Thieves' World

Started by Apple of Eris, March 05, 2008, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple of Eris

So...

I was looking over my bookshelf today and noticed the old Thieves' World books that I used to love. I thought the setting and stories (at least early on) were really interesting and dynamic. So, I'm thinking of maybe doing something like that here. Either a series of one on one or small group threads in which disparate characters occasionally meet & interact creating our own city of Sanctuary with a bunch of different storylines; or maybe we get a group of writers together, plan out a series of short stories involving our own characters that occasionally touch upon one another, and then post them in the story section at some pre-determined time.

I kinda like the idea of a game, and if some of us do a story thing later, that might be rather interesting as well. Anyone interested in something like this?
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Caustic

I might be able to contribute, but have no knowledge of the Thieves' World series.  I think I started to read one when I was 12, but never got past Ch. 1.  I don't do well with series. So, if there's not much prerequisite for expertise, I'll wiki it.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Valerian

Ah, I remember that series.  I made it to book four or five, maybe -- excellent concept, but of course they screwed it up all too soon.  (And I have the old Sanctuary board game, four bucks at a convention.)  It might be a bit difficult to organize, but there are definite possibilities there...
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

tcost

Thieves' World!  What a great idea, and so well suited to pbp.  I think that it should be a number of small group threads, some of them one on one, unless you really want to encourage real story-writing in this.  That could be a good thing, but it would make for very long posts and probably a very long time between posts.

The pitfall that I can see is that one writer, or set of writers, could have to wait a very long time for another group to be ready to have their intersection between the two groups together.  That would have to be carefully coordinated.  It really might work better in the story section than in pbp.

I read the first several Thieves' World books, but some of the material in the series, particularly the later stuff, is very hard to find.  If we do this, and we set it in the same Sanctuary, it should be after the one of the first three books and not much later on.

And, you know, some of the writers from those stories might be very much at home here too.

I prefer justice to irony.

Stevej101

Thief's world, what a wonderful series, and yes I am a geek and read them all and the solo spin offs.

I want Jubal :D  (or his counter part)

please keep me in mind for this one.

"But I like it in the gutter, its dark and warm and I meet all sorts of interesting people."

Ons and Offs

Apple of Eris

Well, here's what I'm thinking, and let me know what the rest of you interested folks think.

It will be set shortly after Prince Kadakithis is installed as governor. Since I don't want to have to run for the books or look up the info every five minutes, I propose a clean slate of NPC's. We keep a few of the major ones, Kadakithis, Molin Torchholder (basically the ones pc's probably would never really run into but would have heard of), and the general concepts - The Hell Hounds, The Gods, The Red Lantern District, etc.

And I agree, a series of small threads works best, and like I said, if anyone feel ambitious and wants to do a full on short story, we could discuss that later.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Apple of Eris

And for those who want more info on Sanctuary and Thieves World:

http://www.dragonquest.org.nz/dqwiki/index.php/Sanctuary

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

tcost

Quote from: appleoferis on March 05, 2008, 07:57:21 PM
Well, here's what I'm thinking, and let me know what the rest of you interested folks think.

It will be set shortly after Prince Kadakithis is installed as governor. Since I don't want to have to run for the books or look up the info every five minutes, I propose a clean slate of NPC's. We keep a few of the major ones, Kadakithis, Molin Torchholder (basically the ones pc's probably would never really run into but would have heard of), and the general concepts - The Hell Hounds, The Gods, The Red Lantern District, etc.

And I agree, a series of small threads works best, and like I said, if anyone feel ambitious and wants to do a full on short story, we could discuss that later.

I'd be willing to play either Kitty-Kat or Torchholder, probably as NPCs, but unless one of them were to become central characters I'd want a different PC for myself.  Can you remind me in which book Kadakithis becomes the governor?  It's been a long time for me.
I prefer justice to irony.

Apple of Eris

The first book he is already governor I'm fairly sure.

I'm still thinking about how major NPCs should be handled. Since I was thinking of having Semi-independent threads which are loosely tied together either these NPCs who probably would rarely be involved in the stories either should be managed by the thread authors themselves, or by myself to maintain some element of consistency.

I'm curious as to how everyone else feels this should be handled though...

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Stevej101

Prince 'Kitty Cat" had been recently installed as gov. in the first book, placed there by a relative (brother if I remember) to get him away from the real power of the Ranken powers.

As far as how this is done I agree, several small threads would be very much like the books, instead of a single writer there would be two or more.

As far as the main line characters, as I said before I like Jubal and his hawkmasks.  Shadowspan is cool too but a little on the nice side for me. :)

Are we talking about the players being the majors at all or are we going to be having like side stories, other events that were not in the book?  Supporting caste stories as it were?
"But I like it in the gutter, its dark and warm and I meet all sorts of interesting people."

Ons and Offs

Apple of Eris

Okay... okay...

I've been thinking about this. Here's is what I'm thinking. I'll set up an OOC thread for this where players can discuss characters and so forth. In addition I think we'll leave the major NPCs, yes like Kitty Cat and Jubal and Molin as free for anyone to use in their threads. The players I think should be not these entire city controlling or influencing individuals. Maybe in the course of their individual stories they could grow to become them.

I think the role of moderator/narrator will be to occasionally guide the NPCs, the backdrop of the city, and other events that are happening during the course of a thread, with the main story arc in each individual thread set by the two or more characters/players in each individual story.

Does that make some sense?

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Valerian

That sounds good to me.  I mean, one of the things I liked most about the series was that it allowed some of the more ordinary people to take the spotlight.  Then they dropped all the fun characters like Lalo the Limner and just focused on the big important people that were manipulating nations and kings; or running around killing and maiming everything that looked at them funny.  Both of which are bound to happen in fantasy settings, but there just ended up being too much of that for my taste.

Anyway, the point is, with that sort of setup, those who want to play the more powerful types, who are trying to become the next big movers and shakers, can do that; but there's also room for those who want to be the low-powered citizens next door.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Stevej101

The concept of the series was great, and this could end up being a similar thing.  Anyone with interest that wants the concept history let me know and I will give it to you.

I am certainly ready for this one, well, except for shifting the books back to the e-reader so I have referance :)

Ons and Offs

Apple of Eris

I'll post the OOC thread late today or tomorrow, I got to get running now. Got a busy night ahead of me! I'll let you all know when we get started! :)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Apple of Eris

Okay, OOC made. Work on character ideas, choose writing partners, and discuss Sanctuary in general there!

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=344.0

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking