Election's over

Started by Stattick, November 07, 2012, 03:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

Only six months ago I heard someone suggesting that there might be a President Petraeus before 2020, but that option appears to be solidly out after his admissions today. That's too bad, DP sems to be a man of solid judgment and good dinplomatic and planning skills.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on November 09, 2012, 06:52:55 PM
Only six months ago I heard someone suggesting that there might be a President Petraeus before 2020, but that option appears to be solidly out after his admissions today.

Kind of wish that he wouldn't leave. He's done a solid job as Director CIA. It's understandable why he stepped down. I don't know about what he'll do after this.. but you never know with the way things are changing.

the biggest problem is that we're running out of skilled men and women who aren't always going to be solid saints. Some have come back to a small degree.. others simply fade away.

Zeitgeist

The incident at the university in Mississippi was mentioned earlier in this thread. Like others I too reject such racial outburst. Completely unacceptable.

What is also completely unacceptable is someone wrapping up a pig carcass in a Romney t-shirt and leaving it at the doorstep of the L.A. GOP office.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/dead-pig-wrapped-barbed-wire-dessed-inmitt-romney-t-shirt-left-gop-doorstep_n_2104405.html

Will this too be rejected as unacceptable, or will excuses be made? Will it be written off as conspiratorial?

Sabby

Quote from: Zeitgeist on November 09, 2012, 08:22:18 PM
The incident at the university in Mississippi was mentioned earlier in this thread. Like others I too reject such racial outburst. Completely unacceptable.

What is also completely unacceptable is someone wrapping up a pig carcass in a Romney t-shirt and leaving it at the doorstep of the L.A. GOP office.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/dead-pig-wrapped-barbed-wire-dessed-inmitt-romney-t-shirt-left-gop-doorstep_n_2104405.html

Will this too be rejected as unacceptable, or will excuses be made? Will it be written off as conspiratorial?

Anyone who tries to excuse that is just as bad o.O sometimes being a sore winner is worse.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Zeitgeist on November 09, 2012, 08:22:18 PM

That just goes to prove every group has assholes who need to be slapped with a sledgehammer.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Zeitgeist on November 09, 2012, 08:22:18 PMWill this too be rejected as unacceptable, or will excuses be made?

That depends. Did the t-shirt have one of the 2008 election "Hope" graphics on it? Because if so, I'm going to reveal to you a secret The Establishment doesn't want you to know:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Ha, just kidding, it wouldn't make any difference. But for reals? Trying to pre-emptively imply that Obama supporters would make excuses for something like that just makes you look like a hyper-defensive dick. You really shouldn't do that.

Yes, that is messed up and whoever did it should be seriously examining their life choices about now. But:

QuoteWill it be written off as conspiratorial?

Should I even ask what this is supposed to mean?
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Stattick

Net goblins ate my post.

So instead of trying to recreate it, I'll just post an outline:

At least they didn't get a window shot out like the Democrat office a few weeks ago.

But yeah, dumping of bodies should be rejected by all sane people.

Things are tense now... new culture war... fundamentalists vs intellectuals, etc. So, tension. Tension brings bad behavior sometimes.

Yes, this might be a Republican that did this, looking to discredit Democrats. There are precedents for this, see Ashley Todd. But I'm willing to believe it was a Democrat, and will wait to see what the evidence from the investigation says.

Maybe I should write all my posts like this? It's so much faster.  XD
O/O   A/A

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on November 10, 2012, 01:08:16 AM

That depends. Did the t-shirt have one of the 2008 election "Hope" graphics on it? Because if so, I'm going to reveal to you a secret The Establishment doesn't want you to know:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Ha, just kidding, it wouldn't make any difference. But for reals? Trying to pre-emptively imply that Obama supporters would make excuses for something like that just makes you look like a hyper-defensive dick. You really shouldn't do that.

Yes, that is messed up and whoever did it should be seriously examining their life choices about now. But:

Should I even ask what this is supposed to mean?

What Stattick mentioned above: The possibility it was staged by a Republican, hence "conspiratorial".

I don't think I'm being a hyper-defensive dick. People are all too eager to rationalize and make excuses for their pet party and causes when some loon or loons come out and does something like this. I'll say, being called a hyper-defensive dick about it is about what I expected. It is low-brow and predictable.

Vekseid

I would prefer there is less sniping, regardless. It isn't needed.

To be perfectly honest, I've learned that too much emotional investment really isn't worth it. If someone can be educated about something, sure, take it. Otherwise? If people insist on living in a bubble until reality pops it, it's not your duty to try to convince them otherwise. Even if they do it here, so long as they're not being disruptive.

For myself, I'ma going back to my old 'build something every day' mantra.

Callie Del Noire

Election is over..

Now comes the hard part.. maintaining vigilance to ensure those we put in office do their job. I have seen a lot of otherwise rational folk who expect seem to think that the folks elected can simply wave a wand and undo DECADES of issues.

Of course the fun part of the post election phase of things is watching Karl Rove, the treasonous little weasel he is, have to explain how $100+ million dollars of donations came to damn near nothing.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83658.html?hp=f1

Tsenta

That's what gets me, people demand fixes immediately without understanding just how much red tape there is just to change one small thing. Sure there is a lot a president CAN get done in four years, it doesn't mean it WILL due to how screwed up the process is.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 10, 2012, 06:40:56 AM
Of course the fun part of the post election phase of things is watching Karl Rove, the treasonous little weasel he is, have to explain how $100+ million dollars of donations came to damn near nothing.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83658.html?hp=f1

"Where did our plan go wrong?"
Maybe alienating over 50% of the voting populace wasn't such a good start for you. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ironwolf85

I guess netgoblins got my post too...

Karl to me at least, come off tainted and slimy, he's one of the republican "Old Guard" I've mentioned in other forums. He's used to Regan era campain tactics, and those are simply not going to work.
Negative ads are having far less effect on people these days, largely because there are so many, and so often, that they know bullshit is bullshit so Karl's superpac (which ran 100% negitive ads) was investing in obslete proppaganda in the first place.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on November 10, 2012, 03:45:19 PM
"Where did our plan go wrong?"
Maybe alienating over 50% of the voting populace wasn't such a good start for you.

Well letting folks run laws that require your largest growing minority provide proof of citizenship on the street is a start. Granted it's only in a few spots but other 'immigration reforms' like that is almost a shoe in for the other side. Granted if the Tea Party expects things to change back to the good old days with 'WASPs' ruled the polls are in for a deep deep shock.

I take exception to my brand new niece down in Texas having to do it if things down south continue the way they are going.

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on November 10, 2012, 05:30:06 PM
I guess netgoblins got my post too...

Karl to me at least, come off tainted and slimy, he's one of the republican "Old Guard" I've mentioned in other forums. He's used to Regan era campain tactics, and those are simply not going to work.
Negative ads are having far less effect on people these days, largely because there are so many, and so often, that they know bullshit is bullshit so Karl's superpac (which ran 100% negitive ads) was investing in obslete proppaganda in the first place.

Not Reagan Era.. NIXON era..  Karl learned from the minions of 'Tricky Dick'. A lot of the Bush white house staff he brought in were Nixon era junior staffers.

And Karl is a long past expert at 'hatchet jobs' for candidates.. Wiki him for a truly depressing history of dirty tricks.

Skynet

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 10, 2012, 07:04:33 PM
Well letting folks run laws that require your largest growing minority provide proof of citizenship on the street is a start. Granted it's only in a few spots but other 'immigration reforms' like that is almost a shoe in for the other side. Granted if the Tea Party expects things to change back to the good old days with 'WASPs' ruled the polls are in for a deep deep shock.

They GOP is now having a big argument about this right now.  Guys like Huckabee and Jeb Bush have the foresight to realize that his party is very bad at appealing to non-Caucasians, while guys like Limbaugh and O'Reilly can't fathom the thought of whites being a minority.  They figure that only they can protect the Constitution or something stupid like that.

O'Reilly's statement about "the White Establishment" is now a viral video on YouTube.

Fox News is really digging their graves fast.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Skynet on November 10, 2012, 07:45:54 PM
They GOP is now having a big argument about this right now.  Guys like Huckabee and Jeb Bush have the foresight to realize that his party is very bad at appealing to non-Caucasians, while guys like Limbaugh and O'Reilly can't fathom the thought of whites being a minority.  They figure that only they can protect the Constitution or something stupid like that.

O'Reilly's statement about "the White Establishment" is now a viral video on YouTube.

Fox News is really digging their graves fast.

What do you expect? they spent the last 10+ months lying and now the roosters are coming home to roost. Having your 'reporters' and 'consultants' say things like what is in the video or Rove's melt down isn't going to help their image much either.

Valerian

There's an interesting article here, discussing some of the fundamental problems of the "I can lie faster than you can fact-check approach":

But even given that, it’s always amazing to me that people choose to believe it’s better, not just for their pageviews, but for their causes, to be dishonest or to waste time on conspiracy theories or straight-up dishonesty. If you lie, you can get caught, and sometimes, sued. If you chase ghosts, you risk being thought ridiculous both by people whose opinions you disdain and those whose approval you might like to court. If you devote bandwidth to nothing stories, you waste time that could be more profitably spent researching and reporting real scandals, and developing sources of actual value. If you mislead your readers to inflame their passions, you divert them from issues that they could profitably mobilize around. If you skew possible outcomes, you risk exposing your audience to shattering disappointments and confusion. No matter how well you firewall yourself, you will eventually be exposed on some level.
It's been their only strategy for a long time, really, and now they'll have to think of something else.  There's no telling whether it'll actually be anything better, though.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Zeitgeist

Kind of blows the whole argument out of the water that Fox News and Conservative radio is destroying American doesn't? If you believe they are irrelevant and outdated, then they are irrelevant and outdated.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Zeitgeist on November 11, 2012, 08:04:47 AM
Kind of blows the whole argument out of the water that Fox News and Conservative radio is destroying American doesn't? If you believe they are irrelevant and outdated, then they are irrelevant and outdated.

I reserve comment till I see how the off year election in 2014 go.. I remember 2010 a LOT.

Secretwriter

You know, back in the day people had to believe what the ads said. They weren't as educated in politics. The youth of the nation surely weren't as involved. People didn't vote. Not like they do now. Now there is the internet where all of these truths are there for anyone tech savy enough to use google can read it. It stays forever and the facts don't get lost to memory. This makes it possible for people to know what is going on and keeps the politics from just pulling wool over the people's eyes. Knowledge truly is power and it makes people more confident at the polls. I live in Tennessee. A republican state and there were more democratic votes this go round than ever in my local tricounty area. Even my cousin who was anti-Obama last time because she believed all the libel against him clicked his name at the polls this time.

Secret's Bio | Tanja's Bio

I see hell in your eyes. Taken in by surprise. And touching you makes me feel alive.

♦ Kitty's Brain ♥ Pockets's Lucky Charm ♥ Doom Cookie Monster ♥ Shade's Spanking Machine ♥ Najdan's Sinful Little Devil ♦

Lux12

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 11, 2012, 08:46:18 AM
I reserve comment till I see how the off year election in 2014 go.. I remember 2010 a LOT.
Indeed.People have a way of surprising us.Just when you think there is no good left in them, they prove you wrong and when you think they might have finally learned their lesson, they are quicker than anything to disappoint you.

Skynet

They're outdated in the sense that they're pining for an earlier era and are scared of new things, but they're still sadly relevant.  They will become irrelevant in the near future, though, if they keep up their ultra-conservative mantra.

Lux12

Quote from: Skynet on November 11, 2012, 02:05:34 PM
They're outdated in the sense that they're pining for an earlier era and are scared of new things, but they're still sadly relevant.  They will become irrelevant in the near future, though, if they keep up their ultra-conservative mantra.

Such seems to be the way of humanity in general.No matter how far we try to move ahead, those who seem to like stagnation seem persist throughout the ages and slow us down.

Vekseid

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. "See!? You really can't fool all of the people, all of the time! They have to face reality eventually!"

You know, ignoring the provable harm actually caused in the process. It's merely a question of - do we face reality here, amongst ourselves, within a democratic process on our own soil, or do we face reality in the way such things typically go?

Although it's amusing to see Republican officials being able to publicly call Limbaugh a bedwetter.