Guild Wars 2 sandbox, now recruiting (LGBT friendly)

Started by Dhi, September 16, 2014, 04:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

Crash

Heh.  Nice.  I figured that you might.  I have been doing a major search for character art for this game.  Lots of good stuff out there that has a Guild Wars feel.

Lionguard?

Elementalist or Mesmer

This was just cool

Norn Warrior

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Cherri Tart

Add me to the interested list. :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Crash

Glad this is still generating interest.  I look forward to getting back to E and hopefully gaining enough players to make this work.

Still trying to figure out what I want to play.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Dhi on September 22, 2014, 07:43:30 PM
I'm surprised. Didn't we play together in... Shadowrun: Seattle 2070, or something? Shadowrun was another sandbox game, same type of thing.

Ha ha ha I missed this I'm trash.  :'(

But, uh, no. We didn't. There were plans, as I vaguely recall, but they never came to fruition and my character never did anything more than sit in a bar eating noodles and interacting with the GM's characters who worked in that bar.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

undisclosedtoyou

If this becomes a thing, I'm gonna play an Ele, ftw!
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

ShadowFox89

I'll probably play either my sylvari mesmer or human thief.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

Yeah I was thinking Norn Warrior (male) and human thief (female), but not set in stone yet.

Dhi

You guys all want to play existing adventurer professions?

Crash

Not exactly, I am just using it as a reference.  Neither character would look much like the actual class.  I like the idea of the every person in these settings.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Dhi on November 24, 2014, 08:56:52 AM
You guys all want to play existing adventurer professions?

I'd say that's the easiest solution.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Dhi

I see the profession system as an artifact of game balance. When roleplaying on Tarnished Coast, choosing a profession is necessary to create a character, but very few people actually integrate that profession choice into the story of the character. It's much more relevant for the type of outfits you'd like your character to wear, so naturally there are a ton of clothies.

Here we're not shoehorned by game balance or the need for all characters to be adventurers, so I find it surprising to want to continue using those eight choices. There's nothing wrong with it at all, but it surprises me.

Crash

I would guess it is more a point of reference.  I am thinking of having one character be retired from adventuring and the other more of a street urchin type.  Neither will be running around like a character would in game.  Of course I will be running NPC's mostly which is fine.  I like the idea of playing a tavern wench or shopkeeper too.

FlamingAce242

I would be quite interested in a GW2 game. I recently got back into it and I am quite enjoying it again. I'd probably play a norn something.

AngelicBlade

I think I wanna be A Vigil Crusader. Or an ex-crusader or something. If I was gonna be one of the eight I'd be a Guardian.

Winds Of Lust

I am always down for some guild ways fun.

Charlemagne

I am interested.

And I agree with you on the OP, where you said something along the lines of ingame MMO RP being ridiculous. It always turns out to be a e-peen measuring contest with nothing but smut in the end.

That said, the fact that I stumbled upon a forum based RP in the GW world made me nearly flip my table.

Quote from: Dhi on November 24, 2014, 01:23:42 PM
I see the profession system as an artifact of game balance. When roleplaying on Tarnished Coast, choosing a profession is necessary to create a character, but very few people actually integrate that profession choice into the story of the character. It's much more relevant for the type of outfits you'd like your character to wear, so naturally there are a ton of clothies.

Here we're not shoehorned by game balance or the need for all characters to be adventurers, so I find it surprising to want to continue using those eight choices. There's nothing wrong with it at all, but it surprises me.

I don't mind professions, especially since I read Edge of Destiny, where Logan's guardian abilities were very well detailed. Obviously, if we use classes, I'll be playing a human guardian.

Hi, by the way.

Ontan

Quote from: Dhi on November 24, 2014, 01:23:42 PM

I’m also not a fan of sticking to professions. As noted, the biggest problem is that it forces players to make combat-oriented characters. That makes sense for an MMO, but it could be restrictive for RP if people want to play, say, a temple healer, a diplomat, an artificer, and so forth. These are all occupations in the sense of GW's lore, but it’d be awkward trying to create them using game professions.

Secondly, if you base everything on game professions, it excludes people who don’t have detailed knowledge of in-game mechanics. GW2 enthusiasts are probably the target audience anyway, but people who don’t own the game might still want to join for the setting, lore, or to interact with my suave, sexy character*.

Thirdly, and most importantly, it’s absolute bollocks that all the iconic GW1 ranger skills (dual shot, pinning shot, and various incendiary arrows) were given to warriors in GW2.
… Okay, maybe that’s not the most important point, but when I make my ranger, he's going to be dual-shotting explosive arrows, like GW rangers were meant to do.

*No guarantees on this one.

Crash

We will not be requiring anyone to pick a class or stick to exact game abilities.  We arn't going to tell players they can't do that either.  Dhi and I are not stressing to combat/dungeon aspects of the game.  This is a sandbox game so if players want to go out adventuring, great! If they want to explore living life in the game world and never venture forth to do battle, great too!

This is player driven so there is room for both and anything in between.  One thing we will insist on is that this game is not a place to argue GW2 in game mechanics. We all understand that players have their favorite Race/Class and have their own issues with gameplay.  Let's keep most of that to the Arenanet GW2 forum boards.  In other words no flame wars in OOC or IC. ;)

la dame en noir

Is this still happening? cause I'm still interested in making a Norn and a Human female.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Crash

Yes, the hold up is my schooling.  I have one more brutal semester and then Dhi and I will get this started if we still have the interest.

AngelicBlade

Well I'm definitely still interested. Really wanna make my Half Norn. Also I can't remember if this was answered already but when does this take place? Before 2 or During? Or after?

Dhi

We're thinking during GW2, in the year 1327-1328 AE, which is what players see if they log in right now. It's after the attack on Lion's Arch, and the city is in the process of rebuilding.

Here's a timeline to put 1327 AE in some context: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Timeline

Crash

Yeah, mostly because most of what I know of the world is from GW2 and that is the timeline I am familiar with. ;)

ShadowFox89

Very tempting to play my asuran engineer.... who likes doing elixir experiments.
Call me Shadow
My A/A