muse

I'll bring in a Hiruma scout if I'm not too late?

I'm very open to sugestions and requests, but my first thought is a severe, professional woman with a secret weakenss for romantic pillow books.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Marie Reynolds

Okay so would a Shiba Bushi be welcomed in this crew?

ofDelusions

Quote from: BraveEarth on March 12, 2013, 08:42:34 PM

Delusions, It's absolutely frightening. Think of it like an extremely jealous stalker who you aren't aware of but is always watching you.

Oh I what it does. I was just asking if its ok for me to take it. And wether you want to choose/design/run that npc etc? ^^

kckolbe

I have a couple of versions of my character done, basically depends on whether or not anything other than commerce is *needed* from him.  I can make him a passable archer or make him able to do tea ceremonies, or just start him off with less points and let him develop quickly.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

ofDelusions

Pumpkin or Katina, since you are both Crane non-bushi, would either of you want a Yojimbo?

Pumpkin Seeds

Well figured we would all be together as a retinue.

ofDelusions

Pumpkin Seeds

In all honesty I would love if each courtier could at least have working ties to all non-courtier characters.  Since this is mainly a political game this would serve to give each character at least someone with interest in their political survival that can handle things, as well as giving the courtiers people that can ensure their physical well being.  Also this gives meaning for everyone being there as they are accompanying a courtier and also each of the courtiers should have a working familiarity with each other.

Hope that makes sense cause it sounded better in my head.

kckolbe

Name Iuchi Liang
School / Rank Ide Emissary Rank 1 (Ide Trader Path)

Description / Background

Insight: 128

Earth  2 (Stamina  / Willpower )
Water  2 (Strength  / Perception )
Fire 2 (Agility 2 / Intelligence 3)
Air  3 (Reflexes 3 / Awareness 3) 12
Void 2

Initiative: 4k3

TN to be hit: 20
Attack roll w/Weapon: 6k3, reroll 1s

Wounds: Current -
Healthy (+0): 10
Nicked (+3): 14
Grazed (+5): 18
Hurt (+10): 22
Injured (+15): 26
Crippled (+20): 30
Down (+40): 34
Out : 38

Skills:
Skill (Emphasis): Rank – Attribute
Calligraphy: 1 - Awareness
Commerce: 3 - Intelligence 6
Courtier: 2 - Awareness 2
Etiquette (Conversation): 1 - Awareness
Horsemanship: 2 - Agility 2
Sincerity (Honesty): 1 - Awareness
Kyujutsu 3 (Yumi): - Reflexes 8

Games-Go: 1 - Intelligence 1
Artisan: Painting: 1 - Awareness 1
Athletics 1 - Strength 1
Craft: Bowyer 1 - Intelligence 1
Investigation 1 - Perception 1

School Techniques / Spells
Technique: A true master of the caravan path can forge lasting bonds
with his customers, and has reaped the rewards of his travels.
You gain a bonus of +1k1 on all Commerce Skill Rolls.
You also gain this bonus on all Social Skill Rolls made
with your customers. You gain one level of the Wealthy
Advantage and one instance of the Way of the Land Advantage
for free.

Katas / Kihos

Advantages: Wealthy 2 (0), Way of the Land (City of the Rich Frog) (0), Daikoku's Blessing (4), Ancestor: Shinjo (8), Luck (3)

Disadvantages: Compulsion (Competition) (2), Gaijin Name (2), Can't Lie (2), Easy Read (1k0 penalty to all social rolls, and others are able to read his expressions more easily than most (4)

Heritage7, 10 Your ancestor met a jinn while wandering the Burning Sands. They had a long and fruitful affair. You occasionally have
strange urges and odd dreams…  (From BraveEarth)"Well I'm thinking sorts of dreams between really erotic yet utterworldly and the sort of again near prophetic but kind of metaphorical dreams Also maybe dreams of indentured servitude"

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Yumi, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack, 4 koku
Traveling Pack: Miniature go set, set of dice, small knife, tea set, tatami mat, bottle of sake, coin purse, week's rations, spare kimono and sandals, bottle of water
Other: Bowyer's kit (2 bu), Quiver (20 zeni), 10 Willow Leaf Arrows (2 koku), 2 Flesh Cutter Arrows (2 koku) 10 Armor Piercing Arrows (4 koku), 2 Humming Bulb Arrows (2 koku), 2 Rope Cutter Arrows (6 bu)

Honour: 5.5
Glory: 1.0
Taint: 0.0

XP Spent: 40

1. WHAT CLAN DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
Unicorn.
2. WHAT FAMILY DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
Iuchi.
3. IS YOUR CHARACTER A BUSHI, A SHUGENJA, OR A COURTIER?
Courtier.
4. HOW WOULD OTHERS DESCRIBE YOUR CHARACTER’S APPEARANCE?
His build is what one would expect of a courtier.  He is unimposing in build, of average height, and has calm eyes.  He has a childlike smile.
5. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S PRIMARY MOTIVATION?
He has none.  There are things he would like to do, such as see the Kaeru back with the Unicorn or at least on their own.  He would like to maybe be a high-ranking magistrate one day.  Nothing really drives him, though.
6. WHO IS THE PERSON YOUR CHARACTER TRUSTS MOST IN THE WORLD?
There isn't a one person.  He is generally quite trusting, though, provided there is no reason for suspicion.  He tends to give benefit of the doubt.
7. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S GREATEST STRENGTH AND WEAKNESS?
He is very positive, and, for a courtier, at least, courageous without being too confident.  Either that or his skills with commerce.  His weakness might be that he is quite average, perhaps even less than average, for a samurai, since skill at commerce is not celebrated.  Also, he sometimes fails to understand the true gravity of some situations.
8. WHAT DOES YOUR CHARACTER THINK OF BUSHIDO?
He places the most stock in honesty, which is something many of his school also believe.  He has trouble with courtesy at times, at it seems to conflict with honesty.
9. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S OPINION OF HIS CLAN?
Liang is proud to be part of one of, if not the most, versatile Clans in Rokugan.  They have it all, and he finds that wonderful.  He tries to be versatile as well.
10. IS YOUR CHARACTER MARRIED?
No OOC plans for marriage, but willing to discuss if another player is interested.
11. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY PREJUDICES?
He bears the Lion some resentment for taking the Kaeru's status away from them.
12. TO WHOM DOES YOUR CHARACTER OWE THE MOST LOYALTY?
He is most loyal to the Unicorn
13. WHAT ARE YOUR CHARACTER’S FAVORITE AND LEAST FAVORITE THINGS?
He loves competition above all else, whether it be a game of go, or artistic expression, or even sparring.  His least favorite thing might be being stuck doing any one thing (maybe other than competing) for long periods of time.
14. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY RECURRING MANNERISMS?
His facial expressions give him away frequently, and sometimes he daydreams.
15. WHAT ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER’S EMOTIONS?
He is able to withhold judgement in most cases, as he is a naturally kind man.  However, he generally tends to give away about everything else.
16. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER HANDLE A SUBORDINATE’S IMPROPER BEHAVIOR?
If anything, he is too lenient.
17. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER’S PARENTS DESCRIBE HIM?
   (Waiting for another player to coordinate parentage)                                                     
18. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S HIGHEST AMBITION?
He has no overarching ambition.  He would like to be a magistrate, maybe even Amethyst Champion, but this is a dream more than driving motivator
19. HOW RELIGIOUS IS YOUR CHARACTER?
He makes a token effort toward religion, but it is not very important to him and his faith has not been tested.  He believes that he believes though.
20. HOW WILL YOUR CHARACTER DIE?
Likely in combat that is more serious than he thinks.  He will make a foolish mistake against a superior foe.[/size]
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Fiver214

Strike my last. I got sick, so I'll be here.

Muse

Hey, brave.  :)  Before I finish off Natsuke, may I have an ancestor's roll? 

Anyone need a Yojimbo? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

I think the Crab should go with the Unicorn delegation.  Also Marie there is a Phoenix shugenja so your Phoenix bushi can ride with them.

Fiver214

Pumpkin Seeds

Also Fiver, maybe you should be in the Scorpion retinue?  Would be humorous if you had this cheerful and idealistic shugenja right next to the snake next...the bodguard knows how dangerous this is but does the shugenja?

kckolbe

So, just to see if this is all correct so far, we'll start in 3 groups.

Group 1: Pumpkin Seeds, BigBuckBob, OfDelusions, Katina Tarask

Group 2: Marie Reynolds, Songbird, Fiver214

Group3: kckolbe, Muse

Intro Thread

ofDelusions

This is what I have thus far.

Name Daidoji Koi
School / Rank
Daidoji Iron Warrior / 1
Description / Background

Insight: 123

Earth  ( 3 / 2 )
Water  (2  / 3 )
Fire (3/ 2 )
Air  (2  / 2 )
Void 2

Initiative: 3k2

TN to be hit: 25

Wounds: Current -
Healthy (+0): 10
Nicked (+3): 17
Grazed (+5): 24
Hurt (+10): 31
Injured (+15): 38
Crippled (+20): 45
Down (+40): 52
Out : 59

Skills:
Skill (Emphasis): Rank – Attribute
Kenjutsu (Katana): 4 - Agility
Iajitsu: 3 - Reflexes
Battle: 1 - Perception
Kyujutsu: 2 - Reflexes
Defense: 2 - Reflexes
Investigation (notice): 3 - Perception

Sincerity: 2 - Awareness
Etiquette: 2 - Awareness
Courtier: 2 - Awareness
Artisan(Poetry) 2- Awareness

School Techniques / Spells
Voice of honor:
(Honor-4) to Wounds. +1k0 to all attackrolls in attack stance.
Katas / Kihos

Advantages:
Virtous
Disadvantages:
Idealistic
Bad fortune (secret lover)
Dark fate
2 point Phobia (dogs)
Heritage
Ancestor was a clerk.
Outfit:
Heavy armour is decorated with mixture of black and light blue and is motsly plain apart from the Crane mon on the chest plate. The mask of Kabuto is silvered and resembles face of a beatiful woman.
Her regular outfit is dark blue plain dark blue Hakama over white Kimono. She also has one extra silk kimono (with same color patterns as her armour) she uses for formal occasions.

Traveling pack: Spare Kimono, Chopsticks, Flint and tinder, Blanket, 3 Pillow books (one of which she is writing herself), Ink brush kit, Straw cloak, Week's rations, Lantern, Whet stone. 8 Koku

Weapons, Katana, Wakisashi.
Honour: 7.5
Glory: 1
Taint:
XP Spent: 50/40

1. WHAT CLAN DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
Crane
2. WHAT FAMILY DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
Daidoji
3. IS YOUR CHARACTER A BUSHI, A SHUGENJA, OR A COURTIER?
Bushi
4. HOW WOULD OTHERS DESCRIBE YOUR CHARACTER’S APPEARANCE?
Koi is of medium height and while she is thin, her body is all sinew. She keeps her hair long and bleaches it white in style of her clan. She has rarely trouble keeping her On. She has Daidoji mon tattod to her wrist as is traditional in the family.
5. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S PRIMARY MOTIVATION?
To serve her clan and eventually become member of th Empress Guard, which has been her dream since she was a child
6. WHO IS THE PERSON YOUR CHARACTER TRUSTS MOST IN THE WORLD?
Her mother, a scorpion Junshin hastily married to the Crane.
7. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S GREATEST STRENGTH AND WEAKNESS?
Apart from her obvious martial strenght, she is she is competent in the ways of the court even if she prefers to remain silent when the clans courtiers are speaking. Also even if she is idealistic, she is not naive.
8. WHAT DOES YOUR CHARACTER THINK OF BUSHIDO?
To Koi, Bushido is everything. To her, the samurai's worth is measured by how he/she follows Bushido. 
9. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S OPINION OF HIS CLAN?
Koi sees Crane as the more honorable version of Scorpion. However she dislikes the way the clan occasionally acts outside the tenets of Bushido in both its manipulations and its methods of warfare.
10. IS YOUR CHARACTER MARRIED?
Koi is still unmarried but her family has recently hired a mathmaker to find her a husband. She is unhappy about that as she prefers women, but is ready to do her duty and doesn't complain.
11. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY PREJUDICES?
She has is distrustful of the scorpion because she knows what her mother wnet through for believing in bushido. Still she knows Junshin exist within the clan and is filling to give them benefit of doubt.
12. TO WHOM DOES YOUR CHARACTER OWE THE MOST LOYALTY?
Her clan
13. WHAT ARE YOUR CHARACTER’S FAVORITE AND LEAST FAVORITE THINGS?
Koi likes stories. She is an avid reader and always has atleast one book in her backbag. She hates dogs.
14. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY RECURRING MANNERISMS?
She has habit of staring bit more than most find comfortable. She also keeps a pillow book as a sort of diary.
15. WHAT ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER’S EMOTIONS?
Koi is usually rather sour and cynical, something which helps her keep her On.
16. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER HANDLE A SUBORDINATE’S IMPROPER BEHAVIOR?
Failure due to lack of ability can be excused. Failure to follow bushido cannot. She generally gives people second change though.
17. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER’S PARENTS DESCRIBE HIM?
Koi's mother is proud that she managed to teach her daugther to value Bushido as highly as she does. Her father is more distant and has been posted as Yojimbo to a courtier in Dragon clan's lands for last few years. 
18. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S HIGHEST AMBITION?
To become part of the Empress Guard.
19. HOW RELIGIOUS IS YOUR CHARACTER?
While she respects and believes in both Fortunes and Shin Tao, she considers Bushido more important than either.
20. HOW WILL YOUR CHARACTER DIE?
[/size]

Pumpkin Seeds

Keep in mind that Idealist is an actual Disadvantage you can take as well.  Also you may want to take an Obligation which you can make toward either my character or Katina's.  I believe that is 5 points there, mixed with 3 from Bad Fortune is 8.  Then can take the 2 points in Phobia for dogs for 10.  Dark Fate is pretty bad, especially for someone that wants to be a guard of the Empress.

ofDelusions

Firstly, I have Idealist, I just typed Dark fate twice for some reason. Maybe because Dark fate is awesome. From it you get Xp, many free lives and plot hook!

Could get Obligation to replace either it or Idealist maybe. (Idealist is is pretty bad for someone who uses Honor for both HP and armor when I get the Strenght of the Crane kata.

Edit: also didn't realise you could take Disadvantage like Obligation on other players.

Kokaine

If there's still room, Pumpkin is helping me work on a concept >.>
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Katina Tarask

Pumpkin Seeds