Need help getting roleplays

Started by Hattorifaith, November 22, 2010, 08:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hattorifaith

I'm on the end of my rope, here. Most of my requests get shot down, and those that don't are either done halfheartedly or die soon after. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and few people tell me why when they drop a thread. I can barely remember the last time I got a request for a thread I was actually in the mood in. I can't bump my requests thread because I'm out of ideas to add to it withough simply padding it, and I don't want to add things to the descriptions because it will limit what each story idea can do.

Furthermore, finding people through the matrix is impossible since the lists of fetishes there don't match the lists in my own O/O, even in the automated on offs provided. I just don't know what to do anymore...
Ons and Offs

Please tell me if I've done something wrong!

HairyHeretic

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, as it's something most of us will experience at some point or other. I can't offer that much beyond the common sense advice .. try going through others requests, and see if you can find something that appeals there.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Will

So none of your interests match with those of other members?  Just because your entire list doesn't jibe with the entire list of another member doesn't mean you can't find one or two common interests.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Vekseid

People usually specify when they won't do vanilla roleplay. Or at least women do, so at the very least don't look for 'dislike or never' in the fetishes you'll never consider. Or only a limited set, the system still doesn't have many people in it and it's still clunky.

Roleplaying needs a plot driver, of some sort. This can be one or both partners. If you hit a wall, discuss the wall with your partner. Especially if you see dwindling, less than enthusiastic replies. "Okay, this is getting dull, should we paraphrase the rest of this scene and move to another?"

You do not - and can not - roleplay each and every second of a relationship. Presumably you have a plot of some sort, and some way of driving it. If you feel stuck in a boring scene, chances are your partner agrees. Talk it over with them and see how you can overcome that. Sometimes it means giving a bit on one thing or another for the sake of the story - but these are usually minor details and tone.

Zeitgeist

Hey Hattorifaith. Don't get discouraged. Not that you need my assurances, but you're a good writer, looking back on some of your posts. That said, your question wasn't about writing but finding people with like minded interests to write with. Personally I don't take much stock in the new ONs & OFFs system. That's just my preference and not a ridicule of the work and effort put into it. I take more stock in the custom ONs & OFFs threads people put together. Along with their posting history, how much effort they put into the ONs & OFFs thread says something about the potential writing partner.

I have had many a writer abandon stories on me. I too have ended stories abruptly, but almost always make sure I send them a thoughtful note of why and well wishes. More often than not it has to do with an unexpected low level of writing detail and attention. I almost always look back on a potential writer and their stories to see if their style would please me. Also, I like to give thought to a clear beginning, middle and end of the story so there is at least a potential to bring the story to a satisfying conclusion. I have a number of stories sitting in 'Completed Tales' as a result of this.

Organize your thoughts, give more thought on the range of stories you would be interested in, and build not only interesting plots but characters too! A good character can bring a vanilla setting to life.

rick957

You sound discouraged, understandably, and lots of folks here want to encourage you in some way, myself included.  I can't add much to what's been said above, though, I'm afraid.

I took a peek at some of your old RPs, and it looks to me like you're doing everything "right" -- that is, approaching your RPing in a thoughtful, sensible manner.  And your high post count suggests that you're relatively experienced at RPing.  It could be that you've just run up against the inescapable, inherent limitations that are built into the whole system of forum RPing, at least in the way it's done at Elliquiy.  (Not to suggest it's necessarily different anywhere else, I wouldn't know personally.)

You've done enough RPs that at least some of them must have turned out more to your liking than others.  What do the ones you liked better have in common?  Looking at that may give you an idea of what to continue focusing on in the future.  I suspect you've already tried that, though. 

My only other suggestion -- beyond mere stubbornness, stick-to-it-tiveness -- would be to hang on to the RP partners you click well with, any time you find one.  I imagine that's what many people do around here.  Best of luck.  :)

Soran

Don't give up bud, check the ads as much as possible to see if you can find the sweet spot or just take a look around, see if there are women who mesh with your on/offs and send a pm, maybe chat some on im. I have met some wonderful friends on here after a shaky start and we tend to keep roleplaying with newer stories when the current ones are done. So yes, I have been astoundingly lucky finding those great friends, BUT it took time and patience to get to this point

jouzinka

If I may expand on the excellent ideas you've already been given, then I'd say that choosing a writing partner carefully can go a loooooooooooong way. How thorough are you in exploring their game threads, their O&Os, A&As, Intros, forum activity overall... ? A partner may tell you one thing (say about a posting pattern) that may not be entirely true, not because of a shameless attempt to be deceptive, but perhaps they are striving to be something, trying to achieve the said level... One experience I made on E is that if I don't feel 100% sure that I *want* to play out that specific idea with that specific person, then it's for a reason and the RP is more likely than not going to end up dead.

Don't "compromise" on a writing partner just because you feel you are not worthy of anyone "better" (no pun intended here). It can make all the difference between a disaster and an enjoyable RP. For both of you - if you don't enjoy an RP, you can hardly expect the partner to enjoy it - you'd be surprised how quickly it can crawl into the game overall...

Being active on the forums (or at least being aware of who's who and who does what) bears one advantage: you can find people that you may 'click' with easier. Maybe not kink-wise, but certainly personality-wise. There used to be a sticky somewhere, reading "Advice for obtaining more games" (or something to that effect) upon clicking, it read simple: "Find friends."  ;D

Personally I find that I get most ideas when browsing other peoples' Ons and Offs. ;) If I get that spark and the person passes my lustration, I contact them, see what that gets me. ;)

Really, don't get discouraged. E is big enough for EVERYONE to find their place.

Good luck!
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

HockeyGod

Wow - looks like E really jumped to provide support! I'd add one thing - perhaps you could join a group game? In group games you meet a lot of people and get to experience diverse writing styles. There are lots of group games out there too!

Hattorifaith

Quote from: alxnjsh on November 23, 2010, 03:06:28 PM
Wow - looks like E really jumped to provide support! I'd add one thing - perhaps you could join a group game? In group games you meet a lot of people and get to experience diverse writing styles. There are lots of group games out there too!
They really did, wow.

Even Vekseid!

I have to say I'm most impressed with the outpouring and thanks. I'll try to improve my request thread, but is there any specific things I should pay attention to, either in that or my O/Os?
Ons and Offs

Please tell me if I've done something wrong!

HockeyGod

Your O/O seem to be a little light. I always look at other O/O for examples to help shape mine. At quick glance just now, I found Shrodinger's to be quite nice.

Oniya

Also, when you are looking at a partner's preferences, see if they have a forum-style O/O in addition to the 'My Roleplay Preferences' link under their avatar.  Those are frequently more detailed than the 'checklist' style, and while some people have merged the two (through the textbox on the new-style), some people haven't quite gotten that far.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zeitgeist

Quote from: alxnjsh on November 23, 2010, 03:37:23 PM
Your O/O seem to be a little light. I always look at other O/O for examples to help shape mine. At quick glance just now, I found Shrodinger's to be quite nice.

I was going to suggest much the same. It not only lets your co-writer know what you're into, its an opportunity to show (and demonstrate) your ability to write and organize your thoughts.