Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James

Started by Damnedangel, April 22, 2012, 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Safyre

So a relative of mine wrote to me, and said he was reading Fifty Shades of Grey.” 

He's in prison.  Federal, maximum security prison.  In Texas.  He can't own a picture of a woman's "vitals" showing (nipples or vagina).  The book is not contraband there.  It's in the prison library.

Convicted rapists, domestic violence perps, child molesters, and violent criminals who target women can freely read Fifty Shades of Grey.

And I never thought I'd hear an argument for censorship I'd agree with.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Silverfyre

Star Safyre

My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remy on December 09, 2012, 10:49:30 AM
I've just found out my kids have got me a Kindle for Christmas, and for no reason other than all the talk about it here, I might see if any of my friends have a copy they'd allow me download to it so I can have a look for myself.  But I won't be buying it, as I just cant bring myself to spend good money on something that seems to be so badly received in general.

Sorry it's Random House.. ie.. 'You can't loan it out' for the Kindle. You can check to see if it's 'borrowable' as a ebook from your local library.

AndyZ

No idea if this was already posted here, but if it wasn't, figured y'all would need to see this:

Fifty Shades of Takei
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

persephone325

That made me laugh a lot more than it probably should have.

ROFLMAOPMP!!!!
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Oniya

Me:  'Ohhh, myyy!'
Mr. Oniya:  'What did George do now?'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

persephone325

HAHAHA!!!

I would so buy the audio tape of him reading that book. rofl I'm seriously crying.
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Oneiros

The other day I went to the mall and noticed a new sex toy shop. At first I was all excited to check it out until I got close enough and saw this:

I was so offended I told my husband if he went in there, I would divorce him >.>

persephone325

I wouldn't blame you! The more I hear people exclaim how great and amazing the book is, the more I want to punch them in the face and kick them in the genitals...
I don't know.

Chris Brady

Quote from: persephone325 on December 22, 2012, 02:47:32 PM
I wouldn't blame you! The more I hear people exclaim how great and amazing the book is, the more I want to punch them in the face and kick them in the genitals...
And when people look at you in pain and ask you why you did that, you can tell them that this trilogy and Twilight does the exact same thing to women's rights.

For the record, people, when I expressed my misgivings as to what this book would do to our lifestyle and the 'damage' it can do, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS ELUDING TO!

Movies?  Stupid sheeple proclaiming it's dreamy and romantic?  Stars/celebs endorsing this crap?  You think this doesn't hurt us?  Or the perception of us?

I'm just happy that all of us here on E are well educated in general, as well as educated on the lifestyle this book promotes incorrectly and harmfully.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Driskoll

Not sure if this has already been shown here, but I figured someone may get a kick out of this. I don't know what the object of the game is, but if it's to create awkward silences at friendly gatherings, I'd say we have a winner.

Caehlim

Quote from: Michi No Sora on August 13, 2012, 09:46:24 PM
As I told a friend on Facebook about it:

I'm pretty sure someone can come up with a better sex scene than that just throwing darts at a dictionary and putting the random words into a paragraph.

"Armchair hawk underearned cyanopia vagient imidazolate. Penza genetic materials longevities cyclorelease."

I'd say it's about a draw. Though I must admit the cyclorelease of genetic materials does sound pretty damn dirty.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Sabby

Quote from: Caehlim on December 23, 2012, 12:00:27 AM
"Armchair hawk underearned cyanopia vagient imidazolate. Penza genetic materials longevities cyclorelease."

Hot >.<

Aleph

Quote from: Caehlim on December 23, 2012, 12:00:27 AM

Oh myyyy!

*shifty look* Excuse me, I must be alone for a moment....  :P

Aleph

Quote from: Fedora on December 22, 2012, 02:44:23 PM
The other day I went to the mall and noticed a new sex toy shop. At first I was all excited to check it out until I got close enough and saw this:

I was so offended I told my husband if he went in there, I would divorce him >.>

Admittedly, I was kind of shrugging until I saw the numbers...

Fedora, may I ask what monetary unit you're dealing with? Because if it's north american or Australian dollars, there's two reasons...

1) The sum total would leave with change from $1200
2) The blindfold alone is $230. I don't care if it's the finest Patagonian lambskin, it's two hundred and thirty dollars for a blindfold!! One hundred and thirty for the feather duster!

Personally I can only think they're making assumptions about the people who read E. L. James' work. (The marvellous Mr. Takei notwithstanding of course ;) )

-A

Caehlim

Quote from: Aleph on December 23, 2012, 06:08:36 AM
Admittedly, I was kind of shrugging until I saw the numbers...

Fedora, may I ask what monetary unit you're dealing with? Because if it's north american or Australian dollars, there's two reasons...

Those are prices?!

I had assumed they were some sort of catalog number or reference code. (which obviously they're not now that I think about it because there are different ones with the same number next to them).
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Oneiros

Im not in America so the prices are in NOK. ;) I was curious how long it would take someone to go "They want how much for a butt plug?! This is an outrage!"

The actual things depicted on that are very, very, VERY cheap, adjusted for exchange rate and how much things cost here. I didn't even go into the store, but I imagine they were crappy flimsy plastic crap.

ETA: Also! My husband seems somewhat bemused by my utter hatred of this book. He doesn't seem to get why it bothers me so much. At first he thought it was funny, and would tease me about it, then would be utterly confounded when his joking would be met with very real anger. I offer this in a general response.

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/71404802.html?thread=12577773314#t12577773314

Read the specific comment I linked to, not the main post.

Reading that had me squirm, and definitely NOT in a good way. It gives me a tightness in my chest that is most unpleasant. Yes, reading excerpts from this book PHYSICALLY hurts me. Why? Because I cannot stand seeing that kind of abuse romanticized and defended. How can people read this book and try to say this man is not horribly abusive? I grew up in a household that was abusive and controlling, and seeing people swoon at reading this kind of crap makes me physically sick.

Aleph

Ah!! I had figured it might at least be Euro, but the Norwegian Krone I hadn't counted on, primarily because the sign is in English. :) (Folks, currently AUD 1.0 = USD 1.04 and NOK 1.0 = AUD 0.17)

I agree with your stance on 50 Shades... My take on it (for someone who, admittedly, hasn't read it) started with a serious review -Jenny Diski's in the London Review Of Books-  panning the Twilight Series for centering on a weak-willed girl who is seduced by a centuries old vampire (who apparently likes hanging around high schools...) and effectively pays a karmic price for getting pregnant to him (slut-shaming much?). Then someone writes a D/s fanfic about all this, rubs out the names and markets it as an-original-story-and-i'll-sue-anyone-who-says-otherwise.

Personally, if I wanted erotica I'd head for Anais Nin, if I wanted D/s fun I'd head for John Willie and the only good thing I can think of to say about the series is that it's being translated into languages I don't speak, thus increasing the chances that might somehow avoid reading it by accident.

Hmm, that came out a bit ranty, sorry if I've rubbed anyone the wrong way.

Oniya

Quote from: Aleph on December 23, 2012, 07:12:42 AM
Hmm, that came out a bit ranty, sorry if I've rubbed anyone the wrong way.

You haven't read the rest of the thread, have you? ;D  Speak, friend, and enter!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Silverfyre

With Fifty Shades, I think we all become a bit ranty pants.

Jag

So, I've been reading 'Story of O' and I noticed that there is a second book to it. I went to look it up on Amazon and I don't think I can bring myself to buy it because it says 'Fifty Shades of Grey' on the cover. Even the cover is very 'Fifty Shades of Grey' looking...I wonder if there is an ebook version...>.>
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

I don't know why I thought de Sade wrote that one.

You might inquire of the people selling the used copies.  The book's been around, and obviously a pre-FSOG cover wouldn't reference it.

I was amused by the one review at Amazon:  'I couldn't wait to read it, until I got a look at the cover.  The 50 Shades of Grey reference was a complete turn-off and completely misleading.'

Jag

After a bit of looking around on Amazon, I was able to find a copy with a flat black cover and just the title in white writing. I had to first find the original title of the book (Story of O Part II apparently isn't the original title) and search for it that way:

Return to the Chateau

And it's shipped and sold by Amazon, so I can use my discount and free shipping on it. Woot!

I did find that review amusing. *snerks*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

Maybe with a cover like that, you won't have to hide it!  ;)