Doomtown (A Deadlands RPG/Interest Check)

Started by Ciosa, February 23, 2013, 04:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phaia

Phaia

Quote from: auroraChloe on March 23, 2013, 08:06:34 AM
i'm sorely tempted.   :P

Hands out corsets, and six guns, a derringer and a fast horse!!

Oh yea ghostrock...dont forget the ghost rock!!

Oh yea we have a gunslinger called Spooky!!

So come on out west where the cowboys are tough and the cows are scared!!

Phaia

auroraChloe

Quote from: Phaia on March 23, 2013, 08:57:58 AM
So come on out west where the cowboys are tough and the cows are scared!!

:D

not locked in yet, but certainly batting around some ideas.  *fingers crossed*

a/a 8/21/17

esclavage

Quote from: auroraChloe on March 23, 2013, 09:08:21 AM

:D

not locked in yet, but certainly batting around some ideas.  *fingers crossed*

Run auroraChloe!  While you still can!  I came in to help with a bit of Chines translation!  Then, they roped me, hogtied me, and dragged me into this!  Help!  Anybody!  Help!

*is dragged back off into her little corner*

;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)

Nothing to see here, folks...

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

yesiroleplay

Quote from: esclavage on March 23, 2013, 10:12:00 AM
I came in to help with a bit of Chines translation!
That reminds me...
It is my understanding that the majority of Chinese immigrants into North America prior to 1900 spoke Cantonese.  Mostly because the main port of exit in coming to America in the period was Hong Kong.  Shanghai became an important portal to the Americas in the late 19th century, bringing more Mandarin speakers to places like San Francisco and Vancouver. 

Having no direct links to Chinese or Chinese-American culture, I don't know how accurate this is.  Anyone know?

esclavage

Quote from: yesiroleplay on March 23, 2013, 10:35:16 AM
That reminds me...
It is my understanding that the majority of Chinese immigrants into North America prior to 1900 spoke Cantonese.  Mostly because the main port of exit in coming to America in the period was Hong Kong.  Shanghai became an important portal to the Americas in the late 19th century, bringing more Mandarin speakers to places like San Francisco and Vancouver. 

Having no direct links to Chinese or Chinese-American culture, I don't know how accurate this is.  Anyone know?

I also am not an expert with Chinese history.  I only know a bit of the national tongue.  From my own speculation, what you stated sounds very plausible as there would be a lot of disenfranchised Cantonese as a result of the opium wars with the British and subsequent fallout, looking for a way to make a living and survive.

I also suspect that a good number in southern China would be under the grips of the last dynasty, the Ming dynasty.  This would be the decades before the resentment towards the Western world broke out and the Boxer Rebellion of the early 1900s so that would also be a time of great poverty and want with large numbers looking to immigrate and find a way to survive.

Either way, those Chinese most likely would represent the poorer sections of the populations, the former farmers, the uneducated and unskilled laborers who would find themselves without jobs, and other types like this.

Like I said, I literally have no idea what I'm really saying, just going off a basic college education and some guesswork so any authority on the matter is free to refute me with fear or repercussion or hit to my ego.   :-)

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

Madriv

Mornin' y'all. How's every lil' thing out in the wild west?   ;)

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Madmartigan on March 26, 2013, 07:29:42 AM
Mornin' y'all. How's every lil' thing out in the wild west?   ;)
Wild.  And weird.

Madriv

And that's the way we like it!  ;)

Sent Ciosa a character sheet for review. This is a gorgeous-looking game.

Crash

Good to see ya Mad!  Glad you could join.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Kuroneko

Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Madmartigan on March 26, 2013, 07:53:10 AM
I'd say two or three hundred horses, five or six wagons... and about a thousand fools.
Not what you typed, but still quoting Madmartigan!

LordMing

Okay, PM sending.  Tenk Hyu!
Klytus, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today? ~Emperor Ming

auroraChloe

Quote from: LordMing on March 28, 2013, 10:42:22 AM
Is there a character thread? 

i think the GM's want us to send the character sheets to them directly.  the 'public knowledge' thread is self explanatory   :P   

i'm working out the kinks, so to speak, in my character profile.  hope to post this weekend! 

a/a 8/21/17

Ciosa

Hey, Lord Ming!  glad to see you're interested.  Do me a favor and modify your post above (we don't want everyone knowing the nitty gritty details of your character) and then send me a PM with the sheet for approval.  Thanks for the interest in the game!

auroraChloe

oops.. didn't mean to overstep, Ciosa.  btw, you look pretty in pink n' red.   :P

a/a 8/21/17

Ciosa

No worries, aurora!  and thank you!  It's for the prop 8 deliberation.  Although I don't think I'll be sticking with it until June, when they're expected to make their deliberation.

LordMing

Sent the CS to ya mate.  And if there are any brain cells amongst them the deliberation will come out in favor of sanity and love.  Two things that seldom go together, but in this case I think it does.
Klytus, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today? ~Emperor Ming

Phaia

welcome to the weirdness Lord Ming

Phaia

Phaia

hey there ya'll come on over and take a gander at what is happening out west in 1876

you may be surprised!!!

Phaia

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

yesiroleplay

Crash

Wulfspire

Quote from: Crash on April 05, 2013, 06:52:39 PM
I like bumping in general. ;)

+1.  8-)

Mad was right, you are a wise man.