Google Criticized as "Anti-American" for Tetris Logo

Started by Andy, June 10, 2009, 09:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Google has been criticized as "anti-American" for using a Tetris-style logo to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the famed videogame rather than marking the 65th anniversary of the Allied invasion of Normandy.

Political leaders gathered in France this weekend to mark the 65th anniversary of D-Day, the largest amphibious invasion in history that set the stage for the eventual end of the Second World War. Google, however, chose to commemorate a somewhat more nerdy birthday that just happened to fall around the same date: The 25th anniversary of the creation of Tetris, one of the most popular and enduring videogames ever made.

But Google's whimsical choice has left some observers unhappy. "Here we are on June 6, 2009 and, in its inimitable way, Google has decided to memorialize the important occasion by adding an image on its homepage depicting... the computer game Tetris," conservative columnist Warner Todd Huston wrote on NewsBusters.org. "Yes, it's far more important to Google to celebrate the anniversary of the invention of the video game Tetris than to memorialize D-Day. It just warms the heart, doesn't it?"

"I have to say, though, that this is no departure for Google, a firm that finds it nearly impossible to post images celebrating any American holidays or important milestones in American history," he continued. "So, what we have here is just one more example of Google's essentially anti-American policies."

Google also took heat from WorldNetDaily writer Drew Zahn, who said that Google has "a history of ignoring major American patriotic and religious holidays." He further noted that while company representative Sunny Gettinger said in 2007 that the special logos "tend to be lighthearted and often scientific in nature," Google has in the past used poppies to mark Remembrance Day and honor the war dead of Canada, Australia, Ireland and the U.K.

... Who Cares?!
Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Sabby

This is just a fine example of that American spirit I see slung around so much. If its not Pro-American, then its Anti-American!

Seriously though, while D-Day is still worth celebrating (us aussies were there too) Tetris is another event thats also very important to todays world. It helped create and spread the flood of media and entertainment we all take for granted today. Its a multi-billion dollar business.

And it also gave birth to the very same Xbox's that these whinies have sat their kids onto unsupervised while they run out to lynch Google. Irony!

Lithos

Maybe they have read or seen some of the accounts of people who actually lived in Normandy at Google. Germans were not the people who destroyed the area. If there are any things to glorify in WW2, they sure are not related to allied actions during Normandy invasion. The invasion was marred by ton of atrocities, they were small price for the eventual victory, that is true. It prevented much worse atrocities committed by Nazis.

People should not disrespect suffering of the people in the area by celebrating it each year though, at least not till all the people who lived at that time are dead. They had to keep their mouth shut for long years cause talking would have negative impact on the whole liberation mentality. Sure there are better things to do than to rub it in their face each year after the war.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8084210.stm

For some examples.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

ShrowdedPoet

Google is used by people everywhere, not just Americans.  Tetris is used by people everywhere. . .it equals out!
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Oniya

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on June 10, 2009, 10:46:17 AM
Google is used by people everywhere, not just Americans.  Tetris is used by people everywhere. . .it equals out!

I was thinking something like that.  Why should an internationally-used site be American-centered?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Doomsday

Heard about this the other day.

1.) It's not like everyone is going to forget about D-Day just because Google didn't cover it this year (although they probably commemorated D-Day every other year they've existed on June 6th).

2.) While Google is an American-based company, the internet is an INTERNATIONAL entity.

3.)The 25th anniversary is a much more celebrated number than the 65th.

Elayne

Having been alive 25 years, I cannot remember any specific commeration of the 60th anniversary of D-Day, nor the 55th.

I do remember the 50th, specifically because my grandfather (who was there) was asked to participate in a memorial ceremony in France as a D-Day survivor.  A small group of Canadian soldiers went back to Normandy Beach to commerate the event.

Aside from that, the D-Day landings have never really been specifically honored - It's not a national holiday, I can't recall any specific events or parades regarding it.  World War 2 has always been commerated on Remembrance Day, Memorial Day, and Veteran's Day.

As far as I can tell, this is first and only time that remembering D-Day has ever really been 'a thing'.  I'm pretty sure this is just a case of bored reporters trying to generate the news on a slow day.
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

Nimmy

Another possible reason why Google chose Tetris over D-Day: it's a video game. It's technology. Google thrives on technology. Without computers, there would be no internet and with no internet, there'd be no Google.

And yeah, going with what HPDDJ said, you typically don't celebrate any anniversaries other than ones like 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, etc.

OldSchoolGamer

Google hates us for our FREEDOM!!!1!!1!11!11!   ;D

Serephino

I've been alive for nearly twenty four years, and can't ever remember anything commemorating D-Day except a little note on a calendar.  And yes, the whole world uses the internet, so why should they be Pro-American.  If they were, they'd be criticized for not being foreigner friendly.  It's impossible to please everyone.

OldSchoolGamer

I for one am far more concerned with my corner gas station raising prices five times in the past two weeks than what Google does or does not commemorate on their Web site.  Tempest in a teacup...

Serephino

*nods*  Gas has gone up like 30 cents in the past month.  Can we say media distraction?  It's not working.  I drive past a gas station every day.

Nimmy

I do so much driving I fill up my tank once a month. And no, I don't have a fuel efficient car.

[/end off topic]

The Overlord

Just more proof of the stupidity that festers out there, and that the line between patriotism and stupidity is often very, very fine.

Look people, lack of observation does not automatically mean irreverence. Just because the world doesn't fall into your little misguided view of patriotism, baseball, and fucking apple pie doesn't mean it's Anti-American. Use that pissant little lump of grey matter that nature gave you, and for once in your life think.

HairyHeretic

Overlord, chill. Your word choice is doing nothing for your arguement, and I've no wish to see it causing any flare ups.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

The Overlord

It is just the delivery or the fact that you know I'm right but are loath to admit it? I can understand the language issue, but don't expect me to have an ounce of respect for the enigmatic ‘they’ who are always complaining about pointless things.

Oniya

Actually, looking through this thread, I don't see anyone disagreeing that the accusation against Google is idiotic.  There's a slim possibility that the generic 'you' could be misinterpreted as being directed towards the posters instead of at the nebulous 'They', however.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

If it was the profanity I apologize for it. *shrug Way I see it, a good four letter word is like an exclamation point, and probably better than posting in caps, which seems to annoy everyone, and that's one net and chat protocol that I still find humorous.

And by 'you' I meant Hairy, specifically. Once again I apologize for the profanity but can he dispute the truth of what I said?

Trieste

There was no dispute, OL, just a request to level it off instead of coming out swinging. No one is attacking you; no need for the pissant little grey matter, when we know you can be much more eloquent.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM; I'm loathe to dwell on a simple request and hijack the thread further.

Destiny Ascension

Pfft...

I have sincere doubts that those men stepped off landing craft into machine gun fire to be remembered by Google of all people...so...

Who gives a shit?

I don't see ANYONE putting up this much of a storm for Saipan, Guadalcanal, Tarawa or Okinawa.

The only way people need to remember is to not take what those men fought for for granted. Which, unfortunately, most of our country already does.
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

The Overlord

Quote from: Trieste on June 11, 2009, 03:24:52 PM
There was no dispute, OL, just a request to level it off instead of coming out swinging. No one is attacking you; no need for the pissant little grey matter, when we know you can be much more eloquent.

Sorry. Once again, my rant is against the mysterious 'they', whom I am loath to mince words with or over, as ‘they’ obviously don’t.  It's these media and societal watchdog groups that seem to make a career out of bitching about things that don't really matter.

QuoteBut Google's whimsical choice has left some observers unhappy

Reviewing that bit again, who exactly are 'some observers'? Seriously? Are they actual concerned citizens or a political group with a vendetta?

It's like the Reuters polls that are going during every major election- You have to ask if the statistics are being generated to reflect public opinions or to sway them? American media is designed like a root beer float sprinkled with crack, most of us end up desensitized by it and don't fathom how insidiously it can be misused.

Think about it…I sure do.

Silk

I suggest we ask these people to make a child friendly picture that google could have used for D-day, because a day about a war with thousands of deaths many more injuries, even more emotional traumas. Good luck making it appropiate for a site that can have people as young as 4 using it.

HairyHeretic

My comment was only in reference to the swearing, nothing more.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Avi

All of this is valid, and I can safely say that I agree with you all that this was a major overreaction. 

An argument that they may have used, however, is the fact that, if D-Day had failed, WWII might have turned out quite differently, and with it the modern world of which everyone is a citizen.  D-Day was one of three major turning points in the war where things could have gone VERY badly for the Allies if they'd not succeeded. 

Just my two cents here, but I think that there SHOULD be more recognition for the soldiers who gave their lives on that day.  This whole Tetris vs. D-Day thing is ridiculous, though
Your reality doesn't apply to me...