[Avatar: A New World] Modern-ish TLA / LoK inspired game; Team Avatar Journey

Started by Aethyrium, October 08, 2018, 04:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonDoom

Thanks for the detailed reply! Alright, regarding the industries, that makes a lot of sense -- I'm also curious how the existence of bending affects everyday life for the modern human in this world -- actually more so if it's more rare, since that means people would have to learn to adapt (or might be suffering from a lack of adaption if the decline is more recent). Is there a huge social cleft between benders and non-benders? It came up but sadly wasn't very well addressed in Korra's first season, but I could see increased rarity placing benders as a sort of social elite in some places, or as highly valued skilled workers basically guaranteed (and probably often groomed for) high paying jobs -- or the opposite, being forced into labor.

And I'm glad that you like the idea! I wasn't actually thinking of a full master, despite a more advanced age. Looking at the image, he could be anywhere from his mid-forties to early sixties even without accounting for martial arts genre shenanigans keeping him young beyond his years. I was thinking more on the younger side of that and still with room for improvement. To keep up with bending via martial arts without lacking too far behind, I do think that some comparatively greater skill is needed to make up for the lack of elemental firepower, but at late fourties/early fifties there's still some room to grow. Not as much as young prodigies, of course, but there's where a focus on spiritualism and helping others can come in, aye, but I wasn't thinking that he's on or past his potential zenith just yet.

The Chi blocking just strikes me as a discipline all of its own to build up to rather than something to branch out into, if putting it like that makes more sense?
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Vergil1989

Now see, I've always been kinda bothered by something.  Why couldn't a bender learn chi blocking?  They already are taught that their chi pathways regulate where their elemental power can go and how to manipulate it.  Zuko and his firebending as well as the lessons taught to lightning bend are a prime example of this, as are Katara's lessons in healing people.  I get that you need martial arts study to even have a shot at chi blocking, but EVERY bending art has at least some form of martial training mixed into it, although it's not anywhere near a dedicated martial artist of course.  My point being though, why need it be exclusive to someone without bending, that's all I'm asking?  :D
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

VonDoom

I wouldn't say they're not dedicated martial artists. They are dedicated martial artists, their bending style is just their discipline. Plus, all forms of bending are based on real martial art styles.

I can only answer for myself, but I'd say the techniques just don't match up with the tactics and styles used for bending -- most benders don't want to poke their fingers into their foes, they want to employ tactics based around their element. Sure, they might be able to learn, but that's time spent not mastering their own, often far more powerful weapon.

O&O

Aethyrium

Quote from: VonDoom on October 10, 2018, 01:50:59 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply! Alright, regarding the industries, that makes a lot of sense -- I'm also curious how the existence of bending affects everyday life for the modern human in this world -- actually more so if it's more rare, since that means people would have to learn to adapt (or might be suffering from a lack of adaption if the decline is more recent). Is there a huge social cleft between benders and non-benders? It came up but sadly wasn't very well addressed in Korra's first season, but I could see increased rarity placing benders as a sort of social elite in some places, or as highly valued skilled workers basically guaranteed (and probably often groomed for) high paying jobs -- or the opposite, being forced into labor.

And I'm glad that you like the idea! I wasn't actually thinking of a full master, despite a more advanced age. Looking at the image, he could be anywhere from his mid-forties to early sixties even without accounting for martial arts genre shenanigans keeping him young beyond his years. I was thinking more on the younger side of that and still with room for improvement. To keep up with bending via martial arts without lacking too far behind, I do think that some comparatively greater skill is needed to make up for the lack of elemental firepower, but at late fourties/early fifties there's still some room to grow. Not as much as young prodigies, of course, but there's where a focus on spiritualism and helping others can come in, aye, but I wasn't thinking that he's on or past his potential zenith just yet.

The Chi blocking just strikes me as a discipline all of its own to build up to rather than something to branch out into, if putting it like that makes more sense?
Bending makes life... Easier in a lot of circumstances, because people have "super powers", that are largely able to be freely utilized however the individual wants to. Certainly every nation has developed laws which govern those, and I'll likely details those a bit as we come to specific areas - I admit I haven't worked out the legal system of the every individual place in the world just yet. XD

But you are right that it does create some sort of social disparity. The roles of benders in society is one that affords them a lot of leeway. They're... Privileged, you could say. A bender probably doesn't need to worry about being able to find work - for there is specialized, required work for the nations that only benders can preform. The laws of the lands most likely tend to favor benders in a lot of cases, because they are a valuable resource and are potentially a terrible enemy to have. A group of unruly citizens throwing rocks at your police force is no big deal; a group of unruly citizens made up of people that can demolish your infrastructure is a potentially serious problem. Rights between benders and nonbenders is a thing I'd like to go into through the game, but we'll see how deep that runs.

I wouldn't say that it's horrifically noticeable. But it is definitely a thing that exists.

As for the age and general skill, that sounds reasonable to me. And I appreciate your thoughts on chi bending. I am very content with it being a path you don't go - we can explore a different more spiritual aspect in the case of that concept. :)

Vergil1989

Even without chi blocking, your guy could go full Iroh in that he can come and go from the Spirit World if he so desires once he gets strong enough in such matters.  Besides that, Iroh was a badass even without using his bending, and then there was Sokka's mentor during the last season of ATLA,  Point being, while chi blocking is pretty cool, it's hardly necessary is all I'm saying.  :D
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Aethyrium

Chae Won played be CurvyKitten has been selected as our Firebender.

Still taking those last few submissions. Don't be afraid to jump in.

VonDoom

I fear I may be unable to get my character done in time - work is insanely busy today with everyone else either away or sick and I won't be able to get much if any writing done in the evening.

Tomorrow will be rather busy as well, but I'll try to hopefully get a profile in if I can do so without making it too short.

O&O

Aethyrium

The profile doesn't need to be incredibly full, just a premise of who they are and what they've done. Of course that said, I will stop taking 'new' ideas tomorrow evening; yours isn't new so much as delayed. If you need an extra day to finish things upp, I'm content to wait till the end of the weekend to wrap things up. :)

Also: Daruka Ramdhal played by Strenia has been selected to play The Earthbender.

Strenia

All knowledge is worth having - Jacqueline Carey, Kushiel's Dart

Stren's Corner - O&Os

A wandering Bard's map - A&As

Aethyrium

Nukilik Kohaku played by Endscape has been selected as our Martialist.

And with that our recruitment is concluded. Thank you everyone who displayed interest in the game! :)