News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Contemporary Fantasy 5th Ed. D&D Campaign

Started by undisclosedtoyou, September 06, 2015, 06:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Kolbrandr on September 10, 2015, 05:10:51 PMOtherwise you acknowledge to yourself straight up that you are indeed running wuxia/the matrix/the Arrow television series/Metal Gear Solid where training really hard lets you become some crazy scale warrior that can take on groups of gunmen even though you have a bow or a katana or a longsword something, and you go with the following:

That's always going to be a feature to some degree in a game with a leveling system, even in e6.

Quote from: Kolbrandr on September 10, 2015, 05:10:51 PMMonk ranged weapon deflection is now also a feat, and also people can do it with weapons or shields or what have you. Give it a light or no armor requirement. If you want to be someone in light/no armor messing up dudes with guns, you take the feat. Monks can also take the feat which means with extra deflection, they can now deflect three (or four, if you let the feat also have two deflections, though that's likely a bit much) times, which means Monks are totally living in the matrix now (this is not a bad thing per se). Throw in a dodge feat that gives an ac bonus for anyone in light or no armor, maybe +1 or +2. So you can still be the lightly armored warrior, but you are paying for it in a not small way.

I don't think the extra AC is that necessary (and I don't think its worth a feat, probably only a third of one), its the resistance to fire arms light/no armoured characters will miss, but deflection as a feat could work.

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on September 10, 2015, 04:44:44 PMI would be interested in learning WoD, so if you want to go down that route, I'd be down to learn it.

I do like WoD, although it is rather different to D&D, but its set in the present-ish. Like most players I am most familiar with Vampire. I do know werewolves enough to include one in the game, but likely couldn't involve werewolf society in any major way due to unfamiliarity.

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on September 10, 2015, 04:44:44 PMI just haven't really had a chance to play a system game, and get into it.  I have the books for a few systems, but I'm a complete noob, tbh.

Personally I would avoid messing with a system until you've played it a bit to get familiar with it, but that's just my approach, not as a hard and fast rule.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on September 10, 2015, 05:41:35 PM
  That's always going to be a feature to some degree in a game with a leveling system, even in e6.

I don't think the extra AC is that necessary (and I don't think its worth a feat, probably only a third of one), its the resistance to fire arms light/no armoured characters will miss, but deflection as a feat could work.

I do like WoD, although it is rather different to D&D, but its set in the present-ish. Like most players I am most familiar with Vampire. I do know werewolves enough to include one in the game, but likely couldn't involve werewolf society in any major way due to unfamiliarity.

Personally I would avoid messing with a system until you've played it a bit to get familiar with it, but that's just my approach, not as a hard and fast rule.

I'm pretty damn open, and I'm not opposed to playing a vampire themed game, instead of a werewolf one.  I'd just need a list of books you'd require me to read, and than we would be good.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Kolbrandr

Hah, where were you guys when I was trying to put an elder vampire game together a few months ago. (This is not as new person unfriendly as you think, the OWoD system, particularly in vampire, it's a developed system and all, but it's really not that hard to grasp, you just acknowledge it's not without flaws and sometimes the GM will need to go "no, that's a messed up thing")

No, I'm not offering to run anything ;p I'm actually running a game now (of something entirely different)

Kolbrandr

QuoteI don't think the extra AC is that necessary (and I don't think its worth a feat, probably only a third of one), its the resistance to fire arms light/no armoured characters will miss, but deflection as a feat could work.

I dunno, +2 ac in all situations would be fairly nice, but you could otherwise just go with the deflection instead, yeah.

QuoteThat's always going to be a feature to some degree in a game with a leveling system, even in e6.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that if you want certain archetypes to still be viable with guns, you acknowledge to yourself that you're now running a particular thing and flavour to adjust to it.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Kolbrandr on September 10, 2015, 05:59:40 PM
Hah, where were you guys when I was trying to put an elder vampire game together a few months ago. (This is not as new person unfriendly as you think, the OWoD system, particularly in vampire, it's a developed system and all, but it's really not that hard to grasp, you just acknowledge it's not without flaws and sometimes the GM will need to go "no, that's a messed up thing")

No, I'm not offering to run anything ;p I'm actually running a game now (of something entirely different)

I'm starting to think you really want me to beg you to GM this now!  J/K :P

But I dunno, I must have been hiding in a bush when you had this game idea going!
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Rook Seidhr

undisclosedtoyou, if you're open to one of the OWoD or NWoD games, and if a sufficiently powerful laser pointer can be found,* I will undertake to run a game for a group of Elliquians in voice chat via Mumble or in text chat via Skype. I'm not going to take on converting D&D 5e for modern play, nor will I use any version of the d20 System.

*to herd the cats with

undisclosedtoyou

Wow, this is the first time I've gotten more than one person interested in DM'ing a game I've put up in this area.  I will say that the willingness to run it over mumble is a big factor for me.  I've never played with you Riveda, or LisztesFerenc, and you both have good posting history, so it's hard for me to choose who should DM. 
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

LisztesFerenc

Well, I guess its depends on which game you like the sound of more. Personally I would go with characters starting off human (or at least thinking they are), since you can play WoD knowing the fluff anytime, but can only play a character just discovering the supernatural elements once. This works well with each creature, as they typically start off normal, undergoing an "awakening" at some stage in their life, for werewolves and hunters, (plus mages, but I cannot run a mage game), and vampires are created not born, so its easy for the character learn about the world as the player does too.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on September 12, 2015, 03:18:12 PM
(plus mages, but I cannot run a mage game)
Whereas Mage (old or new) would be my first choice :)

Second choice, I think, would be Requiem 2e aka Blood and Smoke.
I won't touch Hunter (either one) or Werewolf (any of the three).

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on September 12, 2015, 03:18:12 PM
  Well, I guess its depends on which game you like the sound of more. Personally I would go with characters starting off human (or at least thinking they are), since you can play WoD knowing the fluff anytime, but can only play a character just discovering the supernatural elements once. This works well with each creature, as they typically start off normal, undergoing an "awakening" at some stage in their life, for werewolves and hunters, (plus mages, but I cannot run a mage game), and vampires are created not born, so its easy for the character learn about the world as the player does too.

After looking into things, I sort of adore the idea of trying out Mage.  Which means Riveda will run it for me.  Butttt, that being said, would you like to play with us, LisztesFerenc?  I've also got RikaWolf joining to, so we'd only need one or two more people and we'll have a kick ass party!
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

LisztesFerenc

Sure, I can't be story teller for a mage group, but I can play them. Probably an luck manipulator, that's my favorite sphere.

undisclosedtoyou

I'm still reading through the Lexicon part of the book, so I don't know what a Luck Manipulator is.  But if the archetype is as cool as it sounds, than that's awesome!
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Rook Seidhr

LukaWolf and I are chatting on YIM right now about her character's prelude…we could move to Mumble if either of you wanted to join us.

undisclosedtoyou

I could jump on, let me just finish reading through the Lexicon section.  I did get distracted when I youtubed WoD.  Youtube is a dark hole of distraction!
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

undisclosedtoyou

O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

greenknight

Sorry, the TL;DR'd quite a bit. Was anyone still looking to do this? I've been working up my own conversion for an urban fantasy (but low magic) gme for a few weeks. d20Modern is heavily influencing design choices here. Be warned, it will still be very playtest-y; rules will change on a whim if something isn't working and I don't know how long until rules are ready to begin with.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

undisclosedtoyou

Hey Greenknight, I've found a DM for this request.  It turned into a WoD: Mage game! 
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on September 13, 2015, 06:33:05 PM
Probably an luck manipulator, that's my favorite sphere.
Everyone seems to be grabbing for Entropy 2…