News:

Main Menu

Black Friday

Started by Caity, November 25, 2008, 12:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caity

Whooo's ready for Black Friday shopping?   :P

Ket

Heaven's no!  I won't step foot into a store on Friday.  Absolutely not.  I cannot stand the vicious crowds of ignorant people. 

-shudders at the thought-
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Caity

Awww..

I can't wait.. I love it.  :P

Maeven

I have never, ever, ever gone shopping on the day after Thanksgiving.  There is not one single cell in my body that has that desire.

On the bright side, that leaves all the sales to you!
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Caity

Hmph... It's the only time I actually like to shop.  :P

Kurzyk

Last year Kiara and her sister got up at 430a, jumped into the lines and were the first ones in the store. After 3 hours they came out with nothing they wanted and a whole lot of stress.

They're probably not going this year. heh

Caity

That's about what time I went last year too.  :P  The trick is to go for nothing in particular.  *lol*

Kurzyk

*laughs!* yes that's definetly the right approach. :)

Oniya

No, but we're ready for the 'working retail overtime'.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Revolverman

not spending money this year.

Dawg

Nope, hop in the Jeep with Puppy and Clancy, drive about an hour north of here, hop on a sleigh drawn hay wagon out into the woods, find a Christmas Tree, saw it down, ride on the sleigh back to the warming shed and have some hot chocolate, strap it to the roof and come home to decorate the house and Christmas Tree.  Tradition.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

The Overlord

Black Friday of 2000, Mechwarrior Vengeance released and I went into the masses with shoulders flaring to get my preorder. Usually only mecha or a good MMO can get me to do that.

Today, I have no interest. I won't satisfy corporate greed by adding the sales, and I'm in the closing weeks of a senior portfolio class, far too busy to hit shopping until next month.

Caity

Hmph.  Party poopers.  :P

Chris Brady

I'm Canadian, I don't do Black Friday.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Caity

How about boxing day?  Is that sort of an equivalent?...

Lilias

I'm not sure about here in the UK (didn't bother to go out and check last year), but in Greece Boxing Day is a holiday too, and everything is closed. Retail people deserve two days of rest in a row.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Boxing Day is the day after Christmas, though, so it wouldn't be a big 'holiday spending' day.  (Maybe holiday returning day, for that too-large puce sweater that your aunt always sends.)  Traditionally it was when you gave presents to those service people that you interacted with regularly during the year, like your postman, maid, or the grocery store clerk.

Black Friday is more of a retail invention than anything else, based in the days when people wouldn't even think of Christmas until after Thanksgiving.  These days, you see Christmas stuff in the stores as soon as the Halloween stuff is clearanced - if not sooner!

I don't know - do Canadians do a big shopping day after their Thanksgiving in October?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Caity

*embarrassed*  I can never remember what Boxing Day is, even though I have a good friend who is Canadian.  Maybe he goes shopping on Boxing Day?  *lol*

Oniya

I'm just an Anglophile.  I got an insane kick over the fact that Election Day and Guy Fawkes Day coincided this year.

RubySlippers

Its International Buy Nothing Day so I'm all ready to stay home, cuddle with my SO and make love on and off all day followed by movies and pizza ... already in the fridge on the pizza. I see no reason to fight crowds and blow money I can't afford on lots of things. All my gifts are bought already one gift per person something I spent all year picking out. My father is getting a leather coat, my mom a leather pocket bible circa the Civil War, my SO was tough I figured you can't go wrong with something pretty so bought her a Satin Robe and that is about it save for some stockings stuffed with little presents for all of them to.

Anyway they will have great deals all through Christmas why shop then?

Kurzyk

Well as it turns out Kiara is going shopping black friday with her sis, and this time not bringing a shopping list. They'll just grab whatever jumps out at them. hehe

Knowing me i'll probably be still awake at 4:30a when they leave.  ;D

Caity

Yay!  I'm glad I'm not the only Black Friday shopper.  :P

RubySlippers

With the economy the way it is I won't spend much anyway I'm cutting back hard this year save for the few presents I bought, the one thing we are looking for is a new TV that has digital but we are waiting to find a nice LCD one at a good price without oogles of people around.

We are not ungracious as a couple we donated $167 to a local charity that feeds the homeless on Thanksgiving figuring we would rather help others and not see 100 people go without a meal that day. So in a way we are giving to alot of people this holiday. And at least we have jobs to give to others many are not so fortunate.

Caity

I won't be spending a lot either... But it's still fun to go.  :P

LaBelleDame

I'll be working the closing shift of Black Friday in a gamestop.
I made sure to throw myself right on that, because last year, I worked a 13 hour shift, both open and close.
Opening is terrible, so many people are just not fun to deal with.
But as the day wears on, most people are just too tired to be rude.
I really should get me one of these.