[D&D 3.5 high-level evil campaign] Project Blackguard

Started by Autocad, December 01, 2012, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 06, 2012, 12:42:56 PM
Aye, spells/magic is useful for disguises.

Anyways my char specializes likely to act up 'front' as a villain for the hero and use magical means preserve himself while taking deathblows (or fake/feign his own death in dramatic fashion). As vampire though it limits the stages where my char can act so in beginning he likely works as unseen mastermind (dominate person someone to act as villain example).

For a little while I'm limited to vampire spawn when I need minions that think for themselves. My Broken ones can be very powerful, but they are mindless so they won't be very subtle.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Kunoichi

Quote from: Kimera on December 06, 2012, 12:37:48 PM
Ok that throws out my first ideas (glabrezu or alkalith)

I'll look into something that could pass more easily as a human then

There's always the iconic Mindflayer as a nice option.  Take the Psionic Mindflayer option from the Expanded Psionics Handbook and you'd be a nice telepathic powerhouse, too. ^^

Hmm.  Or if you don't mind not having class levels at the start of the game, you could be a Psionic Ulitharid from Lords of Madness, and basically be a super-Illithid...

Kimera

Those are also interesting proposals Kunoichi. I'll have a look at those

Kunoichi

Yeah, either way you can wind up with a manifester level of 13, though with the Illithid, you'd also get some class levels on top of that.

The Ulitharid winds up with better base stats, though, and it has more tentacles. ;D Plus, if we ever come across an Illithid community in-game, you'll have a nice roleplaying advantage, too.

Kimera

True

Other things I was considing: Naga, Phaerimm, or the formentioned Alkalith or Glabrezu

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Kimera on December 06, 2012, 05:03:00 PM
True

Other things I was considing: Naga, Phaerimm, or the formentioned Alkalith or Glabrezu

Cmon, even we have standards for cheese. ;D

Kimera

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kimera on December 06, 2012, 05:28:46 PM
One can always try  ;D

Yeah, Phaerimm is up there with infinite wish tricks,  using planed with different time traits, and infinite stacking loops. That level just under things like infinite actions with symbiont or anything that uses manipulate form.

We seem to be heading up for a "polymorph optimization" level of OP

Marie Reynolds

Hmm this could be fun are you still taking people on?

TheGlyphstone

We've already got five, plus Kimera's interest. I don't know how many people Autocad will take.

Marie Reynolds

Thats cool if it comes to that i am willing to chill on a waiting list.

Kunoichi

So, did we ever get an answer on whether or not we're allowed flaws? ^^; I ask because I've started on my character sheet, and if flaws are allowed, I'm planning to take a couple of feats that grant skills at first level...

TheGlyphstone

Flaws, and what the deal with cohorts is. Those are the important questions right now.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 06, 2012, 09:16:21 PM
So, did we ever get an answer on whether or not we're allowed flaws? ^^; I ask because I've started on my character sheet, and if flaws are allowed, I'm planning to take a couple of feats that grant skills at first level...

I say grab them for character creation but don't make them things that branch out so if we have to remove them it isn't too difficult. That being said do help me put in a good cause for them if we must. Feats are way to rare in 3.5 and so many of the few we do get we can't enjoy because they are "taxes" to get something else.

I'm not suggesting the DM agree with my personal ideas on flaws (beyond, "yes they are fine"), but I dislike them because they are boring. Unlike the nuanced White Wolf merit/flaw system the flaws in D&D are more "What mechanical penalty will I not notice, I need those feats to actualize my character". Even strictly optimized feat selection helps flesh out and define a character (If you take spell focus it shows a preference for a school and style of magic, ect). The flaws don't even get that treatment even though I pick Vulnerable because for a delicate scantily clad nymph it makes sense it's not likely going to come through to anyone else. In short everyone needs more feats so we turn to flaws to help fix the starvation we suffer rather than because we like the concept. (Conversely some of the traits are actually interesting. Even if the effect is too minimal to be noticed)
I'm unlikely to run a game but if I did id probably just either use pathfinder feat progression (where they come a little more often) or just throw out two extra feats (like one at level 1 one at level 5) to alleviate the suffering, then ban flaws.

TheGlyphstone

I only like Flaws when it's all-material-3.5 game, so you can pick ones other than the default list available in Unearthed Arcana. Dragon Magazine had a whole bunch of flaws published during its run, some of which are quite entertaining and can add interesting flavor, in addition to being actual serious flaws in most cases (flaws with actual prerequisites).

http://realmshelps.net/datafind/feats.shtml

Select the 'Flaws' category and search.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 06, 2012, 10:21:53 PM
I only like Flaws when it's all-material-3.5 game, so you can pick ones other than the default list available in Unearthed Arcana. Dragon Magazine had a whole bunch of flaws published during its run, some of which are quite entertaining and can add interesting flavor, in addition to being actual serious flaws in most cases (flaws with actual prerequisites).

http://realmshelps.net/datafind/feats.shtml

Select the 'Flaws' category and search.

Those are actually amusing. I knew of some of them from my collection of dragon magazines.

Kunoichi

Yeah, I'd totally take Magical Fascination and Loner if flaws were allowed. ^^ They'd really help me realize my character a bit better.

PaleEnchantress

I'm seeing quite a few that would fit Tristeria well.  Metal Intolerance (exceptionally pure fey blood), Phantom Spark (a side effect of blinding beauty), Slow Healing (Addicted to draining others for healing), Skulker (A master manipulator, but heaven forbid someone break past the wall of minions), and Fussy (self explanatory). 

ExisD

Though they're pretty bad in regards to optimization I'm pretty sure Aligned Devotion and Brash would be what is in character for what I'm thinking.

Kimera

So NO on the Phaerimm then, I could always take a sharn  :P

I could always take on of the demons, to accompany the lovely succubi present so far :3

Perhaps I also should base my choise a bit on what we still need in the group?

Kunoichi

Quote from: Kimera on December 07, 2012, 02:43:07 AM
Perhaps I also should base my choise a bit on what we still need in the group?

I don't think there's anything that we specifically need anymore, but you could probably find a niche that we don't have filled yet.  I know we've got a distinct lack of divine casting, for example, so something with innate Druid or Cleric spellcasting wouldn't be a problem...

I imagine a fallen Ghaele Eladrin would be fun, but I'm not entirely sure if the GM would be comfortable with having one of the PCs run around with at least 14 levels of Cleric casting at ECL 12. >>;

Kimera

Some dragons have divine spells if I'm not mistaken (Linnorm I think, but they might be too high in the HD)

Some Naga as well.

A beholder might also be weird but fun

ExisD

Dragons get their casting when their HD is in the double digits. Looking up the base ones I'd forgotten that they're another category of monster where the good ones are better by default.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Kimera on December 07, 2012, 12:44:37 PM
A beholder might also be weird but fun

Too many HD and no listed LA anywhere. ^^; Believe me, I checked.

Hmm.  Given that Pale was allowed to swap a Nymph's innate Druid casting for Wizard casting, perhaps you could simply try picking your favorite monster from this list of monsters with innate spellcasting and then see if its innate casting could be switched over to that of a Cleric or Druid?  That might lead to an interesting character concept...