News:

Main Menu

Mistborn

Started by PennySludt, December 11, 2015, 03:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PennySludt

Has anyone read the Mistborn trilogy!?

I'm just about to start the second book, The Well of Ascension. I need someone who has read the series! I need some questions answered before I continue. Anyone out there to help!?
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

AmberStarfire

I've read them as well as the follow up, which I think was The Alloy of Law.

They're great books. :D

I'll help if I can, though I read them around a year ago so may have forgotten a lot.

Ananym

I just started book 3 actually. Great series so far.

What are your questions?

PennySludt

i'm halfway through the third one and i'm desperately hoping it's not going to be a sad ending, but i can't find anyone to actually tell me if it's okay or not! i can't stand sad endings!
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

AmberStarfire

It's sad in some ways and happy in others. I don't think I should tell you how it ends though, Penny. :)

PennySludt

just finished the trilogy..... i'm not really sure WHAT i feel right now.... i might have to process it for a while.... but WOW

AmberStarfire

Yep, I agree completely. :)

Ananym

You're so fast.  I'm not even halfway through book 3 right now.  I won't post any spoilers in case someone else looks at this but I wasn't a big fan of the turn in the stories direction after the second book.  But I can't wait to see how the story turns out.

I think a good role play could be created in the setting of the first book.  An oppressive empire ruled with an iron fist, frightening inquisitors with their spike filled eyes, elite nobles with deep political machinations, rebellious and submissive slaves, and groups of thieves in the night. So much potential.

PennySludt

lol yeah when i get into a book i devour it!;) and i've actually started two roleplays based on the series :) i'm also looking for the next in the series

The Dark Raven

I need to get into these books.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

PennySludt

They were awesome :-)

AmberStarfire

PennySludt

yeah, they're on my amazon wishlist! ;) and the game system book!

Lady Shadow

Just bought the series on paperback, can't wait to dig in!
Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
Ambition is like a V8 engine.
~Elvis Presley~

PennySludt

Did you start them yet? How are they going? I just started the second book of the second Trilogy! :D

AmberStarfire

Which is the second trilogy?

PennySludt

Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, and Bands of Mourning. I'm hoping the third one isn't sad, with a title like that! :P I DO NOT need anything making me cry right now! :P

AmberStarfire

Ah okay. I've read the Alloy of Law and it's pretty damn awesome.

Yeah let's hope it's not a tearjerker. :/

PennySludt

I really should have re-read the first three cuz though this trilogy is technically a standalone, there are things in the first that have affected this trilogy and I should have refreshed my memory! Lol!

PennySludt

Oh my gosh! I didn't realize there's a fourth book in the second era that has yet to be written! I'm gonna DIE!!!

PennySludt

I started reading Mistborn: Secret History in Arcanum Unbounded, and I've decided to go back and reread the original trilogy because it's just been too long, and while I remember most of it, there are small details that I can't remember that are mentioned in the Secret History. So, back I go! Lol!

AmberStarfire

Cool. :) There are a number of books of the author's that I haven't read yet but I really like his stuff, so sooner or later I may end up reading all of it.

PennySludt

Oh I KNOW I will be venturing into his others in the Cosmere collection. They all tie into each other as they go! It's like diving into Madeleine L'Engle's worlds! Everything affects everything else and it's mindblowing! :D

Vergil Tanner

You should definitely dive into the rest of his Cosmere series!

Let's see...you have The Final Empire, Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages.
After that is the Wax and Wayne series, "The Alloy of Law," "Shadows of Self," "Bands of Mourning" and the as-yet unreleased "The Lost Metal."

After that, he's planning to do a Circa-1970's series on the same world, and after THAT is planning to take it Into Space with a Sci-fi series as well.

If you want to get into his Cosmere, tackle the standalone books first; that is, "Elantris," "Warbreaker," "The Emperors Soul," and possibly his Graphic Novel, "White Sand."

After THAT, dive into his Stormlight Archive saga; planned to be ten books, he wants it to be his flagship series, the series that ties everything together. The reason I say hit the standalones first is that certain characters and elements hop across from other books to the Stormlight world that you won't understand or recognise if you haven't read the others (EG, "Hello. Would you like to destroy some evil today?"). Certain characters in Stormlight can also be found - if you look REALLY closely - in other books. You know that extra pair of footsteps in the Sanctum with the Leresium Beads in Mistborn? Never outright stated, but you meet the character who is hinted to have made them in the Stormlight Saga. In fact, one of the characters in Stormlight has appeared in Cameo form in EVERY SINGLE Cosmere book or series. See if you can figure out who it is. ;)
The Stormlight Archive currently consists of "The Way of Kings," "Words of Radiance," "Edgedancer" and the soon to be released "Oathbringer."

If you want MORE Brandon Sanderson goodness, also try out his separate, non-Cosmere books (set on Earth); one is the Reckoners Trilogy ("Steelheart," "Firefight" and "Calamity"), which is set in a post apocalyptic world where he basically posits the question, "What if superpowers existed, but they always turned the bearers Chaotic Evil?" The other is "Legion" and "Legion: Skin Deep," which follows the most intelligent man in the world, who has a psychological condition where he doesn't want to handle his intelligence so he creates hallucinations that exhibit his separate skills and knowledge instead of using them himself.

Sanderson has written a LOT of VERY good books, and I cannot recommend him enough (I've read all of his works that I've been able to find >.> )
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

PennySludt

OMG now I'm dying! Lol! Thanks for the tip on where to start! That'll be very helpful, I'm sure. I wasn't quite sure where to jump into those. I did read that he felt the best place to start was Mistborn, but after that he didn't really say anything! Lol! Right now, I totally feel like I just had an entire all-you-can-eat dessert buffet placed in front of me!!! Can't wait to devour it all!

I heard the fourth Wax and Wayne book is coming out next year, or at least, once finishes the current one he's working on now in a different system. I have Emperor's Soul and White Sand in Arcanum Unbounded.