Timeout Errors

Started by Skye, July 12, 2009, 07:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skye

Quote from: SassyB on July 12, 2009, 06:53:18 AM
For some reason I keep getting Error messages whenever I try to access E from my laptop - intermitent access to other websites.  Round at the parents and it works fine so hopefully its just my internet connection and it will be resolved soon, and I can answer all!

Quote from: Vekseid on July 12, 2009, 06:58:08 AM
There's rumors that our host just went through a massive DDOS attack. It could be why uptime was intermittent at the tail end.

I didn't mean to hijack this from your thread SassyB, but I was having the same problems tonight with Elliquiy. It started at 10:52 Pacific time for me. Lasting almost three hours. I checked and rechecked that nothing had changed in my 'options' category in Flock, then one of my writing partners messaged me. Saying he had been having the same problems. :( It just started working again for me at 1:45. But I figured the site was going through some kind of recoding?
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

jouzinka

I was getting that one too even when I tried an anonymizer, so I suppose it was a site-wide problem. Glad it was resolved. :)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Vekseid

We experienced networking issues earlier today at our Chicago location, in which affected our support system as well. This was due to another DDOS attack on large scale, but we have now mitigated it and all services are fully functional now. Sorry for the inconvenience!

DDOS confirmed, youch.

Skye

That's frustrating! But, glad it's all over. -Knock on wood.-
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

SassyB

Reign I don't mind the hi-jack!  And I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who had the problem I thought I was going to have to phone my internet provider again and have another row with them. 

Slow postings and reasons why? - Work as usual! 
On & Offs ¦ A & A's ¦ What's rattling around my brain?

Vekseid

Essentially, from what I understand occurs in this situation, once a DDOS begins a host starts contacting the ISPs from which the activity is detected. They go from host to host, and the ISP actually quarantines the offending members on -their- end. Once this happens, the host no longer needs to worry about blocking that ISP, they focus their efforts on talking with further ISPs, etc. and so on.

Naturally, on a Sunday morning, not so many people are available.

kongming

So we're important enough to warrant DDOS attacks now?

Please tell me you'll be activating the 4chan response by launching a counter-DDOS, digging up the dox of the attackers then spreading said personal information around so people can prank-call them throughout the night and order hundreds of empty cardboard boxes to their houses, until they are required to get new curtains and a dog.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Vekseid

Quote from: kongming on July 12, 2009, 07:35:56 AM
So we're important enough to warrant DDOS attacks now?

Please tell me you'll be activating the 4chan response by launching a counter-DDOS, digging up the dox of the attackers then spreading said personal information around so people can prank-call them throughout the night and order hundreds of empty cardboard boxes to their houses, until they are required to get new curtains and a dog.

No, we're still smallfry. This was an attack on the network our host runs on, our server was just collateral damage.

Dakota

The problem as well is a lot of attacks come from scripts hosted on free servers, with The attacker using proxy's to access the account, so its not always easy to isolate the source and with information on building or obtain said attack scripts so readily available.

Rhapsody

I had to look up what "DDOS attacks" meant.  Nasty piece of business... glad we weren't significantly affected.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Vekseid

I have means of dealing with small-scale attacks that target Elliquiy directly (even if it means temporarily disabling things while I get them up). Attacking DNS servers or our network - I really can't deal with, and do not have the resources to do so (and won't until subscriptions break 100... reason for that goal >_>)