News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Superhero Comics!

Started by Skynet, July 27, 2020, 03:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

My first thought was, who writes such a thing?

Dwayne McDuffie, apparently.

Dhi

The thread being teased out in Green Lantern starts a year ago with this conversation in Legion of Superheroes between Triplicate Girl and Dream Girl.

What's being discussed here is the Great Darkness, a concept in Legion which is a void beyond which time travel, mysticism and precognition do not function. What lies beyond the Great Darkness, if anything, is unknown and unknowable. To my mind, the Great Darkness gives intelligence and malevolence to the idea of the "Big Crunch," the opposite of the Big Bang, in which the tide of creation is pushed back and the universe collapses into a singularity. This is, I believe, the nature of the next Crisis.

Of all the Legionnaires, why was Triplicate Girl among the first to be aware of the Great Darkness? For a long time I attributed this to Bendis not really knowing what to do with the character, but recently it's clicked for me.

Triplicate Girl was a member of the Wanderers, a far future equivalent to the current Justice Incarnate, made up of heroes from all across the multiverse. Triplicate Girl is unique in that she can absorb her other selves, and in doing so absorb their experiences. In the conversation with Dream Girl, she's confused and believes she's had a dream. But Carggites don't dream, and Triplicate Girl doesn't understand what a dream is. Instead, what's probably happened is that Triplicate Girl has absorbed an experience from the multiverse that makes no sense to her: someone has experienced the Great Darkness closing in.

But if it's somewhere out there in a doomed universe, it doesn't matter, right? Unfortunately no.

The Darkseid in Infinite Frontier has been called True Form Darkseid, and this is possibly best likened to Plato's theory of forms. Faced with the subjectivity of human perception and unanswerable questions about genetics, Plato reasoned that the things we see are imperfect copies of an absolutely ideal form, such as a horse, a triangle, or a Darkseid. We're not able to perceive true forms in our world, and see instead shadows on cave walls, which we mistake for true objective reality. The Darkseid we see in Infinite Frontier is such a true form, brought from an impossibly far-flung end of the multiverse by the events of Death Metal. He's bringing company, in the form of the Great Darkness.

Legion's Gold Lantern is another mystery. In the 31st century, we're led to believe all facets of the emotional spectrum come together and the Elders of Oa oversee a new kind of Lantern, of which only one per universe is needed. But then, we learn that the Elders aren't who they seem and the nature of Gold Lanterns is something else entirely. But it's never explained! Bendis, you ass.

But we know that the false Elders of Oa must be multiversal, and we've seen an echo of them in Green Lantern's current threat to Dark Sector 1, conquerors calling themselves the Gold Centurions.

If we look at Future State: Green Lantern's dark possible future, the culmination of that story (spoiler) comes when Orion of Jack Kirby's New Gods makes an appearance to address a cult in his name. The similarities between Orion and the Gold Centurions are pretty striking, side by side- this is called the Astro Force, DC's answer to the Silver Surfer's Power Cosmic. It's the wrath of The Source which governs all creation, and although we're accustomed to the Boom Tubes that Darkseid creates to move between Apokalips' four dimensional reality and clusters of the multiverse, the Astro Force can do it too. Previously, Orion needed special New Genesis tech to control it. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

The final page of Green Lantern #6 confirms the New Gods' involvement by revealing that a member of John Steward's rescue expedition into Dark Sector 1 is actually one of the New Gods, Lonar.

This is all a very tangled web, but essentially-
Jack Kirby's New Gods are returning to combat over all the worlds of the multiverse in DC's next Crisis. An evolved Darkseid now commands the Great Darkness to collapse all creation, and an evolved Orion now commands the explosive power of all creation.

That all of these things are tied to Legion and Green Lantern lore is exciting for me. As usual, Green Lantern is an underappreciated book for its time!

Dhi

Reading Green Lantern #1 again, Lonar pops up briefly to discuss the nature of the spectrum during the attack on Oa which started everything.

Viewing that weird conversation through the lens of the New Gods and plans to establish a Gold Lantern corps, it's suddenly very relevant.

TheLaughingOne

That... Is some really cool story stuff....

But damn it! Havent people learned to never trust the guardians of Oa?
In reference to their gold stuff... They are like king midas. cept rather then turning this to gold all they touch/create turns to crap:P

And if i remember right... They had a weapon to try and cancel out the Spectrum and such, the "Third Army". Which they made to go out and assimilate all life to wipe out all emotion, individuality, and free will. You know, all those things that keep messing up their excellent plans cause it couldnt be Their fault!

That said.. I am very interested in seeing where something like this goes!

I also really like this idea of the Big Crunch being something Sinister and terrible, something that cant be seen beyond raising the question of "what comes next, if anything?"
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Dhi

I don't believe things are returning to status quo in Green Lantern after this. The theme of that first issue is whether the Green Lanterns and their self-given authority have a place under the United Planets. Plenty of readers saw the destruction of the battery and said, yawn, we've seen this before- but Geoff Thorne is a smart guy making full use of GL history, I don't think he's just spinning his wheels.

I think Jessica is the first of several spectrum jumps, that Kyle is probably another, and we're going to see the spectrum deconstructed in a meaningful new way.

December solicits for DC are out, and there's Aquaman, hm, yes, Deathstroke, DC vs. Vampires, DC vs. Zombies, very good, but what's this?
Quote from: Justice League 2021 AnnualThe return of Wonder Woman! Wait, what’s that? Also, the return of…OMAC! Jack Kirby’s greatest creation, the One-Man Army Corps, returns to the DC universe just in time to team up with the reunited Justice League to stop secret forces of evil from gathering! Join Eisner Award winner Sanford Greene as he brings the legacy of the League to life leading into Justice League vs. the Legion of Super-Heroes!
Justice League vs. Legion of Super-Heroes you say???

TheLaughingOne

On a side note..

I wanna bring up a comic I always come back to on occasion called "Tomboy" this isnt the original one, but came out in 2015 by Mia Goodwin.

Its a story of Love, magical girls, murder, revenge, madness... And possibly Eldritch Horrors.

it starts... pretty honestly with the cover so you should have no illusions of whats going on as both the cover and its varient show the MC Addison caked in blood.

Further in it starts with the "how we got here" of her up on the ledge of a building, soaked in gore, with someone that looks like a doctor pointing a gun at her.

And flash back to how things got started. Normally a very trite sort of enterance, and honestly, you could cut those pages out and jump straight to the beginning and it might come out better due to issues (Mia Goodwin ended up getting ill near the end, so handed off artist duties to another person, but kept writing, so alot of these details showing up in the first couple pages, including the entire thing of Addison and Iris (doctor lady) talking to each other, arent there at all.

From there its a story of how 16 year old Addisons life comes apart when her Best Friend (Boyfriend) is found dead, identified by her father, shot in the head and dumped in the river. She doesnt find out til later, and things get... Weird when on the train home (nobody knows that she knows, and is an emotional wreck) she overhears a pair of cops, who assume she is busy on her phone and listening to music so she cant hear them... Talk about killing her boyfriend, and his father, and when one reveals that he stole the kids necklace, which she gave to him...

There are a couple spots that leave me a little uncomfortable as they establish her and her boy "Best friend" are more then just best friends, but doesnt really show anything, just rather voyuristic in uncomfortable way.

From there it spirals into Madness raising the question of Is something supernatural happening, Addison seems quite capable of tearing through swaths of goons and henchmen, many of them corrupt cops, And quite literally in terms of tearing, with almost no damage to herself.

Is the insane things she sees hallucinations, as her family seems a bit Rife with mental issues related to trauma, or is something MORE going on..

Her Grandfather helps her by covering up evidence that could link her, and having an "old friend" take care of the remaining cop from the first incident, revealing that when he was the Chief Of Police, he was also working as a vigilante called "Justicar" who was well known killing criminals that got away, or were let go by legal system, usually by beating them to death with his bare hand. In large numbers. Now an old bitter man living with his son and his daughter (Addisons father is a medical examiner for the police, and a very likeable guy trying to balance doing his job and spending time with Addison. While possibly hallucinating the ghost of his dead best friend telling him to pull back from work and spend time with Addison.

Art wise, i love it. its Bright and colorful, with an emphasis on red for scenes and themes. Mia's being some of my favorite, but Michelle Wong, who took over after issue 6, also does Excellent work.

And holy crap! I Messaged Mia Goodwin on twitter asking if there was plans for more! (The ending is a bit of a cliff hanger) and Sadly... She got screwed by action labs (whom the more i learn more of, the less impressed i am with them..) and the stress and how seriously she got sick (deaths door levels of sick) have kind of soured her from comics, though she still works in video games, and says she has toyed with the idea of a webcomic or something.

Very sadly, she only made 2500 on the entire thing, despite Tomboy being in the top 100 comics in the years it was run. And a good portion of that went to paying Michelle Wong to help finish it.

... Am Var sad now:(

Edit Note: Fixed up! My bad there, forgot no pics of someone 16 or under At All here on E! My apologies peeps!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Dhi

Ugh, creators being treated poorly is the poison of this industry. It's no wonder we have all these fringe groups wanting to demolish the Big Two. I've heard that DC is a little more generous than Marvel, but both have this trillion dollar multimedia empire money, so they really need to treat creators better than this. Everyone who can seems to jump ship for creator-owned projects. I don't blame Mia at all.

I wonder if she's looked into the Substack model, which promises to generate revenue through a webcomic format.

TheLaughingOne

This case it was Action Lab Comics... which doing research seem to be trying to use the more scummy practices of both the big two, while generaly producing rather bland and junk comics save the rare gem like Tomboy. Big ones i remember from them are "vampblade" "zombie tramp" and "doll girl" which... had monsters and things...? It was pretty bland and done to just try and draw in people looking for weak wank material with fetishy junk. Evidently they really do things like holding rights on creators characters they were suppose to have released and other such.

its just... Sad that creators are STILL getting treated like this.

The entire tweet thing:
https://twitter.com/skeletonforrent/status/1438893125355720704

hehe, does mentin if she were to do it again, double the length, and as a webtoon thing... And much more brutal, despite being told it was way to brutal for TV..
I suggested maybe netflix or amazon would be happy to do it;3

provided they arent a giant bag of rotting dicks over it.
My Ons and Offs!

Dhi

The Mighty Valkyries just ended, and I've been having trouble finding anything that really clicks for me at Marvel. So this weekend, I took a plunge into something I know nothing about with Daredevil.

This cover, from a few months ago, is what got me curious.

There are so many terrific runs of Daredevil, I'm told, but never really read more than an issue here and there. It didn't make much of an impression. And while I know even less about Elektra, the idea of her trying out the Daredevil mantle interested me. That cover of her contemplating the city, wild hair intractable, sticks with me. Even if I don't care about the story, I'd like to see more of this art- and with Chip Zdarsky writing, I know I'm going to care about the story.

After dipping a toe in, immediately I wanted to see more, and ended up with the last 6 issues for an investment of about $21.

The story I'm able to put together is plenty. Wilson Fisk is mayor, and lesser crime bosses are maneuvering to fill that void. Daredevil has opted to turn himself in and serve time in prison for his crimes, and Elektra doesn't accept this- she decides to become Daredevil, and try to operate under "Matt's infantile rules" to protect the people of Hell's Kitchen from these bloodthirsty crime bosses. Fisk has enlisted Bullseye to kill her, but promptly loses control of him, and now a maniac Bullseye is killing indiscriminately. The Avengers can't locate him, but they are able to rescue Elektra from being pinned down by Bullseye on the streets of Manhattan.

Zdarsky does something fascinating with Daredevil that would not have occurred to me. He writes Daredevil, the Man Without Fear, striding boldly into awful mistakes which leave us the readers in disbelief. Matt, NO! But Daredevil doesn't share that fear, does he? It's not just an escapism fantasy about a man who has mastered fear, it's an incredible source of story potential.

There's a line from the last pages of this month's issue, as Elektra lures out Bullseye for a second confrontation, which resonates. There are a lot of lines which resonate, under Zdarsky, but I like this one especially.
Quote from: Elektra's internal monologue
I feel conflicted, Matthew.
Because I'm here for revenge.
But that's your secret, isn't it?
You go on and on about why you do this. To help others, to do good.
But really, there's no greater feeling...
...than when revenge-- when bloodlust and doing good...
...intersect.

Two issues from now, in November, the current Daredevil is set to end and a new #1- or possibly two, with Elektra in a "Lady Daredevil" series- should come in early 2022.

I understand there's also going to be a Devil's Reign miniseries under Zdarsky and Checchetto, which will tie in with the Avengers and, among others, Spider-Woman.

I'm jealous.

I'm jealous that Spider-Woman is so much more fun in other books, like Captain Marvel

while her ongoing is fucking relentlessly nasty, mean, self-destructive, pointless, and crude. Karla Pacheco is the worst. When I mentioned publicly I wasn't enjoying her run because it tears down everything Spider-Woman has going for her and immediately killed off the most interesting character, Karla Pacheco sent me a drunk DM at 2 in the morning and I don't presume it was to win back my confidence as a reader. I really want her off the book.

TheLaughingOne

Well, i dont know what their trouble is... Its obvious where bullseye is.

Paying his taxes.

Bullseye is one of my more favorite Villians in his class... the
"Completely fucking psychotic" class. He pulls it off in ways like Carnage can't.
Its weird cause his thing is basically "I like killing in weird and interesting ways, and wont try and come up with some other bullshit reason. There was possibly one in the past... But that doesnt really matter now. And if i die..? Well, that makes it all the more fun!"

Ones like Carnage make it kinda worn out by trying to make it like some religious thing, or being chaos incarnate, or whatever his current kick is the writers have given him. Or the Joker with his thing, which can work ok at times.

But bullseye is fun in being that monster, that knows he is a monster, enjoys being a monster, and doesnt apologize for being a monster. its revealed in one of the deadpool comics during dark reign, he is richer then Tony Stark, he charges millions for his jobs, and usually has like 10 or 12 lined up... A Day if its a good week....

but he doesnt spend the money, except to like, get to the next spot, and maybe buy something interesting to kill someone with... like playing cards, or pencils, or paper clips... And so the money just sits there in a bank building up until he basicly had enough to buy out pretty much anything... Until deadpool had him pinned under a car and was coming with a chainsaw, (and while Bullseye is normally pretty ready to die at the hands of an enemy, with heroes and such its something quick... Deadpool... well. Their friendly competition involves a lot of one upsman ship.. and deadpool was going for the gold) So bullseye empties the bank account claiming norman osborn was paying off deadpool for all that happened and he had done.

Which... knowing deadpool theres some abandoned safehouse/warehouse, that smells horrible in SO many ways... With like, several billion dollars just sitting around.
My Ons and Offs!

Dhi

This week was supposed to be a big week for Fear State, and it's disappointing that nothing really happens. Across Batman, Nightwing, and Catwoman, protagonists are chased by Peacekeepers and have trivial, low-stakes fights with drones and robots. We're told that there's a danger to the people of Gotham, but we're not seeing it. If this is how how some of my favorite current writers, Ram V, James Tynion IV, and Tom Taylor are taking advantage of the event, how can I expect other books to be better?

But we did get to see Barbara Gordon suit up as Batgirl, which is great. Unfortunately it's by a fill in artist, so you kind of have to use your imagination. For a full page splash, it's quite rough.

White Widow finally has another issue after what seems like months of delays, oof! It's a silly book. Totally-Not-Spider-Man Gabrielle Garcia goes to Tokyo where we learn white girl is half Japanese and her family is descended from Miyamoto Musashi. I'm rolling my eyes right out of my head here, but it's the good kind of cheesy, I like it. And when the cheese stops, there are seven pages of wordless, acrobatic action between White Widow and the new villain. Every page flows, figures cartwheel through panels. I wouldn't say it rivals someone like Daniel Warren Johnson, but it's appreciated.

X-Men is now on issue 3 and I'm glad I stuck with the book; Pepe Larraz does an incredible job rendering High Evolutionary's menagerie of manimals in striking action, and I'm beginning to see Gerry Duggan's sense of humor in the ludicrous situations the team finds themselves in and is forced to take seriously. More importantly, there are stakes I actually care about at this point. Nice! So add this one to my spartan Marvel pull list, I guess I'm reading X-Men now.

I've started pitching story ideas here on E for some of the things that've stood out to me reading these stories. After around six months and boxes of comic books, I feel much more comfortable with these worlds and characters. Maybe some good stories will come of it.

Dhi

Knew it was coming, but it still stings- Hellions, Marauders, and Excalibur are all ending in December with oversized specials.

Quote from: Hellions #18HELLIONS NO MORE!
ORPHAN-MAKER has committed a horrible crime. As he faces the ultimate penalty, the cracks in the HELLIONS team are on full display. Secrets, betrayals, alliances and loss all come to the surface as the fallout of Orphan-Maker's actions threatens to end all the Hellions have worked toward!
Plus: The return of a fan-favorite X-character in a decision that will rock the foundation of Krakoa!
PARENTAL ADVISORY

Quote from: Marauders #27THE SUN SETS ON THE MARAUDERS.
The Marauders' first tour comes to a close as the shake-ups within the Hellfire Trading Company crystalize. Will any of the inner circle remain standing? And can the crew survive the changes happening around them?

Quote from: Excalibur #26OTHERWORLD FALLS!
Merlyn and King Arthur have taken the Starlight Citadel. Saturnyne still lives-but not for long. Betsy Braddock must decide once and for all where her loyalties lie. It's all been building to this - the fantasy ends here and reality rushes in. There is no haven for the witchbreed. Can they hold on to their champion, here at the twilight of an age?

The end of the Hickman era means Marvel cleaning house and rearranging the very lucrative X-franchise into...who knows? This week's Onslaught Revelation teases that Way of X will become Legionaries in 2022, with a lineup of Doctor Nemesis, Pixie, Nightcrawler, Juggernaut, ForgetMeNot, and Blindfold. The face behind Juggernaut may also be a manifestation of Dust, who appears very briefly in Onslaught Revelation just to remind us that she still exists. I missed out on reading any Dust stories and might be interested in this if that's the case.

Duggan's new X-Men book is off to a strong start. That one should continue into 2022.

Whatever comes next, the end commences next week with Inferno #1 of 4, and I'll be reading.

TheLaughingOne

So... Read the recent issue of "Batman Reptilian" and... well, they deffinately took a twist i wasnt expecting. That said the writing continues to be... well.. Ennis.
what happens:
In a twist, Croc seems to have turned into a hermaphrodite without realizing it, and given birth. Batman has randomly figured out that Croc is how he is because an alien ship exploded near where he lived and infected the area with an alien mutagen, and he has now given birth to horror space baby... And never realized it. Its... Meh. very meh.

Part of what drew me was suppose to be batmans attitude in dealing with the villians, very put upon minimum wage worker called to clean up a clogged toilet. Instead when i read his lines what comes to mind is more like ben stein on qualudes, not to mention he just somehow knows about the stuff mentioned in spoilers. I get "worlds greatest detective" But there is a limit before you might as well just slap "omniscience" on it.

On the other hand, also started "Batman vs. Bigby! A wolf in gotham" a crossover between the Fable series and Batman. it looks interesting, bigby is the Big Bad Wolf of the fable world, now works as the Fables sheriff/problem solver in the normal world. Somethings going on with people after "A Book" and going to great lengths to get it, and we see several images of Bigby tailing Batman, who is investigating some grisly murders by a "giant wolf".

I was sold... Right up until it was revealed this batmans the complete Cunt one.
Guess what!?!
Batman manages to catch bigby spying on him, and demands answers, when bigby admits he is impressed that batman was able to spot him and all.. Batman screams WRONG ANSWER!!! and punches him in the face without warning. then demands bigby get up "as he had his chance to explain himself" and tries to use bigby as a punching bag, ending with batman PICKING UP A BRICK AND SMASHING BIGBY IN THE HEAD before gassing him unconcious.. and chaining him up in major manacles in the batcave. cause.. um... WORLDS GREATEST DETECTIVE!!!!!!!!!

im... not greatly impressed. it seems batmans going back to the asshole who just punches people and knows everything.
My Ons and Offs!

Dhi

That's a pretty apt description of the Batman I know. I've heard elsewhere that Reptilian is getting good, but if you're not enjoying it, I don't think it's going to be for me.

Inferno, the premature final chapter in Hickman's X-Men saga, is not what the name seems to suggest. There is no spell over Manhattan, no Madelyne Pryor, and although solicits for the final issue of Hellions have Pryor returning, that's in December, when all of this is wrapping up. No, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Claremont's Inferno, and in no way replaces it. But, it is pretty good.

Inferno is about Mystique, her wife Destiny, and Moira MacTaggert's connection to the both of them. The first book begins with a retelling of Moira and Destiny's conversation from, IIRC, House of X #2.

We get to know Moira, who has been missing from stories the last couple of years, and the mystery is drawn back from some of Krakoa's cardinal laws.

Inferno spoilers
Moira, it turns out, is quite petty and defeatist when it comes to the future of mutantkind. Now that we know where Moira has been, and that she's almost certainly still working on a cure to mutants- else there would be no reason to bar resurrection of precogs- it sheds new light on things like Professor X and Magneto's reactions to the hospital dedication in Marauders.

Charles and Erik decide to be cute pushing Mystique out of the Krakoan council with a changing of the guard, in hopes Mystique will, I suppose, just feel like retiring? There are some great character moments here. Cyclops steps down from the council, a move that pretty much completely separates Duggan's X-Men book from Krakoa. I hate that Emma Frost calls Cyclops "my love" during this, as it farts all over Emma's development in Marauders and the open relationship between Jean, Scott and Emma makes everyone in the world want to vomit until they die. Nobody but Hickman pushes this revolting idea. Nobody wants this. Stop.

Bishop and Psylocke ( Kwannon, not Betsy ) are also nominated, and I love both though it's destined to be short-lived.

I note that this puts four Hellfire Trading Company members on the council ( Bishop, Kitty Pryde, Emma Frost, and Sebastian Shaw ). All Charles and Erik have accomplished here is to cede power. But it gets worse, because Mystique chooses this moment to reveal that she already did the thing and Destiny is alive and breathing, maybe.

One thing I find very confusing is the order of these events. How is Magneto still on the council, given the concurrent events of Trial of Magneto where he's declared enemy of Krakoa? That story immediately follows the Hellfire Gala, so this can only take place after...and Darkhold has to take place before. But Doctor Doom and Excalibur are currently in Otherworld in search of the book, so when does...

You know what, it's fine. Never mind.

Darkhold was leaked a week early, so I gave it a read. It's something I've been looking forward to and didn't want to wait a whole week.

The setup for the Darkhold story is disappointing. Steve Orlando invents all new conceits for the book which tell me he is not familiar with its history. Here the "True Darkhold" is found, and this one drives those who read from it insane; this is wholly unnecessary. All of this could have been handled, and better, in the black envelope style of 1992's Darkhold series. Instead we have a lot of grandiose cinematic posturing and I would rather this story have a tone in line with its horror subject matter.

Some of the dialog also seems to suggest the whole impetus for this story is that Doctor Doom wants to, uh, punch inconceivable Lovecraftian horror Chthon in the nose to feel like a big man. That doesn't cut it. We're seeing far more mature motivations for this character across other titles and at least some sympathy for his concerns about mutants outmaneuvering humanity. His motive here really ought to be consistent, there's no reason not to benefit from good characterization. That's an editorial failure, this is what editors are meant to do.

But Orlando is about to hand off these characters' stories to other writers, and better things may come from it. There are some moments of the book I do like. Scarlet Witch's design is looking better, and the build up to the twist is very much in the spirit of the old Darkhold, which helps me overlook the introduction.

How come Scarlet Witch has never had a pointy witch hat? Get rid of the crown thing. All heroines who wear one give a very square-headed impression because you're framing faces in this harsh geometric block. It's not a good look.

Black Cat also has an event! Yay! I love Black Cat right now.

Felicia's relationship with Odessa has quickly taken a turn for the real, as predicted by Felicia herself, but the relationship does not feel like a throwaway. Events are not happening offscreen, except that in these panels, I'm not sure what it is Felicia wants Odessa to do. That's intentional obfuscation, rather than passing the buck on writing queer characters. In the span of a few pages we get a pretty good idea of who Felicia and Odessa are together, and better than plenty of straight comic book couples are written.

So Jed MacKay's writing is something I plan to follow in 2022, and it seems like Marvel is aware of that following, putting him in charge of an upcoming special which will "portend what is to come in the Marvel Universe over the next twelve months". Sounds a lot like DC's Future State/Infinite Frontier renaissance, which is fine by me.

In Black Cat #10, Felicia crosses paths with Nighthawk, who is after the same Infinity Stones in hopes of changing the world back to the Heroes Reborn universe; an all but explicit analog to the DC Universe. There's a little in-joke from Felicia referencing the nature of Nighthawk as an analog of Batman.

I also like Felicia's perspective on Spider-Man's Spider-Sense. According to Felicia, this isn't a power at all, but the natural consequence of experience. She's never had the heart to tell him this is something anyone can develop. Brilliant.

Speaking of powers, isn't Felicia a mutant? Can we slide her into the Marauders relaunch and resolve some of that sexual tension with whips and daisy chains?

Last thing I wanted to link is a couple of panels from Amazing Fantasy #3, where Uncle Ben talks to Peter about a book he treasured as a child and likens it to being apart from May in this Limbo setting.

It is like that sometimes. One of the clearest memories I have of my late mother is from a dream. Sincere stuff from Kaare Andrews.

TheLaughingOne

Yeah, reptilian is just taking the piss,and doubt im gonna bother finishing it. its just.. meh.

Hehe, and the wonderful timing and tracking of comic books! Where causality is a casualty! And... it sounds like the darkhold writer has a hardon for doom, and finally found some of lovecrafts stuff and went "Doom could totally beat one of them up"

With Blackcat and the little "spider sense" thing, i like to think maybe shes just convinced herself;3  Cause if i remember, peter had that power not long after he got his powers and was still learning, in case could see it as an effect of one of those super hero serums used on her... ... Unless they retconned it or some other thing. Im pretty sure thats how she got her power. And is a mutant. No idea.last i remember she rather hated spiderman after Occ in his body messed her up rather bad, and she was running a major criminal empire, or trying to as it was collapsing...

And yeah, Bens stuff there is some hard and powerful thing. I know it all to well.
My Ons and Offs!

Dhi

Absolutely, I agree Felicia's just convinced herself Spider-Sense isn't real. We the readers see it, but all Felicia sees is Spider-Man wig out sometimes and claim to have a sixth sense.

That whole exchange is also foreshadowing, I think, that Felicia is aware that Star has been eavesdropping on her and is one step ahead.

You're right that Felicia did get a superpowers shot, but I believe during one fumbled reboot or another she had the powers anyway without any shot, and the idea was floated that she might be a mutant. I want to say early '00s. That was such a long time ago, it's probably not relevant at all anymore!

TheLaughingOne

... Talking bout Bat-Dickhead... This feels all to poignant in the usual portrayal of batman recently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qatmJtIJAPw
(Batmetal by Arbybes: song is face fisted by Dethklok)
My Ons and Offs!

TheGrandAdmiral

I stumbled upon a mini-series called Djinn. An interesting premise combining a past and present narrative. Also some uncensored smut. The art is good too.

Dhi

I'm looking forward to Djinn next week, but you're talking about the older one, right? The one in a Milo Manara style.

Counting down to the end of Hellions, it's heartbreaking to watch these characters self-destruct as the team disbands.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

We may finally see what Orphanmaker's mutation is; previously a mystery which prompted the Krakoan Council to take unethical action stunting his development. It's been implied letting his mutation manifest would be disastrous, but then, there are so many disasters looming already.

Excalibur is going out on a different note. This was, from beginning to end, the most Dungeons & Dragons X-book of all time. Betsy Braddock's arc has also been a treat for me as someone who loved the character under Claremont.

Dhi

Marauders, on the other hand, is getting a relaunch in January 2022, this time by Steve Orlando and Hyunsung Lee. This wasn't a book I expected to return in 2022, so maybe there's hope for Excalibur, too.

Returning from the current run will be Kitty and Bishop, and that's all- but that's okay, as Marauders is currently all about Emma Frost and both Kitty and Bishop could use more development instead. Also joining are Psylocke (Kwannon) from Hellions, Daken and Aurora from X-Factor, Tempo from the Mutant Liberation Front, and Somnus. Who?

Somnus was the dream mutant from Marvel's Pride anthology, where he and Daken had history. This sets up a potentially interesting love triangle with Aurora, who was Daken's love interest in X-Factor. I'd like to think this shows a willingness to explore the queer characters Marauders is heavy on. One of the criticisms of the Duggan run has been that Kitty's love life just evaporated in favor of Emma Frost stories, and since learning that run is ending, my thought has been that nothing will ever come of her coming out as bisexual.

I suspect I've read Orlando's work under less than ideal conditions, fulfilling obligations to ubiquitous Marvel events and not particularly investing himself in them. With Marauders he's going to be writing his OC and both of the characters who were wrangled into that OC's backstory, so it had better be good! Some of the things I've learned about my preferences buying comic books are, first of all, I'm pretty much all about horror books, but also, the writing is the most important element. The art could be phenomenal, the character could be my favorite of all time (like, say, Spider-Woman) but if the writing is weak it's not for me.

TheLaughingOne

My Ons and Offs!

TheGrandAdmiral

Quote from: Dhi on October 09, 2021, 03:53:23 PM
I'm looking forward to Djinn next week, but you're talking about the older one, right? The one in a Milo Manara style.

The one authored by Jean Dufaux, from 2011.

Dhi

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on October 10, 2021, 01:33:36 AM

teeheeeheeee

butts.

I loved how in Grayson (aka The Only Good Thing That Happened During Nu52) Dick's bum was a frequent subject...

TheGrandAdmiral

Quote from: Dhi on October 10, 2021, 10:58:22 AM
Tell us about it!

Here is a brief synopsis of the story that I found:

A young Englishwoman, Kim Nelson, travels to Istanbul in search of information about her grandmother Jade. In the years before World War I, Jade had been the favourite of the "Black Sultan", and ordered by him to seduce an English diplomat, Lord Nelson, in order to alter Turkey's influence in European politics. Kim's story and that of her grandmother are revealed in tandem, in a Europe where sexual and political allegiances are constantly shifting.

Some nice covers: