What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakharra

Damn, might as well start calling them the Polish Nazi party. They are being just as blatant on their desire to control everything.

Beorning

Well, to be honest, calling them Nazis *is* going too far. It's not like they are being genocidal or something...

Still, it *has* been pointed out by various analyst that L&J, while being fiercely anti-Communist in their declarations, seems to be quite Sovietesque in their mentality.

Lustful Bride

The US is apparently a threat to the new Russian Security Strategy.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/putin-names-united-states-among-threats-in-new-russian-security-strategy/ar-BBo86JE?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

*shrug* meh, that's like saying the sky is blue and East will always be at odds with the West. Same shit, different day. :P

If only we could unite, we would be unstoppable! Such good friends.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on January 02, 2016, 11:31:20 AM
Well, to be honest, calling them Nazis *is* going too far. It's not like they are being genocidal or something...

Still, it *has* been pointed out by various analyst that L&J, while being fiercely anti-Communist in their declarations, seems to be quite Sovietesque in their mentality.

The Nazis didn't start with genocide, remember. They started pretty much exactly like L&J appears to be starting.

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 02, 2016, 08:19:43 PM
The Nazis didn't start with genocide, remember. They started pretty much exactly like L&J appears to be starting.

I do realize that. Still, I'd be careful with that particular comparison, as it is really, really heavy.

But I have no problem with calling L&J on being authoritarian. I mean, last evening I read some bits from one L&J MP on what her view of the public media is. The woman shamelessly admitted that yes, the public media should be politically-controlled - basically, they should be the government's platform and a tool of ruling the country. Because the society needs a channel providing "undistorted official information" from the government... Seriously, this is exactly the kind of stuff authoritarian politicians across history have been saying.

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on January 03, 2016, 12:22:52 AM
I do realize that. Still, I'd be careful with that particular comparison, as it is really, really heavy.

But I have no problem with calling L&J on being authoritarian. I mean, last evening I read some bits from one L&J MP on what her view of the public media is. The woman shamelessly admitted that yes, the public media should be politically-controlled - basically, they should be the government's platform and a tool of ruling the country. Because the society needs a channel providing "undistorted official information" from the government... Seriously, this is exactly the kind of stuff authoritarian politicians across history have been saying.

Very much agreed with this.  I do think that it's proper for people to be alarmed - not only in Poland, but on the world stage as well.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

consortium11

A bunch of militia types, apparently armed, just occupied the headquarters of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

QuoteThe Bundy family of Nevada joined with hard-core militiamen Saturday to take over the headquarters of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, vowing to occupy the remote federal outpost 50 miles southeast of Burns for years.

The occupation came shortly after an estimated 300 marchers — militia and local citizens both — paraded through Burns to protest the prosecution of two Harney County ranchers, Dwight Hammond Jr. and Steven Hammond, who are to report to prison on Monday.

The Bundy family that are mentioned are the same people at the centre of this controversy. The backstory to the Hammond's is somewhat interesting and if you're conspiracy minded there's a hint of some Federal skulduggery going on... but only a hint and only if you're conspiracy minded... and even if there is this seems a damn poor way to go about handling it.

Hopefully it all ends peacefully.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: consortium11 on January 03, 2016, 02:54:23 AM
A bunch of militia types, apparently armed, just occupied the headquarters of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

The Bundy family that are mentioned are the same people at the centre of this controversy. The backstory to the Hammond's is somewhat interesting and if you're conspiracy minded there's a hint of some Federal skulduggery going on... but only a hint and only if you're conspiracy minded... and even if there is this seems a damn poor way to go about handling it.

Hopefully it all ends peacefully.

Militia? More like Insurrectionists. They brought this upon themselves and now they need to face the consequences and punishments of their actions.

geeze I feel sometimes like I would be right at home among The Empire.

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on January 03, 2016, 12:42:00 AM
Very much agreed with this.  I do think that it's proper for people to be alarmed - not only in Poland, but on the world stage as well.

Other opinions from the ruling camp regarding the media are alarming, too. One of their guys, one who might soon be involving in "fixing" the public media, has said that the new public media are going to be focused on Christian values. Another L&J MP, during the the media debate in the parliament, accused the public TV of "homosexual propaganda"... I think I can guess what these guys idea for a new model TV are like.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 03, 2016, 08:04:10 AM
geeze I feel sometimes like I would be right at home among The Empire.

The Empire of Man? ;)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on January 03, 2016, 10:59:19 AM
Other opinions from the ruling camp regarding the media are alarming, too. One of their guys, one who might soon be involving in "fixing" the public media, has said that the new public media are going to be focused on Christian values. Another L&J MP, during the the media debate in the parliament, accused the public TV of "homosexual propaganda"... I think I can guess what these guys idea for a new model TV are like.

The Empire of Man? ;)

I'm guessing LB meant The Galactic Empire - most people would refer to the EoM as The Imperium (of Man) first.

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 03, 2016, 11:00:54 AM
I'm guessing LB meant The Galactic Empire - most people would refer to the EoM as The Imperium (of Man) first.

I know. Just teasing... ;)

Lustful Bride

The Empire of Man? ;)

Alittle of Both mixed in with some Terran Federation.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

At least if it was required for a politician to serve in the military the VA would be better than that joke they forced veterans to use now. *could rant about the failure of a system that is the VA for ages*

LisztesFerenc

The Tau have an empire though don't they? And they accept human converts. (Under what conditions depends on how much grimdark the writers are trying to shoehorn in at the time.)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on January 03, 2016, 11:28:56 AM
  The Tau have an empire though don't they? And they accept human converts. (Under what conditions depends on how much grimdark the writers are trying to shoehorn in at the time.)

They have an empire, it's just not The Empire.

Beorning

Let's not derail this thread. If we want to discuss WH40K, there's a thread for it which needs some love :)

gaggedLouise

yay - hardline Christian control of the public media!  ::) *facepalms*

Sancta Simplicitas!  :D

(No trouble with religion, as long as it stays out of an over-assertive role in politics and in the mass media etc)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

Speaking of religion, one of the most influential archbishops of Polish Catholic Church gave an interview recently, where he says that he is "saddened" by the fact that the current opposition can't admit to having lost gracefully and that it doesn't support the good the new government is planning on doing... Basically, the archbishop supported the L&J narration of how there's nothing troubling happening and how the recent protests are all about the previous ruling party being angry on having to give up the government.

I think the interview kind of shows where the sympathies of the Polish Church are...  :-(

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on January 03, 2016, 02:13:28 PM
Speaking of religion, one of the most influential archbishops of Polish Catholic Church gave an interview recently, where he says that he is "saddened" by the fact that the current opposition can't admit to having lost gracefully and that it doesn't support the good the new government is planning on doing... Basically, the archbishop supported the L&J narration of how there's nothing troubling happening and how the recent protests are all about the previous ruling party being angry on having to give up the government.

I think the interview kind of shows where the sympathies of the Polish Church are...  :-(

*starts gladly praising the 3 separate branches I have* Praise it like the sun!

They are pretty much like Rock Papers and Scissors, keeping no one group from gaining 100% power...but also means theres a lot of deadlocks @3@ where nothing gets done...I should have paid attention in policical science more since we went over other types of governments.

gaggedLouise

You really should launch a thread about this crisis in Poland, Beorning, or maybe somebody purple should branch this off into its own thread. There are several people here who are really interested.  :-)

Beorning

I'm not really sure I have the mental strength to discuss this matter regularly... I've actually stopped watching the news, as I can't stomach what's happening.

Some days, I feel like huddling in the corner and ignoring all of this. These guys are ruining my country :(

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on January 03, 2016, 03:16:01 PM
I'm not really sure I have the mental strength to discuss this matter regularly... I've actually stopped watching the news, as I can't stomach what's happening.

Some days, I feel like huddling in the corner and ignoring all of this. These guys are ruining my country :(

I understand this feeling.  :(
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Yes, I understand too. Talking about dreary and disruptive politics in one's own country - and explaining some of it to strangers - is sometimes no fun at all.  :-(

gaggedLouise

North Korea claims to have made a successful test of a small scale hydrogen bomb, alarming just about everyone else, even their allies in China. An earth tremor measuring 5.1 Richter was registered as coming from near a known testing site by U.S. geological stations.  :-(

Zakharra

Quote from: gaggedLouise on January 06, 2016, 12:11:45 AM
North Korea claims to have made a successful test of a small scale hydrogen bomb, alarming just about everyone else, even their allies in China. An earth tremor measuring 5.1 Richter was registered as coming from near a known testing site by U.S. geological stations.  :-(

Best N. Korea negotiation tactic: 'we just detonated a hydrogen bomb, give us stuff or we will threaten nuclear war on South Korea, Japan, the United States and Britain, and Russia.'

Everyone else: 'North Korea, sit down, the adults are talking.'

N. Korea gores and sulks, throwing a minor tantrum occasionally.

More seriously, they set off something, but what I am hearing is the governments don't think it was an H-bomb. It's likely another nuke, just not necessarily the big one the Norks are saying it is.