virus attacked me *sniffles*

Started by Snow Cherry, July 25, 2011, 04:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snow Cherry

I rarely get viruses, but this weekend my computer was infected with a virus that nearly broke my computer. From what I understand I picked up the virus from a website on the 14th and 15th, and ten days later (yesterday) it started installing itself. I came back home from a movie theatre to find my computer going haywire. The virus uninstalled all of my internet security; micorsoft security essentials, spybot, ccleaner, firewall. It then faked itself to be Norton (I believe it was) and told me I needed to re-activate my Norton subscription so that I could clean my computer. We unplugged my computer from the internet network and opened up the processing programs and uninstalled the virus, pretty much nipping it in the bud. It seemed to be Russian origin? Then we went into safemode and continued to clean my computer up. It pretty much uninstalled every program on my computer that had a desktop icon to it; microsoft office, internet explorer, adobe, etc. We had to recover my computer and install all of my security and internet back on it. It took a very long time before my computer started acting like normal. I suspect that I picked it up off of Ebay.com. I visited Ebay on the 14th and 15th and it is rumored (according to some websites) that Ebay is currently infected with a virus that does this stuff. Apprantly my mistake is that I havn't been updating my windows and security. I swear that I update the stuff everytime it asks me to! But I do not remember it asking me recently to update anything....  :/

Everything is ok now. But I just wanted to tell someone what I went through this weekend, and to keep your stuff updated, and to possibly spread the word to be weary of Ebay for a while.

Vekseid

Erf. Did you try Combofix? Run it in safe mode, reboot into safe mode again, and run it again.

*hugs* Glad to know you're okay, though, long time no see.

NileGoddess

What a horrible situation! I did a quick google search on ebay virus and got all sorts of nasty stories. Glad to hear everything got fixed! Viruses can be a real pain in the ass.

Snow Cherry

Quote from: Vekseid on July 25, 2011, 09:18:43 PM
Erf. Did you try Combofix? Run it in safe mode, reboot into safe mode again, and run it again.

*hugs* Glad to know you're okay, though, long time no see.

I don't think we used Combofix, but I will mention it to see if he is aware of the tool for next time.

Yesh, *hugs*  I've been meaning to speak with you about my website...  be expecting a pounce from me in IM soon.   :-)

Quote from: NileGoddess on July 26, 2011, 01:35:40 AM
What a horrible situation! I did a quick google search on ebay virus and got all sorts of nasty stories. Glad to hear everything got fixed! Viruses can be a real pain in the ass.

Thanks. I did a lot of Ebay changes on the 14th and 15th because my brother wanted to sell some stuff. It had been so long since I used Ebay that it wanted me to update a lot of crap and move stuff around. I am pretty sure I clicked on something I wasn't supposed to over there on accident. Now I am afraid to go back, lol!