News:

Main Menu

Music Players

Started by Raveled, November 06, 2009, 06:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raveled

If this isn't the right forum, feel free to move it.

Recently I've had to move my files from one computer to the next, after a disastrous foray with Windows 7.  This is causing me to reevaluate several programs I've been using for quite a long time.  One of the one's I'm looking at is iTunes.

I've largely used iTunes, not as a peripheral to my iPod (long story short, mine broke about a year ago) but simply as a music player.  I'm now looking at other options for a music player, in particular one that doesn't have as many unnecessary bells and whistles as iTunes.  Obviously, I'd still like to play mp3s, and the more supported file types the better.  However, I'd also like the ability to create and update playlists easily, which iTunes does well, along with listening to podcasts.

ATM, I'm leaning towards Winamp, possibly with some modules.  However, I figured I'd throw the question open to E as see what I get.
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Talia

Jet audio is pretty good. You can down load from cnet.com. I also use VLC media player. Don't know if this helps, but options to look into.
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Azrael

I am a Winamp user of many years and mind it simple, easy to use, and capable of doing anything I want it to, supporting a good range of file types.
Non-binary, sometimes femme-ish, fae tiger.

Lilias

I've used Winamp since 2001 and don't plan to change unless it goes off the market. Simple, quick, no-frills, and it doesn't gobble up resources. That's about all I ask from my player, so... if it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Krysia

I'm an iTunes user and with the new update they just released it's rather easy to use now. The new mini player option is really tiny now and I love how you can minimize it to your system tray.

I also for years used winamp and I like how it's customizable compared to iTunes, that dull gray color just is bleh I say. One thing I really like about winamp was the ability to watch random stuff through their tv stream plug in. :)

Risa

I've been an iTunes user for many years, and I have dabbled in a few others, such as Winamp, Windows Media Player, and Musicmatch Jukebox. There's no real favorite for me, but iTunes just seems to be the easiest to use, so I'd recommend that.

uprentiss

lol i love quicktime but it doesnt have a library option i dont think

but other then that you could try real jukebox

Pierre

I'd recommend Winamp. If you ever get another iPod you can easily sync your music from Winamp using the ml_ipod plugin, which I believe is now included with Winamp by default.

Jooo

I use Rhythmbox.
Ok, the main reason for that is that it comes with Ubuntu, but i genuinely really like it and if you're migrating from iTunes then you'll find it easy as the interface is virtually the same except with the all important addition of a quick play list type thing.

Moonsword

I'm pretty sure Rhythmbox depends on either KDE or Gnome, which is going to make getting it to work on Windows very... interesting.  It's possible, via Cygwin, but it's going to be unpleasant, even if you do know how to do it.

*checks*

Yeah.  Gnome.  Unless you're using some flavor of Linux or Unix, I wouldn't try it.

I generally just use Windows Media Player or Winamp, but then, I don't tend to setup a lot of playlists.
Doing better now.  I think.  We'll see.