DWD Arena! - Fighting & Sex Sports Entertainment (Interest Check + "BETA")

Started by Twisted Crow, May 22, 2015, 05:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

Throws were always something I struggled with to balance. I'll admit. I originally did want to incorporate a few Pro-Wresting style mechanics for characters that orientated to that kind of build. I still do. I'm currently rubbing my hands together and plotting on how to implement them.

In the past I had "Styles" which was something of a class-based system that basically reflected that character's fighting style. So taking a rank in High-Flyer Wrestler would ideally give exclusive abilities suited to that playstyle. That idea was originally inspired by WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008. While it wasn't my favorite in the series, I like that they made each wrestler "class based".

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Dallas on November 08, 2015, 11:09:43 PM
Throws were always something I struggled with to balance. I'll admit. I originally did want to incorporate a few Pro-Wresting style mechanics for characters that orientated to that kind of build. I still do. I'm currently rubbing my hands together and plotting on how to implement them.

In the past I had "Styles" which was something of a class-based system that basically reflected that character's fighting style. So taking a rank in High-Flyer Wrestler would ideally give exclusive abilities suited to that playstyle. That idea was originally inspired by WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008. While it wasn't my favorite in the series, I like that they made each wrestler "class based".

Still whatever works with balance is the better route. But in either case I hope this one gets off the ground.

tyr4n02r

Still open? Got some ideas, specifically with more Pro-Wrestling characters.
I apparently insulted Dicebot's mother, and it still remembers... you've been warned...
Mainly missing on Tuesdays, sorry.
Intro!  My Ons and Offs

Twisted Crow

It is still open, but slow-going, to be honest. Things are still kinda "up-in-the-air" right now. What are your ideas? :-)

tyr4n02r

A pro-wrestler, former Dojo student, until he got a taste of fame on a small circuit. With a small but loyal following, he enters this mixed fighting arena with high hopes.
I apparently insulted Dicebot's mother, and it still remembers... you've been warned...
Mainly missing on Tuesdays, sorry.
Intro!  My Ons and Offs

scribus1000

That sounds good to me, a wrestler veteran could make for nice interactions for characters that are meant to be new to the scene, so to speak. Reminds me, I have four more chars to make as a pool, and I should get started on them asap.
I have taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RPs.
My Ons & Offs (Updated 6/3/2022) and Ideas are here.

The Peak Elliquiy Experience™:
Quote from: roulette on March 15, 2014, 06:59:18 PM"What? Ewww... Well, maybe... actually." -adds to own O&Os-

Twisted Crow

All of this sounds promising. To be honest though, I am considering adding a loose form of "character classes" back in the system. I plan on keeping it simple though, so little changes would need to be made to already existing characters. ;)

Pink Kitten

Just wanted to throw in - tentatively - that if this gets off the ground again, I might be interested in joining ^_^

Twisted Crow

That is more good news! I am a bit mentally exhausted today from helping with a family members roof but I should have some updates on this while awaiting a few more players (new or returning ones, either or). ;)

Drake Valentine

I'm around if I can keep my character/stats from before. Have to re-read over things to get use to system again.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Twisted Crow

Awesome! You two would be great contributions to the game as well. ;) And don't worry... I've been gone a while. Even *I* am looking back at the rules to refresh my memory. :D I might be ready to get this rolling again officially with perhaps one or two more. But for right now, I think people can start challenges with each other for a bit if they feel like they understand the rules. Otherwise, Practice Matches are always harmless. The actual tournament idea is gonna wait for more players, though.

The past characters that remain inactive might be put on the shelf for now until I decide on what to do with them (provided that their respective players dont ever return after a while). They might become NPC's or put up for grabs or something. However, until I make a decision on it and make a deadline... they will be inactive and on the shelf for the time being.

I was recently asked about my old styles system and I felt compelled to reiterate this here. As far as styles go, one of the reasons I left the attributes and character system open ended was to provide flexibility for the writers. A strike could be a powerful haymaker, a roundhouse kick, a combination of light chops, a springboard (bounce off the ropes) that ends with a enzugiri or dropkick, etc. A grab could be a simple headlock, an armbar, a sleeper hold attempt or even something like a bearhug. As long as it is something like a hold that could be sustained.

There may be a time when I implement a *loose* class-system that embodies fighting styles that retain simplicity and diversity. But for now, I am trying to keep the game simple and easy to understand while giving the players as much freedom as possible with their performance and roleplaying. The one thing I am trying to avoid is making the game too complicated to the point where fights themselves last more than a couple of pages.

Currently hashing out even more trait options. A few that may open up more options for just the kind of character they want in that DWD arena and its ongoing drama.

And yes, I'm even "refreshing my memory" on some of the rules, too. ;)

Still open for more players, of course. I am glad to see people still interested. :D

Edit: Actually, I think I have an idea that might give High-Flyer types a little something-something. An Aerial stat with its own mechanic.

Twisted Crow

Now accepting new character applications, although I am working in the Aerial stat. It will go below the Throw stat and above the Sex stat.

About the 'Aerial' statistic...

How I think it will work (without extra Traits) is that it will act as a blend of offense and defense and behave in a contextual manner where (and when) a fighter decides to go high risk and be a daredevil. For the one performing the dive or springboard manuever, it will behave as Accuracy and, for the defender, Aerial will also act as their Defense Bonus against it. There is a variety of outcomes for the attacker upon success (or failure). It can be a big time strike that levels an opponent (think diving axe handle, drop kicks, diving elbows or karate kicks, etc) or an instant throw (like a fancy "air-to-grab" arm drag or a hurricanrana). The damage would be based on the stat that the attack relates to in nature with an additional pay-off.

However, it wouldnt be high risk without severe drawbacks to go with it. If it is a miss or "botched" move, they can take damage on their own turn and be vulnerable on their opponents next action. I imagine this is also going to be basic, but contextual. For instance, Violet goes to the top rope for a diving dropkick on a standing opponent but critically fails (fumbles), loses her next turn and takes hard damage from falling. Or she critically fails on a hurricanrana (the instant throw attempt) and instead finds herself countergrabbed into a hold or a throw. A normal failure could be tripping on the ropes and getting caught for that turn, or losing the turn because she could have been slow about climbing the turnbuckle. Now she's vulnerable and loses her defense bonus toward her opponent this turn.

I am planning to add a couple of Traits that further enhance this playstyle. Such as something like "High-Flyer", which could enhance the character's offensive and defensive options in aerial situations. And perhaps a trait that reduces the severity of the drawbacks a bit (reduced damage from critical failures, not losing defense bonus on normal failures). Some things that could still make them pay for miscalculating but... perhaps make it less likely to be that one mistake that could cost them the win.

New characters (with the Aerial stat on the character sheet) would get 30 points to spend on Attributes (instead of 25).

For existing characters, they would get an additional 5 points to even things out with this new stat implemented.

Updates on Traits

I am thinking of changing the Level-Trait progression from 2/4/6/8 to 1/3/5/7/9. Meaning...

Characters would start with a trait to establish an initial identity about them. And there would be an extra trait for characters that make it that far in their careers (with a total of 5 traits at 9th Level). I didnt like that 1st level characters felt like they had little going for them other than having numbers. Plus, it gave certain fighting styles a short stick at 1st level.

As far as suggesting traits, I'm wide open but I want to avoid adding Traits that are either too powerful on their own or worse, add too much complexity to the system. One trait that may give a simple boon in an area or a significant boost during specific situations are likely to be okay, though they could be tweaked a bit. However, one that would require a lot of mechanics is something I want to avoid most. I want more people playing matches. I want the fun to keep going with less time spent on having to break open that rulebook. ;)

In other thoughts and news:

-Considering changing "Climax" to something like "Heat" ... since its become a fusion of a "Morale" and "Orgasm" threshold.

-Working at making more improvements and adding much more clarity to character states. Also thinking on a "Grounded" state (character is laying down, used mostly for Aerial type manuevers as well as writing situational context, for flavor).

I may have forgotten something but I will likely remember and add it to this. Let me know what you guys think! ;)

-Dallas

Twisted Crow

More rule adjustments/ideas. Remember that none of this is set in stone. I'm playing around with these ideas while awaiting feedback on them, just like with the news above.

"Taking 10"

I am thinking of giving players an option to "Take 10" on certain d20 rolls, which basically renders their performance an "average effort". The idea is that you can put out a stable offense without risking a low roll. Of course, the drawback to this is that these rolls won't be particularly high, either. I am leaning on making this only for Hold Strength and Throw Power. However, if implemented for other rolls... there would be a price to pay for it. For example, if I allowed "Taking 10" on attack rolls.... it could spell out automatic hits and grabs for Strikes and Grabs (if the defender's Defense isn't very high). If I were to allow this for attacks, their would have to be a cost (reduced damage, stamina or something). For now, Taking 10 seems like a sound alternative for those that wouldn't want to roll on Hold Strength or Throw Power (see below). If a fighter took 10 on a Hold Strength roll, all he/she would do is use 10+(Grab/Hold) or 10+(Throw) to quickly determine what the opponent should roll against. Because of how powerful Holds and Throws are going to end up being after this update, I am considering allowing Strike attackers to "Take 10" at little to no cost... but that is still a bit iffy at the moment.

Throws & Throw Power:

Some tweaking is being done with Throws. What happened before was that the thrown character would have to roll against the attacker's remaining Hold Strength to avoid some damage. Instead, I'm deciding that Throws really need more impact and defending against them should make sense. If they are held until the throw, it should be consistent with the Throw stat (instead of the Grab/Hold stat). What I am thinking is that the player defending against the throw should roll against a "Throw Power" roll. The throw power would be a roll made by the attacker at d20+(Throw).

If the defender fails to meet or best this on a defense roll, they take either [Throw + 10] or [Throw x 2] in damage (I'm a bit undecided on this, with how Traits are handled). When combined with traits that boost Throws (and how some characters can instantly throw) with the system update coming up, I picture that this could be potentially devastating. And it could finally be a form of offense with less diminishing return (especially at higher levels).

Upon successfully defending against the throw (without traits that help defending against it), they would take straight damage from the opponent's Throw statistic (without bonuses other than Traits). There is also going to be a trait that reduce or minimize Throw damage upon successfully defending. While a tad powerful, remember that it does use up one of your characters 5 potential traits when leveling. I want to avoid having too many situations where one trait could cancel out another trait. This isn't Yu-gi-oh.

Popularity

This is likely going to be a new addition to track character progress beyond experience points. Popularity will track how well the character is known in Date With Destiny. The normal scale ranges from 0 (unknown) to 50 (legendary). Popularity will mostly function as a flavor stat for roleplaying and for determining the crowd bias during the match between the two competitors. This doesn't necessarily mean that the player with the highest stat wins the crowd, but rather "how much" of the crowd is behind a given character. Popularity is gained by doing things related to the character's current Aspect. Similarly, it is reduced when character's deviate from their chosen Aspect. Again, for right now... this is mostly a flavor statistic to give the audience a more organic reaction based on the competitors and the match. However, Popularity will likely impact which stars can enter the Date with Destiny Tournament.

Will return in a bit. As always, any feedback is welcome. ;D

Zenkai

Perhaps popularity can be used as a non-renewable resource during a match, as a bonus on rolls. Or a single roll.

Let's say you start with 10 popularity, and that'd be +10 usable wholly or in part on any roll. These points renew after the match ends, to your new popularity rating.

alternately, you could combine popularity and taking 10. So one can "perform as his popularity predicts" (take 10) a number of times equal to the pupularity rating. Only the well established can take it slow and easy, after all, and pound the newcomer into the ground with indignation.

Twisted Crow

Really, in all honesty, I generally love that kind of thinking for this game. And that is also kind-of one of the reasons why I am thinking on implementing "Take 10". Although, I'm generally trying to avoid adding too much new math to the system. The intention I have behind entertaining Popularity (on a practical level) is to act as a general guideline for who would make sense as possible Tournament Qualifiers (in the future), and mostly a guide for the player on how much hype their character's have. It's also a bit of a GM's reference as well, that I won't get into. ;D While that is a neat idea you have, I am trying to avoid too much complication in general (so that pretty much anyone can pick up and play it without too many problems). Right now, dice rolls and damage generally (at most) have an "A+B+C" formula like this:

Attack:

[d20] + [stat] + [possible trait] = [Result vs Opposed Defense]

Damage:

[stat] + [possible trait] + [rare modifier (such as Character Level), if applicable]

Aside from another idea to toss in this formula (which I haven't announced yet), that's about as many variables and change-ups as I want in it... at least for the moment (while I try to get this ball rolling again). Aside from that feeling that NC "System Fighters" are a bit less in demand (when compared to mainstay system games, freeform groups and fandom-related stuff), I just don't want to add too much math beyond the basic formula I've got. And again, some of these ideas I may not even use for myself for that very reason. ;)

I do appreciate your feedback and interest on the system, however. It's encouraging. ;D

Zenkai

Well, I love system-building and games with content such as this - I even ran two, using a version of Big Breasts, Small Waist (a parody of BESM). So luring me into your game is like luring a moth with a rocket engine  ;D

I have some time to burn, so I'd like to help you with this.

Are the rules in the https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=231100.msg11357671#msg11357671 thread up to date?

Apart from the d20+stat+trait vs. static defense, and fixed damage, how much complications do you want? Right now, as I read it, a fighter can only choose between a hit and a grab, and the latter is much more interesting because it can lead to all sorts of things. You might introduce traits that modify hits, perhaps.

To make character generation easier and approachable, perhaps the character sheet could be a "fill in the circles" style. Mechanically it is the same, but players will find it much easier to use and visualize their character.

The R/H phase looks like it could have some fun rules too, instead of leaving it freeform.

Twisted Crow

For the most part, the "meat and potatoes" of the ruleset are right. There are some adjustments that are being made, however. I am not exactly sure on how to proceed with complication, due to the lack of feedback on the ruleset lately. I've been told by one that it seemed complicated, and a few others in the past felt that it was pretty simple. It's hard to tell whether or not people don't like it or if people are just busy for the holiday season. But the goal is not to bog down the players with tons of dicerolls and algebra per turn. I'm mostly looking at (at most) two dice rolls for either:

>1 or 2 strike attempts in a turn (each being a die roll).
>Grab + Throw (Or a "Power Throw").
>Grab + Submission (Hold Strength).
>Diving "to-hit" roll (which ends in a Strike or a Throw).

The aerial mechanics are also pretty simple in my mind. And generally, players are not going to want to go flying unless their opponent is vulnerable or prone. So that part is fairly easy so far. I'm a bit lost on what you mean by "fill in the circles", though.

Zenkai

"fill in the circles" refers to an old concept where you sell the game by making it easy/fun to actually create a character. Tehre was some talk a while back about making RPGs by first drawing up a character sheet, and working backwards from that. Anyways, after fiddling with it for a few minutes:

Since I'm a maniac, I envisioned a flowchart to make it easier to follow the mechanics, but that'd be a bit too much (for now) :P

One more thing I'd like to see is environmental bonuses/penalties. Let's say a ring has nice ropes around it - bonus to aerial moves. Another one has a hard floor - hurts more when you're thrown onto it. One might be a beach, with a section with shallow water. And so on.

Twisted Crow

Due to the low interest on this and low activity during the Holidays, I am putting this game on hold, temporarily. However, I have a new project to announce:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=241647.msg11927947#msg11927947

Twisted Crow

Putting this back on the map with an Interest Check. And there is an announcement that I'm working on re-working the game setting and some mechanics. The goal is not to make another "wrasslin game", although... it's similar to Pro Wrestling but not quite wrestling. This is more like Dead or Alive (or Best of the Best) meets reality TV in a cheeky, yet unforgiving show.

Things I want to expand on:

- Setting & Story: Long story short, Aya once gave me a few ideas on how to flesh out DWD's setting and certain NPCs a while back (prior to my hiatus). These are some things that I'd like to work in that give the show and setting story hooks. To be specific on one: A drug that basically increases sexual drive and endurance (like by a lot). The fact that it isn't technically legal, but allowed gives the management a bit more of a "crooked connections" hook and could add a bit of drama and craziness outside of the fights themselves. Honestly, it made me think on Simon North in a whole new light. There will still be stories within character rivalries and actual in-ring drama, but I feel like this adds a cherry on top of things. Similarly, there is more to write on how the show prevents female competitors from conceiving as a result of a match outcome and more World and Show Lore for me to touch on now that I've been inspired on this.

- Streamlining some things, but adding a "Strip Clothes Action" feature (partly borrowing this from another game idea I'm working on).

- The game's action (both fighting and sex) might also "bend" realism (and physics) a bit more than it did in the past. We aren't talking Hadoukens and Sonic Booms (Street Fighter) or The Matrix sort of stuff. Instead, something more like Dead or Alive sort of action. Something that would need a bit of suspension of disbelief, but not much. These are supposed to be super-skilled athletes nearly bordering on superhuman, so I'm thinking of adding a few things to make them feel like they are.

- The possibility of including mixed handicap matches (2 on 1 action).

- Adding more optional stakes to fights where new sorts of scenes could be involved. One such example is a "Wager/Bet" type of stipulation: "Loser comes with me to X, bringing/wearing only Y," etc.

- Yes! I want to add a money/wage system where player characters can actually buy things (or even place wagers in their own fights, perhaps). They should be getting paid, and adding this as an incentive for players is a no-brainer to me. These things to purchase should be practical to encourage players to make money, by winning... or at least participating in matches.

- A rework of how characters receive experience and gain levels.

- More options for O/O flexibility.

- A rewards system to encourage activity, as well as encourage roleplaying O/O compatibility with other partners.

- A basic "Hardcore Finisher" option that somewhat ups the ante and smooth the transition from the Fight to R/H (sex) to be more seamless and more "in your face" with it.

- A rework, expansion (and simplifying) of character alignments and motivation. One example would be a new "Exhibitionist" alignment, that somewhat craves R/H... either being on the giving or receiving end of it. I am thinking of making this more of a roleplaying reference and less of an actual game mechanic.

- There is also more but, I can't quite remember all of it. I've been writing these things down and I feel like I need a nap from this multitasking that I've been doing. ::)

Drake Valentine

I'm still about if this ever picks up again, one of few system games that I enjoyed.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Twisted Crow

Heh. Glad to hear that! To be fair, Aya and Praxis deserve some significant credit for helping me test it and have fun with it awhile back. But this is great news! So far... that makes you... and now Vercile (according to her request on my GM's thread).

I should form a list of people that are still interested in doing this again (and hopefully taking off). I just gotta make a few adjustments to this idea over the next few days while the wait on interest is going. Glad to see you again, Drake! I really liked your character and your writing style overall. ;D

scribus1000

I'm still looking at this game as well, I enjoyed reading the matches that happened thus far. And I recall, I owed Drake a match as well. :(
I have taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RPs.
My Ons & Offs (Updated 6/3/2022) and Ideas are here.

The Peak Elliquiy Experience™:
Quote from: roulette on March 15, 2014, 06:59:18 PM"What? Ewww... Well, maybe... actually." -adds to own O&Os-

Twisted Crow

Heh. Guess that makes three, huh?  ::)

Should get cracking on this list, soon. Glad to see you again, Scribus.  ;)

Zenkai

Back from a hiatus and still interested in this too.

When are we starting?  :-)