[D&D 3.5 high-level evil campaign] Project Blackguard

Started by Autocad, December 01, 2012, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Beholder probably wouldn't be fun at all. If you assume they're anything like presented in the MM or LoM, you'd be more or less compelled to try and murder the rest of us for not looking like you do. Even without that, you'd be effectively reduced to our door warden/base guard for most activity time, since you have no way to effectively disguise yourself outside a full-on Polymorph effect (which would remove all the goodies of being a Beholder), and your ability to work through minions would be limited because your best control effect is a Charm Monster.

If you want to be a caster, what about a rakshasa? They've got shapeshifting and innate sorcerer casting, and can bake their LA into their HD and let you take some class or PrC levels .

Kunoichi

Come to think of it, one reason I'm recommending something with innate Cleric casting is because that should help out quite a bit by providing access to some nice Divination spells. ^^; I imagine we could get quite a bit of mileage out of a nice diviner, and I seem to recall Cleric getting most of the really good divination spells anyway...

Kimera

Not that much a fan of Rakshasas

I'll have another look in the books

I don't mind playing a diviner/divine caster though

Kunoichi

From what I recall, when it comes to evil-aligned divine diviners, Vecna is typically a popular choice in deities.  Combine that with the fact that most of the good innate Clerics seem to be good-aligned outsiders, and you could probably come up with a rather interesting character concept...

TheGlyphstone

He'd also make for a trustworthy patron as far as evil deities go, being the god of secrets.

Kimera

Sounds interesting

Also, found the banelar naga: 7HD, cast as a 6th lvl cleric and wizard. Sadly no LA though : /

EDIT: Oh, just noticed the Glabrezu also misses out on the LA, so that doesn't work either  :-(

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kimera on December 07, 2012, 01:27:56 PM
Sounds interesting

Also, found the banelar naga: 7HD, cast as a 6th lvl cleric and wizard. Sadly no LA though : /

EDIT: Oh, just noticed the Glabrezu also misses out on the LA, so that doesn't work either  :-(

Wasn't Glabrezu in savage species though?
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kimera on December 07, 2012, 04:07:45 PM
Sadly no

Dragloth is a drow/glabrezu (or other demon) mix and they make decent battle clerics.

Kunoichi

Actually, from the looks of things, they wind up losing 6 caster levels to Outsider hit dice.  The +4 LA wouldn't be a problem in this game, though.

Hmm.  Driders, however, could be worth looking into...

Kimera

I sort of did a drider cleric in the city of the drow game before  :P

I could use her, although I think something new might be more fun...

How about a tsochar hiding in the body of a cleric to the order the paladin boy is in?

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kimera on December 07, 2012, 05:11:04 PM

How about a tsochar hiding in the body of a cleric to the order the paladin boy is in?

Ahh see now THATS a fun idea.

TheGlyphstone

I don't have the least idea of what sort of LA you'd assign to a tsochar, though. Heck, they're not even technically sentient except when globbed together enough to form their weird hive minds.

Also, a Tsochar in a cleric's body wouldn't be able to cast divine spells. Their Take Spells ability only works for arcane magic.

Kimera

Well, making a duo like Akhando, Servant of the Worm and Xhekk Thosss on page 127-128 from LoM might be very fun to run

TheGlyphstone

That might work....I guess you could have the 'host' as your actual PC, and take Leadership to use the Tsochar as a cohort - there's rules for monster cohorts, you might be able to cobble something together to estimate its ECL.

Kimera

Well I wanted to do that the other way around, with the tsochar as the boss

TheGlyphstone

That could also work, but it runs into the same problem, figuring out what sort of ECL a Tsochar should sport.

We reallly need Autocad for this, though, for that and to answer the other questions that have cropped up - flaws availability, and the legality of doubling up on Leadership.

Kimera

I don't think its ECL would be too high, if one compares it to the outsiders we have so far with zero LA

But yeah, lets see what Autocad thinks of it

TheGlyphstone

Everything so far that's been approved has had an actual LA, that was 'baked' into the Racial HD. On the other hand, individual tsochar really aren't very scary opponents outside of a host.

Autocad

Belated reply, let me try to work through this...

You can take both leadership and undead leadership in parallel. Each cohort/follower falls under either the leadership or undead leadership rules based on whether they are not-undead or undead.

The game is still open to interested players. As usual, post your idea and I will judge what kind of LA it should have to be in line with everyone else.

You can take up to two flaws from the sources you can find in exchange for two bonus feats, for which you must meet the prerequisites at the game's starting level (i.e. at 12 HD if you have +0 LA). Please justify the flaws. I reserve the right to exploit your flaws mercilessly.

What is your tsochar question exactly and in which pages of which book do I need to look to answer it?

ExisD

Would the these two flaws work?

Aligned Devotion- her healing abilities only work on beings who's alignment is within one step of hers. Result of being a fallen angel.
Bravado- no dodge bonuses to AC and can't take the withdraw action. Being a bloodknight.

Also, can we use the artificer-cohort reduction to magic item costs that was posted earlier for stating gear?

Kimera

Book: Lords of Madness
Page: Starting from 121
Question: Tsochar are 4HD, but have no listed LA, so how much does it cost to play (and how many class levels can I still give it)

On page 127-128 there is an example character of a humanoid cleric and tsochar cleric, one being the host to the other and I was thinking of pulling of something similar (the cleric can pretend to be one of the order the boy paladin belongs to)

Kunoichi

Aikaterine, a Succubus of many talents.  Character sheet is still a work in progress, though I've at least got skills and feats selected.

Kimera

Kunoichi

Nope.  I came up with a good backstory and personality for the 'multiclass a lot' build. ^^