News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Image Hosting

Started by Haruki, February 26, 2013, 02:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haruki

Okay, so the brilliant minds of Photobucket broke their own site it seems.  Sure, I can hotlink to images just fine with the IMG BBcode tags, as this is how I have my character reference images displaying on this site (as seen in the link in my status, or in my O/O thread).

Now I understand, late last year, there was a strong recommendation by mods here to instead throw character images to the Wiki on here, forgoing outside image hosting services.  This is understandable, as those commercial image hosts use pervasive scripts and cookies to queue up advertising specific to the user, thus raising legit privacy concerns.

The trouble is that I'm not just hawking these characters on E! alone.  I'm on several communities, and I like to have one centralized hub to keep things organized, just utilizing link-backs to display images across the various forums I'm a part of.

With Photobucket's latest update, they've basically broken direct linking it seems.  I have to click on the image, which kicks me to the full site page with the image as part of a 'slideshow' that people can flip through.  I hate it, and I need a new host that allows just THAT image to display when clicked on.

I use Flickr as well, but that is for other interests, not RPing, and is much like Photobucket.....intrusive with advertising and such, in which with a firewalled modem/router and beefed-up browser with all sorts of 'no ads / no scripts' blockers, can cripple a site like Photobucket, Flickr, etc, useless to the one viewing the images.

I've poked into Imageshack and Imgur.  I'm still pondering on what to do here.  Convenience seems to come at the cost of utmost privacy on the Internet.  >_<

Suggestions?

Much appreciated in advance as I make transitions.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Autumn Sativus

I personally use my Google+ account to host images. I created a circle with no one in it to share the photos to (this effectively makes them private unless someone has the link) and then they are hosted indefinitely through there with no limit on size. :-)
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Beguile's Mistress

Caeli

I highly recommend using Tumblr. If you don't want to publicly post the images, you can change the posts to post privately so only you can view them, but you will still be able to grab the image link.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Haruki

I use a scrap mail account (it's the same one I use to host my Google site pages for RP material).

Saffron, I didn't know Google + could be used for that.  I could very well just change that account on which I host my RP materials/writings, to a "+" one and use them.

Isn't Tumblr more of an image aggregate?  (Edit / Self-Correction - It's a micro-blogging site.) I've heard of them, but I didn't think they were a host, so much as a place for people to just dump image hashtags, which then fetch the images at the source they link to (be it a Facebook post, Tweet, website, image host, etc).

Yeah I know, I'm ALWAYS a few years behind everyone else online.  It sucks.
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Autumn Sativus

One of the reasons I actually started using Google+ for that purpose is because the image editing site I used to use (picnik) went down and was integrated into Google+. It's a convenient place to recolor, crop, resize and edit images as well as host them.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Caeli

Quote from: Haruki on February 26, 2013, 02:35:27 PMIsn't Tumblr more of an image aggregate?  (Edit / Self-Correction - It's a micro-blogging site.) I've heard of them, but I didn't think they were a host, so much as a place for people to just dump image hashtags, which then fetch the images at the source they link to (be it a Facebook post, Tweet, website, image host, etc).

They're not a host, per se, but they can be used as one. You can upload images from your computer or link them remotely, but Tumblr automatically reuploads the image onto their own servers.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Geraint

Quote from: Haruki on February 26, 2013, 02:26:14 PM
With Photobucket's latest update, they've basically broken direct linking it seems.  I have to click on the image, which kicks me to the full site page with the image as part of a 'slideshow' that people can flip through.  I hate it, and I need a new host that allows just THAT image to display when clicked on.

You could, of course, go to your Photobucket account and click on your account in the upper right hand corner, then click "user settings", then the "album" tab.  Uncheck the "Link Back to albums" option at the bottom, and push the save button.  That should "unbreak" things for you, and give you direct linking to pictures again. 

At least it works that way on my account on the new Photobucket:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/RolandBarbarian/abr_royo_subversive_beauty_the_five_faces_of_hecate_2.jpg

Haruki

Quote from: Geraint on February 26, 2013, 11:04:50 PM
You could, of course, go to your Photobucket account and click on your account in the upper right hand corner, then click "user settings", then the "album" tab.  Uncheck the "Link Back to albums" option at the bottom, and push the save button.  That should "unbreak" things for you, and give you direct linking to pictures again. 

At least it works that way on my account on the new Photobucket.

.........*facepalms and shakes his head*  (Where's my anime facepalm image when I need it?)

Heh, well, this is news to me.  I guess I should have done a bit more sniffing around.

Still, as a test, JUST in case (and I'll use them as a 2nd storage option), I tried Google +'s photosharing / storage earlier this evening.  I do like the setup there.....it was quite fast in uploading and loading images over my DSL, so I'm happy with them.

I'll go sniff about the settings in Photobucket otherwise.  I'm guessing all the album / image settings got reset when Photobucket migrated everything to the new servers and site layout.

Thank you, and thanks to everyone who's given me suggestions and help.  :)

(Edit: And sure enough.....unticking "Link back to albums" did the trick.)
=====
My Introduction
=====

Beguile's Mistress

Upgrades, migrations and server changes can often lead to settings returning to default settings without warning. 

Geraint

Quote from: Haruki on February 26, 2013, 11:11:22 PM
I'll go sniff about the settings in Photobucket otherwise.  I'm guessing all the album / image settings got reset when Photobucket migrated everything to the new servers and site layout.

That's exactly what happened.  They changed the defaults to what they wanted you to do, but left the other options available after getting a ton of flack on the beta.  I spent an hour the other night resetting my account to do what I wanted, and mostly succeeded.

Geraint

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on February 26, 2013, 11:15:50 PM
Upgrades, migrations and server changes can often lead to settings returning to default settings without warning.

Indeed.  In this case, it appears that they also changed the defaults ... apparently to give maximum advertising exposure, both for themselves and their advertisers.