Exalted: War Manse 13 (Exalted, all welcome, seeking GM/Players)

Started by Lustful Bride, March 05, 2018, 01:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Ok, sorcery may be a problem, at least for the Dragonbloods.

2nd ed lists the 5 trials the sorcerer needs to complete, and the third one ... journeying ... would be tricky for DBs of an isolated settlement to accomplish.

Muse, what's your thoughts on using the 3rd ed sorcery pacts here? Background might work better than the normal 2nd ed ones.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AndyZ

One of the concepts that you may or may not allow.  I figure I'll post it up and see.

I've had an idea for a Twilight back when who had basically a Solar-usable version of an Essence Pulse Cannon, which is by default an Alchemical weapon.  She just kept it constantly attuned and in Elsewhere, and when brought back, it completely covered her wrist.

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/notes/world-of-darkness/ink-monkeys-vol-2-essence-pulse-cannon/326800547415/

There's a few things I can toss out, but I figure that a Twilight would be very useful for this setting.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Idej

Actually a journey could mean many things

For example there are places in the Manse that are sealed off or even some outskirts places one can go to

The journey is more about enlightenment imo.  So have aspiring sorcerers go out into some of the defunct spots of the Manse or something and there you go. :)  sorcery isn't meant to be common at all, so those who learn it should be rare in the manse.

Chajesdad

I agree that journey can mean many things, since growing up has been deemed a journey to manhood, and has occurred within the same six mile area for a friend of mine. The journey here could be climbing the ranks of the magitech or spirit liaison committee. Perhaps a foray required to a deep manse just outside Leviathan's claimed territory, where the spell storage is held, though the hearthstone room is locked beyond the gathering of a Terrestrial or currently held by Leviathan himself. Since the inhabitants of War Manse 13 are holding to the old ways and not corrupted by the world, our presence in his manse is not hindered, though without his permission none may claim the manse, just allowed to use the library function. Just tossing a few thoughts your way.

Though for truth's sake, there was talk of limiting the spells available to the closed society, what spells are not on the available list so to speak.
What were you thinking just now?

https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=31109 Ons and Offs

Zaer Darkwail

Also journey could made via a trip into wyld (sort vision journey) through a ritual or spirit trip to Yu-Shan (using certain herbs, rituals etc). Sort trance period where person is several days into it and could be actually most risky part of initiation as it can lead to student dying because they do not return in time as their body withers away.

Anyways on my char; true royal warstriders would had been rare and less useful. But what if said royal warstrider was build (customized) for aquatic setting? Like able take serpent like form in water (or other sea creature)? Or have essence fueled water skates which allow it move atop water's surface?

Anyways I indeed thought of Gunzosha troops and some magitech transports be related said clan, however main thing with warstrider was desire able go and do 'mech battle' scene. Idea is that the royal warstrider would not able move/function at all without AI. So it would be more plot relevant event for it turning on and function than just something owned by the char.

Muse

All of these sound accurate to me about the journey! 

Chajesad, I think I'm missing what your actual question is? 

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 20, 2018, 04:29:47 PM
I think we've covered all the char-gen stuff, haven't we?

I'm still inclined to sugest we offer the DRagon Blooded 50 exp and 3-5 extra background points.  :) 

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 20, 2018, 04:29:47 PM
Which reminds me of something I wanted to ask.

Would the players prefer the Zenith be alive or dead at this point? The reason I ask is that with a well established figure in a leadership position, it will be harder for the PCs to step into that role, which ideally is how I would envision the game going.

Oh!  I think that's WAY too awesome a storytelling opertunity to pass up! 

Let have a few chapters to get to know our benevolant leader, see his actual goodness and occasional foibles.  Give us reason for rage when the abyssal assasin team slays him! 

How many poeple do we have intrested in playing dragon blooded?  It seems to me that they're a key aspect of the story, and I'd like to see them well represetned. 

On the other hand, I have a zenith caste concept I'd love a chance to try out.  At first glance, he's a young cassanova ships captain with an artifact daiklaive and a somewhat self-contradictory attitude towards women. 

Get to know him better, though--and give him more time to know himself--and you realize he is the Prophet of Human Potential.  He attracted the Sun's attention not for his skill at arms or personal righteousness, but for his beleif in the transcendent power of every human being.  He becomes a teacher, a war leader, and a speaker so inspiring he can motivate a nameless farmer into an epic hero. 

"You can be more."
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Also to add I am not attached to concept so if royal (customized) warstrider is no go, I think other concept. Either case for Muse knowlegde I plan playing a dragon-blood (or human in Gunzosha troop armor which intent is to exalt in the game somepoint :P).

I myself lean to Muse in regards the leader; leader being alie and well until by IC event dies (or disappears) and it causing chaos/devastation in moral sense in the manse loosing a beloved leader.

Chajesdad

I like the idea of starting with the aged Zenith alive as well, and losing him during the game. Also, I may have as many as three or four dragonblooded before the end of the game.

My actual question about sorcery was more are there any Terrestrial Spells that you are denying due to unavailability.

HairyHeretic

Short responses, due to tired Hairy tonight :)

Spells - Are there any you feel would not be available to the War Manse?

Sorcerers journey - Leaning towards shamanic, probably via an injection of some kind of sea snake venom

War Striders - Leaning towards no. They'd allow for an almost unmatched military presence, and once word got out, you WOULD have the attention of all the major powers taht would want it. The Realm, the Lintha and the local Deathlord. So .. better off without them I think.

Glorious leader - Was thinking he would die after 1 or 2 scenarios are completed, giving the newcomer solars a chance to prove themselves to the Manse before they get leadership positions.

DB character boost - I'll defy to Muse on this one, he has more experience with 2nd ed than I have (I think)

So we have interest in DBs and Solars. Anyone looking to play anything else, as a primary or secondary character?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chajesdad

If there are any Lunar spots available, I would love to play one at a later date, either as a Lunar bond to one of the Solars or as an independent entity. Either Full Moon Snapping Turtle or Changing Moon Squid for concepts.

Really I would like to focus on my DBs to start with. So, I have a botanically focused wood aspect (3), fire aspect soldier (4), water aspect scout (2), and fire aspect sorceror (1). This is numbered by preference of play.

River of Blood-- many days of poisoning would be too destructive in an environment as they have.
Unstoppable Fountain of the Depths-- Close areas that fill quickly with water is not a good plan.
The Violent Opening of Closed Portals-- Do I need to spell it out, airlock.
Stormwind Riders-- tight and close areas do not do well with tornados
Cirrus Skiff-- Flying on a cloud when you live with two windows to the world may be a difficult plan.
Demon of the First Circle-- enclosed and limited areas to prevent the demons from limit breaking... see where I am going with this. Too risky in a sub.

Muse

Primary Character Desired:  Zenith Caste Solar (Propht of Human Potential)
Secondary Characters Desired: 
--A daughter of Uri Thousand Hands, perhaps a second in command for one of the PC dragon blooded?  Perhaps with a minor power armor?   (Bride, would you be intereted?  If not, Vedaa?)   
--Graceful Willow, Serenity Caste dancer and martial artist, Mentor and lover to Idej's character.  He could etiher be a freuqently occuring character or a come and go mnetor.  (Especialy if hes been keep track of this manse for a few centuries?) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, so no warstriders. So char concepts;

Primary: A water aspect engineer/grease monkey, in given role he would be one 'leading' engineers in regards repairs and maintenance (and he himself as water aspect he can go underwater to repair in case of floods/leaks or other repairs at outside walls).
Secondary: A mortal male human in Gunzosha armor troops, likely subservient to DB or one solar half-castes. Idea is that he exalts and may become primary char upon exaltation (a dawn caste, so through battle).

HairyHeretic

Sorry for the quiet folks, I tend to have fairly limited time on the days I'm working.

River of Blood-- many days of poisoning would be too destructive in an environment as they have.
Unstoppable Fountain of the Depths-- Close areas that fill quickly with water is not a good plan.
The Violent Opening of Closed Portals-- Do I need to spell it out, airlock.

Though could be kept in reserve, in case the manse was ever in danger of falling

Stormwind Riders-- tight and close areas do not do well with tornados
Cirrus Skiff-- Flying on a cloud when you live with two windows to the world may be a difficult plan.

The war manse is built on an island, so these ones aren't quite as useless to the inhabitants as you might think.

Demon of the First Circle-- enclosed and limited areas to prevent the demons from limit breaking... see where I am going with this. Too risky in a sub.

The old records hold that the Solars were able to do this safely, though the last time the Dragonbloods tried it, some 700 years ago ... well, it's required reading for all Dragonblooded now, on the dangers of letting your reach exceed your grasp.

The spells do exist, but they're locked away in a forbidden codex. Only the highest ranking sorcerer and their designated successor even know where they are, let alone how to get them. And they hope they will never be needed.

How does that sound?

All the character concepts sound fine to me.

Muse, what's your thoughts on starting everyone with a bit of xp to reflect previous adventures?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

I think some extra experience would be great. 

Maybe: 
  Celestial Exalted: +100 EXP and +5 Backgrounds
  Terestrail Exatled: +150 EXP and +5 Backgrounds. 
  God Blooded:  Inheritence 4 or equivelent.  Gain the benefits of a career as described for mortal heroes.  +200 EXP and +5 backgrounds. 
  --Should anyone want a god blooded as their primary character, with no exalted characters at all, consider giving more bonuses, such as free charms. 

I also have some sugestions for backgrounds: 

Henchmen

Henchmen (Supernatural)
--The henchmen background should be allowed to celestials.  At base your henchmen are heroic mortals as created in Scroll of Heroes with +75 EXP. 
--Buy the Henchmen background at +1 dot to gain supernatural henchmen.  These are NPC god blooded created by the same rules as PC god blooded. 

Backing: War Manse 13

War Manse 13 characters should take a level of this background apropriate to their position and athority in the Manse.
--Provided they maintain this background by performing their duty, avoiding forbiden behavior, and participating in an aproriate amount of courtly polotics, they gain the following benefits from this background: 
(1)  This is apropriate backing for a person of no special power performing routine duties. 
      --They gain Resources 1 for free. 
(2)  Apropriate backing for a person of no special power performing highly valued or dangerous duties, or entry level work for a god blooded. 
     --They gain Resoruces 2 and Influence 1 for free. 
(3)  Aproriate backing for an entry level exalt or experienced god blooded. 
      --They gain Resource 2 and Influence 2 for free. 
(4)  Aproriate backing for an important exalt or someone of lesser power someone able to provide similar services. 
     --They gain resources 3 and Influence 3 for free. 
(5)  Apropriate backing for Umari 1,000 Hands and his sucessor.  He gains resources 4, influence 4, and Cult 2 for free. 

Furthermore, maintaing your backing is sufficient to maintain Backing x2 dots fo the following backgrounds, not to exceed your backing level in any one: 
--Arsenal. 
--Command. 
--Henchmen
--Retainers.

So as an example if I wanted to play a younger terestrial exalted who ws a militar leader for the manse, I could take with my build points: 
--Backing 3
--Arsenal 3 (Athority to requisition resources for myself and my troupes, including exceptional equipment, minor artifacts, and reagents nessciary to maintain my magitech and that of my unit. 
--Command 2 (Athority to lead a Talon of soldiers.) 
--Retainers 1 (Two non combatant assistants of exceptional skill--in this case a sorcerer-technician and a body servant.) 

However, if I wanted to lure three NPC God Blooded to serve in my unit, I'd have to take:
--Henchmen 3

Then to make sure they didn't leave my service, I'd need Connectiosn 3 in an apropriate area to make sure the war manse kept them assinged to my service and paid their sallary. 

Alternatively, if I only wnated 1 supernatural henchman (or 3 supernatural mortals) i could devote a resources 2 expense from my resoruces background to keeping them in my service. 

HairyHeretic

I'm okay with most of that, but I think that resources are going to be very limited. It's a military base, there's little need for money before the Usurpation and little opportunity to obtain it after.

Building resources through trade with neighbors would be doable in the longer term though.

I'd probably want to cap the Backing at 3 for the DB players, and it wouldn't initially be available to newcomers from the outside.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 26, 2018, 04:43:20 PM
I'm okay with most of that, but I think that resources are going to be very limited. It's a military base, there's little need for money before the Usurpation and little opportunity to obtain it after.

Building resources through trade with neighbors would be doable in the longer term though.

I'd probably want to cap the Backing at 3 for the DB players, and it wouldn't initially be available to newcomers from the outside.

Or they could try and also do work for locals to exchange services and goods in exchange for killing local bandits, slaying some beast, or doing something the mortals would need an exalted for.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

To clarify, I didn't mean for resources to initialy be available to War Manse 13 characters by ways other than through backing, and that sounds like a reasonable limit, even with our experience. 

Shall we begin character forging, then? 

And who would like my assistance? 

HairyHeretic

I think we have most of the details hammered out now. Anyone have anything we've overlooked? If not I'll get an OOC thread set up and we can migrate over there.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Zaer Darkwail

*nods*

OOC would be good place discuss and present sheets until charsheet thread is up.

Lustful Bride

I will need a good template for a CS and might need help setting it up as its my first real system based exalted game.

Idej

http://www.lookshy.dk/sheets/index.html

Fill able character sheets

Best to upload them on Google docs when you do it

But that is one option

Lustful Bride

Muse

Bride, did you decide if you were going to play a dragon blooded or a solar?  :) 

If a dragon blooded, did you want my Half Caste as part of yoru command structure?  : )

Chajesdad

Muse--If Bride doesn't want you, I will gladly take you.

Wild question, if there has been a Gold Faction Sidereal flirting with the War Manse, Are the Immaculate Martial Arts available? Not that an actual Immaculate was brought to introduce the Forms as such, but there is a god for everything, perhaps since the gods import was diminished due to the Immaculate Faith and the Hundred Gods Heresy, shrines to each of the MA gods in secret were set here and the gods, or their underlings mentor worthy individuals though the blasphemies of the Immaculate Faith were left out of the teachings. Instead basing the faith born Martial Arts on the tenets of the Original Dragon Blooded, Pasiap, Danaad, Hesiesh, Mela, and Sextes Jylis. Though as far as Awakening Charms, I would see Walker-Among-Irises and Iris Bulb Discourse as appropriate.

My Wood Dragon botanist I could easily see as an itinerant for Sextes Jylis, Wood Dragon Style of the Five Glorious Dragon Styles.

Another, I would like to start with three opening characters. A fire Aspected Fanglord of the Watch, a Wood Dragon botanist (with or without the martial arts) think Gaina from ST:TNG, and a Water Aspect sailor/scout.