What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofia Grace

Today, in 'things that aren't fucking cool', Vladimir Zhirinovsky says that electing Hillary as president will result in a nuclear war on the U.S.; says only Trump can prevent this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-russian-trump-idUSKCN12C28Q?il=0
i am a fire
gasoline, come pour yourself all over me
we'll let this place go down in flames
only one more time

[ O/O ] [ A/A ]

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Sofia Grace on October 13, 2016, 12:34:57 PM
Today, in 'things that aren't fucking cool', Vladimir Zhirinovsky says that electing Hillary as president will result in a nuclear war on the U.S.; says only Trump can prevent this:

.......*Gets my fallout gear and pipboy*

Welp, guess we better get ready. :P  Ron Pearlman, Take us away!

Also in other news. Batman has arrived.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Sofia Grace on October 13, 2016, 12:34:57 PM

Is he still around? I remember in the 90s when Zhirinovsky was the most controversial party leader in Russia and when he prophesied that Yeltsin would soon have drunk himself into the grave. He's always been fond of those kinds of predictions.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 13, 2016, 11:56:14 AM
The Polish nobles of old had swords and sabres to hand when they rode to meet in parliament though...

Yup, that's true  ;D Although these fights happened usually at the local parliaments (sejmiki), not the main Parliament (Sejm). But yes, sabre fights did happen. Some noble were quite well known as "parliament hackers" (rębacze sejmikowi).

Anyway...

That fork comment made me headdesk when I heard it... But it's a sign of a bigger problem: the PiS government really keeps offending all of our foreign partners. It's becoming really dangerous for us :(

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 13, 2016, 01:23:13 PM
Is he still around? I remember in the 90s when Zhirinovsky was the most controversial party leader in Russia and when he prophesied that Yeltsin would soon have drunk himself into the grave. He's always been fond of those kinds of predictions.

Yes, he's around. Back when Russia's conflict in Ukraine started, he actually proposed that Russia and Poland should partition Ukraine...  ::)

Valerian

As you may have heard, Trump's legal team sent a letter demanding the New York Times retract their article where two women reported being sexually harassed by Trump.  This is the newspaper's reply: http://www.nytco.com/the-new-york-timess-response-to-donald-trumps-retraction-letter/

My favorite part:
The essence of a libel claim, of course, is the protection of one's reputation.  Mr. Trump has bragged about his non-consensual sexual touching of women.  “He has bragged about intruding on beauty pageant contestants in their dressing rooms.  He acquiesced to a radio host’s request to discuss Mr. Trump’s own daughter as a 'piece of ass'.  Multiple women not mentioned in our article have come forward to report on Mr. Trump's unwanted advances.  Nothing in our article has had the slightest effect on the reputation that Mr. Trump, through his own words and actions, has already created for himself.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 13, 2016, 08:39:11 AM
Woot! Bob Dylan is awarded the Nobel prize for literature! The man who was once called "Judas" by an angry fan has been a much-discussed dark horse of the prize for a long time - there are never any official shortlists of names given out by the Academy and he's mostly been seen as a fringe name. Few people thought he would ever be given it and there's no doubt going to be some mixed reactions, not least in English-speaking countries I guess.

Personally I think it's a very good choice, and an exciting one. He's not just a great songwriter but an amazing poet, and the intricate skill of his words comes through even separated from the music. And he really is one of the essential voices of the modern world. They could have made it a shared award with Leonard Cohen, the other "grand old man" of 1960s singer-songwriterdom and just as good a poet and singer, but I think they have dropped the practice of ever sharing the literature prize between two authors belonging in the same field in some sense.

Edit: The culture and literature department at the leading local daily around here are mostly negative, one sixty-year old critic (supposedly a heavyweight, but not in my eyes) going as far as calling it "a depressing choice" and a "pointless Trumpification" of the prize. Nevermind.  :P
Check out this article I found from a few days ago discussing who might win: https://newrepublic.com/article/137496/will-win-2016-nobel-prize-literature
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

Quote from: Beorning on October 13, 2016, 02:18:25 PM
And *still*, I fear he may win...  :-(
If it's any consolation, polls predicting that he'll win are almost nonexistent.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beorning on October 13, 2016, 02:18:25 PM
And *still*, I fear he may win...  :-(

He's gone too far and much of the party he's been running for is pulling the plug on him. It's going downhill from here I think. :-) Even if it's gonna be amazingly nasty.

Sara Nilsson

The fear I have is people go: oh he wont win so I wont be  bothered to go vote for Clinton/whatever the other people are named I cant remember. So he sneaks in a win that way. i know how lazy my countrymen are.

Beguile's Mistress

He still has people supporting him, or saying that they do, but more and more are expressing doubts about voting for him or voting at all.  He's become an embarrassment to his supporters, himself and the party.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Valerian on October 13, 2016, 02:25:47 PM
Check out this article I found from a few days ago discussing who might win: https://newrepublic.com/article/137496/will-win-2016-nobel-prize-literature

Yep, they're listing Bob Dylan as one of half a dozen great American writers who won't win the prize....The link to a piece about Dylan in a break high up in the article has been added by some bot after he won, that's for sure.

There's always been bets on him through the years, but it was more or less his fans betting on him. I think Ladbrokes had the odds 500 to 1 on him a couple years back.  ;) The live coverage on Swedish tv at 1 o'clock today was actually funny, because before the announcement there were a few critics in a studio talking about who would be the hot candidates (Ngugi Wa'Thiongo, Murakami, Algerian female writer Assia Djebar, long-exiled Syrian poet Adonis and a few more), then they cut to the building where the Academy resides, Ms Danius came out and read out the name to wild applause and took some questions - and when the camera cut back to the studio, no one there made any secret of how surprised and even a bit deflated they felt. One of them actually said "With this one and Svetlana Alexeyeva last year, they have broken all the normal rules for what counts, what you'd expect" for a first-rate literary prize.

It could very likely be a choice that came about after there's been two factions inside the circle, with a minority supporting somebody else - but unless someone wants to speak to the press (never heard of with these guys, they are masters of keeping silent about the selection process) we won't know for fifty years.  :D

WindFish

Quote from: Valerian on October 13, 2016, 01:52:03 PM
As you may have heard, Trump's legal team sent a letter demanding the New York Times retract their article where two women reported being sexually harassed by Trump.  This is the newspaper's reply: http://www.nytco.com/the-new-york-timess-response-to-donald-trumps-retraction-letter/

My favorite part:

Funny how Trump will parade around with Bill Clinton's accusers mere hours before the debate, yet when women come forward and accuse him, he threatens to sue them and whine that they're a part of a "liberal media conspiracy". You gotta love the hypocrisy and the double standards.

This is only the tip of the iceberg. We can only guess how many more women he assaulted are out there and how many more Trump Tapes will be released.

Hell, even Utah is in play now, as a poll released yesterday showed Trump and Clinton tied at 26% and third party candidate Evan McMullin at 22%. If Trump is bleeding that hard in perhaps the most Republican state of them all, that doesn't look good for him.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/meet-evan-mcmullin-ex-cia-operative-taking-trump-votes-utah-n665151
Actively Searching For New One x Ones

Search Thread
O/Os
F-List

TheGlyphstone

Utah is traditionally Republican, but it's also heavily Mormon, and the Mormons absolutely hate Trump.

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 13, 2016, 05:48:36 PM
Literally daring an insane rich person to do something.

That takes a real pair.

True, but in case he would get elected against all odds, he probably won't want to enter his tenure with a lawsuit against one of the leading dailies in the country hanging over him. I mean, "President Trump, at the White House, suing the NY Times in court over claims about his private life" - how would that look? It would be almost as catchy as Bill Clinton's impeachment procedure.

And I don't think he would seriously want that kind of thing happening if he lost the election and was still living in Trump Tower by the turn of the year.  :P

Trigon

Looks like Trump is now blaming a "vast globalist conspiracy" for his sinking campaign and poll numbers: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/donald-trump-conspiracy-accusations-229750

Unbelievable how some people think its never their own fault!

Missy

I think he's in the basement blowharding in the vain hope the cement coming down won't crush him.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Missy on October 14, 2016, 06:15:03 AM
I think he's in the basement blowharding in the vain hope the cement coming down won't crush him.

*thinks unmentionable thoughts about "cement", descent and "East River" * :D

Lilias

Louise, if you want to see some truly epic brawls, look up the Taiwanese Parliament on YouTube. They fall squarely in the 'You can't make this shit up' category.

Part of being POTUS involves having people hurling all sorts of abuse your way while you don't retaliate. Like Churchill said, 'You'll never get anywhere if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way.' Trump wouldn't last five minutes of that.

The snarky part of me suspects someone got Bob Dylan confused with Dylan Thomas, anniversary and all. :P

Locally: Black Mirror returns
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Trigon

Turns out that, despite all claims to the contrary, Trump donated a whopping $0.00 to 9/11 victims.  What a surprise  ::) ::) ::)

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/nyc-audit-finds-donald-trump-donations-911-months/story?id=42801444

Lustful Bride

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/men-accused-of-killing-toddlers-say-shaken-baby-syndrome-should-be-on-trial-not-them/ar-AAiW89u?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Edit: Removed previous thoughts, since after a further read of the article, now my mind is filled with doubt in both directions.

Trigon

Trump is now claiming that Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim is the man responsible for all of his failures, and believes he is leading the "conspiracy" against him and his presidential candidacy: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/10/donald-trump-carlos-slim-new-york-times

Beguile's Mistress

The man is delusional and paranoid.