INTEREST CHECK: City of the Drow (3.5) [LOOKING FOR PLAYERS]

Started by Krayz, September 08, 2011, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Krayz on September 19, 2011, 11:06:55 AM
Speaking of, Zaer, I need to ask you a favour. Since, on the one hand, I'll be GMing, while on the other I'll be playing, I was wondering if you'd mind serving as a mini-GM of sorts for me; the character I'm going to be playing has a lot of room for maximizing, and I don't want to have too many "coincidental advantages" that are just unrealistic. So, do you mind serving as a voice of reason for me in that regard?

I can be the mini GM :).

Quote from: ulthakptah on September 19, 2011, 11:39:58 AM
Well the two spells that I wanted for a constant duration is Critical strike and Wraithstrike. According to the DMG Critical strike should cost 8,000 to be continuous and Wraithstrike should be 48,000.

As for combining items it would probably be just putting those two enchantments on the lowest costing magic items I have.

So far as I can tell; those combined are ultimate cheese as the wraithstrike alone would cost a lot less than having a +4 brilliant energy weapon enchant which does same thing with a limit. I could allow that combo with a charges per day but not as constant effect.

Snake

Haha I wanted to do something a bit more sneaky with a Fey'ri using Permanency and making "ebon eyes' Permanent, meaning the drow tactic of using darkness to confuse and blind an enemy has absolutely no effect on him because that spell lets him see through it..as if it wasn't even there.

ulthakptah

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 19, 2011, 11:50:13 AM
So far as I can tell; those combined are ultimate cheese as the wraithstrike alone would cost a lot less than having a +4 brilliant energy weapon enchant which does same thing with a limit. I could allow that combo with a charges per day but not as constant effect.
The thing is two weapon fighting so I would need to buy two brilliant energy weapons costing about 50,000. Also I'm not asking if these are okay as a package deal. If ones okay, but the other isn't that's fine. And the problem with having them as charges per day is taking actions to active the items.

Snake

don't do that man that's just being a munchkin, there's better combinations. LIke one that compliments the other better. two brillant weapons calls ALOT of attentino to you in a drow city I'd want to try to make a "dark" weapon that's covered in magical darkness or somethign myself. XD like a weaponized "blade of ultimate annihilation" (9th level spell converted to be a real weapon instead of a magically summoned one that has a time limit)

ulthakptah

I didn't want a brilliant energy weapon. Zaer suggested doing that instead of the continuous wraithstrike. Also I'm pretty sure the drows like to draw attention to themselves. According to the Drow of the underdark book they have no sense of things being gaudy. Anyway a brilliant energy weapon would leave me boned if I ever have to fight an undead, construct, or ooze. Of course being a rogue I'm already boned, but I don't want to be doubled boned.

Anyway a 9th level spell as a weapon seems a little OP and I'm sure there isn't really a way I could afford it.

Krayz

1) Someone tell me what sourcebook Wraithstrike is in...

2) If you wanted the spellcaster thing, Snake, I'd be down with that :P

3) Hand-held blade of annihilation, and you're getting after someone ELSE for munchkining? xD

ulthakptah

Second level wiz/sorc spell in spell compendium. It probably was in another book at some time since the spell compendium is a compendium of spells.

Krayz

Will check in a little bit, seeing as how I'll be looking there for three extra Necromancy spells later, most likely.

Snake

Zaer Darkwail

Wraithstrike was from Complete Adventurer. Plainly said you spend swift action to cast the spell and all your melee attacks are treated to be touch attacks. Critical strike simply adds extra dmg vs flat-footed foes and doubles crit range in weapons (like keen) with light melee weapon.

But catch; is that if there is item which provides both as constant benefit he does not need enchant weapons to have keen brilliant energy weapons basically. He can use whatever light weapon to gain these benefits top of what he enchants with them.

However I dislike those two enchants being 'constant' when their normal duration is just 1 round upon activation. However I do like some hard core assassin having a power move to kill target (with greater chance to do so) so I could be willing allow combined spell from both if it would be charge item which is activated as swift action.

ulthakptah

The Wraithstrike would cost too much as a use per day magic item. The heart seeking amulet is a swift activated 3 charges a day next melee is a touch attack, and it only costs 3000.

However Critical strike is pretty much on the money as much as rogue equipment is for that price. The bracers of murder, which cost 8000 as well, give +2 attack and damage on flatfooted targets as well as reroll all ones on sneak attack dice. Which in my opinion is more powerful than the critical strike.

Snake

I have a char designed just for assassination but he's been rolled up as a lvl 20 char XD

But the Fey'ri char I have up is ready if you want to give a look the skills aren't done though

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=330634

Krayz

I'm going to rule with Zaer. An instant effect shouldn't be allowed to exist constantly. It's a contradictory concept. Activation for x/times per day is fine, however.

ulthakptah

They aren't instant effects. Both have a duration of one round.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, they have duration of one round. But we cannot allow constant melee touch attacks with anything you can hold on your hands.

But to rest your case; as there is already item with 3/charges which allows melee touch attacks (give pg number in MIC?), and one item which is stronger than critical strike but would cost same as constant critical strike......

How sounds a following proposal; Master Assassin gauntlets of Death. It provides +1d6 extra dmg, +2 hit and dmg vs flat-footed targets and re-roll nat 1 in sneak attack dice and adds +2 to death strike save DC, doubles critical threat with any light weapon wield and allows 3/day do melee touch attacks with light weapons.

With cost of 35,000gp (I tripled second highest price as it has three effects in it, as it is hell strong gauntlets). A combo of eagle claw talisman, constant critical strike and murder gauntlets.

Snake

And here's another char I made for this RP. Can I get some kind of review on it? I could use it

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=330650

ulthakptah

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 19, 2011, 03:37:26 PM
Yeah, they have duration of one round. But we cannot allow constant melee touch attacks with anything you can hold on your hands.

But to rest your case; as there is already item with 3/charges which allows melee touch attacks (give pg number in MIC?), and one item which is stronger than critical strike but would cost same as constant critical strike......

How sounds a following proposal; Master Assassin gauntlets of Death. It provides +1d6 extra dmg, +2 hit and dmg vs flat-footed targets and re-roll nat 1 in sneak attack dice and adds +2 to death strike save DC, doubles critical threat with any light weapon wield and allows 3/day do melee touch attacks with light weapons.

With cost of 35,000gp (I tripled second highest price as it has three effects in it, as it is hell strong gauntlets). A combo of eagle claw talisman, constant critical strike and murder gauntlets.
Um... Heartseeking amulet page 110 MIC.

I think you're confused in thinking that I want all these effects hodgepodged into one item. I have other magic item slots. I know I don't have anything in my shoulder slot and think some sort of assassin cloak would look just nifty.

Also you know the critical bonuses of critical strike only apply when the target is subject to a sneak attack, right?

I'm not to big on the Heartseeking amulet unless I have power attack, (sack all of my attack with a two handed weapon and just destroy what's in front of me). I have much more important things to use swift actions on when it comes to getting in my sneak attacks, and I defiantly wouldn't pay 9000 for it to be added onto my bracers.

Quote from: Snake on September 19, 2011, 03:46:28 PM
And here's another char I made for this RP. Can I get some kind of review on it? I could use it

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=330650
get something to protect your eyes and the +3000 to armor for swift activated daylight to blind your fellow drow. It's one of my plans for getting sneak attack, also a ring of the dark hidden. In a drow city it might as well be greater invisibility.

Snake

Where do you find it? I don't know which book that's in and I have alot of them.

Btw: his armor has the "dark" enchantment meaning he's invisible to darkvision while wearing it :p

ulthakptah

Quote from: Snake on September 19, 2011, 04:24:35 PM
Where do you find it? I don't know which book that's in and I have alot of them.

Btw: his armor has the "dark" enchantment meaning he's invisible to darkvision while wearing it :p
In Magic Item Compendium. It's a compendium of magical items. Lots of good stuffs in there.

Snake

esclavage

A few quick questions to whoever might be able to answer.

1) Does the cohort also treated with a 32 point stat buy and 88,000 gp appropriate to a 12th level character? Or is there another metric by which I should be measuring or charting his development?  Right now, I have the bare bones for a 10th cohort who is a rogue/fighter/dread fang and could complete him in roughly an hour.

2) Will Flaws be allowed?  And if they are, which ones?  I'd definitely be interested since I'd prefer having Rapid Reload as a feat for the hand crossbow, meaning I could spend my gold elsewhere.  On the same note, anyone can feel free to make suggestions for tweaks to my character sheet.  I don't claim to be an expert by any means and like hearing suggestions.  So far, Lird'yl is my take on the party "face" and skillmonkey, who can be vicious in combat if given enough time, a minute or two, to prepare.

3)  I'm beginning to layout the House of d'Szeossen with my 300,000 gp.  Currently, it looks like either a 5-story (4 above, 1 below) or 7-story (5 above, 2 below) but I would like some more idea if we are currently doing what was mentioned, which was having all the character be gathered under this singular House.  This will be helpful in determining where rooms are and whatnot.  If all the PCs will be under my banner, I think it'd be important to work on connecting our characters before we begin because that is really the critical element to a group game--interactions between characters which allows for the creation of new plots spontaneously.

But this is what I was thinking.

1st--Top Floor: Matron's living quarters.  (Perhaps something for the first daughter as well?)
2nd--Almost Top Floor: All daughters on this floor with the exception of the first daughter.  Also include Lolth worship center. And super large library since they are big on secrets and information. 
3rd--Middle Floor: The Elderboy, Weapon Master, and House Wizard live here.  Basically, all high-ranked males stay here.  Middle-ranked females would also be here.  Wizard laboratory is here.  Private dining and space/whatnot.
4th--Ground Level:  Biggest floor.  Common drow soldiers/rogues stay here.  Training centers, both for fighters and rogues are here, along with mess hall, barracks, armory and stables I think.  Some of the higher ranked bugbears/other monstrous race leaders might live here.
5th--Underground: Common bugbears, goblins, kobolds live here.  Smithy is here.  Storage rooms are here.  Prison is here.  Torture room is here.  There is both a public prison and torture room along with "secret" prisons and torture rooms lined with lead so they can't be divined.  Those are used for more high-risk targets like drow from other Houses.  I was entertaining the thought of one ofd'Szeossen's sources of income in addition to being a broker of information was regarding slave training and trading.  With drow as a commodity to the surface for those very bored and very rich nobles seeking the ultimate challenge.

Anyways, that's just a thought.  It might not work well with the soap opera story.  The other thing I wanted was nearby gemstone/precious metal veins discovered which the House of d'Szeossen will be interested in securing for further funds.  And the conflict that might be involved with that.  Like perhaps there are monsters that need to be cleared out.  Or a rival House eyeing the same thing.  Or even a dispute in-House on how should this newly acquired money be used.

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

Krayz

1) I think for the sake of differentiating the cohorts and the PCs a little more, do the cohort yourself, but have him on a 28-point stat buy. Otherwise, set him up the same way you'd set up a character for this (maybe sans the detail a little).

2) I've never actually played with Flaws personally, but I think it's a little too easy to pick some quote-unquote "weaknesses" and then use the extra feats to just top up some killer combos. I'm *inclined* to say no, but could possibly be swayed.

3) Well, I'm still kind of praying that at least ONE MORE MATRON will join the game, but I think if we get no one else, it would be best if all the players were in the same House, simply to make handling the NPCs a little easier; if we're not going to have some Matron PCs to handle the day-to-day, I really don't want to have to post for three or four Matrons a post just so everyone can keep moving forward... My recommendation would be to leave a little flexibility for the (not unlikely) chance that all the players will be in your House, but have some ideas for what to do with the room you set aside, just in case we get lucky.

ulthakptah

Since I'm most likely going to be in esclavage's house I feel I should give my basic background for my character.

Being a half drow obviously his birth mother abandoned him in an orphanage. I doubt his human slave father had much say in it after all. Growing up in the orphanage he embraced the way of the drow. That is to say he knew only the strongest would survive. From an early age he was hacking apart rats and other vermin in the orphanage with the knives he would find laying around. He would study the places he cut them watching how fast he could make them bleed out and die. Every once and a while another orphan would get on his nerves and they would go missing. Soon the others learned to fear him.

As he got older he wandered more and more away from the orphanage. Taking trips out of the city to go slice up bigger thing. No one really cared about him wandering alone outside the city. If he died the only person who would care was the occasional guard that wagered on him making it back that time. Adventuring in the underdark was a great place for one of the lower class with his talents to make money. He would find dead bodies teaming with treasure. As well as hone his skilled on the deadly beast in the area. Soon he was stronger and richer than any other orphan could ever dream of.

For how he go into Esclavage's house I'll leave up to her. Whether it's adoption, slavery, hired mercenary, or something else, I'll let her pick

He uses magical items to trick and get the drop on his targets. Leaving them helpless at his numerous devastatingly well placed attacks. I plan on having duel kukris, and duel hand crossbows.

Sheet will be up once I finish with inventory, still need to know if I can put the critical strike onto a cloak.

Ilmlim, male, half drow, Daring Outlaw

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: ulthakptah on September 19, 2011, 04:06:06 PM
Um... Heartseeking amulet page 110 MIC.

I think you're confused in thinking that I want all these effects hodgepodged into one item. I have other magic item slots. I know I don't have anything in my shoulder slot and think some sort of assassin cloak would look just nifty.

Also you know the critical bonuses of critical strike only apply when the target is subject to a sneak attack, right?

I'm not to big on the Heartseeking amulet unless I have power attack, (sack all of my attack with a two handed weapon and just destroy what's in front of me). I have much more important things to use swift actions on when it comes to getting in my sneak attacks, and I defiantly wouldn't pay 9000 for it to be added onto my bracers.
get something to protect your eyes and the +3000 to armor for swift activated daylight to blind your fellow drow. It's one of my plans for getting sneak attack, also a ring of the dark hidden. In a drow city it might as well be greater invisibility.

Just note that in drow city there can be faerie fire or dancing ligths on or also naturally glowing rock provide illumination. So it is not 100% ensured it works. As if I would be city guard and know exchistence of such ring I would make damn sure the public streets are illuminated :P.

Anyways in my own opinion the wraithstrike and critical strike cannot be made as constant effects and GM had already ruled so already. The charge item which has both effects on for 1 round is allowed though (activated same time by same action).

ulthakptah

Alright new question. In the DMG the formula for charges per day is "Charges per day Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)" With that can I adjust an existing item to give it more charges a day? The item in question is the belt of battle from the MIC. I think I already know the answer though.

Edit: this interest thread is really long now and I don't think people will look into it to see if we need more people or not, so if you want more matrons you might want to think about advertizing it in the subject line.