I find it too funny.

Started by Inkidu, August 19, 2008, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I was taught that there are three things you never bring up in a conversation: Sex, politics, and income. The internet usually violates two of three in one topic! E. is no exception. :-X :D ;D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

These days it's hard to miss the 'us vs. them' mindset within the US. But whereas in past years I was content to generally let it lie, today I feel this is another taboo that needs a little shattering.

We're sitting in a legacy of the past eight years and patriotism to the point of stupidity in the wake of 9/11. The conservatives have generally not been content to let the issues lie, but rather elected their monkey once into office (and 'elect' is a highly debatable term), and then they were stupid enough to buy the party line again. To be fair, it's not like the Dems gave them a real run four years ago, unlike today.

The conservative bent has seemed to get dumber and more in your face as the months have rolled on. Pushing their blithering ignorance like Creation Science up to including a museum, and edging into politics and privacy with the Patriot Act.

I never really bothered to think this way 10+ years ago, but the country has changed, and it's pushed me to change. For lack of a better term I've felt compelled to move to militant liberalism, or at least aggressive liberalism. Want to debate morality with me out of your crumbling old book, or try to explain how Creation Science is correct in any way? I'll match you act for act, standing right in your face these days to debate. Want to play your hard edge righteousness? Bring that crap right here.

No, I have to say I have no issues with bringing up politics or religion these days, and believe me I don't just do it from the safety of my desktop. The time to be silent or tactful on a lot of this stuff is long past. I'm sorry to have to say that, but I just don't see an alternative now.

Inkidu

Oh so you've graduated from Harvard and Yale? Either way, I'm not talking with you on politics.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

Common misconception that you require an Ivy League education to have an educated and qualified opinion, or do I smell sarcasm, or a little of both? At any rate it is probably the wiser course of action that you don't.

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on August 20, 2008, 03:51:03 AM
Common misconception that you require an Ivy League education to have an educated and qualified opinion, or do I smell sarcasm, or a little of both? At any rate it is probably the wiser course of action that you don't.
No I don't believe you have the right to call a man a monkey when he has an Ivy League education. There is no such thing as a qualified opinion anyway, because no one has to pass a test to have one.

Sherona

There is very much such thing as a qualified opinion. It's different then just an opinion because one is educated, well thought out, has facts and evidence to tell why the person with the qualified opinion believes in his opinion..the other is just "Oh I think x" and thats it :)

Not quite sure where the monkey bit is coming from? But lets all take a breath :D

Inkidu

Quote from: Sherona on August 20, 2008, 08:49:24 AM
There is very much such thing as a qualified opinion. It's different then just an opinion because one is educated, well thought out, has facts and evidence to tell why the person with the qualified opinion believes in his opinion..the other is just "Oh I think x" and thats it :)

Not quite sure where the monkey bit is coming from? But lets all take a breath :D
Everyone has their opinion, and I guess if your a political annalist and paid to do so. You then have what is a qualified opinion. However, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Overlord is a paid professional political annalist. The word qualified means you are in essence licensed to do something. You are qualified to drive a car after passing the driving test.   

Sherona

Its the way qualified is used. Qualified can also mean Knowledgeable in a certain area. I, myself, probably could not make a qualified opinion on politics simply because I don't know anything about it other then Politicians really are the same...they all have it in them to lie, cheat, steal, to get what they want. Meh..I also have a low opinion of the human race in general ;)

However I am well qualified in making an opinion about say raising children, or pregnancy due to experiances I have had, due to my hands on training, due to the fact that I do my homework and research things before I make an opinion. But I never took a test on it *smiles*

Inkidu

Quote from: Sherona on August 20, 2008, 09:08:02 AM
Its the way qualified is used. Qualified can also mean Knowledgeable in a certain area. I, myself, probably could not make a qualified opinion on politics simply because I don't know anything about it other then Politicians really are the same...they all have it in them to lie, cheat, steal, to get what they want. Meh..I also have a low opinion of the human race in general ;)

However I am well qualified in making an opinion about say raising children, or pregnancy due to experiances I have had, due to my hands on training, due to the fact that I do my homework and research things before I make an opinion. But I never took a test on it *smiles*
I'm saying the way he use qualified in his sentence was poor word choice.

Sherona

I was saying that the way he used it could have been correct as well, just depends on how one looks at it. *smiles*

ShrowdedPoet

Ink, I'm just going to flat out say the way you reacted to Overlord was wrong, as I think that's what Sherona is trying to say as well I'm not alone in thinking this.  I will leave it at that.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on August 20, 2008, 02:49:27 PM
Ink, I'm just going to flat out say the way you reacted to Overlord was wrong, as I think that's what Sherona is trying to say as well I'm not alone in thinking this.  I will leave it at that.
I don't think so, that doesn't mean I'm right or that you are. However it just proves my point.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Inkedu on August 20, 2008, 02:54:07 PM
I don't think so, that doesn't mean I'm right or that you are. However it just proves my point.

And what point was that?  Please don't tell me that you are a relativist!?
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

The point is that you shouldn't bring up politics in a conversation. Check the first post. No I'm a realistic idealist.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Inkedu on August 20, 2008, 03:00:32 PM
The point is that you shouldn't bring up politics in a conversation. Check the first post. No I'm a realistic idealist.

. . .Well I did read that but I thought you were talking about a different point.  And I find you wrong again because there is nothing wrong with bringing up politics in a conversation, nothing at all!
Ons and Offs

Trieste

It really depends on the conversation, and with whom you are conversing. Politics, sex, and money are not polite conversation. And even then, you can usually swap out sex for religion... you're much less likely to be considered rude if you crack about sex (as in the act, not as in gender - that falls under politics) than if you crack about religion. ... which is something I find odd, in itself.

Those are things you are not supposed to bring up with strangers, in essence.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Trieste on August 20, 2008, 03:08:37 PM
It really depends on the conversation, and with whom you are conversing. Politics, sex, and money are not polite conversation. And even then, you can usually swap out sex for religion... you're much less likely to be considered rude if you crack about sex (as in the act, not as in gender - that falls under politics) than if you crack about religion. ... which is something I find odd, in itself.

I must have been brought up differently cause it's never been considered rude.  But he is posting in Politics and Religion, he should expect it to come up quite regularly AND he's on an Adult Role Play site so of course Sex comes up.
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: Trieste on August 20, 2008, 03:08:37 PM

Exactly.

Inkidu

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on August 20, 2008, 03:11:40 PM
I must have been brought up differently cause it's never been considered rude.  But he is posting in Politics and Religion, he should expect it to come up quite regularly AND he's on an Adult Role Play site so of course Sex comes up.
Yes well this started out in Comedy I was hoping for some Internet R serious business picks but humans always take things too seriously myself included.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Inkedu on August 20, 2008, 03:14:08 PM
Yes well this started out in Comedy I was hoping for some Internet R serious business picks but humans always take things too seriously myself included.

Didn't know it started out in comedy, I just know where it is now.
Ons and Offs

Sherona

It was moved nto because it was taken too seriously, but because it really wasn't comedy. Belonged here more then in comedy as the first post stood. If you wanted funny "This is serious" pics, which probably would haev made it Comical, then you might want to have posted a pic yourself, or ask for funny pics :)

Personally I wish I had a clip of the South park episode where Al Gore came and was trying to get people to believe in Man-Bear-Pig...."I'm serial!!" (Instead of "I'm Serious")

Inkidu

Quote from: Sherona on August 20, 2008, 03:23:28 PM
It was moved nto because it was taken too seriously, but because it really wasn't comedy. Belonged here more then in comedy as the first post stood. If you wanted funny "This is serious" pics, which probably would haev made it Comical, then you might want to have posted a pic yourself, or ask for funny pics :)

Personally I wish I had a clip of the South park episode where Al Gore came and was trying to get people to believe in Man-Bear-Pig...."I'm serial!!" (Instead of "I'm Serious")
Eh it was late. I tried I failed I move on.

Trieste

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on August 20, 2008, 03:11:40 PM

Could be a northeastern thing. New England is rather known for being very proper... to the point of having a rep for being stuck up in some other parts of the country. :)

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Trieste on August 20, 2008, 03:32:45 PM
Could be a northeastern thing. New England is rather known for being very proper... to the point of having a rep for being stuck up in some other parts of the country. :)

Well being southern in the state and central in the country I suppose it could be.  Could also have to do with my parents. . .they're kind of odd balls.  But I think I turned out pretty well.  I've only ever known one New Englander in RL and I didn't like her because she didn't use her brain very often.  I don't think that had to do with her being from New England though.  *laughs*
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: Trieste on August 20, 2008, 03:32:45 PM
Southern too. Dad's from Louisiana Mom's from Georgia. Oh well no real harm no real foul.