RPGs you want to try but you doubt you'd get your Real Life Group to try.

Started by Callie Del Noire, May 26, 2011, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelyn

I don't have a RL RP group around me anymore.  Too many break ups and moves that it all fell apart.  I would love to find a good WoD game though.  I miss playing Vampire. 

Best embrace I've ever witnessed:

Malkavian:  *screams in surprise*  What's that?!  *points the other direction*
Human:  *turns head quickly to see what's up*  Where?!
Malkavian:  *waits for human to turn their head then pounces*

Ahh, good times...

Callie Del Noire

Funguy81

TheGlyphstone

Since WoD has been mentioned, I've been reading the latest draft of Genius: The Transgression and basically falling in love with every page. A Genius game would be so much fun, it's unbelievable.

Malefique

Real life roleplayers, those were the days.  Nowadays if I talk to someone and mention rpgs they almost always start talking about Baldur's Gate or Two Worlds or Fable.  Until I came here, that is.  I always wanted to do Changeling but it never got much interest.  And Delta Green, never had a chance at that.
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

HairyHeretic

Changeling the Dreaming or Changeling the Lost?

I'd love to give CtD a go as well, but any game I've gotten into of it so far has died very shortly after starting.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Chocolate Sin

I'd love to try Burning Wheel, but my group's never been in the right space for it. Star Wars Saga looks pretty good too.

Callie Del Noire

Well the pathfinder game went off well. The Druid got put down by a cave fisher but it died right after it put him to -1 and the 30 foot fall did him -8. His body landed on the cleric who stabilized him. 

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 29, 2011, 01:41:50 PM
Well the pathfinder game went off well. The Druid got put down by a cave fisher but it died right after it put him to -1 and the 30 foot fall did him -8. His body landed on the cleric who stabilized him.

That's one for tavern-tales later.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on May 29, 2011, 02:30:13 PM
That's one for tavern-tales later.

Yeah.. after 3 rounds of panicked channeling (which healed the large wolf sized spider I was fighting) I came to the decision that the Gnome Illusionist's blinding ray was wicked good. :D

Oniya

We had one session that involved landing near the cleric with the Res. spell (that monster must have been convinced that the monk was immortal!  But that's a story for a different thread), but never on one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Right now I'm working on a 'Check list' of what is going to be allowed/not allowed in my game (sooner or later I'll have one start up).

Some of the 'house rules' I'm adding so far.
-No Curses for Oracles. It's annoying stuff mostly.
-No Calvaliers, still waffling on Inquistors, Witches.
-No Archtypes. While some are fairly good some like the Synergist from the new Ultimate Magic book are potentially terrifying.

TheGlyphstone

You might want to reconsider that last one, at least for classes like the Fighter - the addition of Archtypes gave Fighters something they'd been lacking since 3.0 was printed..actual class features other that +1/-1 to [X]. They make the Fighter chassis a hundred times more flexible and varied without really messing with the power level much.

One I've heavily considered myself for my eventual game (though I wouldn't be running pure PF anyways) is just giving Monks straight-up full BAB. They currently have full BAB for everything except feat prerequisites, which I find to be silly and nonsensical.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 30, 2011, 09:33:50 AM
You might want to reconsider that last one, at least for classes like the Fighter - the addition of Archtypes gave Fighters something they'd been lacking since 3.0 was printed..actual class features other that +1/-1 to [X]. They make the Fighter chassis a hundred times more flexible and varied without really messing with the power level much.

One I've heavily considered myself for my eventual game (though I wouldn't be running pure PF anyways) is just giving Monks straight-up full BAB. They currently have full BAB for everything except feat prerequisites, which I find to be silly and nonsensical.

Truthfully fighters can do almost everything that their Archetypes can in pathfinder. Pathfinder fighters are very very flexible. Hell with the Ametauer gunslinger feat they make better gunmen than the class. 

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 30, 2011, 08:18:22 PM
Truthfully fighters can do almost everything that their Archetypes can in pathfinder. Pathfinder fighters are very very flexible. Hell with the Ametauer gunslinger feat they make better gunmen than the class.

I'd really disagree, there are tons of archtype abilities that feats simply can't replicate - from the APG alone, you've got things like the Archer Archtype making so an archery-based warrior can use his weapon safely, even against melee range enemies. The Mobile Fighter and (to a lesser extent, the Two-Weapon Fighter) make baby steps towards what melee classes desperately need, the ability to fight at full effectiveness without standing still for a whole turn. I can understand denying caster classes archtype abilities...they need more power like a bonfire needs ten gallons of gasoline...but it's definitely a leg up for the mundanes (the fighter at least, I know very little of other classes's archtypes).

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 30, 2011, 08:50:40 PM
I'd really disagree, there are tons of archtype abilities that feats simply can't replicate - from the APG alone, you've got things like the Archer Archtype making so an archery-based warrior can use his weapon safely, even against melee range enemies. The Mobile Fighter and (to a lesser extent, the Two-Weapon Fighter) make baby steps towards what melee classes desperately need, the ability to fight at full effectiveness without standing still for a whole turn. I can understand denying caster classes archtype abilities...they need more power like a bonfire needs ten gallons of gasoline...but it's definitely a leg up for the mundanes (the fighter at least, I know very little of other classes's archtypes).

Sorry.. I can see most of what the Archetypes can do in the fighters.. and the Ultimate Magic book killed it in one word.

Synergist.

TheGlyphstone

Then ban the caster archtypes. Or...just ban casters. I wouldn't complain.

Though now I'm going to have to go look up what Synergist does, if it's this ridiculous. ???

Black Howling

I'd love to try Palladium sometime, but will never be able to get the books and considering my group I'll never be able to get them to try it.

{EDIT} Add rifts to that as well, and I'm with Callie on Mutants and Masterminds.

TheGlyphstone

Oh yeah, back on topic.

Um....oh, I remember one. A rather obscure indy RPG called Continuum, all about playing time travellers.

Callie Del Noire

Eclipse Phase.. a post-Singularity game.. Mankind is scattered all over the solar system after a near extinction event on Earth. The AIs (Titans) are gone but the impact of the cataclysm is still seen throughout the solar system.

Some of the fun you can have includes duplication a person's consciousness.. in fact one adventure I have the players are all 'forks' (copies) of the same person.

HairyHeretic

A friend of mine has played a few games of that. I've read a bit of the background, and it is quite interesting.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 31, 2011, 08:32:52 AM
A friend of mine has played a few games of that. I've read a bit of the background, and it is quite interesting.

Oh it is a very fascinating game. LOTS of things to play with. Such as the project to create a whole new generation of people that fell through. They put the kids in a virtual world, ran it at 50 times normal speed, when 'accidents' started happening they would wipe and reset the world. Turns out all the kids had been infected with a mental virus, and a good chunk of them were psychotic. Just what you needed, a new generation of humans with mental powers, an awareness of what can be done in the world and virtually and without a speck of compassion.

One supposedly destroyed an entire habitat.

Then you got things like uplifted animals (I've seen instances of octopi and apes and such in the game)

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2011, 08:37:46 AM
Then you got things like uplifted animals (I've seen instances of octopi and apes and such in the game)

Uplifted like in the David Brin novels?

Another game I always wanted to try was Planescape.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die