Interest Check: New Mutants - The Final Year

Started by BlackStone, March 29, 2018, 11:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackStone

So since it was a free comic for Kindle Unlimited, I read the New Mutants graphic novel which came out in the 2003, and I was hooked with the writing and the concept. so much so I even went and spent money on The New X-Men: Academy X series, and thought this would make for an interesting game.  I wanted to see if there were any folks out there who would be interested in such concept with the following plot-hooks/changes.

1. It would not be Marvel-616 continuity so as to not be shackled by history/canon which has happened and to give players some flexibility in coming up with characters
2. In this world, Xavier's is not merely a high-school, but also a College Preparatory School/Community College.  Student Characters would be in the last year of their academic endeavors at Xavier's, and as such Student characters ages will rage from 18-21.  Main reason for this is not to even come close to the underage character rules here on E!.  I want their to be no doubt we are talking about young adults, not teenagers. 
3. Players if they want will be allowed to have two characters, one student, and one junior staff.
4. For student character I am more looking for OC than canon, but if someone can give me a decent pitch for one of the mutants who fit the age range and you want to put your own stamp on it be it different take on powers, different history, gender-bend, I would be willing to hear you out (again if we have interest)
5. Junior Staff can be canon characters, but I am going to insist it be any mutant who has not been a primary member of one of the X-Teams.  The elder former New Mutants are fair game, for example, and again as above you want to give them your own mark, would love to hear it.  Character such as Cyclops, Beast, Jean Grey, Archangel, etc, would not be and they would be NPC's.
6. Also while I know it is a plot hook many have interest in, I am not really wanting to go the route of Teacher/student relations.  I really feel like the instructors would be far too professional to let such a thing happen.  Student/student, go for it, Teacher/teacher, again not going ta hold ya back.  Teacher/student...I am really going to need to be convinced as to its merits for the plot and the game before I would okay it.

Again this is an idea, and I will be the first to admit not all of my group game ideas have been raging successes here, but thought I would toss it out there to see how many nibbles I get.

Gannameade

I love the New Mutants and could definitely come up with something.

Elunari

I think I'd be interested to try a group game again. Always had a soft spot for X-Men.
Ons/Offs                                 Plots and Desires  Updated 8/29/14!                               Absences/Apologies

The only way to have eternal love is to never let your heart forget what it's like to live without it.

persephone325

I'm interested. Not sure if I can join just yet, but I always love me a good Marvel game. <3
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Bowen

Interested. Are there any guidelines as to character creation/power level?

Ghostly

Priapus89

BlackStone

I would like to see if there is a little more interest.  Looking for 5-6 players, 8 at most to handle the eventual player attrition with near all group games.   To get folks thinking, as far as range, nothing omega level, and no more than two primary "mutations" to mean distinct and separate powers.   This is different than power stunts.   For example Dani Moonstar's limited telepathy is a power stunt caused by her ability to bring forth from a person an emotional connection, be it fear, love, hate.   Her psychic arrows she had at one point however is another mutation and would be considered a different power.  The more powerful you want you character, the less control he or she will have of their powers.   Teachers I do want in the lower power levels as if they were Alpha mutants, they would be active X-Men or X-Force, and not teachers.

BlackStone

I think we have enough interest in this for me to go forward.  If people are looking for a gauge as far as power levels, my guide I use is the old TSR (now Wizards of the Coast) Advanced Marvel Superheroes Role Playing Game, or as some of you may recall, the FASERIP system.  By those standards, here is what I consider a mutant power level

Alpha: Any power Incredible 40, or enhanced ability Amazing 50
Beta: Any power Remarkable 30, or enhanced ability Incredible 40
Charlie: Any power Excellent 20, or enhanced ability Remarkable 30
Delta: Any power Good 10

Student Character Sheet

[float=right][img height=300 padding=5]Paste the URL of the image you are using here.[/img][/float]
[b]Player ID:[/b] Your Elliquiy login ID

[u][font=French Script MT][b][size=20pt]Character Basics[/size][/b][/font][/u]
[b]Name:[/b] What are they called
[b]Code/Hero Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b] Self explanatory
[b]Power Level:[/b] Alpha, Beta, Charlie, or Delta
[b]Sexuality:[/b] Optional
[b]On's:[/b] 
[b]Off's:[/b]

[hr]
[u][font=French Script MT][b][size=20pt]Character Appearance[/size][/b][/font][/u]
[b]Height:[/b] In inches and/or cm
[b]Weight:[/b] In Lb and/or Kg
[b]Age:[/b] Between 18 and 21
[b]Hair Color:[/b] Specify if not clear from the photo, or put As Picture.
[b]Eye Color:[/b] As above
[b]Build:[/b] As above.
[b]Distinguishing marks:[/b] Is there anything unusual about them, piercings, tattoos, scars,  missing limbs, etc.

[hr]
[u][size=12pt][b]Personality:[/b] [/size][/u]
What sort of person are they, how do they react to others, what pushes their buttons, what calms them down. Please type at least one paragraph

[hr]
[size=12pt][b]History:[/b] [/size]
I am not looking for [i][b]War and Peace[/b][/i] here, but I do want something more than a few sentences.  Feel free to be creative but do try to limit the big damn hero moments, as I promise you will have your moments in the game.  If using one of the New Mutants from New X-Men: Academy X feel free to summarize.

[hr]
[u][size=12pt][b]Powers/Abilities:[/b] [/size][/u]
When you are putting them down, do try to give me some frame of reference, such as if you say your character can stretch, tell me how far.  If they have super strength, tell me how much they can lift.  If they have super speed, how fast can they move.   I want to be able to wrap my mind about the bounds and range of your powers/abilities.  Also as students at most they should have no more than two distinct Mutations/Powers, and no more than two "tricks" per power.

[hr]
[u][size=12pt][b]Skills:[/b] [/size][/u]
Talents and Skills, stuff that is not super powered goes here, like you are a Black Belt in Martial Artist, you have a skilled knowledge of electronics, you hold a PhD level education in nuclear fusion, etc.  As students your characters are going to be limited in the number of skills merely because they are still young adults.  For example unless your character has hyper-intelligence, most of their knowledge levels will be at an undergraduate level.  A black belt in one martial arts is reasonable, several is not.  If there are any questions, ask me please.

[hr]
[u][size=12pt][b]Limitations/Weaknesses:[/b][/size] [/u]
Your character should have at least one.  Students of Alpha level power need to have more than one limitation.  Limitations should be something which would be a challenge for them, not something like "I loose my powers from element X from the planet Xeon".  Limitation should be a plot hook/challenge for the student which will come into play during the game.

[hr]
[u][b]Other Info:[/b] [/u]
Anything else you think might be important. (Optional, if you can't think of anything you may delete this section).

As far as Instructors, once more any non-major X-Men or other member of the X-teams are fair game.  Some examples are Amanda Sefton, Cecilia Reyes, Forge, any original New Mutant.  Also Instructors do not need to be mutants.  Any human or altered human associated with the X-Men franchise can be used.

Instructor Character Sheet

[float=right][img height=300 padding=5]Paste the URL of the image you are using here.[/img][/float]
[b]Player ID:[/b] Your Elliquiy login ID

[u][font=French Script MT][b][size=20pt]Character Basics[/size][/b][/font][/u]
[b]Name:[/b] What are they called
[b]Code/Hero Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b] Self explanatory
[b]Race:[/b] Altered Human, Human, or Mutant
[b]Power Level:[/b] Alpha, Beta, Charlie, Delta, or none
[b]Instructor of:[/b] What subject do you wish for your character to teach
[b]Sexuality:[/b] Optional
[b]On's:[/b] 
[b]Off's:[/b]

[hr]
[u][font=French Script MT][b][size=20pt]Character Appearance[/size][/b][/font][/u]
[b]Height:[/b] In inches and/or cm
[b]Weight:[/b] In Lb and/or Kg
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Hair Color:[/b] Specify if not clear from the photo, or put As Picture.
[b]Eye Color:[/b] As above
[b]Build:[/b] As above.
[b]Distinguishing marks:[/b] Is there anything unusual about them, piercings, tattoos, scars,  missing limbs, etc.

[hr]
[u][size=12pt][b]Personality:[/b] [/size][/u]
What sort of person are they, how do they react to others, what pushes their buttons, what calms them down. Please type at least one paragraph

[hr]
[size=12pt][b]History:[/b] [/size]
I am not looking for [i][b]War and Pease[/b][/i] here, but I do want something more than a few sentences.  Feel free to be creative but do try to limit the big damn hero moments, as I promise you will have your moments in the game.  If using one of the original New Mutants, or a mutant introduced into the franchise yet not a frequent member of one of the X-teams, feel free to summarize their background.

[hr]
[u][size=12pt][b]Powers/Abilities:[/b] [/size][/u]
When you are putting them down, do try to give me some frame of reference, such as if you say your character can stretch, tell me how far.  If they have super strength, tell me how much they can lift.  If they have super speed, how fast can they move.   I want to be able to wrap my mind about the bounds and range of your powers/abilities.  Instructors should have no more than four distinct powers, but they can have a number of tricks with their powers

[hr]
[u][size=12pt][b]Skills:[/b] [/size][/u]
Talents and Skills, stuff that is not super powered goes here, like you are a Black Belt in Martial Artist, you have a skilled knowledge of electronics, you hold a PhD level education in nuclear fusion, etc.

[hr]
[u][size=12pt][b]Limitations/Weaknesses:[/b][/size] [/u]
Your character should have at least one.  Instructors of Alpha level power need to have more at least two limitations.  Limitations should be something which would be a challenge for them, not something like "I loose my powers from element X from the planet Xeon".  Limitation should be a plot hook/challenge for the character which will come into play during the game.

[hr]
[u][b]Other Info:[/b] [/u]
Anything else you think might be important. (Optional, if you can't think of anything you may delete this section).

Again if you are using an original character, I would love to see your stamp on the character to make it slightly different than the comics.  Gender bending is allowed.  Looking forwards to seeing what you come up with.

Bowen

Player ID: Bowen

Character Basics
Name: Templar
Code/Hero Name: Pericles 'Perry' Anthos
Power Level: Alpha
Sexuality: Hetero
On's:  Romantic, otherwise a work in progress. Not a lot of experience in this department.
Off's: Anything bathroom (showers together are the exception), gore, vore, animals, S&M, humiliation. 

Character Appearance
Height: 6'1" [225 cm]
Weight: 225 [102 kg]
Hair Color: Silvery white
Eye Color: Blue
Build: As above.
Distinguishing marks: Hair is long

Personality:
The best way to describe Templar is to call him driven. He pictures himself a modern day knight. He has always believed that criminals should be brought to justice for their crimes and while not lethal can be brutal in taking a villain down.

Another notable trait about the man is his sardonic wit and extremely black sense of humor. Templar practically goes out of his way to make light of his opponents, even if he only does so inside the confines of his head most of the time. If he faces a particularly ridiculous opponent, however, Templar won't censor himself, and will let all manner of wry jokes slip out.

History:
For all his life, even when he was a little kid, Perry wanted to be one thing - the good guy, the man with the white hat, the police officer, the knight in shining armour. This tendency kept him on the straight and narrow all through high school, and his boy scout nature made him few friends. He was an idealist, a lonely and frustrated one. He decided to join the Justice Department when he was seven. He looked up everything required to qualify.

He drove his parents asking them questions until they relented and looked into it. They bought books on criminology, the legal system. He started training in Aikido and trying to make sense of all his books. Not being able to join until he was 23 was annoying so he planned out joining the Navy and trying to be an NCIS Agent as soon as he graduated high school. All of that was dashed when his powers erupted in his mid teens.

Powers/Abilities:
Plasma Control: Perry can control fields of highly-charged particles. This first manifested as a silvery energy weapons[much like Psylocks's Psyscimitar only since he's trained with quarterstaff and jo sticks that is what manifested]. He experimented with the ability for a while before, and to be totally honest it was a defensive reflex that he discovered he could also create energy constructs [like Green lantern only very crude right now, more along the lines of simple shapes with no moving parts] and a force shield [much like the Black Knight and Captain America's].

See Auras: This ability allows Perry to gain insights into the target's moral leanings. Again with some practice he discovered that he could sense people with powers and even ghosts/astral projecting people.

in MSH terms:

Plasma Manipulation: Energy Weapons (In)
Stunts: Energy Solidification, Force Shield

Aura Vision: Moral leanings (Rm)
Stunts: Power Detection, See Ghosts/Astral Beings

Skills:
Black belt in Aikido. Law. Painting/Drawing.

Limitations/Weaknesses:
Aura based vision has to be line of sight. He can't see through walls or see someone's aura via recorded media. Likewise blinding attacks would prevent him from using this power in while blinded. Templar is also susceptible to magic.

Other Info:
Additional pictures

BlackStone

BlackStone

Interest looks to have slacked off, so I am going to table this, maybe open it back up after the New Mutants movie, I don't know.   I want to thank folks who did put in characters, and you will get messaged and first crack at characters if I ever pursue this idea in the future.