CDC and the Zombie Apocalypse

Started by AndyZ, June 04, 2012, 05:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Chris Brady

Do you know what makes humans the top of the food chain?  It's not our biology, we have no natural weapons,  no real defenses against attacks, are natural and greater than normal animal endurance helps us out last our prey, but when attacked, it doesn't help much.

What makes us the top is our ability to think new ways of killing #%|+.  We are the only species who have designed and implemented weaponry that not only protects us, but can murder faster and more efficiently than any other earth species.  Not only that, our instincts of self preservation kick in at the slightest provocation.

No imagine what happens when you remove that.  And slow us down.  And remove our ability for self-preservation.  And now watch as every single animal predator take us down.

But we have cities, where few animals would have that sort of presence.  Ignoring the fact that you'd have several thousand stray dogs and carrion birds screaming, "BaconBaconBaconMobileMeatBag" as they chowed down.  Cities are built for defense, allowing us to funnel our enemies into a killing field.  Not to mention that Zombies, never use tactics.  The police would clear them in a week.

Ah, but you bring up the movies laughably silly method of infection.  Biting someone is one of the most ineffective method of spreading diseases.  If it was as super effective in the movies, then all dogs would have been rabid within a month of the first case of rabies.

And then there's the fact that Zombies are...  Well, ambulatory corpses.  And do you know what corpses do?  They deteriorate.  Namely rot.  And it gets better!  Did you know we have bacteria in our bodies?  Bacteria that our immune system keeps under control?  And what happens whenever we die and our immune system also stops?  Well, the little germs inside you don't stop.  Worse they produce gas, which makes corpses bloat!  And bloat, and blot until they literally cause their home to explode in a putrified mess.  Such fun!

And it gets worse if the weather is North American, heat, humidity makes bodies rot faster!  It's no better in hot and dry weather either.  Maybe the won't putrify.  No, they'll mummify instead! Dessicating until they can't move.  Cold weather is worse, as freezer burn would set in.  And that just doesn't freeze meat, it destroys it.

And that's excluding the fact that organizations like the CDC are trained to deal quickly and efficiently with a viral outbreak of any kind in the first place.

There will never be a Zombie Apocalypse unless we spontaneously discover "magic".  Science as we know it is against it.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Starlequin

Truth is *$&%ing depressing. But at least we still have outbreaks of the rage virus to look forward to... ::)
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Iniquitous

QuoteWorse they produce gas, which makes corpses bloat!  And bloat, and blot until they literally cause their home to explode in a putrified mess.  Such fun!

Should never read about dead things while trying to eat... *has lost her appetite with the mental image*
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Hemingway

Quote from: Chris Brady on June 04, 2012, 06:57:22 PM
And that's excluding the fact that organizations like the CDC are trained to deal quickly and efficiently with a viral outbreak of any kind in the first place.

There will never be a Zombie Apocalypse unless we spontaneously discover "magic".  Science as we know it is against it.

Yes, that's why we never experience large-scale outbreaks of diseases. It's also why diseases stay confined to one area and don't travel.

No, I don't believe we're actually ever going to see a zombie apocalypse like in the movies ( it would be a really cool way for humanity to go, though - better than many of the alternatives ), but to categorically reject it as being somehow "impossible" or "against science" is just wrong. Just as any sort of absolute assertion about the natural world is wrong for reasons of intellectual honesty. It is technically possible, even if it is very implausible.

TheGlyphstone

When your primary food source is also your apex predator and your sole method of reproduction...yeah, you're not going to be a species very long. No zombie apocalypses here.

Chris Brady

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 04, 2012, 09:57:58 PM
When your primary food source is also your apex predator and your sole method of reproduction...yeah, you're not going to be a species very long. No zombie apocalypses here.

Pretty much this.

Quote from: Hemingway on June 04, 2012, 09:21:02 PM
Yes, that's why we never experience large-scale outbreaks of diseases. It's also why diseases stay confined to one area and don't travel.

When was the last time we truly had an epidemic of truly devastating proportions?  SARS?  Nope, only 961 deaths reported.  The H1N1 'pandemic'?  Again, no, less, only 341, out of BILLIONS of humans.  I'd say it's fully contained, limited spreading ratio...  Yeah, I'd say the CDC and similar worldwide organizations have it pretty much taken care of it.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

But I want teh end of the world to have those lovable brain eaters.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Vekseid

Throwing out a link does not a thread make. See this thread. Either discuss the issue with words of your own, or don't post.