Steampunk High Fantasy Table Top RPG?

Started by Blank, December 27, 2011, 01:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blank

I've been searching for a system that would support a table top game for a mixture of high fantasy and steampunk elements.  However I have had limited success.  Pathfinder kind of tried to do that, however the steampunkish classes and mechanisms seem broken or lack variability.  Someone recommended Alternity, but I haven't seen anything there (at a glance) that could help me, if someone knew of something in that system that could work, let me know.  I saw that Savage Worlds doesn't seem to have the right feel I'm going for, not enough structure there.  GURPs looks big and scary, so I'm not sure about that.

Has anyone played in or heard of a system that fits somewhat closely with what I am looking for?

meikle

You need to clariy what you want out of steampunk; essentially every fantasy game can give you the Glue Gears To Everything flavor of steampunk.  Planescape for AD&D features strong Victorian and everything-is-Sepia-toned aesthetics.  Eberron for D&D 3.5 and 4e tries to emulate some of the themes of steampunk, replacing steam with magic.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

I'm currently working on a steampunk conversion for the 3.5 (stone's throw to Pathfinder) D&D, but it's really in its infancy and as per normal for me it eschews the typical Victorian Era-style setting for a much cooler WWI setting. The magic is what's actually giving me fits, fits I say! I'm seriously about to get rid of it. :[
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

There's the Iron Kingdoms RPG setting for D&D 3.0/5, if you can track down the books.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on December 27, 2011, 06:53:13 AM
I'm currently working on a steampunk conversion for the 3.5 (stone's throw to Pathfinder) D&D, but it's really in its infancy and as per normal for me it eschews the typical Victorian Era-style setting for a much cooler WWI setting. The magic is what's actually giving me fits, fits I say! I'm seriously about to get rid of it. :[
The issue is that if you do so, you'll need to rebalance just about every other aspect of the game.  Magic is included in about all the calculations from to hit bonuses, to stat increases versus the monsters, to damage effects, to hit point calculations.

Honestly, I don't envy you.  You have a lot of work ahead of you, and I sincerely wish you luck.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

MasterMischief

Any universal system worth its weight should be able to handle High Fantasy and Steampunk.  How much crunch are you looking for?  G.U.R.P.S. and Hero System are both crunch heavy but can handle those elements easily.  You said G.U.R.P.S. looked scarey so I am guessing you are looking for something with a little less crunch.

True 20 could handle both elements.  It might be an easy transition since it is a D20 system.  It is lighter than G.U.R.P.S. and Hero but still has its fair amount of crunch.

Mutants & Masterminds is my current go to system.  Even though it is not billed as a universal system, I find that it works perfectly for highly cinematic games which is my preferred setting.  Even if I do a historical fiction, I still want the heroes to be larger than life.  I ran a 1920's gangster game with M&M.  Only one character had any Powers (Immunity to unarmed attacks).  We had a great game and no one said the system came up short.

For more rules light systems I suggest one of the many flavors of Fate or PDQ# by Atomic Sock Monkey.  PDQ# is free and it might take some work to see the possibilities for High Fantasy/Steampunk.  There is Swashbucklers of the 7 Seas which is based on PDQ#.  I am not sure how much Steampunk there is.

HairyHeretic

Into The Far West cites its influences as wuxia, western and steampunk, so might fit. Not sure when it's due out though.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Blank

I'll pass on the customized system.  Those are always iffy with balance.  Thank you though.

When I get the chance to, I'll take a look through the suggestions.  =D  Thank you all.  I knew this would be a good place to ask.

adifferenceinsize

Quote from: MasterMischief on December 30, 2011, 07:51:44 PMMutants & Masterminds is my current go to system.  Even though it is not billed as a universal system...

There's the True20 system which is basically a stripped version of their Mutants & Masterminds and Blue Rose RPGs. Some other options include using the Fate System (I'd been working on something that put something like the magic of Dresden Files into the Spirit of the Century RPG), Unhallowed: Metropolis, and Zir'An which are all close but off.

MasterMischief

Quote from: adifferenceinsize on January 06, 2012, 12:59:40 AM
There's the True20 system which is basically a stripped version of their Mutants & Masterminds...

Not exactly.  There are still remnets of Classes and the Feats are not very elegant in my opinion.  M&M has more of a building block approach coming closer to Hero.