BattleTech 3057 - Recruiting players and co-GMs for new run.

Started by Wargtass, October 27, 2013, 06:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: orderNchaos on November 18, 2013, 08:20:32 PM
Ok, so I finally decided after much musing that I am going to bring Ranna back for the new launch...with the caveat to Wargtass that the pilots who have been with the unit since that first painful mission need to be promoted in some substantial way! ;)

Kayla I think it's time you and I sat down and figured out where Ranna and Elisa finally sat down and 'got to know each other'.  If we can't RP it, at least we can figure things out. 

Otherwise, I hope the newbies are ready to see some real pilots in action!  ;)

I hope those 'real pilots' have finally learned to listen to the veterans. ;D

Sara Nilsson

Anathanasia

Quote from: Wargtass on November 18, 2013, 08:05:25 PM
Anathanasia, I am pretty happy with the outline of your character as such, just need to change some things around to reflect the story of our game. That Warhammer looks tasty btw, I would want to meet it in a dark alley.  :P

I'd like to figure out who saved her life, so I can write that in to her revision. It is pretty key to the whole character! Should it be Walter Veijer? Someone else, maybe a PC officer?

I think it'll be one of her parents who was on Styk, one of the House Fujita people that was rescued by that daring mechwarrior. I'll recalculate Lee's age once I get that all sorted out, but she will still remain around 20-22

That Warhammer was designed to be a close 3050 refit of the old Liao Hothammer. It just wouldn't feel right to me to play a Liao mechwarrior in a Warhammer and not have the dual flamers. Sure, bet there are plenty out there, but where's the fun in that? ;)

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 18, 2013, 08:16:55 PM
Absolutely. I think the designers are on record somewhere, actually, as saying that if you actually approached things from a strict logical and realistic perspective, tanks would be superior to Mechs in almost every way, so the technology/tactics in BT is intentionally designed to make non-mech units inferior.

Right. There are a lot of advantages to a humanoid body, but if all your mech does is lumber around really slowly like a big vertical target you're just...a big, slow moving vertical target! A traditional tank with it's low profile, box-with-a-big-gun on top of a bigger-box is much better if you aren't taking advantage of what a humanoid form can do. Bigger, thicker, more easily sloped armour plates probably...yeah, I've read all the fluff on the awesome mech technology, I just think it's a deeper problem than fancy mech armour.

In the fiction, the writers did things like let mechs kneel, crouch, roll and take up position at the corner of a large building to fire around it. I think that stuff is cool; that's what really makes mechs awesome to me, the firepower and protection of a tank in a much more mobile and agile body!
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

orderNchaos

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 18, 2013, 08:22:10 PM
I hope those 'real pilots' have finally learned to listen to the veterans. ;D

Uh....wait...is Alroy even able to drive a mech anymore?  Getting a little old aren't you old man??  I'd have to say Ranna and Alroy are about equal in Veteran status!  :-*

Wargtass

Quote from: Anathanasia on November 18, 2013, 08:28:08 PM
I'd like to figure out who saved her life, so I can write that in to her revision. It is pretty key to the whole character! Should it be Walter Veijer? Someone else, maybe a PC officer?

I think it'll be one of her parents who was on Styk, one of the House Fujita people that was rescued by that daring mechwarrior. I'll recalculate Lee's age once I get that all sorted out, but she will still remain around 20-22

With the whole 4thSW thing it would have been more likely that it was the Ol' Kilroy Guts'n'Bones himself that did such a daring rescue. Walter didn't join with the company until a few years after the 4thSW and before that he was in the Kungsarmé of the FRR.
O/O

Anathanasia

Quote from: Wargtass on November 18, 2013, 08:49:40 PM
With the whole 4thSW thing it would have been more likely that it was the Ol' Kilroy Guts'n'Bones himself that did such a daring rescue. Walter didn't join with the company until a few years after the 4thSW and before that he was in the Kungsarmé of the FRR.

Something is wrong here...

The 4thSW was nearly 30 years ago, so that just doesn't work out with a 20 year old being rescued 9 years before she was born, which is when House Fujita was nearly wiped out on Styk in 3028.

I was figuring Lee joined the unit recently, having been rescued by one of the current officers. This would have happened on some operation where the Ol' Bones crossed paths with some Warrior House Fujita mechwarriors. Personally, I'm open to suggestions, but it could be pretty fun if it were another PC.

Anyone want a cute Chinese psycho as a bodyguard? ;)
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: orderNchaos on November 18, 2013, 08:29:12 PM
Uh....wait...is Alroy even able to drive a mech anymore?  Getting a little old aren't you old man??  I'd have to say Ranna and Alroy are about equal in Veteran status!  :-*

Jaime Wolf lived to be 87 and died in his 'Mech, and if that freeborn bastard can pull it off, I think Alroy can manage at 55 or so. ;D

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 18, 2013, 09:09:38 PM
Jaime Wolf lived to be 87 and died in his 'Mech, and if that freeborn bastard can pull it off, I think Alroy can manage at 55 or so. ;D

if not we can help him by making his mech wheelchair accessible

Andi

And Jaime might have lived if he had not been shot from behind... *stirs pot*

Oh, Warg - you never said, do I need to make more amendments to Vanya?

Wargtass

Quote from: Anathanasia on November 18, 2013, 09:07:59 PM
Something is wrong here...

The 4thSW was nearly 30 years ago, so that just doesn't work out with a 20 year old being rescued 9 years before she was born, which is when House Fujita was nearly wiped out on Styk in 3028.

I was thinking you meant that one of her parents had been saved by someone in the unit. If she was recently, then anything goes I guess.  :P
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on November 18, 2013, 09:12:12 PM
if not we can help him by making his mech wheelchair accessible

*Shakes AC/20 at Sara*

Gettof mah lawn, whippersnapper!

Sara Nilsson

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on November 18, 2013, 09:21:10 PM
size doesnt matter old timer

Not always, but it helps - of course, the real deciding factor is experience, so age is a definite benefit there.

We are still talking about Mechs, right? ;)

Andi

To quote "Falcon and Wolf"

"A wise woman told me a secret once. She said old age and experience will beat youth and ignorance every time. Today, we put her words to the test, quiaff?" ~Ulric Kerensky, December 3057

We all know how /he/ ended, right?

TheGlyphstone

Age and experience beat youth and ignorance every time. Massive long-range missile salvo bombardments with a spotting laser beat both.

Andi

Yupp. Of course, what can you expect of a Jade Falcon...

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 18, 2013, 09:23:42 PM
Not always, but it helps - of course, the real deciding factor is experience, so age is a definite benefit there.

We are still talking about Mechs, right? ;)

eh.. mechs? well.. no i wasnt but sure :) we can do that

Thorne

Ok, so I finally decided after much musing that I am going to bring Ranna back for the new launch...with the caveat to Wargtass that the pilots who have been with the unit since that first painful mission need to be promoted in some substantial way! ;)

Kayla I think it's time you and I sat down and figured out where Ranna and Elisa finally sat down and 'got to know each other'.  If we can't RP it, at least we can figure things out. 

Otherwise, I hope the newbies are ready to see some real pilots in action!  ;)

*chuckle* Woo! Is Ailis invited to that party, or are we going to work /that/ out later?
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

orderNchaos

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 18, 2013, 09:09:38 PM

Remember....Ranna was raised by Jaime Wolfe and Natasha Kerensky, I think she's well beyond youth and ignorance!   >:)

Thorne

Yeaah.. how old WAS Natasha when Joanna shot her out of her 'Mech?
She certainly put mud in the eye of more than one idiot Crusader, well past the point when the lot would have shipped her out...

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Thorne on November 18, 2013, 10:16:18 PM
Yeaah.. how old WAS Natasha when Joanna shot her out of her 'Mech?
She certainly put mud in the eye of more than one idiot Crusader, well past the point when the lot would have shipped her out...

84, according to Sarna.net.

Andi

Alte Spinatwachtel... and Joanna did not shoot her out of Widowmaker. She melted the cockpit to slag with her jump jets.

Thorne

Ehhh... close enough. Shot out of. . melted into ... details.
And Joanna wasn't exactly a spring chicken herself, at the time, if I recall correctly.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

TheGlyphstone

She was 28 when she went to Glory Station, which was sometime in the 3040's. She killed Natasha in 3057, so that would put her between 36 and 45.

Blobbe

I'm not keeping Elisa in the mk II (Ironically, one of the reasons is that we never got to sit down and figure stuff out) but certainly I'd be up for figuring out what they established and where they got to. Hell, I still need to figure why Elisa is no longer with the team.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the "old badarse Mechwarrior" award has to go to Wayne Waco. He was 99 when he and Jamie Wolf killed each other.

As for Joanna, she has no canon age given. All we know is that she is somewhat older then Aiden Pryde (maybe a decade) and he was born in 3012.