Why should we be happy with downsizing governement?

Started by Callie Del Noire, July 17, 2012, 01:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPd98CbbMk[/noembed]  *whistles innocently*

Anyways, I have a hard time swallowing any plan that involves a multi-decade-long timetable as 'a sure fix'.  Among many other things (the mathematically complex system that is the world economy first and foremost), it also depends on the next 4+ Presidents and 19+ Congresses sticking to 'The Plan', and that's only assuming two decades.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on August 29, 2012, 03:33:35 PM
[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPd98CbbMk[/noembed]  *whistles innocently*

Anyways, I have a hard time swallowing any plan that involves a multi-decade-long timetable as 'a sure fix'.  Among many other things (the mathematically complex system that is the world economy first and foremost), it also depends on the next 4+ Presidents and 19+ Congresses sticking to 'The Plan', and that's only assuming two decades.

Considering that it took the work of three presidents over a span of twenty years to create the surplus that bush flushed away I don't see it working. Particularly since it was three presidents who accepted higher taxes were part of the fix. 

js207

Quote from: Oniya on August 29, 2012, 01:16:57 PM
Yes, he's chopping ... things like CHIP, Medicare...

To complain about Ryan keeping Obama's Medicare cuts in place is a bit of a stretch, surely!

QuoteConsidering that it took the work of three presidents over a span of twenty years to create the surplus

What 'surplus'? During the height of the dot-com bubble, the debt "only" went up by $20 billion (1999-2000). At that point, before the bubble burst, some economists predicted that there would be an actual surplus in the future - but the bubble burst, so that was never a possibility. Of course with the bubble bursting and 9/11 the debt became much worse, but short of unprecedented slashing of federal spending - at the start of a war, too - that was literally inevitable.

Oniya

Quote from: js207 on August 30, 2012, 03:36:53 AM
To complain about Ryan keeping Obama's Medicare cuts in place is a bit of a stretch, surely!

Except Obama is replacing it with something else.  Something that the Republicans actually thought up, but completely tried to stonewall during this Presidency.  There are at least three sections in the article I linked that are devoted specifically to how the Ryan plan affects healthcare specifically.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17