Unexpected Union(Wolvenrogue and Lady Hecate)

Started by wolvenrogue, June 28, 2012, 05:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolvenrogue

It was September 17, 1862, near Antietam Creek, when Union troops under George McClellan chased and attacked General Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia in the area of Antietam Creek.  Robert Dawes, A young man from Maine had volunteered and was in the front lines that day.  He along with thousands of others was wounded that day, and as the battle raged on he was left for dead as he lay unconscious and bleeding.  He woke up in the middle of the night a day later surrounded by rotting corpses and being disoriented, wandered off of the battle field in a southerly direction until he came upon a farm house where he drank from the rain barrel and the collapsed against the house bleeding badly from a nearly severed left arm and a sword wound in his chest.  He remained un discovered until the next morning when the young widow cam out to feed her chickens.

Lady Hecate

Susanna laid on her side, eyes unfocused and dry as she stared forward. All night the distant howl of gunfire had tormented her dreams. Memories, some her own and some imagined, tugged at the young blonde's mind. Was this what it sounded like the night her husband died? Had he too slumbered along, fearful of the battle? No. Timothy was fearless. He would not bring at the sight of war. Or did he? She shivered, closing her eyes as the rays of golden sun trickled pasted her blinds. How long had it been since she last held him? Thoughts like that would do her no good. He was dead. Her Timothy would never come back.

She rose stiffly, unable to justify remaining in bed for much longer. The battle sounded as if it has all ready ended, the gunfire silencing hours ago. How many lives had this one taken? How many young girls just like herself wound receive a not in the morning that would declare them a widow? She gasped  heavily, closing her eyes to stabilize herself.

It would be best to tend the horses and collect the eggs. They would be frightened by the previous night's excitement as well. If anything happened to those animals, Susanna would have nothing left. This farm... was all she had.

She crossed the threshold of her door and stepped into the warm morning. The fall air would be arriving soon. Susan stepped into the back yard and gasped, her hands darting up against her lips at the sight that greeted her. A man, a soldier, fallen by her home. Without hesitation, Susan darted forward and knelt by him, eyes eyes darting desperately to try and aid the wounded man. "Hush, all will be all right," she cooed to him, afraid to touch and injure him further but aware he would die if nothing was done. She hurried inside to find whatever rags she could and returned to his side, pressing against his wounds tenderly. "I know it stings, but it will get better," she cooed to him.

wolvenrogue

Robert woke to gentle sounds such as he hadn't heard since he left his mothers home just after his 19th birthday to Join McClellan's army.  They were supposed to victorious and find honor. What he had found instead was hunger and pain, misery and death or near death all around him.
The battle at Antietam had been brutal. Hand to hand combat punctuated by volley after volley of miniballs whizzing through the wreck of the trees.  There was no glory in this war, only pain and death , all around them.

This morning though in the morning light Susanna's voice rang true and clear, gentle and loving as it slowly penetrated the pain that fogged his mind. He groaned. I'm thirsty... Oh so thirsty he muttered through blood covered , parched lips.  His left arm hung useless and barely attached, its bone shattered above the elbow., and a deep slash gin his right chest gurgled foaming blood as he struggled to breath. 

He looked in the eyes of an angel as she held his head in her arms and her golden hair ever so gently caressed his face. he clung to those flashing eyes and soothing voice with all that was left within him.  He felt himself being lifted to his feet and though ever so dizzy, stumbling into the house.  he felt his dirty blood stained clothes being stripped away and then passed out again.

Lady Hecate

Susanna paced the room, her blue eyes darting from the bed in the spar room to the oven as the biscuits rose in the oven. What to do, what to do...

The man had not awoke since his transportation into the house where Susan had stripped his blood soaked attire and replaced it with her husbands looser garments. The two men were luckily the same size. If anything, Timothy had been slightly larger in build from years of heavy farm work. Susan, unable to tolerate the blood, tossed the stained rags into the trash immediately. She dressed his wounds and tied a sling for his arm, but was at a loss for what else to do. If anything, it looked like the man needed to be feed and watered. From Timothy's letters, the soldiers were anything but well cared for.

Susan sighed heavily and took the biscuits from the oven, setting them on the table to cool. Taking a seat, she watched the soldier carefully, unsure how to care for him.

wolvenrogue

Robert coughed up some blood and choking rolled on his side  on the bed and cried out in pain. As he regained consciousness he became aware he was in a comfortable bed and dressed in clean clothes. Though still a bit disheveled he felt better than he had in months, and struggled a bit sitting up with his limp arm tied securely to his side. Wondering if he were in a Hospital he staggered from the bedroom into the kitchen and was greeted by the sight and smell of warm biscuits and gravy.  If this wasn't heaven it was close enough for the moment.  he staggered to a chair and sat down. "mam you are an angel sent by God!" he said with as much enthusiasm as his weak condition could manage.

Lady Hecate

Susanna jumped with a start, not expecting her guest to rise so quickly. Her gaze flickered to the window where she realized the by sun's little shadow's that it was much later than she had first thought. It was past noon. Did she happen to fall asleep? She thought she had only rested her head on the kitchen table for a few seconds. A few seconds or a few hours... None of that mattered now as her guest clambered into a seat beside her.

She smiled and rose, needlessly wiping her hands on a kitchen rag. "An angel? Oh, I think not. A good samaritan is all," she chuckled. "You seem to be more alert than earlier, that is good. I'm afraid that you shouldn't move your arm until it heals. The break is bad. As for your chest, the wound was deep but as long as it does not reopen I think you will be safe. I can call the doctor if you would feel more comfortable with a professional opinion," she added quickly. She smiled warmly, watching him for a moment. "I don't know how you made it here on your own from the battle. It's a miracle, that's for sure," she mused softly.

Susanna jumpt softly, shaking her head good heartedly. "Where are my manners. A man with your injuries surely only comes out of bed for one reason and I have been teasing you with it all this time," she said, scoping three biscuits into a dish and ladling it with a healthy portion of gravy. "You must be starving. Eat up, you'll need your strength to recover," she cooed, setting him up with silverware and water. She watched him for a moment, her mind wandering to what horrors of war he must have witnessed. "I am Susanna Wilcox," she said softly. "What is your name?"

wolvenrogue

"Robert Dawes Mam" and mighty grateful just to be among the living. Lord knows enough of us have gone to the Lord over this war that pits brother against brother.   I've no idea how far I walked or by what providence I came to your door, but I am thankful for it!" He stopped and to a large bite of a gravy soaked biscuit. "Pardon me mam but I aint et for more than a week, and then it wernt nothin like this. By God this is heavenly." he took two more large bites finishing the first biscuit. As for a doctor, mam we call 'em "saw bones" cause that's what they does". I'd much rather have your docterin any day." With that he made quick work of the other two biscuits and a full cup of coffee she gave him.

"Mam I wish there was some kindness  could do for you. I know I cant now , But I promise  will... as I live and breath."

Lady Hecate

Susanna laughed, glad so see her guest was in such high spirits after everything he saw. Perhaps he needed to be this way to live above the crushing memories he held. She sighed and shook, her head, holding her hands up softly in defense. "No, no, go head and eat. You deserve it. I have heard that the soldiers are not feed well. Take as much as you like, stay as long as you need to. It will be good to cook for more than just one again," she said sadly, turning to look out the window over the skin. She had never learned how to portion her meals properly without Timothy around. Even after all these months.

She shook her head and smiled, turning back to the guzzling man. "And please, call me Susan. I ain't old enough yet to have people referring to me as mam yet," she complained, pretending to be upset. With a laugh, Susanna returned to the table and refilled his coffee, marveling at how quickly the food was disappearing. "And do not worry about doing anything more me. Just rest up and care for yourself now, you hear? I don't need you straining yourself before you are ready, Robert."

wolvenrogue

Susanne I thank you, but you said you are alone? A fine woman like you? How did you get this farms started by yourself? Robert asked innocently. Then he caught the tears in her eyes and realized his mistake. "Susanne, I'm powerful sorry about your husband. I shoulda known better. Why your way to young and pretty to have been living alone and running a farm.... and a powerful good cook you are too!  If your amenable, when I'm well enough I'll help you here. I  aint got much to go home to. The farms burned out and my parents are dead, don't have any brother's and sisters, so I'm pretty much alone in the world. Hell of a thing this war were in."

Lady Hecate

Susanna smiled painfully, her hands folded in her lap as she toyed with this idea. "Oh, surely you must have a young lass waiting for you to come home from the war, Robert."

She sighed softly and then nodded, taking his hand inside her own. "You are welcomed to stay as long as you like, Robert. It will be good to have someone else helping around this farm when you are strong enough. Some of the work is just too much for me. We were married for six months before he was called to war," Susanna whispered softly. "It's felt like he's been dead since then. He sent letters, but I could tell he had been changed. I've visited the townsfolk occasionally, but I've been alone since this foolish war began." She sighed heavily and sat back in her chair. "I know the battle field must be terrible, but it is the ones left behind that truly suffer."

wolvenrogue

Robert grew steadily stronger over the next three weeks and his ribs became a bit less prominent with Suzanna's good cooking. They never really talked much about the war, and for a time it seem to pass them by though it continued unabated. The severity of Roberts injury made him unfit for fighting and though “recruiters” canvassed regularly for new conscripts, they quickly passed him by.  His bad left arm still hung useless at his side, but at least the wound healed, and he was spared gangrene.

As his strength improved, he began doing chores around the farm, and becoming a part of the daily life there. Strangers that didn't know them began to regard them as man and wife. One day however the war again  intruded when a Rebel patrol arrived at the farm with intentions to commandeer it as a place to billet their troops. Robert was working in the fields when they confronted Suzanna at the house.

Lady Hecate

Susanna hummed softly to herself as she washed the breakfast dishes. Humming... It was a pleasant change from the depressing ways she had been living the past few months. Robert's bringing had brought a new atmosphere into the house. She was happier, brighter, and laughed more than she had in years.

Her eyes drifted up to the window, watching as he worked in the field before a knock broke her peace. She hurried to the front door and froze as she opened it, her eyes glistening with the sigh of so many soldiers. "May I help you men?" she asked softly.

Susanna held the doorframe as the commander spoke. She thought she had managed to escape the war, and now it was crashing down upon her once again. She nodded and then shook her head, unsure how to respond. "Please, come in then," she whimpered, knowing there was no way to deny the tired soldiers.

She turned and ran into the fields to find Robert. "Robert, the soldiers," she gasped, her chest heaving from the run. "They want to seize the house."

wolvenrogue

Robert broke into a run stopping by the barn to pick up the gun that was stored there. He appeared in the doorway in time to see the men rummaging through the kitchen. He leveled the long gun at the sargents head and yelled "Stop! You'll not pilliage this home! You will all die first starting with the sargent! Don't even move! Lay your guns on the floor and act like gentlemen."  "D do it Boys!" the Sargent commanded his voice shaking. Robert continued... This womanis exceedingly generous and kind . A  fact to which my healing is a testimony. I am sure she will not leave you hungry but it shall be on her terms not yours. Her husband has already paid with his life! That gentleman, is enough. Now lay down your arms, go out to the horse trough and wash up! you are foul smelling, and will not return until you have bathed!"

One at a time the soldiers laid there wepons on the floor and sheepishly went out side to wash, leaving  Robert and suzanna standing in the kitchen with the pile of guns. Clearly they had not expected armed resistance, they were tired and hungry and had notaste at that moment for conflict. Robert took the wepons to his room and locked them in,  then went outside, now carrying one of their pistols and spoke with the sargent.  "You may billet in the barn" three meals a day will be served on the porch, in respect to the lady you will not enter the house again. When you are ready to leave, your weapons will be returned. Any questions?"  "No suh" the sargent said. "One other thing sargent" "Yes suh?" "No unwashed man will eat, and any man heard cussing will be shot" "Yes suh... I will tell the men."  with that he returned to the kitchen to help Suzanna clean up the mess they had made.

Lady Hecate

Susanna closed her eyes with a heavy sigh as she leaned against the broom handle. The soldiers had tracked in so much dirt into her home. She nearly jumped out of her skin as the backdoor closed, releasing a sigh of relief to see it was only Robert. "I guess it's a good thing I decided to keep you around after all," she mused with a depressed chuckle. She focused her attention on the floor for a moment longer before abandoning her broom and wrapping her hands around his neck. "I don't know what I would have done without you, Robert. You were a fool for challenging them with your injuries, but thank you."

She smiled and stepped back, smoothing her skirt. "I should make them something. Even if they terrify me, they must be starving."

wolvenrogue

Robert hugged her with his good arm.  "Suzanna, they aren't bad men, just desperately hungry and tired, just as I was, only they were strong enough to be aggressive.  Do what you can for them. I will see they behave. Together we will get through this I promise. They can't stay long or they will be discovered, and either captured by the union or sent back to the front by the confederates. One or the other."

He helped her clean up and then went out to the porch. "Miss Suzanna is fixing you some vittles. I suggest all of you get clened up and when your through clean out the horse trough and fill it with fresh water.   You'll need to stay out of sight so best you go to the barn. I'll call Y'all for supper.

He went back inside the house and sat just inside the door with the pistol.  A position he would keep the rest of the day, so Suzanna could feel safe. when dinner was finished at night fall Robert took up a position outside Suzanna's door for the night, pistol in hand. He didn't expect trouble but wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any.

Lady Hecate

Susanna yawned as the morning light streaked through her shudders, stretching out her stiff shoulders. She had slept well considering the number of occupants of the house hold had more than tripled in one night, but better because she knew they would remain in the barn as Robert commanded them. He had shown her a new side of himself as he took charge of the situation, one that she hoped to see more often.

His wounds here healing well and quickly, a fact that brought pleasure and fear into her heart. Once fully healed, would he still want to hang around as a widow's labor boy? She loved his company, the way that he cared for her and the farm. This was something she would never ask him directly, but a thought constantly lingering in the back of her mind.

She rose silently and dressed, stepping into the hall. Susanna was surprised to find Robert slumbering by her door, a childish giggle bubbling from her lips. "Did you stay here all night?" she question softly, shaking his good shoulder gently to wake him up. "You really are something, Mr. Robert Dawes, my night in shinning armor."

wolvenrogue

"Ah ...Oh..A yes..."Robert sputtled. He hadn't planned on sleeping, but all things considered, he was glad that he had. I had better get those boys rousted in the barn, This ain't no hotel, they're gonna earn their keep." In know time he had the soldiers cutting and stacking wood. Cleaning the stalls, and watering the livestock.  Then He had them wash up for breakfast. He could smell the oatmeal and apples stewing from the barn and so could the men. Suzanna was a marvelous cook and could make the most meager ingredients into a feast. They were lined, washed and brushed when she was ready to serve, and each one called her Maam or Mssus. They just assumed that Robert and she were married.

Lady Hecate

Susanna hummed as she stirred the warm pot, waiting for the soldiers to come in for breakfast. Once they calmed down and had some food sticking to their bones, Susan began to enjoy their company. She loved the sound of a full house, the life and energy that each soul brought into the room. She had hoped to be a mother some day, a wish she had been forced to push aside with her husband's death.

Susan had been quick to learn their names out of respect, disappointed that she did not recognize them from any of Tommy's letters. And asking if they had known him... It was too soon for that, even if months had passed since his death. She smiled as the soldiers slowly came in clean and well groomed, thanking her kindly for the meal. It was difficult for her to imagine them as the same hooligans that broke into her home the night before. "Your husband sure is lucky to have come back from the war to such a nice home and wife, Mssus," the youngest said sheepishly to her as he accepted his ration.

Susan faltered to this, her eyes darting to the innocent face and then Robert. She sighed softly and nodded, smiling to him. "Thank you, James. Robert and I do our best to make this old farm feel like home.  I'm sure you have a family waiting for you too, so eat up now so you can get back to them," she said, patting his hand. Susan watched the last soldier blush and take his rations before she scooped the last of the oatmeal and apples into a dish and came over to where Robert stood. "I hope you don't mind me not correcting him," Susanna said softly, knowing Robert had overheard their conversation. "I couldn't take the hope of a better life after the war away from him. They are broken enough as it is. Now come and eat, you need your strength if you ever want to heal up."

wolvenrogue

"Susanne, I don't mind at all. Honestly I only wish it were true. You can do better though than the half a man that  am. You are lovely and kind, and pleasant and a wonderful cook. That young man is right . I was lucky and would have been even more lucky if you were actually mine.  I thank you Suzanne for sharing your home and your farm, and everything you have with one such as I.  I don't want to presume on your kindness, but I would love you if I thought it wasn't an imposition to do so. Everyday I keep my heart in check. The Lords been good to me Suzanne. The best day of my life was when I fell wounded in your back yard."

Robert finished his oats, and rinsed the bowl and spoon. "I'll be off to the field now to weed the beans."

Lady Hecate

Susanna looked down to her lap, stunned by his words. Slowly she looked up as he rose and grasped his sleeve gently. "You are not an imposition, Robert," Susan said softly, looking up into his face. "You never were so don't think that way."

She smiled and blushed softly, releasing his sleeve as she turned away. "I should go tidy the kitchen then."

wolvenrogue

Robert saw her blush as she touched his arm and paused. "Suzanna, would you really have a broken body like mine for a husband?" he took her hand and walked her out on to the porch and sat with her on the swing. "The beans and the kitchen can wait. I've never run across someone like you. Your lovely and kind and generous in a world that is ugly and mean and steals what it wants. I couldn't ask for more than you. He looked off toward the barn where the soldier were milling around talking something over. "Take those fellers there... you changed them forever.  True, my colt 45 may have motivated them, but without the promise of your kindness, they'd have shot me. Besides without you nursing my back to health, I'd be dead now.  You could have just let the animals drag me away." He lifted her hand to his lips. Someday, Suzanna, I hope that I'll be worthy to put a new ring on this finger. No offense to your husband. I'm sure he was a fine man, but he can't be much help to you now.

He gently squeezed he hand then released it and and stood.  "I think I'll see what those boys is up to. he released her hand and walked out to the barn.  "Its a fine morning. You boys look as if your packed to go."  "Yessuh. We better get back before they come looking for us. We thank you and the Missus for your hospitality. She is a fine woman" the Sargent said. "The finest" Robert answered. "I'd best get you your weapons then He said, but if you can spare it I'd like to keep a pistol. Its a might easier to handle than the shot gun with my arm."  "That's the least we can do suh" the Sargent said smiling.  Robert followed them back up to the house ad while they said goodbye , he retrieve their weapons from his room.

When they got to the porch each man took time to bow and thank Suzanna for her kindness and the fine food she prepared.  The Sargent also promised that so far as it was in his power that his platoon would see to it the little farm wasn't molested.  Robert knew that it was unlikely they could help, but it made Suzanna feel good and he did nothing to discourage the feeling. he wrapped an arm around her as they watched the soldiers ride off and quiet returned to the farm for a time.

Lady Hecate

((OOC- Pleas take no offense from my RPW post, I meant nothing by it. And I'll see what I can do about back to back posting when my schedule allows it.))

Susanna watched Robert closely, her gaze never leaving his face as he spoke. She clung to his words, unsure how he could be describing the same woman that she was. Never had anyone seen so much in her as Robert appeared to. Even her past husband, although Susan never doubted their love, had never said such kindness. It sent a shiver up her spin as his lips met her hand, her blue eyes waving softly. Was this fear she felt? No, such an emotion did not exist when Robert was around. Robert may believe that she had saved him only, but Susan knew that she would not have been able to continue her life of solitude if he had not come. Even the strongest minds could shatter.

As he rose to attend the soldiers, Susanna reached out to pull him back, closing her hand before contact was made. The men were more important than her thoughts. They would have to discuss this later. She smiled as the soldiers came to bid her thanks and farewell. It was sweet of them, and unnecessary. She would have done it for anybody.

She rose and stood beside Robert, her eyes shimmering with hope to the Sargent's words. She had not witnessed the true horrors of battle and was ignorant to how little comfort the offer should have given. For her in this moment, nothing meant more to her than the Sargent's oath. She smiled and waved to them as the soldiers marched off, dimming her excitement only when Robert held her close. She smiled, nestling against him as she rested her head against his shoulder. Robert was right. She would never be able to feel Timothy's warmth again, but Robert was here and now. He was the one that would hold her when she was sad and bring tears to her eyes from laughter.

Susanna wrapped her slender arms around the arm that held her as she leaned against him. "I don't see a broken man," Susanna said softly, gazing to where the soldiers had disappeared in the horizon. "I don't see a burden that holds over me. I see you, Robert. A man that has come from hell and back only to land upon my doorstep.  Someone who can make me laugh and a soul that I want to share my home with, our home. I have only one answer if you were to ask me to marry you: Yes," she said, turning her head to kiss him softly. "Most people think we are anyway, and that suits me just fine. You are right. Tim isn't coming back, but you did."

wolvenrogue

Robert was taken by surprise with Suzanna's answer. Hre hadn't expected an answer at all much less a firm “yes”.  He was nearly speechless. Tears ran freely down his cheeks. When at last he had gained his composure, he turned to face her and cleared his throat, choking out his words through the emotions that filled his heart.” Everything I have is yours my dear sweet Suzanna, this battered body of mine included. I hope someday I will be able to show you just how much I love you.” Robert felt lighter on his feet as she spoke. Suzanna's words lifted his spirits more than if he had suddenly regained use of that withered left arm. He had felt his life over as he lay in the mud behind the house, nearly drowning in his own blood, his mind on fire with infection.  But Suzanna had given it all back to him.Everything, his health, his honor, and more than anything his hope. For the first time he dared to think that he would have a happy home, loving wife and the hope of children.

“When shall the wedding be my dear? He asked, his smile spreading from ear to ear. He held her to him , unwilling to let his eyes leave hers. This was the best day of his life. 

Their moment of bliss was shattered by the sounds of gunfire at the tree line and a miniball whistled past his ear breakking the kitchen window. Robert pulled Suzanna inside the house and took her in the bedroon and hid her behind the bed. He stationed him self at the kitchen door and looked out to see what might be happening.

Lady Hecate

Susanna smiled, her laughter bubbling. She loved seeing the excitement in his eyes as he pulled her closer. She felt younger than she had in ages as they held each other, for the first time admitting their true affections for one another. "The wedding? Any time will do Robert. But I do love the thought of a spring wedding. The new life of nature with the new life of the marriage has always been a magical symbol for me."

Susanna grinned, hugging him tightly. She thought her happiness had ended, but in truth it had only begun. She shrieked as the musket ball flew by and buried her head into Robert's chest for protection as he wished her away into the safety of the house. She stood for a moment beside the bed, trembling with fear as to what was happening. It was now that she realized how little value the Sargent's blessing had been.

Slowly, Susanna crept from the room and into the kitchen. "What's happening?" she asked softly. "And no, do not send me back to the bedroom. We do this together," she said firmly.

wolvenrogue

“Get down!” He said. “ who will patch me up if you get shot... Can you load a shot gun?” he asked pushing it toward her. He had the colt at the ready and was watching the scene unfold in their field. Union troops were running toward the house weapons at the ready.  Robert braced for the needed defense, when a sudden volley from the direction of the  barn had the men turning and heading back toward the tree line.  To his amazement, The Sargent ran to a position on the porch and shouted to Robert inside.  “Stay low Suh!” we mean to keep our commitment. The war shall not disturb this house t'day!”

Robert watched from the kitchen door as a pitched battle raged right in front of him. It seemed that Sargent's men had the better position and took good advantage. After an hour the shooting from the treeline had ceased with no apparent injuries, save their kitchen window and several new holes in the barn.  The Sargent finally stood up and stood in the doorway. “Are you and your lady alright?” he asked as he bowed to Suzanna. “We are sir” he said “and in your debt!” “you owe us nothing but we will ask a favor... Andy! Bring that child. We found a baby in its dead mother's arms today. We are scarcely equipped to care fore it, but you and the Missus, we figure could give it a good home.” Anthony came running and held out an infant a few days old at best crying and wrapped in rags.

The Sargent looked hopefully at Suzanna as Anthony approached he with the child. "We have no idea its name, and its certainly off to a rough start in life. Your really its only hope. We found it among the dead of its family, they must have been caught in a crossfire. No soldier I have seen, North or South would shoot a mother with babe in arms."