Beyond Hogwarts, Potter-verse (BON-H; Freeform)

Started by Vandren, June 15, 2009, 09:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Alright, I'm still developing this idea and jotting down setting info, but . . .

Would there be any interest in a post-NEWT, Potter-verse group?

The idea is set at what is basically a Wizarding college located on an island off the western coast of Ireland (I'm using photos of Innissheer Island).  Graduates of Hogwarts, Durmstrang, and Beauxbatons, or other minor European schools would be acceptable.  There are no houses, since those are already set.  In addition to continued magical studies, the school (in my conception) is also very sexually open and experimental, interested in expanding students' horizons.

All characters would be Human (or at least part-Human, some part-Giants, part-Veela, etc. may be allowed).

Like I said, its still a bit rough, bu if there's interest I'll do more development.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

polaroids

Er.
There's no such thing as Wizarding colleges.
Hogwarts (and other similar schools) basically prepare you for your jobs and further training continues on the job site.  For example, if you want to become an Auror you go to the Ministry and you're trained.  Same with Healers. 

But I'm just a stickler for keeping things pretty canon.
Good luck anyway~*~
This was the close,
this was the moment.
He pressed the golden metal to his lips
and whispered, "I am about to die."

[o/o]

Vandren

Quote from: polaroids on June 15, 2009, 03:06:27 PM
Er.
Hogwarts (and other similar schools) basically prepare you for your jobs and further training continues on the job site.  For example, if you want to become an Auror you go to the Ministry and you're trained.  Same with Healers.

Yes, I understand this . . . having read the entire series at least seven times, taught Rowling several times, written a dissertation on Rowling, and published two academic papers on her work.

But, that's not the point.

There are four reasons for the set up below:

1) Because it popped into my head while I was re-reading Half-Blood Prince last week

2) Because it sounded fun.

3) Because of character ages.

and

4) Because it avoids canonical characters in every way possible, in accordance with JKR's publicly stated wishes re: "adult" situations and her characters.  Which I have no problem with respecting (even if Foucault is correct [I don't think he is] and "the author is dead").
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Rhapsody

First off, grats on 6k posts.  :)

Second off, I might be interested.  I'm a huge Potter-phile.
Quote from: polaroids on June 15, 2009, 03:06:27 PM
Er.

Doesn't mean the shiny bright New Ministry under Shacklebolt might not have instituted one, given the sorely pathetic training Ministry officials and journalists in particular seem to receive in the Potterverse. :)  Or that there wasn't someone who created a private college of their own, a la the Four Founders.  The magical world is pretty underdeveloped in a lot of areas in the series.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Vandren

Danke, for the interest.

As far as the School for Advanced W & W goes, I'm figuring private (technically Hogwarts is private too, at least in U.S. terms, public in British terms) and certainly not Ministry approved, given the uniform I have in mind and the school's, shall we say, loose morality.   Basically, it is a place where more advanced magic is taught, including non-Dark magic that the Ministry still wouldn't entirely approve of.  Some inspiration came from a few pics posted at Imagefap, including an "erecto gigantum" transfiguration/charm that I'll leave to your imaginations.  ;)  Given this, a certain amount of maturity and skill would be required, thus the NEWT requirement.

Insight

Well, reguardless of the merit of the idea, I'm still interested. I'd be happy to join!
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

LordAnubis

Admittedly I'm a usual safe bet on joining a potter game if it gets off the ground.

Vandren

It's a little messy due to how the wiki handles pics, but here's a brief setting outline:

Wiki Page

I'm happy with what's there, but am open to modification so long as there's a good, coherent reason and an alternative is suggested.  :)

Vandren

Alright, there've been three expressions of interest . . . before starting anything up, I'd like confirmation on those, since I've posted info.  If there's a fourth person out there who has viewed an been interested, I'd like to hear from you too before starting anything.

The former can, if necessary, include tweaks/suggestions.

GothicFires

looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Vandren

Risa

DoctorWhy

Though there are no wizarding colleges technically, there is pre-job training. And if you took a bunch of people training for their careers and put them together, what would you have? A college!
'S logical, right?

Anyway, I'll be in, if there's room. I don't often build characters around pre-existing universe though, so I'll have to take some time to create this one..
"Wisdom is the conqueror of fortune."

Vandren

I've got no problem with large amounts of players/characters.  In this style thing, the more the better.  :)

I'll set something up in the way of IC threads tomorrow (Friday) afternoon (EDT), if I get a chance.  The evening otherwise.

As far as location, NC-H or BON?  Or elsewhere?

GothicFires

If there is going to be the chance of NC then it should go there. NC could include bondage but not the other way around.

I personally don't like NC, but will do it if the character forcing themselves upon mine wants an in game enemy  >:)
looking for new games

Vandren

Hi all,

I've set up threads in BON-H.  After some thought, I think that should still allow non-violent coersion, potions slipped into drinks, and consenting characters play-acting NC (therefore, not really being NC) if desired.

OOC Thread
Character Profiles

jilorbb

I was interested until I saw the female uniforms. While I can understand the skirts and kilts and the idea of a more sexually-open school, I can't go with the idea that you are required to dress scantily. This is supposed to be a school, after all, not just a sexual playground, right?

And, if that's not the purpose of the school, you might want to reconsider it's name.

GothicFires

you could be one of the students who wore a robe over their outfit the entire time because you weren't comfortable with the uniform. I think that would be a great concept.

You can be dressed wrist to wrist and chin to ankle and still be sexy or you can be in a bikini and have people wonder what the fuss is all about. I honestly don't think she is overly sexy... make it a sports bra and wear granny panties... It's a fantasy. It can be what ever we want to make it and not be wrong.

going against dress code is also a great way to get punished if you are into that sort of thing.
looking for new games

jilorbb

That's why I think it should be the other way around. Obviously, it makes no sense whatsoever to have the majority of people running around baring-all and then those that wear the robes are the ones who get punished. At a legitimate school this would never happen.

why not take the school idea seriously and have actual uniforms? Then the ones who wear the bikinis would be the ones who stood out and got into trouble. This is the only way I see it making any bit of sense. Otherwise, a person who was shy and/or seriously focused on school would never go to that academy in the first place.

GothicFires

It makes sense just fine. because it is a fantasy. Not something that actually exists.

if your character is shy and thinks that wearing a bikini with a skirt is not enough clothing then she can wear the robe to cover it with out getting in trouble. I was speaking of wearing more cloths to get in trouble.

you can make a reason for someone who is seriously shy to have no choice but to go there, perhaps they needed education and it was the only school that they could afford to get into.

This isn't real life, but honestly in real life I can sit in a classroom surrounded by good looking men in kilts and still get studying done. A woman in a bikini can be less of a slut than one who wears layers of cloths. Being sexy shouldn't be a problem.

Edited to add:
I've rp'd with Vandren before in a group game and briefly in a 1 on 1. He is a great writer. I am not sure if he has an over all plot for this game or if the dynamics will be based solely on character personalities but he is very capable of writing good stories that are more than just an orgy.

Give it a try. If you hate it then your character can always be written out, but who knows you might just have fun.
looking for new games

jilorbb

I don't think I'd be able to have fun because turning a wizarding school into a brothel suspends belief for me. I'm too much of a HP fan to take this seriously, I'm afraid. But I was really hoping to get involved since the only other HP game I found was Polaroid's and I'm not sure I'm expert enough to actually be involved in that one.

Vandren

Quote from: jilorbb on June 19, 2009, 07:53:02 PMThat's why I think it should be the other way around. Obviously, it makes no sense whatsoever to have the majority of people running around baring-all and then those that wear the robes are the ones who get punished. At a legitimate school this would never happen.

And at a real legitimate school, the principal wouldn't be allowed to throw out representatives of the federal or state government who were showing up with concerns about murders, assaults, and other goings on.  But, because it's fiction and fantasy, Rowling can let her school get away with it.  The "uniform" in question was put in place because the concept popped into my head a week or two ago and it seemed interesting.  I noted earlier that if anyone had problems with it, I'd listen.  No one among the first 100 views and several posts seemed to have any issues.

However, I find it interesting that it's the female uniform that's causing trouble for you, not the male uniform (which actually show a heck of a lot more).

Besides, when was it said that this place being proposed was legitimate?  In fact, it is stated that the place is non-Ministry approved, therefore making it implicitly non-legitimate.

Quotewhy not take the school idea seriously and have actual uniforms?  Otherwise, a person who was shy and/or seriously focused on school would never go to that academy in the first place.

Perhaps.  Or perhaps they thought it was something else.  Or they didn't know Anglo-Saxon and therefore couldn't translate the school name.  :)  As Gothicfires noted (thanks for the compliment, btw, not that I deserve it), that can open up RP possibilities.  And who said the school idea wasn't being taken seriously?  Also, who said that students who wear the robe (even closed) necessarily get punished?  I don't recall typing that anywhere.  Now, some faculty might, but I certainly never wrote that this would be standard policy.

QuoteI don't think I'd be able to have fun because turning a wizarding school into a brothel suspends reality for me.

Where'd that impression come from?  Brothels sell sex to outsiders and have employees who get paid for sleeping with people.  Neither of which is intended to be going on here.  In fact, outsiders are, for all intents and purposes, never likely to appear (unless there's a Ministry raid or some such . . . but I wouldn't do that . . . by the way, there's this great bridge in London that I need to sell, only 200 euro ;) ).

QuoteI'm too much of a HP fan to take this seriously, I'm afraid.

Your call.

However, as noted previously in this thread, I'm a huge fan (and scholarly critic) of Rowling's world, so please don't imply otherwise.  That fandom is exactly why this isn't set at Hogwarts and doesn't involve canon figures.

jilorbb

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you weren't a fan, though after re-reading what I wrote I can understand that you took it that way. I only meant that this school situation didn't fit my own take on the HP universe.

And brothel was certainly the wrong word to use, admittedly, it was just the first one to come to mind.

Transgirlenstein

I would be interested if you need another character
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Vandren