Black Crusade: We Hunger (Interest Check)

Started by ShadowFox89, June 12, 2014, 09:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 16, 2014, 06:06:55 PM
Pretty much this (with alignment check after full XP is spent).

What way are you wanting to do things?

Core build or advanced?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

ShadowFox89

Sorry, should have scalpel'd the quote better. Non-core Archetypes are allowed, with the rules that are in the quote. Gonna go eat dinner and I'll update the main post when I get back.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

HairyHeretic

Cool. I need to turn in now, but I'll get a read over the updates and get to work on a character tomorrow evening.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cataclysmic Archangel

Hey.  I've mentioned it before, I'm kind of interested in this... I grabbed all the BC books, so theoretically I could make a character, and I'm well versed in 40k enoough to know the game, but I've never played BC before... If you're ok with it, I'll probably make a Thousand Son, as they're my go-tos... or maybe I have an idea for something else even crazier that I might not share with the class just yet.  Something all kinds of crazy.

Dibs on the fallen sister! *cackles*

I can understand if the group would rather not have the newb, so I won't take offense.

Warlock

Quote from: Arcannyx on June 16, 2014, 06:58:18 PM
Hey.  I've mentioned it before, I'm kind of interested in this... I grabbed all the BC books, so theoretically I could make a character, and I'm well versed in 40k enoough to know the game, but I've never played BC before... If you're ok with it, I'll probably make a Thousand Son, as they're my go-tos... or maybe I have an idea for something else even crazier that I might not share with the class just yet.  Something all kinds of crazy.

Dibs on the fallen sister! *cackles*

I can understand if the group would rather not have the newb, so I won't take offense.

If you've played any of the previous in the series (Only War, Death Watch, Rouge Trader, Dark Heresy) or Warhammer Fantasy 1st or 2nd edition you really should have no problem to wrap your head around the rules. Even if you haven't they're easy enough to learn from scratch, with skills and talents mostly adding static modifiers or allowing rerolls. You'll be up too speed in no time. Roll those d100s and prepare thyself to take arms against the Golden Toilet...uhh...Throne.

Soritas are much too fiesty and keep their hands much too close to Flamethrowers for my liking.

ShadowFox89

Black Crusade is different from the older games in how character advancement/building works, skills are different, and talents are changed a bit though.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Mhmm, so torn on what to make. Most of my stock ideas overlap with the others!  :o

ShadowFox89

Make what you want and don't worry about what others make. Though, I will say, I'm always partial to psykers and/or sharpshooters.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Cataclysmic Archangel

Alright, I'll spend the next day or two figuring out a character.  Good chance I'll go with a Thousand Son sorcerer, since I found the Tome of Fate book also.

Terian

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 16, 2014, 08:29:38 PM
Make what you want and don't worry about what others make. Though, I will say, I'm always partial to psykers and/or sharpshooters.

So, does the increased starting level mean I can pull shenanagans to increase the rarity of my starting Acquisitions?

ShadowFox89

You can increase Infamy I believe, but I will have to double check.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Terian on June 16, 2014, 09:14:21 PMSo, does the increased starting level mean I can pull shenanagans to increase the rarity of my starting Acquisitions?
For what its worth:

I support the notion of being able to fiddle with our starting acquisitions alittle, like burning one to improve another. Adv Archtypes get stuff (like force weapons) that there is flat out no way for a core archtype to get with -20 capped acquisitions. Allowing us to give up a item to improve a different one seems reasonable.

However, in your particular case, i dont think you should be allowed to start with Terminator Armour. Hell, i dont think it should be possible to Acquire terminator armour period. If you want it, you should have to earn it, either complete some insane task for a senior Heretek (like Onuris or the Exopectre), or tear a suit from the broken body of your rival. Similar thoughts on Daemon Weapons with listed rarity ratings.

I know its cool, and hell, half my character concepts for Black Cruade want a suit. But it when it comes to items of such renown, i would strongly suggest you temper your desire with the knowledge of how much more fun youll have knowing you earned that armour. With things like this, you have to strike a careful balance between getting cool things and leaving room for your character to grow.

You might also consider the fact that Terminator armour is extremely limited in the weapons it can use, for Heavy Weapons your options are a heavy flamer or reaper, nothing else works with a termie suit. To say nothing of the fact that it basically wipes your ability to Dodge. Finally... and this is mostly personal, and may or may not apply to you (i obviously havnt seen your character, heavy weapons certainly seems in theme, but i wanna say this anyway while im having a rant XD) , but ive seen everyone from dervishes to bookworms lusting after terminator armour for its defensive properties.... but Terminator Armour isnt just a item... its a ideal, a image, and some characters simply dont suit it. Merely wanting a high AP is far away from enough justification for such a relic.

If your looking to protect yourself as a heavy weapons spec, i would offer that you should cast your eyes on force fields, such as Power or Conversion Fields, and become a walking bastion. Keep a decent agi/dodge for backup and grab a normal power armour suit for defense. Its how i generally do it. A Refactor is even within the reach of normal acquisitions, you could get one now and then trade up later. Assuming shadow approves it, save your burned>improved acquisition for the gun its self, or dont burn one, and get a refractor, light power, and a gun you can reach normally.

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 16, 2014, 09:19:58 PM
You can increase Infamy I believe, but I will have to double check.
Starting acquisitions are capped at -20 (very rare, or equivalent), you get one for every point of InfBonus, no roll, so buffedCore/Adv archtypes get two or three.

(point of clarification: its actually capped at -10, but you get +10 for only getting a single item, so its effectively -20 unless you want a brace of grenades or something)

ShadowFox89

@Terminator Armor- Yeah, the only way you'll even SEE this is from an NPC wearing it. Or in pieces.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Terian

Ugh, my cute heavy weapons girl in super heavy armor has gone up in smoke :(

ShadowFox89

You can try to get light power armor for a human, and of course CSM begin with regular power armor. But terminator armor and especially obsidian armor isn't going to be acquirable at character generation. That's the sort of gear that requires some hard work (and lucky rolls) to get.

I mean, I'm already statting out the marine you'd have to fight to get such armor....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Terian

Cataclysmic Archangel

So I'm working on my character sheet, and making some progress... and I see where I get my starting gear as a CSM, and then as a TS Sorcerer (as that's how I'm going).  I'm pretty much going step by step at this point, and I think I'm almost done... How does one get their gear and stuff?  I'll probably find it in the book, but since the conversation has already gone that way....

EDIT:  Ok, I'm finding those things.  I guess a better question becomes, how do we handle things like rolling the armor qualities, or if we want to try and find more esoteric stuff to start off with?  Or is that the kind of thing we can just get away with, within reason (*shoves Termie armor in the closet*)

Warlock

Thought I'd get my own character out there, at least the crunchy parts. Unsure about the Inferno Pistols, but it would be extremly cool to be able to use them in combat.

Heretek Stats
Archetype: Heretek

Traits: The Quick and the Dead, Mechanicus Implants, Mark of Tzeentch, Psyker, Unnatural Willpower (1), Machine (x1,+10 All awarness tests)

Skills: Awarness, Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed, Adeptus Mechanicus, Tech), Decieve, Dodge, Forbidden Lore (Archeotech, Inquisition, Heresy, Psyker), Linguistics (Low Gothic, Techna-Lingua), Logic, Operate (Aeronautica), Scholastic Lore (Chymestry), Scrutiny, Security, Tech-Use +10, Trade (Armorer)     

Talents: Ambidextrous, Blind Fighting, Cold Hearted, Crack Shot, Deadeye Shot, Die Hard, Enemy (Adeptus Mechanicus), Gunslinger,  Hip Shooting, Mechdrite Training (Utility), Meditation, Psy Rating (x1), Technical Knock, Two Weapon Wielder (Balistic), Unremarkable, Weapon-Tech, Weapon Training (Las, Primary, Shock, Plasma, Melta)

Stat Allocation 100/100
Ws: 25-3 (Crafmanship)=22
Bs: 25-3 (Crafmanship)+28=50
S: 25-3 (Arcane)+8=30
T: 25+25=50
Ag: 25+3 (Craftmansip)+12=40
Per: 25+7=32
Int: 25+5 (Heretek)+3 (Craftmanship)+2 (Arcane)+20=55
Will: 25+5 (Advancement)=30
Fel: 25=25
Inf: 33

Corruption: 24

Special:
Traitor to Mars

Gear:
Best-Craftsmanship Lascarbine
Common-Craftsmanship Power Axe
Light Carapace Armour
Unholy unguents
Combi-tool
Dataslate
Jump Pack
Noxious Gas Inferno Pistol
Noxious Gas Inferno Pistol

Cybernetics
Utility Mechandendrite
Lumenin Capacitators
Good Craftmanship Mind Impulse Unit
Good Craftmanship Embeded Auspex

Rolls:
12+1d5 Wounds=15
29+1d5 Infamy=33
10 Corruption: Reward of Tzeentch (+0): 66->Gift of the Gods: 67+3(Inf)=70 (Mechanoid)
20 Corruption: Reward of Tzeentch (+0): 82->Gift of the Gods: 47-3(Inf)=44 (Illusion of Normality)

Character:
Pride: Craftmanship
Disgrace: Betrayal
Motivation: Arcane

Advancement:
4600/4600
Willpower +5 250xp (Tzeentch)
Operate (Aeronautica) 200xp (Unaligned)
Blind Fighting 250xp (Tzeentch)
Forbiddden Lore (Heresy) 200xp (Tzeentch)
Security 200xp (Unaligned)
Scrutiny 200xp (Tzeentch)
Linguistics (Techna-Lingua) 200xp (Unaligned)
Forbidden Lore (Psyker) 200xp (Tzeentch)
Ambidextrous 250xp (Unaligned)
Two Weapon Wielder (Balistic) 500xp (Unaligned)
Gunslinger 750xp (Unaligned)
Hip Shooting 500xp (Unaligned)
Deadeye Shot 250xp (Tzeentch)
Decieve 200xp (Slannesh)
Awarness 200xp (Unaligned)
Weapon Training (Melta) 250xp (Unaligned)

Khorne: 0
Nurgle: 0
Slannesh: 1
Tzeentch: 6

Accquistions:
Jump Pack
Noxious Discharge Inferno Pistol
Noxious Discharge Inferno Pistol

Notes:
Would it be possible to exchange the Light Carpace for a Mesh Cloak?

Terian

Completed Character Sheet, backstory below

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: Stella Ferrian

Archetype: Renegade

Traits: The Quick and the Dead (+2 to Init)

Skills: Linguistics (Low Gothic)(Int),  Common Lore (Screaming Vortex, Koronus Expanse, War)(Int), Trade (Armourer)(Int), Athletics (Str), Awareness (Per), Dodge+10 (Ag), Parry (WS), Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis)(Int), Operate (Aeronautica)(Ag), Command (Fel), Survival (Int), Tech-Use (Int)

Talents: Jaded, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Weapon Training (Chain, Las, Primary, SP, Bolt), Heavy Weapon Training (SP), Combat Sense, Marksman, Takedown, Hip Shooting, Armour-Monger, Storm of Iron, Step Aside, Mighty Shot

Stat Allocation 100/100
Ws: 25+10+5 (Martial Prowess)=40
Bs: 25+3 (Archetype)+17+5 (Advance)=50
S: 25+5=30
T: 25+15+10(Advance)=50
Ag: 25+15=40
Per: 25+8+5(Dread)-5(Vengeance)=32
Int: 25+10-5(Martial Prowess)=35
Will: 25+10-5(Dread)+10(Advance)=40
Fel: 25+10=35
Inf: 31

Corruption: 15

Special:
Adroit (+1 DoS on Ballistic Skill Tests)

Gear:
Good-Craftsmanship Boltgun
Common-Craftsmanship Bolt Pistol
Best-Craftsmanship Chainsword
Carapace Armour
Medikit
Dataslate

Cybernetics
None

Rolls:
12+1d5 Wounds=17
29+1d5 Infamy=31
10 Corruption:Gift of the Gods: 1/48.  Infernal Will

Character:
Pride: Martial Prowess
Disgrace: Dread
Motivation: Vengeance

Advancement:
4500/4600

+5 Ballistic Skill (250)
+5 WP (250)
+5 WP (500)
+5 Intelligence (250)
+5 Toughness (250)
+5 Toughness (500)
Armour-Monger (500)
Storm of Iron (500)
Mighty Shot (750)
Step Aside (750)

Khorne: 1
Nurgle: 3
Slaanesh: 1
Tzeentch: 2

Accquistions:
M-34 Autocannon
--Suspensor Upgrade
Light Power Armour
--Careful Maintenence, all 5 base powers intact

Notes:

Stella Ferrian is the Last of the Ferrian Dynasty, rulers of a small, technologically advanced nation in the depths of space, well off the beaten track, and isolated from much of the galaxy.  It was a good life, all things considered, right up until an Explorator fleet found them, lead by a hidebound Magos, and announced that they would be annexed and properly "Guided back onto the Omnissiah's Path".  When the refusal came along, they proceeded to call in favors from the Imperium, and a great campaign was launched.

It's difficult to stand up to ten times your numbers after all.

Stella signed on with the defense forces, but despite her skill at arms, there was a limited number of places she could be at once, and ammunition grew increasingly rare as the tides of Imperial Guard continued to swarm.  It was to nobody's surprise by the end that the Imperium came out ahead, and she was shuttled with some of the rare survivors in an untargetted Warp Transit in hopes of escaping.

It didn't go so well, with many of the survivors coming to a band end when the ship eventually made contact with the Vortex, the defenses reduced, and by the time she was discovered, her vessel was hulked, and while her own gear remained in good repair, the last few vestiges of her home were gone.

Since then, she's served as something of a mercenary for the various warlords and entities throughout the Vortex.  She doesn't pay homage to any particular God of Chaos, nor does she typically indulge in the more profane preferences of the locals, but she's still managed to make a reputation for herself in a place where only strength matters.  Having the cool head and sheer lack of fear that only someone who's been through every disaster imaginable possesses helps.

HairyHeretic

I'm a little fuzzy on something. I'm going to build my character as a Night Lords Forsaken.

Do I start with the base CSM, then add the Forsaken, then add the Night Lord advanced archtype on top of that, getting the skills and talents listed for each? Or does the Night Lord archtype replace one of the others.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cataclysmic Archangel

From what I can tell (and I'm the new guy) you start with a CSM race, and then strap on the Night Lord.  Think of them all like classes... Forsaken is a class, Night Lord SM is a class.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 17, 2014, 06:29:39 PM
I'm a little fuzzy on something. I'm going to build my character as a Night Lords Forsaken.

Do I start with the base CSM, then add the Forsaken, then add the Night Lord advanced archtype on top of that, getting the skills and talents listed for each? Or does the Night Lord archtype replace one of the others.

You take Chaos Space Marine as your base race then add Night Lord as your archetype.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

HairyHeretic

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 17, 2014, 06:39:18 PM
You take Chaos Space Marine as your base race then add Night Lord as your archetype.

Cool, I was getting a bit confused there. I blame lack of sleep / caffeine :)

I should have a character draft tomorrow evening.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

^ This. Race>Archetype. Black Crusade doesnt have classes/careers/ranks, so there is nothing further to 'strap on'. Adv Archtypes are built with more exp than core archtypes and have improved gear and special abilities. Conversely, they are built to 'theme' and arnt necessarily designed to have made efficient use of their EXP.

You either get a core archtype with the additional exp we mentioned, or your get a advanced archtype and no exp to spend at chargen.

you dont have to use the Nightlord Archetype to play one though. If you favour Forsaken, you can make one of those and just fluff him has a NL, you loose out on the special ability though.
*edit
Argh, ninjad

Also, im making a psyker, probably nurgle or slannesh

Cataclysmic Archangel

Hmm.  Maybe I should go a different direction, if we already have a few psykers?