Looking to get into a 3.5 Eberron game [UN]

Started by Kunoichi, November 11, 2009, 12:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Ixy on November 16, 2009, 11:25:43 PM
aaaalright... I have a very rough draft of a Halfling Barbarian.  Without many texts, it's difficult to proceed with confidence, so thank you for your patience.  I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

1) Are Bloodstrikers too big for a halfling to use as a mount?  Would you prefer/recommend a clawfoot or some such?
2) Do the same formulas from the 3.5 players' guide/SRD apply to monetary cost of enhanced magical properties on Eberron-based items?
3) How hung up are we on Charisma's relation to Appearance again?  I know you mentioned it, I just wanted to clarify.  It's fantasy, damnit, and I want to play something shmexy.

1. Bloodstrikers aren't a traditional mount for Talenta halflings, so you'll probobly have to blow a feat on being familiar with riding one. 

2. Magical items cost the same in Eberron.  With the ritual magic system making it incredibly easy to cast magecraft I'm willing to not count the cost of mastercraft weapons and armor in magical equipment.  You can also have mastercraft items for an additional 50gp, since they're so easy to make.

3. Charisma has NO correlation with physical appearance.  Charisma simply influences how good a character is at speaking and interacting with others.  An uncharismatic but attractive character might not be able to capitalize on his or her looks (he or she might wear clothes that either hide assets or show way too much skin without actually being sexy, for example.)  but could still be totally smoking hot.  In summary, a not so attractive but charismatic character usually comes off as sexier than an uncharismatic bombshell, but even a charisma 3 person can be absolutely perfect appearance wise.  (of course, he or she would probobly be drooling, moody, smelly, and unbelievably unpleasant)  I'm sure you know someone in real life who's really attractive but not good at being sexy.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Ixy

I sure hope this game is still on. 

I'll beg... would begging help?

*edit*
The reason I say this is because I've borrowed 2 books on Eberron and, ok, it's overwhelming as hell, but I'd really love to play it with a good group.  Some of you guys I do not know in even the slightest regard... but The Great Triangle seems exceptionally competent as a DM, and I know Tarrasque, Kunoichi (even though you're not certain about E6), and Phantom can roleplay well. 

Now, I'm not exactly god's gift to rp, and some people hate my "dramatic punctuation bullshit", but-- fuck, have you SEEN some of the stuff that passes for roleplay in a D&D game?   Three-line dribbles of disjointed text with the coherence of the translated text from Zero Wing?  If some of the people who've expressed interest are, as I said, STILL interested, then we could have a great game on our hands.  If a couple have dropped, we could recruit a couple more.

Any chance?  Like I said, I know I'll require some mechanical wrist-slapping or subtle kicks-in-the-ass for not knowing canonical Eberron, but I'm willing to give this one some real time.

PhantomPistoleer

I've decided to instead play a fighter named the Prince of Orphans, I am going to play a journalist Factorum. :D
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PhantomPistoleer

Oh!  And I won't be around until Monday. :o
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Katina Tarask

Been a bit busy.  And I'm still trying to decide what I really want to play.

What exactly do we have so far?  Factotum, Barbarian.  Did Kunoichi come to any sort of decision?

Kunoichi

...I'm not playing. ^^; I was just helping people work out character concepts...

Katina Tarask

Oh.

Who's even in this game, then?  Just three people?  'Cuz if so, it may be a good idea to start with a closer-knit group.

TheGlyphstone

I'm still here, but I've been real busy lately so my sheet's only about half complete.

Katina Tarask

TheGlyphstone

A Warforged Warlock with invocations refluffed as mechanical modules.

The Great Triangle

I'm perfectly around to run the game, though I haven't been poking people to get it going just yet.  Please post a character in the character section if you'd like to play.  (or at least post into the OOC of the game so I can know to poke you if it comes to that.

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

I can't remember the last time I played a Cleric, so I'm gonna go with that.

If my Cleric's devoted to the Sovereign Host as a whole, does that mean I can pick from any of the collective deities' domains?

I'm also considering Cloistered Cleric, if there are no objections.

Kunoichi

If your Cleric's devoted to the host as a whole, then yes, you can pick from any of the collective deities' domains.  Or, that's the default rules, anyway. ^^;  As I recall, there's a Sovereign Host Cleric prestige class that lets you get even more domains from the pantheon, as well...

The Great Triangle

You can be a cleric of the entire pantheon.  The Gods of the Sovereign Host actually encourage this (or at least the community of faith in the religion does, to promote harmony between the followers of different gods)  You can freely pick any domain within the host, and if you're a soverign speaker, you can pick up to 5 additional domains with feats later on.  (one at level 6, one with class training, one with prestige training, one with capstone training, and one with ultimate mastery)

Of course, you only get one extra 3rd level domain spell per day from your prestige training, so you win some and you lose some.  Sovereign Host clerics are strongly opposed to followers of the Blood of Vol, but not as much as clerics of the Silver Flame.  They also tend to distrust clerics of the Dragon Above and of course the cults of the Dragon Below.  Priests of Eberron (druids) are generally considered dangerous scum by followers of the host, though druids of good alignment get a pass.  Obviously, followers of the Dark Six may very well be worth summary execution.

If you play as a cloistered cleric, you won't gain any additional spells on your list of spells, but you can freely take one additional domain (instead of the knowledge domain) and all spells on your domain spell list count as being on your cleric spell list.

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

Bien, bien.

I may use prestige training to grab some extra domains through Sovereign Speaker later, but for now, all my feats are spoken for.  Metaphysical Spellshaper and Persistent Spell coming together for such fun toys as persistent Lesser Vigor (though I have to eat a painful six points of ability damage somewhere to do it).

Preliminary sheet (work in progress)

The Great Triangle

Yay!  An actually annotated character sheet!  I wants to hug and kisses it. 

;D

Ons and Offs

Katina Tarask

Well... you did say to annotate. ^^U

By the way, am I allowed to apply metamagic on spontaneously converted spells (with the standard casting time boost)?  Like, use my spontaneous healing to convert a cantrip to a transmitting kiss CLW.

The Great Triangle

You're allowed.  :-) 

Asking people to annotate is actually just so I can deny any character sheet I like.  Nobody actually fully annotates their, so I can simply reject a character sheet on the basis of not being annotated.  (It doen's particularly look like I'll need to make a lot of rulings in your case though, since what you're going for is fairly modest.  It's the somewhat wacky ability doom combos and methods of making a character that can literally do anything I'm more nervous about.)

Ons and Offs

TheGlyphstone

Here's me? Forgive my choice of character portrait, it was one of the first things that showed up when I browsed my picture archives for 'Robot'. :)

I think I caught everything that needed annotations, though it was easy since I built it entirely with Core, Complete Arcane and MMIII (my copy of MMIII can be Ctrl-F, my copy of the ECS can't). On the other hand, I basically had to annotate everything anyways, since without it you'd have no clue what any of my abilities were. :D

The only dispensation I'll need is taking Eldritch Cone and Eldritch Spear as a single Class Training feat, though I'm hoping you'll be fine with it since they meet the qualifier you required, when previously discussed, of being redundant with each other or one of my existing invocations, and giving me a short-range, medium range, and long-range application of my only weapon.

Ixy

Feedback is welcomed.  http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=168414.  I'm straying away from the halfling barbarian "just a bit" with this one 
When I get a little more time tonight, I will be writing description and backstory... I do have a somewhat plausible explanation for being so far out of Xen'Drik.

The Great Triangle

Looks good.  I don't see you applying the half giant racial template though.  (it's in the expanded psionics handbook, and will run you another +1 level adjustment, though you'll get more weapon damage from their abilities) 

As for why your character is out of Xen'drik, "hired as a mercenary" is a good explanation as any for your character's backstory. 

I'm not familiar with your character's patron diety.  Is it some strange Drow diety?

Ons and Offs

Kunoichi

Half-giant isn't a template, actually.  It's an entirely seperate race, originally from the Dark Sun campaign setting. ^^; The default explanation it has for being in Eberron is that it's a slave race created by the Inspired messing around with Giant stock.  With Riedra sending diplomats, ambassadors and shipments of various trade goods over to Khorvaire, though, there are a few that have escaped and are running around free, mostly in Stormreach, but seeing as Karrnath is relying on Riedran grain to keep its people fed, I'd imagine there are a few half-giants running around there, as well.

And yeah, Vulkoor is a deity worshipped by many of the Xen'drik Drow, though individual tribes tend to differ in how they worship him.

Ixy

Quote from: Kunoichi on November 23, 2009, 03:18:34 PM
Half-giant isn't a template, actually.  It's an entirely seperate race, originally from the Dark Sun campaign setting. ^^; The default explanation it has for being in Eberron is that it's a slave race created by the Inspired messing around with Giant stock.  With Riedra sending diplomats, ambassadors and shipments of various trade goods over to Khorvaire, though, there are a few that have escaped and are running around free, mostly in Stormreach, but seeing as Karrnath is relying on Riedran grain to keep its people fed, I'd imagine there are a few half-giants running around there, as well.

And yeah, Vulkoor is a deity worshipped by many of the Xen'drik Drow, though individual tribes tend to differ in how they worship him.

Yes and yes.  I opted to go with the more expensive +2 LA Drow race rather than half-giant.  I've been very indecisive... sorry ;)

The Eberron PHB states that most assume Vulkoor, the Drow's patron Scorpion deity as a substitute for Lolth, is actually a different aspect of The Mockery, but Shadows of Xen'Drik hints that, while this may be true, no one (mortal) is really certain.  I'd rather think that the nature of the deity is up for speculation, because I don't intend to play an evil character... if he is evil, she might be up for a very dangerous denomination change if she starts functioning in a generally "good" manner.

I think if I were to go with the half-giant barbarian idea, it would be a very different character, but I can still give that route a shot if you'd like to see a draft of that kind of character.  I realize that rangers are kind of 'nerfed' in 3.5, especially with 2 levels of rogue to dilute the progression down the fighting style.  But if kept as-is, I'd need to review my saves to make sure they're right, add an animal companion, and I'd be ready for a final draft.

Agreed regarding the 'mercenary' template, but she'll have to have some traumatic background event to justify separating from her family/tribe/clan, and I was thinking that some deep-delving uncovered a hotbed of magic dynamite that decimated their numbers and 'poofed' the survivors to the Boneyard in the Talenta Plains, where the rest were made playtoys for some nasty aberrations... only survivor, no family left to live for, she's now solo and carrying a BIG chip on her shoulder.

PhantomPistoleer

I posted this in the OOC Character Sheet thread, but, uh, there's really nothing happening over there.

So:

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on November 23, 2009, 10:12:28 AM
Okay...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=168213

I think I made my character correctly, but it might be a combo killer, as you sort of said (Factorum/Marshal).  I want him to be like the kid from Almost Famous, like a journalist wunderkind with a penchant for free-running.  So, um, he'd be like the kid from Almost Famous and the kid from City of God, meshed together, but a bit pushy, like Lois Lane, with a desire to a) provide a cover story and b) tell the truth, no matter what.

As you can see, my character is -not- a much-of-anything class, except that he's a skill monkey.  I imagine that he's covered a number of stories in the last two years (he started when he was 16), and acquired precious knowledge by spending a lot of time interviewing interesting people and researching stories in archives tucked away in dragonmarked houses.

Physically, he is something of an every man.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

The Great Triangle

If you'd like, you can apply the effects of both the drow and half giant races.  Actually, I'd prefer you did it that way, since I find it strange that you're a half giant with no mechanical differentiation from a drow. 

How devout is your charater?  The local temples of the Mockery would probobly accomidate your character's religious sensibilities, although temples to the Shadow might also work.  Given the Llolth esque nature of the religion, Blood of Vol might also appeal to your character.  If you'd rather not piss off the local preist of the soverigns, of course, you could always claim to worship one of the host.  (Probobly Dol Dorn, or whatever the Thor alike in the pantheon is.)

Ons and Offs