The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Started by Jester, May 05, 2009, 05:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

I have just started playing this and like all RPG i cant decide what character to play.

Anyone recommend thief, mage or fighter? Or a mix?

Inkidu

Hmm particularly tricky question. I think I pretty much do custom work nowadays. I have to ask first. Have you left the tutorial dungeon yet?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jester

Yep. But i saved it just before i left so i can easily start a new char.

So far i have a Ranger type character and am enjoying using the bow and a long sword.

Inkidu

Quote from: Jester on May 05, 2009, 07:07:57 AM
Yep. But i saved it just before i left so i can easily start a new char.

So far i have a Ranger type character and am enjoying using the bow and a long sword.
What kind of character did the guy say you would be best at? Because that more or less picks up on your playing style.

Lets see though, Ranger. Bow Longsword That's strength and agility, endurance is always important (Controls hit points) so work on skills that up these stats (I wouldn't go beyond five skill-ups  per level)

Oh and don't Level up past 20 this is when the loot is the best and the monsters just get harder for no increased reward. (You'll most likely end up level 21 or 22 anyways that's okay just don't shoot for 50.)

For a better analysis I'd need your whole stat sheet.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jester

What do you normally play as?

Is a mage or a pure fighter more fun than a ranger?

Inkidu

Quote from: Jester on May 05, 2009, 07:17:55 AM
What do you normally play as?

Is a mage or a pure fighter more fun than a ranger?
Oh I'm into rather kooky builds but haven't been able to play it for a while. I created something called a spell arrow he had ten different bows with different effects and magical defenses.

My most recent normal build was a modified spellsword I took out some of the skills and added my own. I like it  My first build was straight up thief though. Oblivion refined Morrowind's system and now it's more adaptable to play style. The combat over-haul didn't hurt either.

Sabby

For me, a Pure Mage is an interesting challenge to play, but the sheer amount of skills is a little daunting... still, I really enjoyed it. Very different to the other classes.

Summoning monsters on stronger enemies and getting behind them for On Touch offensive spells as they fought was a solid tactic.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on May 05, 2009, 10:22:25 AM
For me, a Pure Mage is an interesting challenge to play, but the sheer amount of skills is a little daunting... still, I really enjoyed it. Very different to the other classes.

Summoning monsters on stronger enemies and getting behind them for On Touch offensive spells as they fought was a solid tactic.
I made a pretty good spellsword (Mage Knight as I called it) and she could smash her way through the arena. She couldn't sling many spells but the destructive power put most enemies down half their health.

I created a Necromancer-y dark knight called a Necromonger it was cool.

consortium11

It depends what you want out of the game.

If you're power playing select major skills you can easy control (such as merchantile) so you can efficient level, and minor skills that you actually use.

Personally I generally used a spellsword type, but classes are fluid... it's easy enough to get high skills in everything, so your starting class doesn't mean that much unless you decide to role-play the game.

Although power-playing Oblivion is a bit pointless, as if you're really power-playing you get 100% chameleon suit so early that it takes all the challenge out of it.

Jester

I have read about putting your main skills as minor skills. seems strange.

is it possible to be jack of all trades and join all of the guilds?

and what of the fighters castle. has anyone downloaded and used that?

consortium11

Yeah, you can join all the guilds without any issue. In fact, you can become Archmage while barely knowing a spell... in effect the Fighters and mage's guild quests are both combat based and the Thief and Dark Brotherhood are sneak based... although you can go in sword swinging in the assasination quests.

The minor < major thing comes about because of auto-levelling opposition and effective leveling yourself. In short, you want to get the maximum stat increase every time to you level (you get between +1 and +5 on certain stats each level), so you only want to level with getting +5 in the stats you need. It's complex and tedious, but if you're power-gaming it's the way to go.

The leveling opposition means if you've chosen stats you use all the time, your level will shoot up (as long as you play normally and not metagame) and you'll suddenly find every enemy is a certified bad ass who... especially if you haven't levelled your stats effeciently... on paper should be able to destroy you with ease. Of course, the dodgy AI means that normally doesn't happen, but it makes the game harder.

Inkidu

Quote from: Jester on May 05, 2009, 11:21:32 AM
I have read about putting your main skills as minor skills. seems strange.

is it possible to be jack of all trades and join all of the guilds?

and what of the fighters castle. has anyone downloaded and used that?
I was the head of all the guilds, champion of the arena, the Divine Crusader (Nights of the Nine Expansion) and the Mad God (Shivering Ilse Expansion).

MercyfulFate

Tsenta

In all honesty magic, melee, and stealth are all too fun to decide between so I used a power leveling guide to max all my attributes before doing anything. Now I've completed all the quest lines including the main quest AND Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles content and still love this game!  Basically create what you're most comfortable with, don't worry about best class or race unless you're trying to create some sort of character to compete builds with other players.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Inkidu

Quote from: Tsenta on May 05, 2009, 06:06:32 PM
In all honesty magic, melee, and stealth are all too fun to decide between so I used a power leveling guide to max all my attributes before doing anything. Now I've completed all the quest lines including the main quest AND Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles content and still love this game!  Basically create what you're most comfortable with, don't worry about best class or race unless you're trying to create some sort of character to compete builds with other players.
I've actually found it very hard to screw it up. You just have to stop around lvl 20 that's a little crucial.

Tsenta

Well it actually takes a small science to be able to up all your attributes to 100 without abusing the prison system on Oblivion, if done right you'll have 100 all attributes by lvl 34.

It was fun when I finished leveling because I raided a den with no armor and walked out with full Daedric and Glass, gotta love a high hand to hand skill level and max strength! :P
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

MercyfulFate

Quote from: Tsenta on May 06, 2009, 10:44:33 PM
Well it actually takes a small science to be able to up all your attributes to 100 without abusing the prison system on Oblivion, if done right you'll have 100 all attributes by lvl 34.

It was fun when I finished leveling because I raided a den with no armor and walked out with full Daedric and Glass, gotta love a high hand to hand skill level and max strength! :P

My only issue with the endgame in Oblivion is the weapons, there really should have been a dozen more tiers of weaponry, even if just re-skinned. Once you hit the Glass/Daedric level it died, not counting expansions of course.