News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Magic: The Gathering (Discussion)

Started by Dimir, January 06, 2015, 07:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeklet

bloodrush on an infect creature would work, as it buffs the infect creature. Fling would not work, as fling deals the damage, not the creature with infect.

CountessJess

I thought modern effect was a deck that had been completely solved.

Nikolaus

Probably should have joined this topic way back when, but it's alright. I've been playing MTG for like...the passed 8 years or so but I've never done tournaments. I'm more of a casual player than anything. My favorite deck is my Red/Green/White centered around Aurelia, The Warleader. I have been trying to find a Gabriel Angelfire so that I could split it up and make a Green/White and Red/White Angel decks, but as of today, I still can't find one available and even if I could, that bitch is expensive. =(

CountessJess

Quote from: Nikolaus on February 14, 2015, 04:46:39 AM
Probably should have joined this topic way back when, but it's alright. I've been playing MTG for like...the passed 8 years or so but I've never done tournaments. I'm more of a casual player than anything. My favorite deck is my Red/Green/White centered around Aurelia, The Warleader. I have been trying to find a Gabriel Angelfire so that I could split it up and make a Green/White and Red/White Angel decks, but as of today, I still can't find one available and even if I could, that bitch is expensive. =(

Gabriel Angelfire looks decidedly subpar, imho. If you're looking for G/W angels, might I suggest Sigarda, Host of Herons instead? She'll probably be much easier to find than Gabriel in any case, having been printed recently, rather than twenty years ago =)

Dimir

Did anyone here ever have their own ideas for planes and/or cards (ones that are reasonable in power and ability). I was thinking that we could come up with cards and upload them to Cockatrice to use against ourselves.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Dimir

Thought I would post what happened tonight at Tuesday Night Magic with my modern mono black deck.

Match 1: Restoration Angel Deck. Opponent was a senior employee of the shop. Forced him down to 1 life in round one with the Gray Merchants and held him off for awhile thanks to Killing Wave. Round two his Restoration Angels overwhelmed me, plus I gave up Ob Nixilis to an attack at the wrong time, managed to get him down to 8 life.

Match 2: Red/White Burn. Got opponent into three matches. Constant Lighting Bolts and Boros Charms on the third match caused me to lose.

Match 3: Another employee of the shop automatically gave me the win so he could work on other things. That was the last match so I just left.

CountessJess

Dimir

Quote from: CountessJess on March 04, 2015, 08:52:22 PM

Thoughts on this spoiler?

In edh this will make you an absolute magnet, however if you can get this on the board with protection and counter spells, then you've won edh. Let's be thankful she doesn't have izzet colours.

Geeklet

It has the potential to be busted as hell, but since it can't protect itself, it might not see that much play.

Dimir

I'm more looking forward to getting the new Sidisi for mono-black edh.

CountessJess

Quote from: Dimir on March 04, 2015, 08:58:47 PM
In edh this will make you an absolute magnet, however if you can get this on the board with protection and counter spells, then you've won edh. Let's be thankful she doesn't have izzet colours.

Note that if you have Doubling Season on the board, you can drop her AND ult her on the same turn. So excited to slot her into my Bant enchantments deck asap.

Quote from: Dimir on March 04, 2015, 09:01:15 PM
I'm more looking forward to getting the new Sidisi for mono-black edh.

I'm not sold on Sidisi - Rune-scarred Demon does the same thing without the need to sacrifice an additional creature, which you might not always have to spare. Conversely, the two extra mana to cast Rune-scarred demon over Sidisi isn't a major problem in a format where games are long and mana pools are huge.

Dimir

Quote from: CountessJess on March 04, 2015, 09:05:15 PM
I'm not sold on Sidisi - Rune-scarred Demon does the same thing without the need to sacrifice an additional creature, which you might not always have to spare. Conversely, the two extra mana to cast Rune-scarred demon over Sidisi isn't a major problem in a format where games are long and mana pools are huge.

Good points. Rune Scarred is only on average around $5.50, I should look around for it.

Geeklet

Quote from: CountessJess on March 04, 2015, 09:05:15 PM

Rune-scarred demon isn't legendary though. Having a tutor on a commander, which can be recast if need be, scares me. Also, you dont need to sac an additional creature, you can just sac sidisi himself if need be.

CountessJess

Quote from: Geeklet on March 04, 2015, 09:00:37 PM
It has the potential to be busted as hell, but since it can't protect itself, it might not see that much play.

She starts with 6 (effectively 7 with the first activation) loyalty; if your opponent can do 7 damage to her in one turn without you having disrupted him prior or he having to throw an entire attack step and/or a bunch of damage spells at her, I think she's worth it.

Quote from: Geeklet on March 04, 2015, 09:25:32 PM
Rune-scarred demon isn't legendary though. Having a tutor on a commander, which can be recast if need be, scares me. Also, you dont need to sac an additional creature, you can just sac sidisi himself if need be.

Hmmm, you're right about saccing Sidisi, I hadn't considered that. That's pretty sweet.

Dice

Quote from: CountessJess on March 04, 2015, 08:52:22 PM

Thoughts on this spoiler?

I am planing to build her into a Vintage Mentor deck. Rebound on Timewalk and Recall is good, add on that the extra tokens. Should be quite fun.

Hemingway

So much awesome stuff has been spoiled and announced, I can't even wrap my head around it.

Battle for Zendikar? Flip Planeswalkers?

All that's missing now is a standard playable Alesha for Dragons, and this may be the most awesome year in Magic for as long as I've been playing.

Dice

The flip walkers add interesting elements because then cards like Cavern of Souls and Green Sun's Zenith will be able to interact with them. Also you can push the power because they are something you have to work to use. The joy of that is cards like Repeal and Abrupt Decay can hit them when they flip and this makes for some interesting back and forth.

Lili so far though I feel is weaker than her already strong Veil card so I do not know how much they will push the power even if they have given themselves the option to do so.

CountessJess

Quote from: Dice on March 08, 2015, 03:05:59 AM
The flip walkers add interesting elements because then cards like Cavern of Souls and Green Sun's Zenith will be able to interact with them. Also you can push the power because they are something you have to work to use. The joy of that is cards like Repeal and Abrupt Decay can hit them when they flip and this makes for some interesting back and forth.

Lili so far though I feel is weaker than her already strong Veil card so I do not know how much they will push the power even if they have given themselves the option to do so.

But...but you can take back the new Lili with Alesha! Or get her out with the new Collected Company!

Hemingway

I mainly like the idea of flip walkers for using them as Commanders. I also really like the flavor.

I'm not a huge fan of the core walkers, but this Liliana is looking sweet. Unless any of the others top her design, I'll be wanting a few.

Speaking of walkers, though: There's a special place in my heart for Gideon Jura - he was the first planeswalker I opened, in Gatecrash. And he's returning, apparently. Woo!

Dimir

I'm going to the Dragons Of Tarkir prerelease on the 20th, hope to enjoy myself there. Also once I get a Damnable Pact, it's going immediately into my mono-black edh deck.

Hemingway

I'm going as well. Prereleases are just about the only games I play that are not strictly casual games. I'm not very good at sealed, but it feels like more of an even playing field. Plus, I like being able to use those cards that don't really do well in standard, but deserve to see play.

Plus, I have ridiculous luck with my draws. I've never been to a prerelease that didn't net me a mythic. Eventually it'll fetch me a foil planeswalker, and I can retire. ;D

Dimir

Okay unless I find a very rare card on sale at a store, I think my Sheoldred EDH deck is now complete! Now to work on the Lazav deck.

Edit: I just formed a brilliant idea in edh deck construction. Buy the same type and colour of sleeves for different decks and simply take a card you have only one copy of and move it from deck to deck depending on what you'll be using. Anyone else do this?

Hemingway

Quote from: Dimir on March 18, 2015, 04:54:36 PM
Okay unless I find a very rare card on sale at a store, I think my Sheoldred EDH deck is now complete! Now to work on the Lazav deck.

Edit: I just formed a brilliant idea in edh deck construction. Buy the same type and colour of sleeves for different decks and simply take a card you have only one copy of and move it from deck to deck depending on what you'll be using. Anyone else do this?

I sure as hell wouldn't buy another Baneslayer if I decided I wanted to use it in multiple decks. ;D

As for Lazav deck ... ohh, I love Lazav. Lazav should be great in EDH. I never actually tried him, but .. honestly, I probably should. I mean, with all the great creatures people use, he's bound to turn into something awesome. With Hexproof as the absolute icing on the cake. Who wouldn't want a Hexproof ... I don't know, ANYTHING BIG?

Dimir

Quote from: Hemingway on March 18, 2015, 07:02:28 PM
I sure as hell wouldn't buy another Baneslayer if I decided I wanted to use it in multiple decks. ;D

As for Lazav deck ... ohh, I love Lazav. Lazav should be great in EDH. I never actually tried him, but .. honestly, I probably should. I mean, with all the great creatures people use, he's bound to turn into something awesome. With Hexproof as the absolute icing on the cake. Who wouldn't want a Hexproof ... I don't know, ANYTHING BIG?

I just need to get some more great Dimir cards and some more huge blue creatures, along with at least one Jace planeswalker. Yeah I want Hexproof legal Elzadri. Hopefully Modern Masters 2015 lowers the prices on some good support in May.

Dimir

Just wanted to mention that at the prerelease, I got a Narset in a booster. ^^ I now need to do a Jeskai or Azorius edh deck one day.