Tablets.

Started by Dez, August 28, 2016, 10:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dez

I'm about to invest/purchase a Tablet. The OfficeDepot in my area is having a sale and I can get one at a pretty decent price.

I found some free downloadable document programs. My question is, has anyone heard of any of these or used them:

OpenOffice.org

AbiWord

Jarte

LotusSymphony

NeoOffice

OfficeOnline

Zoho

ThinkFree

Etherpad

I've used and am familiar with Google Docs for what I have in mind, which is to use the Tablet while my PC is otherwise being occupied.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Other?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Reno

What sort of tablet?  On anything but Android, I stick to OpenOffice. On my Android tablet, I use WPS after ThinkFree wiped out 3 pages on me when the screen went to sleep.

Vekseid

OpenOffice is an open source office suite like Microsoft Office. It is comparable to Google Docs in this regard, though it will be storing things locally rather than the cloud. It has a spreadsheet (calc), word processor (writer) and several other office productivity applications. After LibreOffice split off, OpenOffice got left in the dust for a bit before its own devs got their act together. They are both extremely solid applications at this point.

AbiWord is another open source program, but is only a word processor. I have never used it personally, but some prefer it.

I haven't used any of the others, and compared to OpenOffice, I would have to be convinced that any of them could hold a candle, personally.

Reno

I concur with Veks, except that the android port had some hardcore performance issues. Any other platform, though (except maybe ios, don't own any of those devices), it's pretty much tops.

Dez

Thank you Gentlemen....

All the display models had been sold when we went to look as far as the tablets went. So I bought a Chrome Notebook for $130.00 --- with tax it came to $155.00.

Not bad, all things considered.

*throws out kisses to Veks and Reno*

Reno

I've got one of those, too (I'm a bit of a gadget whore,  I'll cop to it). It's great for writing in Google Docs.

AmberStarfire

OpenOffice is good. I've used that before. I don't know if it's changed but when I was in college I ended up having to get Word because there's a difference in file formats and it didn't have the same track changes feature. It depends on what you need it for but for most purposes it's very similar to the Microsoft Office package.

I don't know the other ones.

Dez

Thank you, AmberStarfire. I'll be checking into that, most definitely.

Despairs

You can also download WPS office 2016. It comes with a spreadsheet, writer(It's like Microsoft word 2010). There is a paid and a free version. If you have any problems with the tablet, let me know.
---> Click here to visit current request thread for pairings with plots as well as ons and offs.<---
Note: Strictly  homosexual pairings as the main focus in stories bore me, however I am fine with it as side pairings as long as I write for the males  in a relationship with each other, or the two  males involved with each other and the female in a polyamory relationship.

Status: May be slow in replying to messages due to online Uni and job hunting.

Uni graduation: 8/24/25.