The Labyrinth - Interest Check

Started by Zazaz, March 04, 2015, 06:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zazaz

This is my first attempt at a group game so bear with me. I just love using stats on my RPs but never did a group game so I'm trying to run something... For the first time. I admit stealing this idea from another forum, something about it just clicked with me, I really find it cool.

The premise is simple:  In a certain fantasy kingdom, accused criminals have two options.  To face whatever harsh punishment the king decrees . . . or to dare the Labyrinth.  Any criminal who escapes the Labyrinth is not only cleared of all charges but also given a quantity of silver equivalent to a year's pay for for one of the king's soldiers.  (The Labyrinth is the only trial.  Any criminal refusing to dare the Labyrinth is automatically adjudged guilty.)

However, what prisoners face in the Labyrinth may make the punishments--even capital punishment--seem the better option.

• Monsters wander the Labyrinth.  They brutally rape anyone they catch.
  • Prisoners may have piercings and chains applied before entering the labyrinth, which hamper their freedom of movement.
  • All players will start at a random point along the edge of the labyrinth.
  • It is possible to map the Labyrinth.
  • Only one character per player.
  • Each portal is guarded by monsters that only let criminals through after being defeated or after raping them.  Most portals are false, either going nowhere or leading to a different part of the Labyrinth.  Only one allows true escape . . . but there's no way to know which one before trying it.
  • There is a safe area, in which prisoners can rest and eat and heal . . . for a time.  But the longer they remain there, the more monsters gather just outside.
  • There may be other prisoners wandering the same Labyrinth.  Other prisoners are potential allies, yes.  But they are also potential enemies.
  • There may be guards wandering the Labyrinth for their own amusement, who have the right to do anything they want to any prisoners they catch.
  • Guards do not know the labyrinth's layout.

Would you dare the Labyrinth?

How this works:

I will play the monsters in the Labyrinth, as GM.  You will play a character--either guard or prisoner--wandering the Labyrinth. There will be many types of monsters to be found in your Labyrinth, and death is a possible outcome, if that happens it's just like any D&D game, you either stop playing or re-roll a character.  There's the possibility of encountering other prisoners or guards, in that case players will roleplay normally between them but fight should be resolved with Dice.

Prisoners may interact in whatsoever way they like.  This includes helping each other . . . but it also includes pushing another prisoner toward a monster in order to avoid it yourself.

Prisoners will enter the Labyrinth nude.  Guards will have weapons with which they can fight the monsters . . . but if they lose the fight, they get raped anyway.  This will likewise be determined by dice rolls.  Guards may also use their weapons on any prisoners they encounter, or can fight other guards over specific prisoners or whatever.  Guards do get 1 recall scroll so they can leave the Labyrinth (or go to the safe area) at any time, but during combat will require 2 uninterrupted turns; prisoners don't but can steal from guards.

Dice Mechanics: I was trying to devise something simple with D20 but the more I thought about it, the more details I felt I needed to add and the more complex they became, up to the point that they almost mimicked D&D rules. So I'm torn, do I use some-kind of a personal adaptation to the D&D rules or should I create something really simple?

I do like stats and dice mechanics, but maybe D&D will be too much to handle? Your thoughts?

DarknessBorne

Quote from: misterg on March 04, 2015, 06:05:41 PM
This is my first attempt at a group game so bear with me. I just love using stats on my RPs but never did a group game so I'm trying to run something... For the first time. I admit stealing this idea from another forum, something about it just clicked with me, I really find it cool.

The premise is simple:  In a certain fantasy kingdom, accused criminals have two options.  To face whatever harsh punishment the king decrees . . . or to dare the Labyrinth.  Any criminal who escapes the Labyrinth is not only cleared of all charges but also given a quantity of silver equivalent to a year's pay for for one of the king's soldiers.  (The Labyrinth is the only trial.  Any criminal refusing to dare the Labyrinth is automatically adjudged guilty.)

However, what prisoners face in the Labyrinth may make the punishments--even capital punishment--seem the better option.

• Monsters wander the Labyrinth.  They brutally rape anyone they catch.
  • Prisoners may have piercings and chains applied before entering the labyrinth, which hamper their freedom of movement.
  • All players will start at a random point along the edge of the labyrinth.
  • It is possible to map the Labyrinth.
  • Only one character per player.
  • Each portal is guarded by monsters that only let criminals through after being defeated or after raping them.  Most portals are false, either going nowhere or leading to a different part of the Labyrinth.  Only one allows true escape . . . but there's no way to know which one before trying it.
  • There is a safe area, in which prisoners can rest and eat and heal . . . for a time.  But the longer they remain there, the more monsters gather just outside.
  • There may be other prisoners wandering the same Labyrinth.  Other prisoners are potential allies, yes.  But they are also potential enemies.
  • There may be guards wandering the Labyrinth for their own amusement, who have the right to do anything they want to any prisoners they catch.
  • Guards do not know the labyrinth's layout.

Would you dare the Labyrinth?

How this works:

I will play the monsters in the Labyrinth, as GM.  You will play a character--either guard or prisoner--wandering the Labyrinth. There will be many types of monsters to be found in your Labyrinth, and death is a possible outcome, if that happens it's just like any D&D game, you either stop playing or re-roll a character.  There's the possibility of encountering other prisoners or guards, in that case players will roleplay normally between them but fight should be resolved with Dice.

Prisoners may interact in whatsoever way they like.  This includes helping each other . . . but it also includes pushing another prisoner toward a monster in order to avoid it yourself.

Prisoners will enter the Labyrinth nude.  Guards will have weapons with which they can fight the monsters . . . but if they lose the fight, they get raped anyway.  This will likewise be determined by dice rolls.  Guards may also use their weapons on any prisoners they encounter, or can fight other guards over specific prisoners or whatever.  Guards do get 1 recall scroll so they can leave the Labyrinth (or go to the safe area) at any time, but during combat will require 2 uninterrupted turns; prisoners don't but can steal from guards.

Dice Mechanics: I was trying to devise something simple with D20 but the more I thought about it, the more details I felt I needed to add and the more complex they became, up to the point that they almost mimicked D&D rules. So I'm torn, do I use some-kind of a personal adaptation to the D&D rules or should I create something really simple?

I do like stats and dice mechanics, but maybe D&D will be too much to handle? Your thoughts?

I like the core concept.  My caution to you would be that a storyline that's nothing more than serial rape by miscellaneous baddies would get old quickly.  That, and there's not much roleplay potential if characters remain nude and are unable to acquire anything.

This could be mitigated by taking a somewhat more expansive view of what the Labyrinth is.  Rather than being a physical maze, it could be a series of harrowing experiences and encounters in realistic situations, that would feature some NPCs and other flora and fauna.  Think of the initiation for prospective Aes Sedai in Wheel of Time, if you've ever read that series. 
Currently OPEN to new RPs.

Zazaz

Quote from: DarknessBorne on March 04, 2015, 06:14:01 PM
I like the core concept.  My caution to you would be that a storyline that's nothing more than serial rape by miscellaneous baddies would get old quickly.  That, and there's not much roleplay potential if characters remain nude and are unable to acquire anything.

This could be mitigated by taking a somewhat more expansive view of what the Labyrinth is.  Rather than being a physical maze, it could be a series of harrowing experiences and encounters in realistic situations, that would feature some NPCs and other flora and fauna.  Think of the initiation for prospective Aes Sedai in Wheel of Time, if you've ever read that series.

It's already a bit overwhelming for me just thinking about all that I have to set up and oversee and I do understand what you're getting at, but I'd like you to see it more like, a board game than a roleplay, in short a board game with roleplay elements, Yes, I'm focusing in the combat and rapes, but I think I failed to transmit, because I never explained the mechanics, is that I intend for slaves to be able to acquire stuff on the way, otherwise unless they were humanoids of colossal size and strength, they would always lose fights with monsters and either get killed or raped. I'm going to draw the Labyrinth, place each player at one point at random, I will decide where the portals are and where the final portal is, before the game starts. Therefore, mapping will be possible.

As for creating an ethereal/changing labyrinth, It seems to much hassle for a first try, I really want to keep this simple/small for a first time. Like I said I'm trying to create something more of a board game with roleplay elements, players can eventually meet up and that will hopefully create fun situations, not to mention prisoners will know beforehand that guards have a Recall Scroll and that it can be taken from them. As for ways of being able to acquire stuff, I'm still thinking about it, but mostly treasure chests, corpses to loot, locked doors are all things I thought about, including traps may be too much.

Autocad

Posting interest to get the ball rolling!

Max

"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Sol Lua

An interesting idea, I'll play when you get it up and running.

Uebelator

Id be interested in playing too, if you can set it up.

Dominique

Expressing interest. I like the concept of an actual maze, if worked out well I expect this to be a really interesting game :)

Prince Truhan

abandoneddolly

oh I would be interested I toyed with concepts like this before.

summoner2183

scribus1000

I've seen the forum from which this game was made. I never entered it, but the premise was very interesting to me.

I bookmarked it then, and I'm bookmarking this now. My question though, is how much content should we expect? It tended to get, eh...brutal as time went on. This will end up in extreme, correct?
I have taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RPs.
My Ons & Offs (Updated 6/3/2022) and Ideas are here.

The Peak Elliquiy Experience™:
Quote from: roulette on March 15, 2014, 06:59:18 PM"What? Ewww... Well, maybe... actually." -adds to own O&Os-

Biles

I'm keeping an eye on this one. I'm hoping that if there is a system set up in place, that it won't be too complicated but rather it would be very simplistic to keep in memory. I often avoid system-based RPs.
[tr][td]
Denai Academy
Student: Amara Yochumaru[/td][/tr][tr][td]Zootopia: Hybrid Theory
Animal: Mocha[/td][/tr][tr][td]The Run
Hunted: Xuna Bladereaver[/td][/tr][/table]