What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

Quote from: Pitagora on June 29, 2010, 09:31:08 AM
I will NEVER EVER play MUDs again.
This is the most frustrating gaming experience i had in my entire gaming life.
It was really painfull

That's a shame since Elliquiy has its own program that's very similar to a MUD!

https://elliquiy.com/lotgd/home.php?c=48-095002

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Pitagora

Quote from: Paradox on June 29, 2010, 09:51:04 AM
That's a shame since Elliquiy has its own program that's very similar to a MUD!

https://elliquiy.com/lotgd/home.php?c=48-095002
LotGD is not even similar to text muds where YOU MUST have a lantern to see in the dark or get lost (having a lantern and not being able to use it also don't grant you to see in the dark).
In most MUDs you have to feed,drink,repair your weapon's and armors.
If you don't have anything to feed your character fall on the ground unable to move.
The only hope is death.

In most MUDs if you want to talk with someone you must have to wait someone to pass your "tile" and hoping to /follow him in time.
Many MUDs only have experienced players that know where they are going and so on,too bad if you are the new guy.

I can't remember other odd things about MUDs,but i will let you know if something come up to my mind

Hunter

FF7:  If I never hear about it, find another movie, or generally have to listen to anything about it; it'll be too soon.  It was a badly done game and deserves to be tossed into the dustbin of history.

Gathering Wilderness

Metro 2033
not because it was a bad game, but because it was $50 spent on a game with absolutely no replayability that lasts a grand total of 6 hours.
So disappointing.

Also Fallout 3. Not even mods could sway my immense disappointment.

Paradox

Quote from: Pitagora on June 29, 2010, 08:26:54 PM
LotGD is not even similar to text muds where YOU MUST have a lantern to see in the dark or get lost (having a lantern and not being able to use it also don't grant you to see in the dark).
In most MUDs you have to feed,drink,repair your weapon's and armors.
If you don't have anything to feed your character fall on the ground unable to move.
The only hope is death.

In most MUDs if you want to talk with someone you must have to wait someone to pass your "tile" and hoping to /follow him in time.
Many MUDs only have experienced players that know where they are going and so on,too bad if you are the new guy.

I can't remember other odd things about MUDs,but i will let you know if something come up to my mind

Yeah, I know Legend of the Green Dragon isn't technically a MUD.

I've played a ton of MUDs, and not many have that rule about light. Usually only ZORK and its offspring have that requirement. You're right about the repairs, however, and some MUDs do incorporate sustenance requirements; still, I suppose it all depends on your play style. I found MUDs to be extremely rewarding, and they probably had a direct influence of my eventual membership at Elliquiy since they introduced me to text-based roleplaying.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Inkidu

Quote from: Hunter on June 29, 2010, 08:37:52 PM
FF7:  If I never hear about it, find another movie, or generally have to listen to anything about it; it'll be too soon.  It was a badly done game and deserves to be tossed into the dustbin of history.
I just felt millions of fans cry out... but they won't freaking go silent!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

I'm never going to play another point and click game again. Die genre die!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Cheka Man

Sim City 4, a huge waste of time and money.

Sabby

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on July 06, 2010, 02:49:02 AM
Alpha Protocol, and MorphX.
Yeah I'm joining Sabby on the Anti-Alpha Protocol bandwagon. I played a friends copy and found it just too unpolished and the main character too lame to keep playing (Enemies can block your hand-to-hand but you're gimp at defense. WTF?) I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Host of Seraphim

Quote from: Hunter on June 29, 2010, 08:37:52 PM

Awesome Fantasy 7
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Sabby

DudelRok

The original Pokemon Games. After Silver and Gold, and then the new ones... the original 3 just don't cut it at all anymore.

Then again I'm probably done with Pokemon period cause I can't seem to finish Sapphire and did struggle through Emerald.

Oh and I'll not be touching FFVII either. I'm a "story done, now I'm done" gamer.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

consortium11

Quote from: Inkidu on July 06, 2010, 03:16:20 PM
Yeah I'm joining Sabby on the Anti-Alpha Protocol bandwagon. I played a friends copy and found it just too unpolished and the main character too lame to keep playing (Enemies can block your hand-to-hand but you're gimp at defense. WTF?) I'm glad I didn't buy it.

I'd actually say the opposite... Alpha Protocol is a great example of a game with huge replaytability in terms of its design. Like everything  Obsidian produces (Notably KOTR 2 but also NWN 2) it's a work of flawed genius where great game ideas and concepts end up getting strangled by a lack of testing and bugs.

Alpha Protocol has the ability to play as completely different games depending on the set up you choose (run and gun, sneak or somewhere in the middle) and even the talents you have to emphasise them. The biggest change however is in plot and character development. Even going through the game trying to find everything there are huge chunks of information you will miss out on, complete changes in character development, plot twists that can radically alter missions and even whole missions themselves that you'll only come across if you've played a certain way previously. Comparing it to Mass Effect 2 (which is a poor comparison, but the one used the most) it's genuinely incredible how much two playthroughs of AP can change compared to the relatively static game that BioWare produced... and I've gone through ME 3 times now so it's not as if I'd a one and done man. Compare a game where you're a renegade/paragon in ME2 to the difference between being "nice" and "not so nice" in AP and it makes me wish that ME2, which is a much better produced game, had half the scope or ambition that AP does.

It's why I'm of two minds about New Vegas... a game I can see being incredible... or just as bad as Fallout 3...

Inkidu

Quote from: consortium11 on July 07, 2010, 10:32:08 AM
I'd actually say the opposite... Alpha Protocol is a great example of a game with huge replaytability in terms of its design. Like everything  Obsidian produces (Notably KOTR 2 but also NWN 2) it's a work of flawed genius where great game ideas and concepts end up getting strangled by a lack of testing and bugs.

Alpha Protocol has the ability to play as completely different games depending on the set up you choose (run and gun, sneak or somewhere in the middle) and even the talents you have to emphasise them. The biggest change however is in plot and character development. Even going through the game trying to find everything there are huge chunks of information you will miss out on, complete changes in character development, plot twists that can radically alter missions and even whole missions themselves that you'll only come across if you've played a certain way previously. Comparing it to Mass Effect 2 (which is a poor comparison, but the one used the most) it's genuinely incredible how much two playthroughs of AP can change compared to the relatively static game that BioWare produced... and I've gone through ME 3 times now so it's not as if I'd a one and done man. Compare a game where you're a renegade/paragon in ME2 to the difference between being "nice" and "not so nice" in AP and it makes me wish that ME2, which is a much better produced game, had half the scope or ambition that AP does.

It's why I'm of two minds about New Vegas... a game I can see being incredible... or just as bad as Fallout 3...
The upgrades were okay. I couldn't stand the main character. Sure the conversation system looks like ME2 but when your options are some adjectives and not some actual written words there's no chance for that option that just catches your eye. The average person will just stick with what worked. ME2's scope also spans multiple games and A.P.s unpolished mechanics and really stupid protagonist (Stupid might not be the right word but he lacks a sense of presence. Shepard no matter what you picked had that.) really diminish any sense of scope. I didn't play very far but I was already bored of playing it.

consortium11

Quote from: Inkidu on July 07, 2010, 02:30:46 PM
The upgrades were okay. I couldn't stand the main character. Sure the conversation system looks like ME2 but when your options are some adjectives and not some actual written words there's no chance for that option that just catches your eye. The average person will just stick with what worked. ME2's scope also spans multiple games and A.P.s unpolished mechanics and really stupid protagonist (Stupid might not be the right word but he lacks a sense of presence. Shepard no matter what you picked had that.) really diminish any sense of scope. I didn't play very far but I was already bored of playing it.

Aspects of the conservation system annoyed me... when conversation is so important just having stances is a little vague, especially when the stances don't seem to reflect what is actually said. They called it suave, aggressive, professional after the 3 B's... Bond, Bauer and Bourne... yet in reality it was more "puerile humour, psychopath and completely generic neutral". I can't see Bond cracking jokes about people getting raped by polar bears... at least not without being incredibly subtle about it.

That said, the conversations in ME2 didn't seem to mean a whole amount. You got your paragon/renegade points, you got some additional information (that didn't really change the game) and with interrupts you could change your starting position in combat but on the whole the game was the same regardless. Even the "big moments" of keeping one characters loyalty were easy enough to either pass or immediately rectify. While seeing the consequences of your actions from the 1st game was enjoyable, again it didn't add a huge amount. Yes, seeing Wrex was cool... but you did the same missions regardless. The point extends to all of the cameos I can think of... none really changed the game and neither did most conversations. In contrast a single line choice in a single conversation in AP can affect everything that happens going deep into the game. Of pretty much any game I can think of in recent times, none have the choices and consequences that AP does... and I'm willing to forgive some of its flaws for that.

And that's the thing with replayability. There's lots of games out there where the choices you make in how you play... ME2 is as good an example as any... different choices of class and even within a class powers lead to a different playing style. AP has that... but also has the fact that the game can radically alter on seemingly minor conversation choices, on the order you do missions (and not just in the cosmetic way other games deal with it) and the big choices genuinely are big choices that come back to haunt/help you rather than just give you morality points one way or the other.

If you could combine the production (which includes voice acting) and general sheen of ME2 (which is a great game in its own right) with the vision AP showed in a world of mundane RPGs that are churned out these days then I think we'd have had an RPG for the ages.

Which is why I'm hesitantly optimistic about New Vegas...

Cardwolf

I'm never going to play Enchanted Arms again once I beat it

Inkidu

As things look now I'm probably never going to pick Final Fantasy 13 up again. Not because I think it's bad. I just I don't know. It doesn't strike me as Final Fantasy enough. Maybe because Uematsu left. That was a big part of the appeal for me, and I think 13's battle music is ripped right from Tales of Legendia.

I've gotten up to the boss fight with the guy who is supposed to be human but is a fal'ci for another fal'ci and I lost but I know I can beat him I just don't want to, I'm just not compelled like I am with earlier games. So this one is never play again by neglect.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on July 12, 2010, 01:11:33 PM
As things look now I'm probably never going to pick Final Fantasy 13 up again. Not because I think it's bad. I just I don't know. It doesn't strike me as Final Fantasy enough. Maybe because Uematsu left. That was a big part of the appeal for me, and I think 13's battle music is ripped right from Tales of Legendia.

I've gotten up to the boss fight with the guy who is supposed to be human but is a fal'ci for another fal'ci and I lost but I know I can beat him I just don't want to, I'm just not compelled like I am with earlier games. So this one is never play again by neglect.

Oooh Inki, I have some good news for you.

Uematsu is back to working for Square and the Final Fantasy Team. He's the composer for Final Fantasy XIV.

Nyarly

I don't think that he is back to Square. He formed his own company, independent from any other one. He still does work for SE occasionally, but still he isn't part of it anymore.

Heaven Sent Blossom

It's the golden rule of the Japanese games industry, once you have worked on Final Fantasy you can work on pretty much anything if you go off on your own, including another Final Fantasy. You can probably also get paid a little bit more than the pittance Square offer.

On the "games I'll never play again" front I'm going to throw "Last Rebellion" out there. Honestly I should know better by now, but somehow I keep tricking myself into playing these woeful JRPG abominations. It's like digital self-harm:-<

Wolfy

Well, all that I know is that he's the composer for FFXIV, which makes the game even more epic. o3o

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on July 13, 2010, 10:24:50 AM
Well, all that I know is that he's the composer for FFXIV, which makes the game even more epic. o3o
Sadly, that one's an MMORPG and despite my lack of high-speed internet, and other things I think MMORPGs are all basically horrible for the same reasons.

Paradox

Quote from: Inkidu on July 13, 2010, 06:09:13 PM
Sadly, that one's an MMORPG and despite my lack of high-speed internet, and other things I think MMORPGs are all basically horrible for the same reasons.

Because there really aren't any girls on the internet?