Different colors and fonts! Help!

Started by Obsidian Isolabella, August 02, 2013, 03:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obsidian Isolabella

So, I've noticed with others here on E that they use other fonts and colors then the ones that are listed in the small little toolbar above the text boxes. Does anyone know how to do this? Or what colors to use? I know there was this one thread that I think was on E that listed a bunch of colors that could be used, but I can't find it anymore. And I'm wondering if it was my imagination.

So, any help would be so very appreciated! :)

Lilias

First row of buttons above the reply box.  The 'font face' drop-down menu shows the font options, while the 'change colour' one offers colour options. Please, for the sake of everyone's eyes, avoid pink, peach and pale blue. >_<
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

I know that color can also be changed using the RGB hex notation.  For example, this color is achieved with this coding: [b][color=#88AA44]this color[/color][/b]

The # sign lets the code know that you're using hex values.  There's a handy color chart of 'Web-safe' RGB values here.  And as Lilias said, lighter colors tend to make for difficult reading.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

You can Google BBC codeing for fonts and colors as well.  However, some (many?) don't work on all computers and devices due to what the browsers will and will not support.  It's pretty much trial and error and what you see on your screen is not what everyone else sees.

Obsidian Isolabella

Ohhh thank you so much Oniya! That's just what I needed.

And I was actually asking because I want to use pink, but that pink that is listed in that drop-down menu is horribly pale, so I wanted something darker and easier for the eyes.

Geraint

The system also accepts a number of other HTML standard color names without using hex notations. (for me, color names are easier to remember than hex codes)

The ones that I have tried and used successfully here are:

magenta
indigo
darkviolet
cyan
darkred
darkgreen
darkorange
royalblue
crimson
hotpink
darkcyan
darkolivegreen
mediumslateblue
olivedrab
tomato

As for type faces you can substitute the name of any standard truetype font in place of the one of the eight that the site has built in.  But the person reading it will only see it displayed in that font if they have the font installed on their system.

Try magenta instead of pink

Obsidian Isolabella

OOHHH thanks Geraint! That will be easier to use than the codes, but I also saved the page that Oniya gave me so I will probably use both. :)

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Obsidian Isolabella

Yeah, their advice was really helpful. ^_^ But I had no doubt that I'd get good advice here. My four year anniversary on E is coming up soon in November, and this is honestly the only place I even trust to get good advice on. Technology wise or RL stuff.

Moraline

I usually sign my pm's with "plum." It's a bit darker then "pink."

~ Moraline

Obsidian Isolabella

Yeah, it is a little less of an eyesore than the pink, but that is still pretty pale. I choose more of this color.

Formless

I hope Elliquiy 2.0 include all these colors. >_<

Obsidian Isolabella

It would make it easier than using the codes, but the codes will still be there even then.

Geraint

Quote from: Raven's Seduction on August 02, 2013, 04:50:17 PM
OOHHH thanks Geraint! That will be easier to use than the codes, but I also saved the page that Oniya gave me so I will probably use both. :)

You're quite welcome, milady, and that makes a lot of sense

Quote from: Formless on August 03, 2013, 01:00:10 PM
I hope Elliquiy 2.0 include all these colors. >_<

Yeah, but can you imagine what the drop down color menu would look like, though  :o  There are 140 HTML standard colors, and potentially 15 million hex coded.

I'd be happy if the posting window color menu was kept manageable but that the colors on it that don't show well would be replaced by ones that do.  :D

I keep favorite links to both color lists, in case I want something special.

Formless

Quote from: Geraint on August 03, 2013, 02:27:31 PM
You're quite welcome, milady, and that makes a lot of sense

Yeah, but can you imagine what the drop down color menu would look like, though  :o  There are 140 HTML standard colors, and potentially 15 million hex coded.

I'd be happy if the posting window color menu was kept manageable but that the colors on it that don't show well would be replaced by ones that do.  :D

I keep favorite links to both color lists, in case I want something special.

Yeah ... It'll be a very long one. Well I guess I'll keep the color page bookmarked. They can come in handy.

Beguile's Mistress

If you all have any suggestions for the new CMS put them in the thread.  They might be doable. ;D

New CMS feature request thread.

Obsidian Isolabella

I think that if they add anymore colors to that drop menu I fear it might be too much. The codes are easy enough though plus what Geriant put up! I'm actually kind of happy beyond my own self serving purposes that I asked this question. ^_^

Oniya

Hm.  It looks like the 'Web safe' colors consist of the values of 00, 33, 66, 99, CC, and FF for each of the three positions.  A six-position menu for red, green, and blue would be relatively compact.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Hera

I want to know what kind of trial-and-error led you to discover tomato as a usable color!

Geraint

Quote from: Hera on August 05, 2013, 08:42:23 PM
I want to know what kind of trial-and-error led you to discover tomato as a usable color!

Well one has to squeeze a lot of tomatoes to get the juice just right. >:)

It's not often that I get a good straight line like that, but I'll be good and tell the truth:  I was looking for a redder orange, and OrangeRed was too bright for the use I had in mind.  So I looked on the chart.   :-[

http://www.html-color-names.com/color-chart.php

The name was serendipitous, and about the only bit of whimsy on the chart other than maybe peachpuff or papayawhip

Formless

I'm not even sure if I should suggest this in the CMS thread but ...

Can forums get a color reel mixer? I think that would be good for changing colors , but might also take alot of work to implement? If it exist for this script that is ...

And I had to highlight the Papayawhip just so I can read it. >.>

Beguile's Mistress

I vote for an option that automatically deletes a color choice everytime anyone has to highlight it to read the words. >:)

Oreo

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 06, 2013, 11:00:24 AM
I vote for an option that automatically deletes a color choice everytime anyone has to highlight it to read the words. >:)
+1

Or just remove non compatible colors from the drop down menu altogether.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Oniya

Quote from: Oreo on August 06, 2013, 11:19:17 AM
+1

Or just remove non compatible colors from the drop down menu altogether.

Or have the menu display them in the appropriate color on the standard background.  If you can't read it on the menu, you probably can't read it in the post.

Oreo

I can see the need for the lighter colors if we had the option of dark and light skins, but as yet that is moot.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin