[D&D 5e] Planar Supernatural School For Gifted Adventurers [Closed for now!]

Started by Blythe, October 14, 2015, 05:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanieSappho

Hmm. Considering a second character, but should probably check what we already have. But I do have an idea for, basically, a princess because why not?  :P

Lyku

I was considering a sorceror... not sure the route of the background yet though.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

FarFetched

Lyku

I said considering.   I haven't made a second sheet, or even thought about a concept.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

Blythe

Okay. I've had to come to a decision about an upper cap on characters in SGA for now. The limit will be 24 approved sheets. Why 24? It allows more room for growth, is an even number for dorm assignments, but is not so big that it'll drive me and my co-GM completely batty. Players who are making their first character have priority/preference for approval for their sheets over those making a 2nd.

The current total of approved sheets is 17, with one additional pending approval. Once we hit 24 approved sheets, recruitment will be placed on hold. Right now, recruitment is still open.

BAMF

And Premeired's character, Dynion is up & approved for postings!

Head on over to the OOC!
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

JoanieSappho

So, since I decided to go for it, roll time.

... I don't even. I suppose this makes up for Kyra's 7, 7, 8 rolls ...
Anyway, sheet makings!

Mr L

Quote from: JoanieSappho on October 21, 2015, 02:49:55 PM
So, since I decided to go for it, roll time.

... I don't even. I suppose this makes up for Kyra's 7, 7, 8 rolls ...
Anyway, sheet makings!

Very nice set!
O/Os | A/As | | My Ideas I have taken the Oath of the Drake

Blythe

Ryven

I need a little help.  I'm having trouble finding out exactly how many spells I am supposed to know.  The warlock section explains that I know 2 at first level, but I see other characters who know 6 or more at the same level as myself.  What piece of information am I missing?

AndyZ

You also get the ones associated with your Pact, Ryven.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Ryven

Quote from: AndyZ on October 21, 2015, 04:34:36 PM
You also get the ones associated with your Pact, Ryven.

I have access to them, yes.  I do not automatically know them at 1st level.

Blythe

Need to check sheets. I love casters but I always bork up spell lists. >_>

BAMF

In looking at the class myself, Ry, I think I agree with your read?  Two cantrips, two 1st levels (which you can choose the ones granted by your pact, but they're just added to what you can pick from, not that they're granted automatically.)

Sherlock, what're your thoughts?
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Blythe

Quote from: Ryven on October 21, 2015, 04:33:39 PM
I need a little help.  I'm having trouble finding out exactly how many spells I am supposed to know.  The warlock section explains that I know 2 at first level, but I see other characters who know 6 or more at the same level as myself.  What piece of information am I missing?

For Warlocks?

We have only one approved Warlock character sheet--the character Calypso. That one only has two spells listed as added to her spell list, but I do notice now that her actual known 1st level spells aren't listed, so I'll ask ShadowFox89 about that. Other classes have different known spells, which is why you are seeing other sheets with more than 2 spells.

But your assessment is correct, Ryven. Warlocks get the two known 1st level spells, but their pact adds a couple extras to the ones they can pick from for their two known ones.

Ryven

Quote from: Sherlock on October 21, 2015, 04:49:29 PM
For Warlocks?

We have only one approved Warlock character sheet--the character Calypso. That one only has two spells listed as added to her spell list, but I do notice now that her actual known 1st level spells aren't listed, so I'll ask ShadowFox89 about that. Other classes have different known spells, which is why you are seeing other sheets with more than 2 spells.

But your assessment is correct, Ryven. Warlocks get the two known 1st level spells, but their pact adds a couple extras to the ones they can pick from for their two known ones.

Alright.

Why does a sorcerer, who is also only supposed to know 2 first level spells know 6 then?  I'm used to playing 3.5 where you gained bonus spells from having a high casting stat, so I'm wondering if that is the same case in 5e.  If not, I go back to my question.

FarFetched

Ryven

Quote from: FarFetched on October 21, 2015, 05:01:49 PM
Hi Ryven!

It is the case. D&D 5e is wierd.

What page in the handbook has that information?  That's what I've been looking for this whole time.

AndyZ

Checking, looks like Sorcerers and Warlocks both know only two spells at first level.

This is far less than the wizard, but sorcerers and warlocks both get lots of stuff that wizards don't get.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ryven

Quote from: AndyZ on October 21, 2015, 05:06:55 PM
Checking, looks like Sorcerers and Warlocks both know only two spells at first level.

This is far less than the wizard, but sorcerers and warlocks both get lots of stuff that wizards don't get.

This is why I was/am confused.

FarFetched

Nah, they get six. Two normal ones + Cantrips. Cantrips can be weaponized in 5e, and are basically the new at-wills.

On a side note, I was confusing spell-slots with spells a moment ago. Doh!

AndyZ

Okay.  Both Sorcerer and Warlock have Spells Known listed in their chart.

Wizards do not.  Instead, they have a Preparing and Casting Spells writeup.

Granted, if you count Cantrips, they get more, but many people count Cantrips differently since Cantrips are now at-will, while Spells cost a slot, even though Cantrips are technically spells.

Blythe

Quote from: Ryven on October 21, 2015, 05:00:49 PM
Alright.

Why does a sorcerer, who is also only supposed to know 2 first level spells know 6 then?  I'm used to playing 3.5 where you gained bonus spells from having a high casting stat, so I'm wondering if that is the same case in 5e.  If not, I go back to my question.

Gah, yes, two 1st level spells. And 4 Cantrips.

Will update OOC with this info so sorcerers can choose what to trim down if they know too many 1st level spells.

Only myself or my co-GM should be answering prospective player questions about chargen, please.

FarFetched

BAMF

For those curious as to the current make up of our group, here's a list of the races & classes.

Races

Aasamir: 2
Dragonborn: 0
Dwarf: 0
Elf: 2
Genasi, Air: 1
Genasi, Water: 2
Gnomes: 0
Half-elves: 1
Halflings: 2
Half-orc: 1
Humans: 6