News:

Main Menu

Being shy even Online.

Started by Sherona, May 26, 2008, 01:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Furby

This forum has opened me up quite a bit, i am very thankful for that and for coming here.

Kurzyk

-Connects the plugs into the ground and throws the switch cackling madly..- It's alive!!

When I first was accepted as a member, the nervousness of the approval process and occasional posting in the General Chat was compounded exponentially. I remember logging in and seeing that full screen, and while my eyes widened with excitement, my heart leapt in terror. So many members, with so much activity ranging from various areas of socialization to interesting stories, all was so much to take in. It's very overwhelming.

The first week I barely posted a word to anyone and just read. So much to read! I played the word games, and added a little post here and there. But I was really intimidated.

I saw that the Shoutbox and Hotbox seemed to be the main places of social activity and by the end of the second week began venturing in there. Best I could manage were hellos to everyone and occasional comments on whatever conversation was going on, and while someone always responded with a hello or goodbye back, I mostly just sat in the background.

By the third into the fourth week I was discouraged and sad. It seemed that my efforts to feel a part of the community weren't working, so I pmed Sherona who I had spoken to a little bit in pm before. I asked her for help and for any suggestions she may have regarding being shy here and she pointed me to this thread. She also told me that the Hotbox and Shoutbox may move quickly but they are public discussion areas, and open to everyone to join in. The people in those places were always nice to me, but it was often difficult to say more than a hello or goodbye those first few weeks... especially in the evening when activity soared.

I read through the wonderful posts in this thread, and thought about what she said. I realized that people had been very welcoming and it just takes time for them to get to know me. And that if I kept putting myself out there as the wonderful people in this thread recommend, eventually everything would work out.

It takes time, but don't give up. Keep taking a chance and reaching out. It will work out and be very much worth the effort. E is a warm community with the nicest people i've ever met online. I've met so many interesting people, made wonderful friends and learned more about myself in the process.

Thank you to everyone for being so welcoming and good luck to all that are struggling to find their way.

Avaleia

I am new here and hoping to be approved but I tend to be a rather quiet person, so when I read the title of this topic I knew it was one I had to read.  Once I feel comfortable, I am usually open up more and am more chatty but even then, saying anything in a large group ties my stomach up in knots. So coming into a forum this large and that is so active, it can be a little intimidating. A thread like this is a big help, because not only does it help me realize that - yes I do need to step out of my shell a little but also, that there are others who have the same issue with being more introverted like I do.

Having said all that, the members here have been incredibly warm and welcoming. It is something that is rare in a forum especially one of this size. I haven't chatted with a lot of people here yet but those that I have spoken with seem genuine and very sweet. I can truly see the community side of things in Elliquiy. Its much easier to talk to people in an environment like this.

Anyway I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. :)