Monster Hunter (Pathfinder with some 3.5)

Started by ulthakptah, November 01, 2013, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulthakptah

Quote from: Blackflow on November 15, 2013, 02:11:43 PM
So will new magic weapons be just obtained, or will they be crafted?  I took Master Craftsman and Craft Magic Arms and Armor -- are those necessary, or should I spend those feats elsewhere as there won't be much to do with them?
They will be crafted, just not by the players. Those feat slots would be best used for more combat related things, as you should be far to busy out hunting monster to be working a forge. Crafting traps, alchemy (mainly bombs), and ammunition might come in handy, but things that could be made in a sitting rather than whole days of work. Also if you wanted the crafting to save some money don't. I do not plan on charging arms and legs for the weapons and armor. Well not your arms and legs... The spare parts from the monster that aren't used in making your new gear should mostly cover the price to have them made.
Quote from: Ghostwheel on November 15, 2013, 02:15:06 PM
Also, do you have a rough estimate of when you'd like to choose people and start the game? Or still haven't decided on that?
I have not decided, I might soon though.

Phaia

i am getting close to finish with my bard but have a question for ya ulthkpath

can i use this trait http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/equipment-traits/heirloom-weapon
to pick up an elven curve blade for my human bard...looking for a different weapon to use with weapon finesse other then the normal rapier all bards seem to use... the way the trait reads it nearly is as good as a feat so did not want to just grab it before asking

phaia

Ghostwheel

The reason that the trait isn't as considered as powerful as a feat is because it's a non-masterwork weapon, and you're *only* proficient with it when wielding *that* specific weapon, which means that you wouldn't ever be able to use anything but the very basic one (no enhancement, etc) unless you went ahead and spent a feat on proficiency. Also note that it can only be taken with simple or martial weapons.

Phaia

ahhh that makes sense ....thanks

also would the profession-cook be useful to us in the field...fry up some of the monster steaks maybe?

i was looking for a decent weapon that would work with weapon finesse and a bard is why i was asking...and having it not mw ..lol i suppose i could not get it with a special material...adamantine weapons are MW but that would be cheating of course it would then cost 3080 lol
may just stay an elf then...just looking at being a control bard with whip/net and a nasty weapon

phaia

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Phaia on November 15, 2013, 07:54:39 PM
ahhh that makes sense ....thanks

also would the profession-cook be useful to us in the field...fry up some of the monster steaks maybe?

i was looking for a decent weapon that would work with weapon finesse and a bard is why i was asking...and having it not mw ..lol i suppose i could not get it with a special material...adamantine weapons are MW but that would be cheating of course it would then cost 3080 lol
may just stay an elf then...just looking at being a control bard with whip/net and a nasty weapon

phaia
I got mithral full plate okay'd by the GM.  I believe he's allowing special materials.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Phaia

you do realize its a tropical, jungle setting...high heat. humid...fatigue lots of water

phaia

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Phaia on November 15, 2013, 08:24:29 PM
you do realize its a tropical, jungle setting...high heat. humid...fatigue lots of water

phaia
Yep.  Just means my character is a badass.

Besides, I've played Monster Hunter.  I've been a greatsword swinging mofo wearing heavy armour.  Trust me, conventional logic doesn't apply to Monster Hunter at all.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Phaia

darn my bard just wears sexy leathers

and cant use a real MOFO weapon

by the GW there is a way around the nonMW aspect of the heirloom weapon and  that is the  spell Masterwork transformation...2nd level for most of the spell casters....the way it reads it changes the item to a MW....i have the extra gold it would take

so GM sir would you allow that...take heirloom elven curve blade as a heirloom weapon and then cast MasterWork Transformation on it?

phaia

Ghostwheel

Note that, like I mentioned, it still needs to be a simple/masterwork weapon, and since that's an exotic weapon......

(Yes, I know they treat it like a martial weapon for the purpose of proficiency and such if you're an elf, but it still counts as an exotic weapon on the chart. Though the DM might say differently, but at that point it's his call.)

ulthakptah

I say it could count, it makes sense that elves would pass down an elven sword. However you might not want to do that as you may have no noticed, but you will get crazy ass magic weapons from killing monsters in this game, which will not be your family sword. Also cooking could be useful. Mmm... monster steak.

Phaia

Quote from: Ghostwheel on November 15, 2013, 08:46:55 PM
Note that, like I mentioned, it still needs to be a simple/masterwork weapon, and since that's an exotic weapon......

(Yes, I know they treat it like a martial weapon for the purpose of proficiency and such if you're an elf, but it still counts as an exotic weapon on the chart. Though the DM might say differently, but at that point it's his call.)

decided to stay an elf...I was looking at that nice human ability to add a spell known [one level less ] instead of skill or hit point  would have given her extra spells but after looking at it ..low light vision and plus to perception..decided to stay elf

but here are some more questions since I am in the point of spending the rest of her gold
would having a large tent be useful to the group...she has the space in her bag of holding and the gold? I was also thinking about hunting/traking dogs with her versitile performance she will have a high handle animal so she could train them

also for color mainly..was looking at trade goods they have silk listed at 10gp a sq yd...are there better grades or something like elf silk [softer, shear etc...[ was planing on having the silk in 1ft by 9ft strips and used in her dances at times [sorta a dance of the veils...kinda] if so how much more would it cost

i am taking an elf there for the elven curve blade is a weapon since it has elven in the name :) so dont worry bout the heirloom weapon trait going for another
i have gotten several wands... 2 cure lights but if anyone has extra gold grab a wand of cure lights [750gp] even if your character cant use it mine can and it has 50 charges   

oh ulthakptah you okay with a wand of gravity bow or lead blades...both very useful to the hunters even if it only lasts a minute

i am looking at this as the image for her armor without all the throwing daggers... think she is elven enough of course the blue hair fits with the monster hunters right?
i suppose i could get her a bunch of throwing knives ..though her main range weapon is a MW comp LB... she wont be using it much with all the archer types we have

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

phaia

Phaia

before i forget can i  have an adamantine weapon which would be mw as well per the adamantine section....lol the elven curved blade of course!!

i also need to know if a 'dart' [ranged simple weapon a bard can use] is considered ammo for purposes of MW or special materials? it would effect the cost [also a dart is very similar to what the girl in the image has as thrown weapons]

phaia

eBadger

If you still need more players, I'll submit a mage of some flavor later tonight.  Probably a transmuter with a penchant for alchemy. 

Phaia

Quote from: eBadger on November 16, 2013, 09:42:53 PM
If you still need more players, I'll submit a mage of some flavor later tonight.  Probably a transmuter with a penchant for alchemy.

hun read the first page NO FULL CASTERS allowed...i had a great idea for a witch..no go...bards are allowed but thats mine..rangers and paladins i think are allowed..not sure on those

phaia

Idej

Zaer Darkwail

Reason is probably because it's monster hunter game based DnD game and in monster hunter game there are no spellcasters anykind (just bunch of people who melee or use ranged bow attacks on monsters).

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, I am considering either Spellthief (complete adventurer), I assume some monsters have spell-alike abilities or outright caster levels (example dragons with sorcerer levels).

Or be crusader, a tank sort build with glaive or spiked chain.

Muse

If you're still recruting, would a Dragon Shaman be martial enough?  Especially one with martial weapon proficiency? 

Though really, I should probably look at some of those cool old martial priestess classes here... 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Oh!  I've got it! 

Do you have room for a Dervish? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Phaia

hey guys let me intorduce Ahrainna the sey elf bard....i did not notice much of backgrounds for anyone so unless ne is needed [which i have] i amjust tossing her to the monsters..

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=708754

instead of posting all her gear on the sheet i am doing it here

magic items--26970gp

Necklace of Fireballs- Type ll [2700] - 6d6/4d6x2/2d6x2
wand of cure light wounds [750]
belt of physical might +2 dex /str [10000]
clock of elvenkind [2500] +5 stealth
boots of elven kind [2500] +5 acrobatics
campfire bead [720]
handy haversack [2000]
scabbard of vigor [1800]
bag of holding type l [2500] 15lbs- holds 250lbs/30 cu ft
[26970]

weapons /armor--4666gp

Adamantine Elven Curved Blade [MW] [3080] 7lbs
MW Composite Longbow, Mighty +3 [700] 3lbs
20 arrows [1] 3lbs
MW Rapier [320] 2lbs  1d6  18-20/x2
MW Whip [301] 2lbs
Dagger x2 [4gp] 2lbs
MW Leather Armor [160] 15lbs
Net x5 [6lbs]
[4666]

gear 1) 170gp/5sp/4cp

bedroll [5lbs], blanket [3lbs], caltrops x6 [12lbs], candle x10, flint and steel, mug x2, lantern bullseye [3lbs], oil 4 pints [4lbs],
belt pouch x2 [1lbs], rations x30 days* [30lbs], 50' silk rope [5lbs], water skin x3 [12lbs], whetstone x2, tent, pavilion* [50lbs]
bear traps x10* [100lbs], *MW cook set [10lbs][+2 cooking]
*bag of holding not handy haversack

gear 2) 478gp.4sp

antitoxin 4 vials, everburning torch x2 [2lbs], sunrod x6 [6lbs], tindertwig x15, hot weather outfit [4lbs], white/red silk 2 sq yd [2 pieces 1' by 9']
sack x4 [2lbs], entertainer's outfit [4lbs]

gear 3) 75gp 5 sp

tobacco [1lb], cinnamon [1lb], salt [2lbs], cloves [1lbs], pepper [1lb], *ale -gallon [8lbs], cheese -hunk x6 [3lbs], Meat hunk x4 [2lbs],
fine wine -bottle x2 [3lbs]
[50.5]
*20lbs seasonings, etc
[25gp]
*in bag of holding

attribute build

20,18, 16, 14, 13, 13

Elf
         base +  Race    + advance       +magic
Str      16            16            16        [+2] 18
Dex     20    [+2] 22            22       [+2] 24
Con    14     [-2] 12     [+1] 13               13
Int      13    [+2] 15     [+1] 16               16
Wis     13            13            13               13
Cha    18            18            18                18

coins left: 639 gp/ 5sp/ 6cp

i would be happy to donate 300 gp for an extar wand of cure lights or most any lvl 1

phaia

ulthakptah

Yes, there will be monsters with spell like abilities.

No, dragon shamans are not martial enough for me.

Muse

Name:      Ania
Birthday   7-19
Height:      5’1”
Weight:   110lbs
Measures:   34”B, 24”, 30”
Skin:      Mocha
Hair:      Blue-Black
Eyes:      Sapphire
Style:      Ania favors soft black sandals that lace up to her knees.  She wears a red skirt that doesn’t quite fall to her knees and is slit up the left side for full range of motion.  A vest matches this over a white tube top.  She wears a braided golden belt from which a scimitar hangs on golden chains.  A small black quiver is bound to her left thigh, and a dagger to the same calf.  A large diamond shaped sapphire in a golden setting dangles in her cleavage. 

Ania was born in the village of Bree and lived there into her ninth year.  It was then that the village was attacked by the notorious dragon Fyrentanomeer.  This great scarlet wyrm burned her village to the ground and, devouring maidens and making off with their meager treasures. 

He never found the beautiful blue gem he was seeking, for Anaia’s father slipped it around her neck before throwing her into the river.  The gem’s magic—now exhausted—gave her the gift of water breathing and the water protected her somewhat from the dragon’s fire. 

Ania was discovered three days later by a traveling circus.  She was adopted by Klyle the lion tamer and his wife Mara—an acrobat.  For several years she spoke only to lion cubs, and she remained very close with the lions even once she’d begun interacting with humans again.  She became chipper and talkative at that point, but trained hard to learn the ways of weapons and armor with the ultimate goal of becoming a monster hunter and a dragon slayer. 

She still wears the gem around her neck, a silent dare to Fyren to come and face her, though she knows she must still grow much stronger before she’s ready to face a wyrm. 

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=715852

Thorn14

Can I get into the wait list for this? I can't believe I overlooked this RP!

Phaia

*tap tap tap**

helloooo!!
is this still gonna happen or did it fade away?

phaia

ulthakptah

Well thanksgiving happened. Once I come out of my food coma, I will start it up.