Superpowers - Blessing Or Curse (starting again cos it hit a brick wall)

Started by Lady Jenn, August 15, 2011, 03:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haztur

Clarice just nods considering the implications, and making a mental note for future research.

"Well then you want me to plant something in a computer in the office or you want to use your computers and let me know before you break something and are caught?"And with a mischievous smiles. "And can I have another milkshake while we are in that?"
"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained"
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

"Sure you can," Cypher said, laughing. "Riley can do this one though."

"Fine," Riley said. "Just don't blame me if this isn't as good as yours was Cypher." He headed towards the milkshake machine as Cypher turned to Clarice.

"I've got a computer that can find a little..." He paused, wondering how to phrase what he was about to say. "Let's just say there's a way into the CIA mainframe they should be glad only me and Riley know about," he said, a wry smile on his face. "We can monitor it from here easily enough. This is where I have a small confession to make," he said, reaching into his jacket and pulling out a CIA ID card. "I was an agent too, up until 15 years ago. Its why I know so much about all this, this was my job for a while."

Haztur

Clarice smills at Riley's answer and began accompanying Cypher listening to him intently, realizing immediately how much she would be abl to learn from both men.

"So you never left home, you just don't let them know you are here, right?" Clarice smiles to the small man, "I have the impression that I just jump into the rabbit's hole and I am just beginning to learn how deep it goes. Well Mr. rabbit, I follow you into wonderland."
"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained"
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

He vanished into the back room to get his computer, handing Riley his card as he returned past him. As Riley walked over to him he had a look of disbelief on his face.

"Cypher's name probably doesn't mean a whole lot to you," Riley said to Clarice. "But when I joined the CIA Ben Masterson was a legend of the agency. Officially he died in unknown circumstances, wonder what they'd think to know he's been sat within a mtter of kilometres of his old office without their knowledge."

"I don't know about legend," Cypher said as he fired the computer up. "I was part of the Hero Hunters, became their mentor not long after the team was originally formed. The reason I quit was twofold: Disgust at the realisation of what the team was really doing and the realisation that, with my powers becoming harder to hide, I might become their next target. The irony is the last two years before I 'died' the CIA were hunting a suspected threat who, unknown to them, was actually me," he laughed at his last comment. The CIA login screen appeared on the screen. "This is where you come in Clarice, can't guarantee my log-in will work. Don't worry, no-one will see what you're doing, hopefully anyway.

Haztur

For a moment she feel again like a schooolgirl among her teachers, listening tol old story, one quite exiting and interesting, the game of spies after all is a very dangerous one. But when she is asked about to enter with her login, she doubts for a moment, well she had trusted them up to here, so she might do it anyway, is not like she could go back as if nothing happened.

She types her user and password in the keyboard, hoping its not a mistake an lets them enter to the system. "My clearance is no particularly high but you might find something useful."
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

"There are ways round security clearance," Cypher said, grinning. "The CIA haven't invented a firewall I can't find my way round yet." He began searching through the mainframe, trying first Hero Hunters and then, when that failed, trying Archangel. A whole list of files appeared, a mixture of images and word documents. "Damn, this might take a while." He opened a file, showing an infrared satellite image showing a massive heat signature.

"Clarice," Riley said. "That's the Archangel. By the looks of it this shot is a matter of weeks old, that thing is still active, but what the hell is it doing that far down to give off that much heat?"

"No idea," Cypher replied. "But someone's monitoring that ship, there are diary entries on this mainframe. Someone's gone to a lot of fuss to avoid someone seeing this."

Haztur

"So no information is really safe for the likes of you Cy?" Clarice ask in a funny way, but the image of the Archangel grab her eyes "Cy, do you knwo any way to track this certain person? And yes we need to learn what does that do?"
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

"I can certainly try," Cypher said, searching further into the files. "This is stuff they had to invent a whole new security level for, not sure the President knows about this." He opened one particular file and let out a gasp of surprise.

"What is it?" Riley asked.

"They've been communicating with the crew of the Archangel," he said, amused and Riley's confused look. "There are people on that ship, by the looks of it they've been trying to get information and technology from the ship. No idea how they're gonna do that from a ship that far below the water though. Think we might need to copy these files, gonna take too long to search them all on the mainframe."

Haztur

"We need to learn how they are communicating, I will help you search the files to see if there is something more useful..." says as she takes out her jacket preparing for the the night's work, forgetting completely her own reports.

"What if the poeple from the archangel can actualy leave there? I mean they are supposed to be super advanced, maybe they are manipulating people in the goverment and they are sending information to keep their leverage?"
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

"Its possible," Cypher replied. "But then that ship could be capable of wiping entire cities off the face of the Earth, why leave it down there unless they have something they either want or need to hide. We don't know who sent them here so we can only guess at what its purpose is," he said, beginning to copy files onto the computer. "We're probably breaking a whole load of laws here, so feel free to blame it on me if they find us," he said, laughing.

"And what does all this have to do with the powers appearing?" Riley asked, scratching his chin thoughtfully. "The odds that the fact they started appearing just after that thing landed being a coincidence are pretty damn long from where I'm stood."

Haztur

Clarice giggles at Cypher's comment and looking at him michievously "If they catch us, I will say you tied me and forced me at gun point to give myou my information."

Then more seriously she podnders about Riley's words. "Thinking out of the box we have 2 logical options, either the ship caused them... or" she does make a dramatic pause, "lets say it comes from the future, if its that so they would have known where the this powers begin appearing, with that they just needed to send a ship just in time to see them appear... for what?" she just shruggs "in case I am not worng that would be the secret of archangel, maybe they are studying a way to control or recreate them... its only a long shot guess."
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

"Well its no worse a suggestion than any others we have," Cypher said, grinning ruefully. "There's got to be some hint in these files somewhere surely?"

"Wait a second," Riley said, who had been sat looking at the infrared picture of the Archangel. "There's a whole lot of heat coming off that thing but most of it is focused on one specific are," he pointed to one corner of the ship showing deep red. "Anyone want to guess what that is?"

"Engines maybe, or some kind of power core," Riley replied. "But that seems a weird place for it to be. Plus if its motionless at the bottom of the ocean why would it be using that much power?"

Haztur

Clarice looks at the screen thinking "actually it looks like the place you would put a weapon of some kind... or an antenna, if they are sending something out to change the world OR checking information I suppose it would be put there, and hy so much energy? Well you have said it, its quite deep below the sea, to pass all that barrier you would need a lot of energy." Checks the date of the image and ask Cypher too search for any document for that date. "It also could be a particular and especific event."
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

"Whatever it is someone is up to something on there," Cypher said. "That much energy isn't just seeping into the water around it, someone would notice."

"Wait, open that file," Riley said suddenly, pointing to a file marked 'For Official Eyes Only'. "That never means someone's shopping list. Of course it could be a red herring in case anyone hacked into here." Cypher double clicked the file, which contained only one short paragraph:

Archangel is nearing readiness, the crew have confirmed the process is nearly complete. We have requested they speed up as the Event, if they are right, is a matter of weeks away. We are continuing to monitor Titan as we speak.

"Well," Cypher said, a stunned look on his face, "something tells me whatever that means its very VERY bad news for us."

Haztur

"Cypher, do you know what or who is Titan? Everything makes it sound like it might be Breaker, but of course it could be something entirely different..." said Clarice. "But whatever it is sounds bad indeed."

Clarice needs thoroughly, "who had access to that file? I mean there might be time that we move up the ladder even if it means breaking some covers...  we need to know what is happening."
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

"Its Saturn's moon Titan," Riley replied, catching Cypher off guard with his quick answer. "They got NASA to launch a satellite a few years back but it was only ever pointed at Titan. I couldn't get a straight answer why and I get the impression they dodge any questions about it."

"This has been accessed by only three people...ever," Cypher said. "One we can't use because I know for a fact he's been dead near enough ten years. The other two are some guy called Torrance, can't find his first name, and the head of the CIA himself."

"There's a bigger question," Riley said. "What's 'the Event'? It can't be the emergence of powers because that implies it hasn't happened yet and this file was only edited a month ago."

<I've gotta go off for a bit, I shall be back asap though :)>

Haztur

Clarice for a moment feels silly thinking that it was some kind of super human, but Riley is right NASA has being doing a lot of investigations but she was always curious why Jupiter's moons of course NASA was mentioning that it was to learn more of the solar system, but right now she could only think in nefarious reasons.

"I suppose we are not getting anything from the man himself, so we might have to approach this Torrence man, maybe if we can find him we will be able to find a way to get close to him and then learn more." She smiles nervously thinking in one way that might work.
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

"He's the safest person to try contacting," Cypher said, nodding. "Riley, I think you need to take Clarice upstairs, there's something she needs to see."

"Wha-" Riley started saying before Cypher interrupted him.

"Look at her necklace Riley," Cypher said. "We both know where we've seen that before."

Haztur

Clarice nodded to Cypher comment and was stranged when Riley ws about to complain, she thought it might be for the posibility of having to meet this Torrence, but Cypher's mention about her necklace was more surprising, she had it for as far as she could remmeber.

"What about my necklace?" she asked, true curiosity on her eyes.
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

"I don't see what you mean, its just..." Riley started saying before he saw the necklace. "I'll bring it down here Cypher, I'd feel a bit weird taking her up to your bedroom to be honest with you." He disappeared out of the room as Cypher turned to face her.

"There are only one other necklace like that to my knowledge in the entire world," he said as he continued copying the files they needed. "It belonged to a young man I knew about six years ago. He came here on the run from the Hunters, he gave it to me saying the person who deserved it would come to me one day. He left and I've not seen him sice, I can only assume the worst considering who followed him."

Riley reappeared with an almost identical necklace to hers in one hand.

"Did you have a twin brother?" Cypher asked. "This guy looked remarkably like you."

Haztur

Clarice looks a bit confused while caresing her necklace, the golden cross surrounded by roses made of ruby stones was a gift of her mother (at least that is what she remembers) to Marcus and her. She was so confused that she missed the opportunity to tease Riley about his room comment.

Her full body is trembling when she learns of what Cypher is telling her, that maybe Marcus is, she had always hopped to see him again, but she hadn't feel him for a long while, not know anything at all, still she doesn't want to believe it, at east not until she sees the necklace in Riley's hands.

"Yes... Marcus." But before she can explain anything else she takes the necklace from Riley, the necklace is the same, even missing one of the rubies, the one she fixed in a  ring as to have something of him with her after he disappeared... but as she touches the necklace a bunch of images came unbidden to her mind, as if seen by her own eyes she can see herself on the run, looking at a younger Riley while offering the necklace to Cypher (who looks the same) as if he was giving him the most precious thing in the world to the only man he could thrust... then her mind filled just with emotions, fear, pain, tiredness... then only darkness.

And as if herself had been punched, the shock of the experience, too much for a day considering what she had learned was too much for her mind, so it popped out. And she felt unconscious to the ground, her mind trying to recover and actually process that maybe her bother was really dead.
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

Cypher moved quickly enough to catch her before she hit the floor, trying to make her comfortable as Riley went and got a glass of water.

"We should ask Myst," Riley said. "If there's any chance her brother is still alive somewhere he'll know."

"I know," Cypher replied. "But we'll have to find him first, he doesn't do phone or email."

Haztur

Clarice opened her eyes completely confused about her surroundings, taking the glass of water as it was offered to her and drinking from it. Only then she realiced she was sitting in the floor and with Cypehr's arms supporting her. She tried to stand, but stopped when the she felt the room move.

"Sorry, didn't want to make an scene." Waits there until she feels better to move to a chair and a table, having being unconscious during the discussion she knows nothing about Myst. She wants to ask more about her brother but just cries in silence.
-Mark Twain

Lady Jenn

"We may have a way of finding him," Cypher said. "There's a chance he may still be alive, but...it won't be easy."

"When we said the CIA had no supernatural way to track people we missed out one detail," Riley continued, handing her a glass of water. "They did a long time ago, a young blind man who came to be known as Myst who could track anyone with powers anywhere on Earth. He left the CIA in the early 90s when he realised what they were using his powers for and he's been in hiding since. If we can find him there's a chance, should your brother still be alive, that he will find him."

Haztur

She nods slightly "its a chance, but a very small one, right? specially since we need to look for this Myst. So what should we do, we look for this Myst-guy or do we try to approach Torrence" She says feeling mightly tired. She wants to search for her brother but sheknows there a lot mor at stake here.
-Mark Twain