Geist: the Sin-Eaters (new world of darkness) In need of GM!

Started by wander, March 24, 2015, 06:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

If you know about Geist to have clicked here, thank you very much!

Geist: the Sin-Eaters, a new world of darkness game is a setting of second chances... After a brush with death, your character has been saved from such a fate by a strange spirit known as a Geist. Perhaps it was human once, all that is known of the Geists are they are ghosts that have somehow managed to become spirits of death, or perhaps death-spirits that gained anchors to our world... Each one has a different story.

Once normal humans, now bonded to a Geist, your characters are 'Sin-Eaters' also known as the Bound... People who are alive but can see and deal with ghosts. The ghosts can see the Sin-Eaters in return though and once they realize the Bound can help them with their unfinished business, that's when things can get messy. The Geist can help give the Sin-Eaters abilities to ease these troubles via plasm (ectoplasm) but the best way to collect plasm is to interact with ghosts to begin with.

Then sometimes for a specific goal a Sin-Eater must enter the Underworld, a strange extradimensional realm where ghosts who have lost their anchors to the world of living spend a purgatory to be dragged down and forgotten. Venturing the Underworld is fraught with dangers in of itself, false Ferrymen con the unwary into dark oceans that tear the soul apart and Kerberoi, much like the legendary Cerberus guard their Dead Domains across the various Rivers of Death. But legends speak that any dead and forgotten knowledge can be found in the Underworld just as any soul of the departed could be down there, if they haven't passed on or have anchors in the world of the living, of course.

So this interest thread is not only looking for players to play the Sin-Eaters for this game but maybe someone who wouldn't mind running a game either. I have some pregen adventures though if someone has some experience running the game, I'd much prefer deferring to them to do it.

If you've read this and don't have the books, the only ones needed for play are The World of Darkness corebook and Geist: the Sin-Eaters, which lets you play as the Bound in the new world of darkness. The Book of the Dead details the Underworld and I'd personally enjoy visiting that dreaded place, especially the lower down Dead Domains, though really I think only someone who would want to GM needs that book. I am going to think though if you're stating interest, you happened to have these books before you clicked here!

I'm looking for fellow Sin-Eaters to found a krewe with and using the Krewe Generation rules from the Geist book... I know some people are interested in playing Geist, so if you're one of those people, please let me know below!

Rook Seidhr

Friggin' yes.

I've sworn off pbp GMing forever even more times than I've sworn off pbp playing forever, though. It always ends in me burning out and folding the game just as it's getting really good. So I probably shouldn't GM, no matter how tempting the idea is. I'm just another Sin-Eater.

I'm torn between Neil Gaiman's Death and Terry Pratchett's Death for my character's Geist. Both could be fun. I SUPPOSE IT DEPENDS ON WHETHER THE GM WANTS TO SPEAK IN ALL CAPS, THOUGH.

wander

Thats one then! xD

The idea for my Sin-Eater is they're from the Stricken (I'm undecided on what actually brought them to death just yet), their Geist is in the image of a wandering vet, kinda like John Rambo from the original First Blood, before he turned into an action hero. My Sin-Eater will have an old 'Nam US army jacket as their keystone, with the Phantasm and Cold-Wind Keys.

Before I decide more I'd like to see what everyone else will bring to the table. :)

Caehlim

I'm probably {too busy/don't know the system well enough/not confident with GMing group games enough} to GM this, but...

totally interested in playing.

Edit: Possibly willing to co-GM though if someone is willing to do it and needs some help.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

WhereWaldoWas

A billion times yes, but I figure that kinda goes without saying.

wander

The krewe is growing!  ;D

Right now is just interest, we'll talk more on characters (like Thresholds and Keystones) when we see what numbers we have. I'm hoping more people will come by and we can get a proper game going with someone GMing.

Marie Reynolds

I would like to through my hat in not sure what type of sin eater  i would play.I Would love to get a krewe together.I don't think i could st this.

TheGlyphstone

What era? I've got that Noir Cop I made for Angie's game that never got used, I could update him to modern context pretty easily.

Rook Seidhr

The era is at least partly up to our Storyteller, the which we don't got none of yet, so who knows?

Lockepick

I'm a big fan of Geist -- though would only be interested in a player. No real commitment on a character archetype/threshold until we have a GM and I have a setting!
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

TheGlyphstone

Wander, you should specifically mention in the thread title that a GM is sought. Else we will just keep getting player-only requests stacking up.

Rajah

Let me just toss another useless player interest notice in here.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

wander

Title updated... I'm surprised so many responded to play this!

Thanks gang, you're all awesome! Hopefully someone will come and GM.

Otherwise worst comes to the worst, I have the pregen adventures and we can go through them.

Tinkertoy

I only wanna be your self-inflicted wound.
It sees you, baby. The friction between me and you.
Show me what makes you human, I'll show you vulnerable.
You bend, you break, you surrender and melt like solid gold.

wander

Well we sure got enough for a krewe now! xD

Still looking for a GM and the more players the merrier, people may withdraw interest or drop out after all. I'll wait a little longer to see who comes by, though I think if people want to mention what Threshold and Keys they'd like to have, we have more than enough players here to double up or more and maybe we can get to discussing characters more generally. :)

WhereWaldoWas

I...could possibly storytell.

I don't know how many players I could understandably handle, but I've had story ideas I could maybe start to stick together. I'm not going to say it's a fullblown 'yes' until I have an actual story...which might not even happen. But I figured letting people know that it could happen would excite some folks.

I've got a physical copy of the Geist book, and a PDF of the NWoD Core [and pretty much every basic supplement book, too] so I wouldn't have any rule issues or anything like that.

It would just be about writing something interesting for you folks to play through.

wander

I can help co-GM and Cae mentioned about co-GMing too. Seeing as we're telling a story, I see no harm in pooling resources to make this the best game it can be. :)

Lockepick

Quote from: wander on March 26, 2015, 05:08:28 AM
Well we sure got enough for a krewe now! xD

I would actually argue that if we had everybody that showed interest actually follow through and make a character -- we'd have TOO many people. I think WoD groups should try to aim for being smaller vs larger. WoD in general sort of favors "sharing the spotlight," it's not like DnD where combat is the focus and everybody has a use in combat. Geist is even worse about that because the focus of 'Ghoooooooosts' is kind of narrow. Having six people trying to fix a ghost at the same time is overkill. Plus, establishing a relevant Krewe becomes harder and harder with the more voices trying to make it fit to them.

If we planned on having a larger Krewe and two smaller 'groups', or even just a more sandbox-y design, then that's less of an issue.

Just some unrequested two cents...

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

wander

Well, I don't want to put people off. I agree everyone should get their bit in the spotlight, though I believe there are enough combinations of Keys and Manifestations that we really shouldn't have much of a problem of everyone having a niche that'll be useful to the krewe as a whole.

It wouldn't just be Ghosts that the krewe would be up against. Whilst it is a strong focus, there are also the higher ranked dead creatures, such as both Kerberoi and also Chthonians, the latter being frankly quite terrifying if you've seen the Chthonian Beast stats from Mummy:the Curse, confirmed by the devs to be a Chthonian. Exploring the Underworld and seeing the Dead Domains and running into troubles there beyond the Old Laws is something I'd really like to see. Quite high up for example is The Killing Fields, which is a fracturing Domain by it's very setup (Team Clockwork represent! ^^).

There are also Abmortals (of which the Immortals book is really good at fleshing out), along with errant Sin-Eaters such as the Sacrosanct, Wretched and Vacant that need putting down. The Sacrosanct are a particularly big threat because they're essentially rival krewes of multiple Sin-Eaters at their worst. That's not even getting into crossover territory.

I'll agree that building a Krewe up with more voices can be an issue in founding. I know also that some people dislike the Krewe stuff and would rather not deal. If that is so for someone, I'd say it's optional if they want to be a Founder and instead be bound by ceremony once the Krewe has been founded by those who do want to discuss things. I'd probably do a PM conversation for those who do, to keep the IC posts rolling in. :)

Though yes, depending on the eventual size of the Krewe, having a slightly more open game where separate hauntings, Underworld issues or issues with opposing Sin-Eaters would be the way to go.

How do these things sound to everyone? I don't want to steal interest from anyone, rather I'm trying to come up with a solution so everyone is happy with the game when we play. :)

Side-note; Sacrosanct is literally the only Geist term in the Spell Check to not be challenged apparently! xD

TheGlyphstone

Honestly, I have to agree with Lockpicke. As nice as it is to let everyone into a game, too much and it'll either bog down or implode under its own weight - overly large groups are difficult enough in RL tabletop system games, it's a recipe for disaster in a PbP group game. I'd personally cap a game at 5 people. If the GM was crazynuts and willing/able to manage more, split it into two separate groups - two different Krewes within a larger Faction, I suppose - in different cities or regions of one large city.

Rook Seidhr

On the other hand, if we start with 5 players, 2 will remain after a month.

wander

Quote from: Riveda on March 26, 2015, 12:46:14 PM

I agree with lockepick's points also, though this right here is the main issue of capping.

Lockepick

I understand that Geist wouldn't be JUST Ghosts... but that's sort of the main focus/theme. Every character is forced to select a term with mechanical effects that is 'What's your stance on ghosts?', for example. It's like saying Werewolves = Spirits. I'm aware (and hopeful) that we'll encounter other stuff -- hell, even other mortals is still perfectly interesting! I don't think every encounter/obstacle needs to be a flavor of Geist supernaturals. Dealing with a mortal cop is still plenty thrilling/terrifying.

I'm enough of a whore for WoD (especially Geist) that I'm going to toss my hat in the ring regardless of how many players there are, nor do I think my experiences/input are infallible. I can just only speak to my experiences: Once you have more than five people, characters start to bleed together (mechanically), and combat becomes something that players just avoid because it's so painful. I would aim for 5 players at most; the game runs smoother for players and for our GM(s). I pretty much plan my WoD games in real life to have three players -- though occasionally a fourth ends up being let in.

I know that I love the idea of a Krewe mythology, and would probably do whatever was required to be a Founding member, for what that's worth.

Quote from: Riveda on March 26, 2015, 12:46:14 PM

While I think that's possible, I do think starting in an imperfect situation doesn't exactly endear people to sticking around. Sort of the golden Elliquiy Catch-22.

wander

*nods* Firstly, lockepick I want to say my post was in no way meant to belittle your opinions, I apologise if I came across to you like that. I agree with what you're saying, I just want this game that I'd let to get off the ground not be exclusive to people who are interested... Especially given that this line is one of the smaller and less popular ones in my experience.

That being said, I'd like to keep things active, so I'm gonna do a roll-call and if people would like to mention what Threshold and Keys they'd be after, that would be awesome at this point. :)

Lockepick

Quote from: wander on March 26, 2015, 03:53:55 PM
*nods* Firstly, lockepick I want to say my post was in no way meant to belittle your opinions, I apologise if I came across to you like that

Not at all! You weren't rude or belittling in any way -- I was just overly worried as coming off as demanding or arrogant or... anything negative really.