Legend of the Five Rings - Samurai Fantasy- {Interest Check}

Started by Pumpkin Seeds, September 12, 2011, 10:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumpkin Seeds

I felt compelled to put up a thread seeking interest in a Legend of the Five Rings game.  There don’t seem to be many, if any, going on right now and I find that a shame since the world is so rich and vibrant.  So I would love if someone would run a game set in the Legend of the Five Rings universe.  In particular if they used the new 4th edition rule set.  Still I understand if someone prefers the old systems and that is fine for me as well, except for the d20 system. 

Is there anyone else out there that wants to play or run a Legend of the Five Rings game.  Please speak up and maybe we can get something going on Elliquiy.

LightNight

I know the game well Seeds & you are right about its world, I'm realy surpised there is not many roleplays about it already.
Enjoy the Fantasy just don't live your fantasy.

kckolbe

I would definitely be interested in playing in L5R, either 3rd or 4th edition.  I would gladly help run, but would strongly prefer to not be the primary GM.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Kirinis

I'm very much interested in L5R and I would be interested in playing.  I do have a story concept I would be willing to test try, but it needs some more time to cook.  Too much ambition and not enough practical grounding for it to actually take off.  So for the meantime, if someone's interested in running a game, I wouldn't say no at all.

HairyHeretic

I've been running a 4th ed L5R game on mumble, using the old 1st ed City of Lies campaign setting. We're almost at the end of the Night of a Thousand Screams, which I used as an intro to the campaign.

I'm going on to a new shift now (nights) so will be putting it on hold til I settle into the new shift, then will see who wants to play on at it. I may have slots free.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Muse

It's one of those games I'd rather have a good chance to play before I tried to run, but I'd love to run. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

Altair1983

Raises hand  Yes im so up for this. and lets up remember we must shun the abomination you must not refer to the evil the wizards of the coast let out into the world.

Pumpkin Seeds

So now we just need someone to want to run a game.  And I know there are more ladies out there that love these samurai stories!  I know I can't be the only one.

arikelillusion

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on September 12, 2011, 04:59:03 PM
So now we just need someone to want to run a game.  And I know there are more ladies out there that love these samurai stories!  I know I can't be the only one.

you are not the only one! ;) -waves- love it too!
but i dont think i could run the game...
Anxiously
wildly
madly
My body is calling you
"On fire"!!

Enigmaticx18

I'm interested aswell, I have a ungodly love for the Samurai era. However I may have played DnD before but i am not that familiar with it. I'm still a noob *scratches head* Hope that wouldn't be a problem as i do learn things easy

Kirinis

Hmm...after much deliberation and locking my instinct for self-preservation in the cupboard, I will give running a campaign a roll.  Now before I start making grandiose statements, I would like to take a sample survey from the people currently here on what they would be interested to have in a Emerald Empire campaign.

1] Is there a particular era you would like to play in?

2] What elements of the setting would you like to see more of? [Court intrigue, Kolat/Gozoku, Peasants, etc.]

3] What elements would you prefer not to play a bigger role in this campaign?

4] Multi-clan party or single clan?

5] What you want to get out of the game?

And also if you have anything you want to address, feel free to speak up.  I'll factor it all into my campaign plan.

Enigmaticx18

Quote from: Kirinis on September 13, 2011, 10:56:01 AM
Hmm...after much deliberation and locking my instinct for self-preservation in the cupboard, I will give running a campaign a roll.  Now before I start making grandiose statements, I would like to take a sample survey from the people currently here on what they would be interested to have in a Emerald Empire campaign.

2] What elements of the setting would you like to see more of? [Court intrigue, Kolat/Gozoku, Peasants, etc.]

And also if you have anything you want to address, feel free to speak up.  I'll factor it all into my campaign plan.

Count me in, It'll be one of my first but hey have to start somewhere.

1. Honestly since this is a Samurai era, i was thinking towards the end of the era. Where gun's are being Implemented. I love the stories about Samurai still fighting Valiently against rebels or emperor armies who started using guns and Cannons. That's just me though, i don't mind what kind of era we rp in.

2. Focus upon the clans really, IE: Shingemumi if i spelled that correctly. Mind as well call them the Mibu Wolves, If that's an option i would love to play one of them.

3. Actually i don't have any that i wouldn't prefer.

4. Multi-Clan Party, it brings about more personalities than just a single clan would.

5. Fun with other fellow samurai rpers.

kckolbe

Enigmatic, we are talking about a specific setting called Legend of the Five Rings, not just a generic oriental campaign.

As for Era, I am fond of the Four Winds era, but definitely open to other periods, like Steel Chrysanthemum or Clan War.  In general, I would like to not start after 1159, as I feel the setting got kinda nuts after that.

Elements, eh?  *I* am a fan of the Kaeru (a ronin family) pre-Lion, personally, and love other concepts that don't really fit but have become part of the culture.

I would love if Yoritomo Kumiko never existed or at least was executed for concealing the taint.  I hate her.  I am also okay without the other realms being prominent.

No preference on #4, depends on the story

Just looking for a good story.

If courtiers are present, I would suggest some house rules for making them a little more diverse.  Every courtier can be a great courtier by just stacking Awareness.  I would make Etiquette based on Willpower, and games on Int, spreading them out a bit.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

rancorius

Muse

*Grins* 

Awesome Kirinis. 

Are you looking at 4th edition?  Or an earlier? 

I have some experience, but I'm not sufficiently versed with the metaplot to really have preferences yet. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

LightNight

Quote from: Kirinis on September 13, 2011, 10:56:01 AM

1. I personaly like the Destoryer war as it was major event in the timeline as well was alote of combat but would not mind doing it after the war as well.
2. Elements well not realy sure I have to say I'm not much for Court stuff. -mumbles some thing about weak crane-
3. Not sure about this one.
4. Multi-clan it more interesting as most my chars I have done have some to do with two clans not just one.
5. Not realy sure just to see what happens next.

Pumpkin Seeds

1.   I do prefer stories that are set earlier in the history, but in truth I have no real preference for an era.

2.   I am a big fan of playing warriors and so obviously do enjoy the martial aspect of the game.  That being said I do like courtly intrigue and politics.  One of my favorite aspects of the game is how even a great warrior must play the game of politics if they want to advance socially.  I think this is especially true for a female character that has to worry about marriage and producing children as a duty to their family and Clan.  I enjoy playing out those aspects.

3.   I am not a big fan of High Magic as in..Gods and Dragons coming down on high regularly.  I like those elements to be played as life changing events, not over sake and rice cakes.

4.   Multi-party is fine, but I do like group cohesion.  So characters need to be willing to at least work together.

5.   Fun for me is when I feel like my character has left something behind them.  Whether that be a budding legacy with a child they worked hard to get into prestigious schools, altered the future of Rokugan somehow or obtained a difficult goal.

arikelillusion

1. i dont have any spacial era.. for me any era is good...
2. i like the court intrigue...
3. dont have any that i dont like playing
4. multi clan, but i dont mind single one too...
5. fun =)
Anxiously
wildly
madly
My body is calling you
"On fire"!!

LordAnubis

I would have to join the list of people who wsnt to play, but not run. I am running two games with my local people and do not want to add a third run until i get to play.

Personally any era is fine with me.

I would like court and the politics of it. Otherwise ypu only have half the world.

Have not found any elements i dislike.

Small multiclan, one or two clans. Unless they are assigned to an emerald magistrate.

I want to build towards some accomplishment with the chance to fail. If it is just given then it feels empty.

Altair1983

1] Is there a particular era you would like to play in? Any Era is fine with me

2] What elements of the setting would you like to see more of? [Court intrigue, Kolat/Gozoku, Peasants, etc.] A healthy mix of everything is always good

3] What elements would you prefer not to play a bigger role in this campaign? N-A

4] Multi-clan party or single clan? Multi clan always makes for good roleplay. Also not exactly a clan but would definitely like to see ronin thrown in for good measure.

5] What you want to get out of the game? Well first to have fun and build a intriguing  story that includes and draws together the player characters.

kckolbe

Vek, I see you peeking!  By the way, a new female member named Idariel is interested, but feeling pretty sick right now.

Intro Thread

Lady Kitsune

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on September 13, 2011, 01:54:50 PM
1.   I do prefer stories that are set earlier in the history, but in truth I have no real preference for an era.

2.   I am a big fan of playing warriors and so obviously do enjoy the martial aspect of the game.  That being said I do like courtly intrigue and politics.  One of my favorite aspects of the game is how even a great warrior must play the game of politics if they want to advance socially.  I think this is especially true for a female character that has to worry about marriage and producing children as a duty to their family and Clan.  I enjoy playing out those aspects.

3.   I am not a big fan of High Magic as in..Gods and Dragons coming down on high regularly.  I like those elements to be played as life changing events, not over sake and rice cakes.

4.   Multi-party is fine, but I do like group cohesion.  So characters need to be willing to at least work together.

5.   Fun for me is when I feel like my character has left something behind them.  Whether that be a budding legacy with a child they worked hard to get into prestigious schools, altered the future of Rokugan somehow or obtained a difficult goal.

What she said.... :P

I have only been newly introduced to L5R but I really like it.  I do have some of the books.  I will throw my hat in.
I am working on it, I swear!

Kirinis

Alright, I neglected to ask an additional question.  I'm fine with running either 3rd or 4th editions.  But I'll run the edition that everyone has the books for.  So sound off on which edition you would prefer.

kckolbe

I have the rules for both, but prefer third since it has my favorite class, the ronin courtier.

Intro Thread

Idariel

I would love, love, love to play in this world ... I have only just been introduced to it, but it has quite captured my imagination!
Thank you Kolbie, PumpkinSeeds, for letting me know!!

<blush> I ... um... don't have the books at all, at the moment.
"Visualize your dream
Record it in the present tense-Put it into a permanent form
If you persist in your efforts-You can achieve dream control."

-Silent Lucidity by Queensryche, the spoken words.

~ONs & OFFs~ | ~Apologies & Absences~ | ~Introduction~ | ~Oath of Drake~
~Axiom Thread~ | ~Idariel's Flights of Fancy~ | ~Idariel's Story Teller's Thread~

LightNight

Pumpkin Seeds

4th edition is the one I have on hand.  I possibly have the 3rd somewhere but not certain.

Lady Kitsune

I am working on it, I swear!

LordAnubis

I have both, but more 4th than 3rd.

Other than some of the advantages being a little Eh, I like 4th's balancing more than 3rds

Altair1983

arikelillusion

Anxiously
wildly
madly
My body is calling you
"On fire"!!

kckolbe

Wow, 4th is pretty anti-ronin.  They don't even have the Kaeru family, and the options for being ronin are ridiculously weak.  Having no family and no class only gets you 25, which comes out to 24 pts for the two traits you miss out on, with 1 point left over for the seven starting skills, 2 emphases, and a technique.  Pretty lame. 

Intro Thread

Kirinis

All right, I'll stick with 4th Edition then.  For those of you who don't have the Core book, I'll walk you through character creation via PM or if you can find someone else willing to share it'll be fine.  I'm almost done boiling up the campaign, still hammering actual time frame.  But start considering character concepts.  The theme will be you're all part of a newly formed band of Imperial Legionaires.  You can be any clan or ronin if you choose.  Since I'm not certain this will take place during or after the Destroyer War yet, don't select the Spider Clan or any of its classes for your character.

Altair1983

kckolbe um just wanted to point out on True Ronin Option one that 25 is additional to what you get for base creation in experience cause i have stated out a Ronin with option one and im 6 points away so far from insight rank 2 their is a huge possiblility for versatilty so its not as weak as you think. Actually i think its one of the better options for Ronin especially if your going with the back story of being born ronin it fits quite well and the alternate paths for ronin are not that bad either.

kckolbe

I realize what you are saying, but I was comparing a true ronin to a clan member with a school.  You are short six points, a technique, and have no gear.

Intro Thread

LightNight

Nice to here, now I need to think of a new char idea. -thinks-

Altair1983

Gains no family bonus or School; gains an additional
25 Experience Points during character creation
c Must purchase the Disadvantage Social Disadvantage:
Ronin
c Starting Honor: 3.5
c Outfi t: Ashigaru or Light Armor, Tattered Clothing,
Daisho, Traveling Pack
c Must seek out higher-Rank Ronin Paths when increasing
in Insight Rank
This is on page 234 of the fourth edition book, that is a pretty decent equipment set for a ronin.

kckolbe

I didn't notice the daisho, so that's not bad for a courtier (could sell the katana).  Still, 25 points does not in any way compare to two traits, 7 skills, 2 emphases, and a technique.  It's just such a huge drop.

Intro Thread

Muse

Name:      Suzume Kyou
Clan:      Sparrow
School:   Suzume Bushi School
Height:      
Weight:   
Build:   

Description:   The lythe beauty of a young man of the crane clan hides very nearly the full strength of the Crab’s young warriors.  Kyou is both of these things, yet neither.  Though he maintains manly stoicism, his eyes offer warm camaraderie and compassion.  He does not anger at petty things, but can be provoked to violence for the suffering of common folk that many would overlook.  Some might think his poverty marks him as a child of heaven wallowing in the mud with peasants.  Kyou smiles in quite pity.  He knows his place in the celestial order better than such fools.  He stands above those he rules, yes, for he is their protector.  They stand beneath him to lift him on their shoulders. 
   Kyou does not voice such radiacal ideas.  He fights for his country, hoping for a chance to stand against the taint.  At court he brushes clean his hakima and tells stories, offering charming smiles to the girls while his eyes promise that there are secrets in his tales he has yet to reveal. 
   There are always more stories to tell. 

Honor:      6.5

Air (3)
3   Reflexes
3    Awareness

Earth (3)
3   Stamina
3   Willpower

Fire (2)
2   Agility
2   Intelligence

Water (2)
2   Strength
2   Perception

Void (2)

Athletics         1
Battle            0
*Caligraphy         1
Courtier         0
Etiquette         1
Iajutsu            0
*Investigation         2
*Kenjutsu         2   (Katana)
Kyujutsu         1
Lore: Bushido         1
*Lore: Heraldry      1
*Lore: History         2
*Lore: Theology      1
Meditation         1
*Perform: Storytelling   2   

Merits: 
(4)   Benten’s Blessing
(7)   Paragon of Compasion
(3)   Voice

Flaws (Max 10)
(4)   Cursed by the Realm: Sakkaku
(2)   Idealistic
(2)   Lechery
(3*)   Overconfident

Technique: 
1:   All Things In Time: 
--The Suzume watches the flow of combat to discover the perfect time for his assault.  At the beginning of each Combat Round, before the first character has taken his Turn, you may reduce your initiative score by 5 to add 1k0 to all your attack and damage rolls for the Round. 

Defense:   20
--Damage Reduction   3
--Increase the target number of all athletics and stealth rolls by 5. 

Outfit:   
Hakima and Robe under Light Armor and Wooden Clogs.
Straw Pack, Cloak and Hat
Chopsticks
Gourd of Water and Gourd of Sake

Katana
Attack Roll   4k2
Damage      6k2

Wakasashi
Attack Roll      4k2
Damage   5k2
Range      20’

Yumi: 
Attack Roll   3k2
Amunition:   20 Willow Leaf Arrows
Damage   5k2
Keywords:   Large
Strength   3
Range      250’
Special Rules:    Increase the TN of all attack rolls by 10’ if used from horseback. 

LordAnubis

Also, the Ronin Family is the Oriole Clan now.  The Tsi family was made a minor clan in the transition from 3rd revised to 4th edition.

kckolbe

I saw the Tsi family, but it was the Kaeru family I'd been speaking of.  I didn't see Yotsu either.

Intro Thread

Pumpkin Seeds

LightNight

I'm as well working on char just trying to work out the small things.

Altair1983

I have my stats together just getting my history settled and typed out hopefully will have that together soon.

Idariel

Hello! Here is my lovely character, though this is still a work in progress as I am working with Pumpkin Seeds, who is going to play Riel's Daidoji. Please let me know if I need to change anything, or misunderstood!

That will be a lot of fun!

Thank you, so very much, to both kckolbie and PumpkinSeeds who helped tremendously with Riel.

"Be more concerned with good actions than with great ones."

Clan: Crane Clan, Doji Family
Class: Shugenja Class, Asashina School: Honor 6.5
Sex/Age: Female, 19
Hair: Silvery-white
Eyes: Silver
Height/wight: 4'6 (1.36 meters) and 70 pounds (31.75 kg)

Character Pictures

Name: Doji Riel
Riel is a true child of Crane, still and quiet, elegant and gentle. She feels the wind in her bone and body,  and often wonders if true shape-change or flying would not be possible, after all. She is sometimes distracted by the beauty around her, and when painting has been known to tune all else out.

She has trouble hurting or destroying beautiful things or people, even if she really ought to; indeed, she is very idealistic and softhearted, expecting the best of everyone. She holds honor more dear then all else. She has never killed, and hopes to never kill, for she deeply believes that negotiation is the wiser, more honorable course, and that through talk and negotiation all things can be overcome.

She despises being dirty or disheveled, to the point of not concentrating well and making mistakes with her magic when she is not properly put together. She thinks of this as a struggle with the earth elements, and worries that she will take more training and practice then most to raise her Earth Ring, and to master Earth magics.

She is tiny, much smaller then most, and must rely upon her water magics and Yojimbo in a crisis. She is fragile, and suffers mood swings with the weather, growing less constrained and more wild on windy, stormy days, and quite placid and boring on calm ones.

Like all little birds, she enjoys bright and pretty things. Being of the Doji family, she was raised amongst art and beauty in even the simplest items. She has enjoyed her trips to court, though her  craving for a life of elegance and grace is equaled by her fascination with the peace and tranquility of the Crane Gardens.

She has spent her whole life focusing upon the magic within her, and striving to understand the ideals of her clan and family. She is a little uneasy to find herself out of the safe and known temple environment, and is more relieved then suspicious of her Clan choosing to safeguard her body and honor by providing a Yojimbo for her.

Her family sent her to the school as soon as her gift with spirits was discovered, around age five. She has thrived there, though she has been a touch too focused on her studies to be properly well rounded. It is hoped by the clan that this experience with the Legion will balance her.

Statistics:
Ref 4  Aware 4  (Air Ring)
Agi 2  Int 2
Str 3  Per 3 (Water Ring)
Sta 2  Will 2
Void 2

She can cast 4 air per day, 3 water, 2 earth, and 0 fire.
She has 3 air scrolls, 2 water scrolls, and 1 earth scroll.
Memorized Spells: Tempest of Air, Earth's Stagnation, Path to Inner Peace as well as Sense, Commune and Summon from her school.
Affinity/Deficiency: Air/Fire
Technique: The Soul’s Grace – The Asahina have harnessed the power of the kami for art, not war. You may spend a Void Point to reduce the total of all opponent's damage rolls inflicted within 20’ of you by 0k1 for a number of rounds equal to your School Rank.  (Using this technique again before its duration expires “resets” the duration but does not increase the damage penalty).  You also gain a Free Raise on any spell with the Defense keyword.

Skills and Flaws:
1 Artistic Skill: Painting 
1 Calligraphy (Cipher)
1 Etiquette
1 Lore: Theology
1 Meditation
1 Spell Craft
1 High Skill

Compulsive -2
Small -3
Idealistic (with softhearted) -2
Cursed by Fortune: Ebisu -3

Gear:
Outfit: Robes, Bo, Wakizashi, Scroll Satchel, Traveling Pack, 10 koku

The information below is for me, because I don't have the books … while it isn't necessary to look at any of it, I would appreciate anyone who felt like looking it over for mistakes/misconceptions as I have copy/pasted it from the website and could well have information in the wrong places.
Crane Clan Background notes

The Crane Clan, Left Hand of the Emperor, was known throughout Rokugan for its skilled duelists and artisans. The Crane were also noted courtiers, wielding great power in the courts of the land. The Crane were founded by the Kami Doji. They pursued excellence in all things, and the traditions established by Lady Doji were now customary in the Emperor's Court. The formal dueling system, iaijutsu, was established by Doji's husband, Kakita. Their preferential status with the Imperial line was renowned and throughout history the clan had had fewer taxes and more gifts heaped upon them. They were the masters of the courts and had the status and wealth commensurate with such a position. [1]
The Crane consisted of four powerful families in complete symbiosis, no two families overlapping in duties. The Doji family were the voice of the clan and control most of the politics within Rokugan. The Kakita family were famed for their iaijutsu duelists as well as their skills as artisans. The Daidoji family were the military might of the Crane as well as handling the things too dishonorable or dangerous for the other families. The Asahina family were the only shugenja in the clan, and spent their time in peaceful meditation and creation of nemuranai. The Asahina were in theory a fifth family, as the Yasuki family were once Crane. Their path however led them away from the Crane to the Crab Clan shortly after the founding of the Asahina. [2]
The lands of the Crane Clan stretched for miles on every side of the previous capital Otosan Uchi. Everything from the foothills of the Mountains of Regret in the north to the Asahina fields of the southern peninsula were claimed by the Crane. Their lands also covered most of the coastline of Rokugan. The province farthest to the south was once owned by the Yasuki family, but it was split between the Crab Clan and the Crane after the Yasuki defected to the Crab. While tensions in this area had been mostly low due to the peaceful Asahina living nearby the Crane still maintained Niwa Shita no Kage Toshi as a defensive fortress guarding the Crane side of Shio Senkyo no Riku. The people of the Crane lived a good life. The fields were rich, the taxes were light and the magistrates that patrolled the lands pride themselves on their honorable and just nature. [3]

Crane Clan Lands

Lands to the North
The northern parts of Crane lands bordered the Phoenix and Dragon Clans, the lands of the Emerald Champion and what remained of Otosan Uchi. These lands had been mostly peaceful throughout history, with only a couple of exceptions. The area was filled with merchants who run a brisk trade with the Phoenix as well as with numerous shrines maintained by the Brotherhood of Shinsei. The lands of the Emerald Champion were technically owned by the Emerald Champion, but the frequency with which the Champion was a Crane meant the lands were usually under Crane control. [3]
Coastal Regions
The coastal regions of the Crane stretched across ninety percent of all of mainland Rokugans coast. This effectively gave the Crane a major hand in all seagoing trade. There were multiple established ports and marketplaces along the entire coast, making the Crane the most effective means of transporting things by sea. Trade roads also run down along the coast, and were heavily patrolled by the Daidoji. The majority of the Crane population lived along the coast, and the cities were packed with people from all corners of Rokugan. [4]
Western Plains
The western lands of the Crane Clan were one of the keys to the prosperity of the Clan. The fertile rice fields were cultivated by the farmers and heimin of the Crane, and although the lands had often been disputed by the Lion Clan, the Crane maintained they had been given to Lady Doji by the Emperor Hantei when the lands were divided. The Lion frequently made forays into the lands to plunder their riches. Shiro no Yojin, the castle that was once the defence on the western border, was taken during the Night of Falling Stars several centuries ago, and had never been reclaimed. The crops grown in the western lands of the Crane were one of the primary sources of food in Rokugan, and were exported to nearly every corner of the Empire. The richest fields could be found in Osari Plains, named for a farmer who stood against an invading Scorpion force centuries ago. To the south of the area sat the remains of Beiden Pass. For centuries the pass had been heavily contested by the Crane, Scorpion and Lion until its destruction. [5]
Near the border with the Scorpion Clan and the Hare Clan lies Western Work Village.[6]
Southern Border
The province in the southern Crane lands was Kenkai Hanto, home of the Daidoji family. Several bustling cities could be found in this area, and bandit activity there was virtually unheard of due to the vigilance of Daidoji patrols. The areas to the far south of Kenkai Hanto had sporadic swampy reaches, where a variety of creatures were rumored to have been spotted including kenku, nezumi and naga. A small grove of stones could be found to the far south of the peninsula. The origin of the stones was unknown, but they shine in the light of a full moon as if a beacon were upon them. [7]
Gardens of the Crane
The Fantastic Gardens of the Crane were delicate beauties that were spoken of throughout Rokugan. They covered huge tracts of land reaching up to thirty li (miles), having been converted from arable land into pleasurable gardens by past Crane Clan Champions. The Crab would complain and call it a waste of land, but the vast and rich lands of the Crane afforded some spare for beauty. The gardens were works of art, containing bonsai trees, flower bushes and trickling streams that create the illusion of careless perfection. They were the result of generations of gardeners who spent their lifetimes perfecting their art. In addition to being art the gardens often symbolized something mythical, spiritual or historical.

Crane Clan Politics

The Crane are both respected and hated by the other clans. None however could dispute their economic importance to the Empire, essentially keeping the Empire going. The Crane attempted to keep relations smooth with all the clans, despite what they might actually feel towards some of the clans. [9]
Crab Clan
The Crab were viewed as brutish fighters; while strong and bold, they had forgotten everything but how to fight. In a way they had almost become a part of the Shadowlands, with dark magic and taint. Their sense of honor and civilization had degraded, and the Crane honor them as one would honor a dog who kept the wolves at bay. It would however be foolish to engage the Crab in direct conflict. [5]
Diplomacy with the Crab Clan had been a touchy business since the fourth century when the Crane-Crab War resulted in the defection of the Yasuki family from the Crane to the Crab. Because the Yasuki took up the position as the Crab's diplomats they were not allowed within the lands of the Crane, and the Black Crane Palace where the Yasuki would host visiting dignitaries was barred to Crane. To help remedy these issues, the Crab had a small number of Hida and Hiruma trained as courtiers specifically for negotiations with the Crane. Crane diplomats were also the only diplomats allowed directly into Kyuden Hida. Most of these were Daidoji, the only Crane the Crab respected, making the negotiations easier for both sides. [10]
Dragon Clan
The Dragon sat high in their mountains, contented in their mysteries. While most Crane could appreciate the focus and dedication of the Dragon as they meditate on esoterica, few could identify with their asceticism and introversion. The most recent conflicts with the Dragon had substantially infuriated a previously apathetic relationship.[5]
Lion Clan
The Lion despised the Crane for their intelligence and were jealous of their place in society. Like spoiled children, the Lion will came to blows over the smallest disagreement. While their devotion to Emperor and Empire was unsurpassed, it was mirrored by all who bore the mon of the Crane. [5]
Recently, and especially since Doji Domotai was heading the Crane Clan, the Alliance between the Crane and the Lion had softened this opposition.
Phoenix Clan
The Phoenix were like the Crane in many ways, and their understanding of society and civilization was matched only by their wisdom. Their ambassadors sought peace over war, and their magic was worth more than any boasting samurai. It was for these reasons and others that the Crane counted the Phoenix as allies. [7]
Scorpion Clan
The Scorpion was the Crane's most dangerous rival. Unlike the Lion or the Crab, who could be counted on to draw steel, the Scorpion fought with clever words, softly spoken lies, and subtle innuendo. Their cultivation of vice was renowned and their carefully wrought plans were the stuff of legend. Their lack of honor was a character flaw which could invariably used against them. It was with the Scorpion that the Crane skirmished most often, not on the field of battle but in the courts of the Emperor and nobility alike.[7]
Unicorn Clan
The Crane were very warm in their reception of the Unicorn when the latter returned from their travels. This had been rewarded by kindness, friendship, and trading of knowledge. The Unicorn offered military support bolstered by their impressive cavalry and received education on Rokugani etiquette and politics from those who best understand such things. [7]

Crane Clan Families: Asahina “Knowledge must be earned, not simply learned.”

The Asahina family was the shugenja family of the Crane Clan. They were also noted pacifists, and their beliefs often lead them to be less involved in matters of clan and imperial politics than the other families of the Crane.
The family originated from a Lion-Phoenix-Crane dispute. Isawa Asahina, the Phoenix Master of Air, who was violently obsessed with the Phoenix's war with the Lion when the Crane wanting to end the conflict brokered a peace treaty. In a response to the accord, Asahina turned his wrath upon the Crane for having the audacity to meddle. His rampage ended in the village of Kimura when Doji Kiriko, the Crane Clan Champion's daughter, threw herself repeatedly in front of Asahina's attacks thereby saving the lives of hundreds of villagers. He was so moved by her bravery that he realised the grievious mistakes his rage had driven him into. He left the Phoenix and nursed Kiriko back to health, renouncing violence forever. When she was fully healed, he married her and was granted his own family within the Crane. The two of them founded Shinden Asahina and started the pacifistic Asahina family.[2][3]
Isawa Asahina forsook the use of Fire when he forswore violence and joined the Crane. He turned his talents to Air, the element of healing instead, and now it is common for many of the Asahina shugenja use this element.
During the War of Spirits the Asahina denied the lands of the Crane cutting the bridges into their lands
"Knowledge must be earned, not simply learned." [1]

Crane Clan Families: Daidoji “The spear waits not for its master, but rushes forth to guard the way.”

The Daidoji family were the support troops of the Crane. They train the yojimbo used by Crane dignitaries, and their Harriers were the elite forces that most samurai -- even within the Crane -- did not even know exist. They also contributed the most men to the rank and file of the Crane armies, the Daidoji Iron Warriors.
The Daidoji were renowned throughout Rokugan for their unusual tactics and stubborn defense of the Crane Clan lands. The family was founded after the youngest son of Doji and Kakita, Doji Hayaku entered the Shadowlands after the Day of Thunder in search of his sister Doji Konishiko. Three years later he returned, his hair completely white and his speech lost due to a scar across his throat. In his hand was the blade Shukujo, which his sister had carried into the Shadowlands. Hayaku was given leave to found the Daidoji family, the "Defender of the Doji", and his children followed the duty to protect their kinsmen. To this day many Crane would dye their hair white as a tribute to Hayaku and a mark of loyalty to their clan. [2] The highest and most glorious part of that responsibility was to serve as the personal guard of the Crane Clan Champion. [3]
he two most well know instances of the Daidoji military in action were the Battle of Tidal Landbridge where the Daidoji Daimyo Daidoji Masashigi stood alongside the Hida defending against a Shadowlands attack, and the Swordsman's Last Stand when the Crane lost Shiro no Yojin to the Lion Clan. [4]
In 1132 the Daidoji Daimyo Daidoji Uji defied the orders of his Lord Doji Kuwanan, beginning the Crane Civil War. [5] Even at that dark moment, the Daidoji personal guard of Kuwanan was not dismissed. [3] Eventually both leaders met and put their differences aside. [6]
On of the most secretive schools of the Daidoji, the Harrier, were disbanded in 1169 when the current Champion, Doji Domotai knew of them and their illegal activities, which broke the Imperial law. [7] The last remnants were finished by Daidoji Fumisato and Domotai's Daidoji personal guard, led by Daidoji Kimpira. [3]
After the defection of the Yasuki family in the fourth century there were many of the Yasuki who refused to dishonor their vow to the Crane. Those Yasuki joined the Daidoji and since then the Daidoji had openly despised the Yasuki. The good relations between the Hida and the Daidoji was all that held the shaky truce between them, and it was often commented upon how the Yasuki and Daidoji are like two sides of the same coin. [4]
“The spear waits not for its master but rushes forth to guard the way.”
Vasssals of the Daidoji:
Hiramori family (no information found so far)
Hiramichi family (no information found so far)

Crane Clan Families: Kakita “For the coward there is no life, for the hero there is no death.”

The Kakita family were descended from the children of Doji and Kakita who decided to take their father's name. They comprised a great portion of the Crane Clan's armies and were arguably the finest artisans and duelists in the Empire. Many Kakita would often train in the Doji schools as well.
he style of Kakita became the famed Kakita Iaijutsu school, and he passed on his knowledge to any who had the ability and discipline to learn. He created their first dojo, and taught his students the way of honorable combat. All of his five children excelled at dueling, and his son Kakita Shimizu became the first Iaijutsu Master of the Kakita Dueling Academy. Training in the school was hard, and graduates of the school have become some of the finest duelists in Rokugan's history. Since it's founding each Emperor had also sent their sons to study both the physical and intellectual teachings of the school.[2]
The Kakita mon was a crane's wing outstretched around an unsheathed katana. The unsheathed katana was a symbol of war and a reminder to the Kakita family that they must always be prepared to defend the Crane house and Imperial line from their enemies.[1]
“For the coward there is no life, for the hero there is no death.”

Crane Clan Family: Doji “Be more concerned with good actions then with great ones.”

The Doji family were the descendants of the children of Doji and Kakita who took their mother's name. They were the Champions of the Crane, and are frequently, though not exclusively, the Emerald Champions as well. The Doji hosted the Crane's courtier and magistrate schools, although many of their number trained in the Kakita schools also.
The contributions from the Doji family throughout history shaped the civilization in Rokugan. They built the essential ceremonies and protocols that allowed the delicate political system to succeed, the Doji relying more on the power of the mind than the body. The Emperor's Left Hand have always been a member of the Crane, from the first Hantei to Kakita Yoshi and Hantei XXXVIII. To the Doji life itself was art, to be lived with finesse and without regrets. Their work in the Imperial Courts helped the people of Rokugan remember the purpose of living, to savor the finest of each moment. Many had no fear of death, because when you lived life to the fullest what could death take from you? The second son of Doji, Doji Nio, took his mothers name and followed in her footsteps. He served the Emperor as his mother had, and often traveled to the lands of the daimyo of other clans to facilitate communication and free trade between them.[2]
Since the founding of the Crane Clan the daimyo of the Doji family had also been the Crane Clan Champion. The only instance of this person not being a Doji was following the death of Doji Kuwanan in 1133 when Kakita Kaiten, the Kakita Daimyo acted as regent for both the Crane Clan and Doji family until the son of Kuwanan, Doji Kurohito, was old enough to assume the position in 1144
The family motto of the Doji were the last words spoken by Lady Doji on the night of her disappearance. It was said she came to the bedside of Doji Ochiba, the wife of Doji Nio, and revealed to her several secrets which had since been passed down from each wife of the Crane daimyo.[1]
"Be more concerned with good actions than with great ones."
Vassal families:
The Katogama family was a vassal family of the Doji. It was created by Doji Hejiko shortly after the Battle of Stolen Graves. Hejiko realized that the Crane Clan Champion needed a reliable source of information about possible traitors in Crane lands. Officially, the family kept the peace, monitored the land and reports back to the Champion. In fact, they were a spy network answerable only to their family daimyo and the Crane Clan Champion
The Tsume family was created by Doji Kigura as a reward to for having revealed a Bayushi's plot. "Tsume" (the "Talon") Kigura built a small stronghold in the Kintai Valley, sharing the valley with the Lion and the Phoenix. [1] Kigura's grandson, Doji Retsu was and aggressive and covetous man. He grabbed Kyotei Castle, the Damasu family castle, vassals of the Akodo, and wiped them out to a man. Ratsu also seized Toshi Ranbo, but conceded command to another Crane General and made Kyotei Castle the ancestral home of the Tsume. After Retsu was assassinated Tsume Takashi was made the new Daimyo. After the death of Toturi I, Takashi retired and his first son, Tsume Akemetsu, ruled the family. [1]  The Tsume had their own dojo, the Tsume Dojo, were the Tsume Pikemen were trained. [2]

Priestess information

Shugenja were not merely simple priests, but those who could draw power from the elements that surround them, causing the kami to manifest themselves in a very real and physical way. To be a shugenja required more than merely manipulating this power, but communing with it -- attaining unity with the universe and the willing assistance of the kami.
Kami interacted with the shugenja through magic. Some heard the kami more than others; some were even driven mad by the voices. However, the bond with the kami was what allowed the shugenja to develop. Powerful magic-wielders could even have several kami to help and serve them.
After a shugenja dies, the kami would try to find a new person, someone who closely resembled their former companion, often their son or daughter or a close family member. This in turn explained why the gift of a shugenja often appeared more frequent in certain lineages
A shugenja's life was usually quite solitary, as great meditation and study was always required, and most shugenja would spend their lives in temples and shrines. Those who wandered Rokugan were usually doing so to fulfill a specific command of their daimyo. Like all samurai, it was extremely rare for a shugenja to live among the lower castes.
Because of their special place in society, shugenja were often given special recognition or respect above equal-ranked bushi, but it would be most inappropriate for a shugenja to ever attempt to use his training to demand such treatment.
The worship of the gods and spirits called the Thousand Fortunes was known in Rokugan as "kami no michi", or "way of the gods". This was the ancient religion of the ancient Isawa family, a clan of shugenja who predated the fall of the Kami to the mortal realm and who had spread their faith throughout the lands of what would comprise the Emerald Empire along with their magical knowledge.
Rokugani believed that the world was an animistic place populated by countless spirits and deities, and that these beings had the power to affect reality and the course of their lives. These spirits ranged from beings who embodied such powerful and universal forces as Romantic Love and Strength like the Fortunes Benten and Bishamon, respectively, to those that embodied far more limited and parochial concerns, such as Kenro-ji-jin, the Fortune of Soil. Such divine beings also included mortals deified by the Emperor posthumously such as Osano-Wo who was declared the Fortune of Fire and Thunder after his death, to the individual spirits of the elements residing in the natural world all around. Every rock, river, tree, and mountain had its own mikokami -- "little god" -- protecting and watching over it.
These spirits, or Fortunes, each had two distinct natures. Their beneficial natures bestowed blessings on those who had earned their favor, whereas their wrathful natures cursed those who had earned their ire. Rokugani were very careful to stay within the good graces of all of the Fortunes, no matter how inconsequential the Fortune's position and divine portfolio might be. No one -- peasant nor emperor -- wanted to draw the wrath of any of the Fortunes.
Occasionally the Fortunes took human form. The appetites of the divine were similar to a mortal's, and sometimes children were born as a result of their desires. These children were mortal, born as they were from a divine parent who had taken on a mortal form, but they often possessed unusual abilities related to their divine parent's portfolio or fundamental nature. [1]

Asashina school information

The Asahina Shugenja were the only shugenja within the Crane Clan, and the family maintained a pacifistic view of the world, shunning open acts of warfare and fighting. They spent their time devoted to astrology, meditation and creation of nemuranai, talismans and fetishes. The Asahina loved to create things, a influence perhaps of mixing with the Kakita bloodline. The magic came from their Isawa heritage, and they had come to combine both skills in their work. The Asahina had never been the most prolific nor powerful shugenja in Rokugan, but their skills in creating magical objects was unparalleled. Tsangusuri, the creation of talismans and charms, was one of the focuses of the Asahina school, and all students of the school were taught the creation of minor fetishes. The Asahina had also uncovered some secrets to Meisho magic, which was the magic used to control the spirit of a person as opposed to the spirit of an item. Studies into this had spanned centuries, and could be very difficult and extremely dangerous. [1]
Quiet and serene, the Asahina are among the more monastic of all samurai families.  They are also perhaps the most pacifistic, even more so than the Phoenix Clan, and abhor violence, seeking other means of resolving disputes at all costs.  The Asahina are also known for their devotion to philosophy and the arts.
(Personal note: This family was actually formed from a Phoenix shugenja that went on a rampage.  A Crane woman stood in front of him each time he went to destroy a village and took the brunt of his attacks to save others.  Every time he went to destroy another village, she was there.  She never attacked him but only took the damage from him.  When his rampage was over he married the woman, became part of the Crane Clan and vowed peace.)

The Asahina Shugenja School:
Much like the family as a whole, the Asahina sensei who teach at the various branches of the Asahina Shugenja School extol the virtue of preserving life over heedless destruction.  As much monks as priests, the Asahina focus on the scholarly pursuits and meditation as a means of finding their path in the world.  They conduct the same rituals on behalf of the Crane that other shugenja families perform but they use the opportunity to raise questions for those participating or observing the rituals.  The Asahina regard everything as a teaching opportunity.  Likewise they place great emphasis on the creation of artwork, an act they consider essential to the improvement of the world around them.
Above all else, the Asahina Shugenja School focuses on defense and protection.  Both its core Technique and its spell emphases encourage spells that reduce damage and protect others from attacks.  Other spells possessed by Asahina shugenja tend to have an emphasis on crafting or creating.

Benefit: +1 Awareness
Skills: Any one Artisan skill, Calligraphy (Cipher), Etiquette, Lore: Theology, Meditation, Spellcraft, any one High Skill.
Honor: 6.5
Outfit: Robes, Bo, Wakizashi, Scroll Satchel, Traveling Pack, 10 koku
Affinity/Deficiency: Air/Fire
Technique: The Soul’s Grace – The Asahina have harnessed the power of the kami for art, not war.  You may spend a Void Point to reduce the total of all opponents’s damage rolls inflicted within 20’ of you by 0k1 for a number of rounds equal to your School Rank.  (Using this technique again before its duration expires “resets” the duration but does not increase the damage penalty).  You also gain a Free Raise on any spell with the Defense keyword.
Spells: Sense, Commune, Summon, 3 Air, 2 Water, 1 Earth
"Visualize your dream

~Axiom Thread~ | ~Idariel's Flights of Fancy~ | ~Idariel's Story Teller's Thread~

kckolbe

Some Shugenja questions for ya.  Can shugenja begin with rank 2 spells in their affinity still?  Is calligraphy used to scribe scrolls, if so what is the DC for it?  Can a shugenja draw a scroll as a free action then cast it as a complex action?

My 3 concepts are all almost done, and I will pick whichever one works best for what we have.

Intro Thread

Pumpkin Seeds

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on September 13, 2011, 01:54:50 PM

yes, please.  And #5 in particular is the reason the CCG is the most awesome thing to hit non-roleplay gaming.  The opportunity to write canon as a tourney prize?  Brilliant!

Kirinis

Things are looking good, a definitive Interest thread will be put up either by the end of tonight or tomorrow morning if I can wing it.  It'll take place towards the beginning of the Diamond Era under the reign of Toturi III.

Idariel

Quote from: Kirinis on September 22, 2011, 04:13:40 PM
Things are looking good, a definitive Interest thread will be put up either by the end of tonight or tomorrow morning if I can wing it.  It'll take place towards the beginning of the Diamond Era under the reign of Toturi III.

Oh yay! That is so wonderful. Thank you, Kirinis! <hugs>
"Visualize your dream

Kirinis

Wait until I post it first then hug me.  Yes. :)  Otherwise, I've a feeling you'll all be stabbing me after I get the game rolling.

kckolbe

A repost, but not answered.

Can shugenja begin with rank 2 spells in their affinity still?  Is calligraphy used to scribe scrolls, if so what is the DC for it?  Can a shugenja draw a scroll as a free action then cast it as a complex action?

Intro Thread

Kirinis

Hmm, after taking a quick look at the rules, I'll make the following rulings.

1) You may choose to begin with Rank 2 spells in your Affinity.  However, you can only cast spells with a Mastery that is less than or equal to your Insight Rank.

2) Spellcraft will be used for scribing scrolls, not calligraphy.  The kami are impressed with the content of the prayer on the scroll, not how prettily you wrote it.  The TN for scribing them will be Mastery Level x 10.

3) It is a free action to draw a scroll and then cast it as a complex action according to the rules so there is no conflict.  There will be no house-ruling for this one.

kckolbe

So an Asahina Shugenja could begin with a rank two scroll, but couldn't cast it until she was rank two as well.  Also, are scrolls consumed when they are used?  Also, I think I am going to go with the Isawa Fire Shugenja.  His scroll-scribing will come in handy once we hit rank two.

Intro Thread

Kirinis

Nope, you keep the scrolls.  They're only there to remind the shugenja about the prayer needed to get those kami to carry out the spell.  Coincidentally, if you make your Spell Research TN to craft up a new spell to cast then you get a free scroll out of the research.

Remember though that each spell requires a separate scroll and packing away a scroll into your scroll satchel is a simple action.

kckolbe

Oh, so we don't have to scribe that many.  Hm, I guess I could play the Crab or the Isawa then.  Depends on what is needed.

Intro Thread

Pumpkin Seeds

Night of Memories: A Character History
Heaven cried around her.  Tears of the great sky above spilled down on the mortal world below.  Like a great mother showing her sadness for a wayward child the rain came slow at first.  All had smelled the water in the air and felt despair on the winds.  Above the Heaven shook with their thunder while below the tears rolled across sloped roofs.  A blessing some might call the grace of the Heaven, but for most this was but a burden while they ran about the palace grounds.  Daidoji Misaki watched with her own sadness while the sky cried for the men below its feet.  She too felt sadness for the people of this world and for the lives that could never be formed. 

Behind her a man that she did not know sat with other men she did not know.  Their words were ones she was trained to ignore and their actions were never meant to be known.  Long ago the Daidoji had learned to turn the other way and see only what must be seen.  Theirs was a life of devotion.  Were a samurai meant to serve than the Daidoji were first among them.  Misaki extended her yari forward so that the metal tip might catch a tear drop from the sky.  Glistening the drop rolled downward to mold itself into the weapon.  There was symbolism somewhere there, a deep thought of a tear drop joining an instrument of death.  Yet Misaki was not a poet though she had heard them speak enough.  Her eyes lifted from the tear drop to the night sky. 

She had been born a girl like any other.  The third daughter to a noble line of warriors and artisans.  In her blood ran the legends of the ancient Daidoji and the strength of her ancestors.  Coursing through each beat of her heart was the remnants of a people sworn to defend and protect the power of the mighty Crane Clan.  The mortal descendent of those sworn to defend what Lady Doji had left behind so many centuries ago.  Yet to her young eyes this meant only a parade of artisans and beauty to absorb.  A childhood of wonders as poets painted mystical wonders and dancers crafted ethereal beauty from the very air.  Daidoji Nuboro was her father and he allowed his daughter the fantasies of youth so that she would truly know what she might give her life to protect.

With his final breath Daidoji Nuboro believed that the Crane Clan held the great civilization of Rokugan together.  He believed with every fiber of his body that without such art and beauty then the common man stood no better than the animals around him.  Through such conviction he sought to send each of his children forward to defend the jewels of the Empire.  Misaki would be no exception and he encouraged her wonderment as he sent her forward to witness this world.  Slowly he showed her the strength that lay hidden behind the silken drapes as each event was guarded by the proud family she called her own.  Brothers and sisters all stood with the tattoo of the mighty  Daidoji on their wrists at every event.  No courtier traveled without their escort and no entertainer of import performed without their consent.  Misaki saw the hidden world of the yojimbo and knew this place was for her. 

So innocent then she mused.  Part of her wondered over the crafty mind of her father as he convinced each of his children to pursue the life he lead.  Despite the scars that were etched into his arms, the pain he felt in his legs each time the weather turned cold and the hurt in his eyes from fallen brothers; he had each of his children see only glory and honor.  Through beauty and culture he had them convinced the world would be a better place for them all.  Misaki had believed as he did once, believed with her heart that this world would touch the Heavens if only eyes would open to see the pristine tranquility of a simple poem or dance.  Such hopes were dashed now, taken from her by the very ideals she had sworn to defend.  Still, without her father’s words she would never have meet the man she gave everything for and then she would only be another soldier.

Kakita Yasu was his name.  Never would a name be so beautiful in her life nor words taste so sweet on her tongue.  A man of elegance with an artisan’s heart was how she described him to herself each night.  She saw him practice each day in the gardens outside of her school.  Watched him meditate over the secrets of the sword while she drilled endlessly with a wooden stick.  He was young then, but not so young that she could not see past the boy and into the man he would become.  Not so young that she could not fall in love with him.  Many months would pass while she watched him from afar, never knowing even his name.  When finally their meeting came to pass, each knew that their lives would forever be entwined.

Eyes stared out over the darkened night of the courtyard.  Above her the tears fell as they became anguished by the ignorance and crimes of a world run horrible wrong.  Mortal hands had wrought pain and suffering on the creation of the kami.  Mortal hands were to blame for the ills of this world.  So above the sky quaked with thunder and split with lightening.  Flashes of ancient power streaked across the sky to thunderous applause from above.  Somewhere flames danced from a fallen tree.  People cried out to rush forward with their buckets and bodies.  Misake remained still as her patron kept inside the paper screens of the palace.  There was no point in worrying over danger that had yet to come.  Lightening split the sky yet again and her mind turned to the darker corners of her memory.

For all his beauty, Kakita Yasu befriended one man above all others.  A warrior that towered above all others and whose strength seemed to know limitless bounds.  He was said to have completed his gempukku as his ancestors intended, with an oni head at his side.  Hida Torou was a fearsome man who had ventured to the interior in order to show the power of his brethren and put on display their prowess.  Yasu and Torou held nothing in common except for the love of battle, the love of art in warfare.  Yet their love was enough to form a bridge of friendship.  Bonds tighter than steel formed between the pair as they adventured across Rokugan.  Neither would let the other fall and so in blood they were baptized brothers.  Misaki loved the man for defending Yasu.

Yasu and Torou gained glory in their travels.  Often they would come to the village of their start, Yasu to see his family and Torou to enjoy the hospitality of Crane houses.  Both would stop to see the girl that had become their little sister.  Each year Misaki grew more bold in her admiration of Yasu and Torou, each year her body became harder to resist.  This happened until the time of her gempukku when the pair arrived to join in the celebration.  Yasu was meet with a stunning woman at her prime, a creature that knew the desire she invoked and held her own wants.  That moment etched itself into her mind, lovingly held in a place where only dreams are remembered. 

Even now Misaki remembered that moment with a fondness.  Eyes hardened by years of training and bloodshed softened to those of a girl in love.  Perhaps such a shift in her visage was what brought the blade from the shadow.  Or maybe this was simply the time.  Lightning flashed once more to reflect the eyes of a love sick girl beneath the fierce helmet she wore.  Drowned in memories or no, she was a warrior of iron.  Already her body moved while the blade came for her.  The lithe body shifted forward so that plates of armor were all the knife could find.  Then the owner of such an attack would find the butt of her spear soon to be followed by the tip.  Her voice called out and more steel soon came.  Misaki took her stance and prepared her soul for the death that might come.  Behind her an unknown man shook in fear and she stood in his defense.

Peasants came for her.  Rabble with knives picked up from kitchens and spears fashioned from farming tools.  Somewhere amidst the grouping she knew a ronin lead them.  A sword had flashed in the mix.  A man without honor lead them but he was still samurai, even if a fallen one.  He would be their heart and so he would fall at her hand.  The Daidoji were nothing if not direct.  That point driven home with a thrust of her spear into the chest of a man that rushed forward for her.  Another peasant fallen to her side.  Misaki knew the reason for the assault, knew well that grain taxes were up again this year.  Soldiers were starving and people would rather farmer starve than soldiers when war loomed nearby.  Her job was not to question though, easier that way. 

If only she had listened to such advice before…

Her marriage was spoken of in many courts that she would never visit.  A marvelous affair that was filled with stories of love and destiny.  Poets of the white winged Crane lavished fanciful embellishments on the wedding while dancers swirled their silken hands.  Culinary artists marked the event with fanciful foods while artists of the martial disciplines showed their prowess for entertainment.  The Heavens gave their blessing with sun and cool winds.  So much blessing and thanks to be given.  Daidoji Misaki was told so often that she was a lucky girl to find the man of her heart and duty.  At the edge of the crowd with no smile on his lips loomed Kakita Yasu, the man she wished was her husband this day.

Instead another man took her to his bed that night.  Hida Torou had claimed her for his own.  An alliance was proposed, accepted and forged across her body in short order.  The favor she had shown him as a girl was taken as a token of love.  Love between the Daidoji and Hida, the unlikely alliance that lasted centuries.  The tears she shed in sadness were seen as ones of joy, even in the chamber of their wedding.  Plied with liquor she ensured that he would not notice her lack of chastity.  Misaki knew that no amount of liquor would hide the swelling of her belly so early in their marriage.  Hida Torou was a proud man, a powerful man of stout conviction and violent temperament.  He was a warrior breed true through the ages.  He would not tolerate such an insult.  Both Misaki and Yasu’s lives hung in the balance.

The Daidoji have their tricks.  Their hands are not so clean as others might believe as they trudge through the dark corners of the world to protect their charges.  Misaki knew people of ill repute, of questionable honor that would give her the resources to finish her problem.  Poison, subtle and slight, was left in the tea of her husband.  A toxin so slight and simple that he tasted nothing and noticed less until he marched to battle with her hand over his morning drink.  Hida Torou died a warrior’s death one day, leaving behind a pregnant widow.  He was buried with honor and the grieving widow was given the quiet respect of the Crab, who knew of loss all too well.

The arrow in her shoulder was slowing her now.  Pain lanced through her body while the blood grew slick beneath her feet.  At her side her charge stood now, shouting for the violence to stop.  He shouted for peace while she gave them only war.  Let him believe that somehow he could still their hands while she ceased the beating of their hearts.  There was no helping some people after all.  Her foot collided with a peasant who called himself a ronin.  The stolen sword skittered across the mud before his blood joined the tears of Heaven that soaked the earth.  Hands gripped the shaft of her spear, her weight born down on the weapon in a moment of weakness.  The battle had gone on for some time now as peasants joined the fray.  Guards were slow in coming, something had happened to block their approach. 

Misaki was alone.  She had been alone for some time now.

The babe at her breast is all that held back of the rage of the man who had been her lover.  White hair flashed in the darkness of the room while against her chest their baby feed.  Misaki could do nothing for him now nor would he have allowed her to even touch him.  He had said so.  He had said many things since she spoke the truth.  Somewhere she believed he knew that her actions were done for their own safety.  Torou would have killed them both, shamed their families and sought compensation from the Crane.  Yasu did not wish to hear such truth.  He wanted only to believe his friend died in battle and his love bore his best friend’s child.

Illusions and half-truths were never enough.  Misaki had wanted to show him their son.  Wanted him to see what a beautiful child they had made together.  All Yasu saw was a reminder of his failure and his part in the death of his friend.  With shame in his heart and disgust in his eyes he turned away.

“I will take his place on the wall.”  The solemn words were like a knife in her soul.

“And what shall I do?  What will we do without you Yasu!?”  Anguished carried her words further than she would have wanted.

“Pray that our son becomes a proud warrior of the Crab and that you may one day find your honor again.  If I see you again though, you will die at my hand.”

Misaki stared at the death that was to be hers.  Eyes glazed over with the knowledge that she would die before her charge.  That would be enough honor to absolve her son of her crimes.  The spear tip leveled off as the peasants made their rush.  Misaki stood her ground with arrows in her body and blood spilling to the muddy earth below.  After Yasu left she had returned to her homeland.  The mantle of Daidoji was taken up by her own hand, but her husband’s family had no objections.  She mourned for her son they thought, though in truth she mourned for the love she lost.  Somewhere in the land of the Hida her son was sleeping now.  A hand was caressing his cheek that was not her own.  Someone looked down on him with pride for he was a beautiful child.  That someone was not her.  Anger filled her lungs as she gave a cry of defiance for the life she had been given.

Death would not bless her tonight.

LightNight

Name: Hida Yuuji
Clan: Crab Clan.
School: Hida bushi school
Height: 6’3”
Weight: 210
Build:
Description:

Honor: 3.5

Air: 2
Reflexes: 2
Awareness: 2
Earth: 3
Stamina: 3
Willpower: 3
Fire: 2
Agility: 2
Intelligence: 2
Water: 2
Strength: 3
Perception: 2
Void: 2

Skills:
Athletics: 2
Defense: 4
Heavy Weapons (Tetsubo): 4
Intimidation: 1
Kenjutsu: 2
Lore: Shadowlands: 1
Battle: 4

Advantage:
(3) Large
(4) Tactician

Disadvantage:
(3) Obtuse
(3) Lost Love
(3) Disbeliever

Outfit: Heavy Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Ono, Traveling Pack,
1 koku, Small Tent, finger of jade,

TECHNIQUES:

THE WAY OF THE CRAB
The Hida bushi is the epitome of ‘heavy infantry,’ able to endure
harsh blows and deliver crushing attacks in return. You
may ignore TN penalties for wearing heavy armor for all skills
except Stealth. When using a Heavy Weapon, you gain a bonus
of +1k0 to the total of all damage rolls.

Defense: 15 (25 with armor) D.R.: 5

Weapons:

Ono
A.R.: 6k2
Damage: 5k4

Katana
A.R.: 4k2
Damage: 6k2

Wakizashi
A.R.: 4k2
Damage: 5k2
Range: 20’

(will need to make some small changes but that mostly it as well have to add some more later.)

kckolbe

So, if you can't cast spells higher than insight rank, does that mean that you can cast spells you are deficient in of the same rank, but just at a penalty of -1k0 (which ends up being 1k1 in most cases)?

Intro Thread

Kirinis

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Kirinis

Idariel

Kirinis, I'll reformat and submit my character after I sleeeeep!
<grin> do I get to hug you yet???

"Visualize your dream

Altair1983

Wheresmycow

Holy crap I missed this thread.  Did I commit a faux pas posting my character idea in the other thread first?
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Kirinis