What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I have a good computer. It's by no means amazing, but I can run pretty much any game you could throw at me. Maybe only half of them reach max settings, but I get by. And it's really nothing special to look at. It's a stock case, with some good parts. No extra vents, fans, lights, bells, whistles. It cost me $700 AUD, which is about 7 new Xbox 360 games and a chocolate. I'm proud of it though. It's my baby. And like every father, sometimes I wanna hurl my baby out the window and I regret ever making the rash decision of having it. But end of the day, I'll always love it.

Then I listen to REAL PC gamers talk about their rigs and I'm just like "Where is your amazing money tree, you lucky cunt?" D=

Hemingway

I've never needed any special cooling systems, if it makes you feel any better. I can still run games on high settings, in many cases max.

Edit: I just pee'd my pants with happy.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Debut Trailer [HD]

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on September 02, 2012, 05:39:38 AM
I've never needed any special cooling systems, if it makes you feel any better. I can still run games on high settings, in many cases max.

Edit: I just pee'd my pants with happy.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Debut Trailer [HD]

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that along with the movie, Kojima also announced there would be an Open World Metal Gear Solid Game.

Oniya

[old school squee]I just picked up Xenosaga for about 5 bucks :) [/squee]
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Hnghhhh. If you need proof that games weren't better in the old days - that's probably like the 90s in gaming terms - Jagged Alliance 2 is it.

The game starts out fairly easy. A little overwhelming, but fairly easy. This changes right about when you finish the first stage, so about ten minutes into the game. After that, it's you getting your ass kicked. I'd taken over the second of ... seven towns? At that point I decided to recruit some new mercenaries. While waiting for those to arrive, I lost both the towns I had. So I decided to load my game, and stick around to defend one of them. I did so. It took me about ... two hours to pull off successfully, as, little did I know, I was up against about fifteen enemies. Fifteeen enemies against my two guys.

Having done that, I tried to decide whether to have my new mercenaries join my first ones, or get my first ones back to the starting town to join the new arrivals. Practically before I could make up my mind ( a few hours of in-game time ), my second town came under attack again, this time by a mere 10 enemies.

I ... I give up. Who would willingly subject themselves to this?

Life in Color

Quote from: Oniya on September 02, 2012, 12:01:31 PM
[old school squee]I just picked up Xenosaga for about 5 bucks :) [/squee]

*jealous*

Wolfy

The BIOSHOCK Song

If you have a PS3, Ali, you can pick up Xenosaga from PSN for 9.99, I believe.

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Wolfy

♪ Screw the Nether (Moves Like Jagger Parody)

Hmm...I just recently noticed that this guy sounds a bit like Weird Al...at least at the beginning.

Also.....

MINECRAFT!

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Sabby

Stupid computer... I'm now looking at around 400 dollars to get ready for Borderlands 2. Plus an awkward conversation with my tech guy to get the exact model of power supply which I have no intention of buying from him. But may bring it to him for installation. He has a French accent though, so seeing him struggle to be polite is always worth it :3

Lirliel

Quote from: Hemingway on September 02, 2012, 12:27:05 PM
Hnghhhh. If you need proof that games weren't better in the old days - that's probably like the 90s in gaming terms - Jagged Alliance 2 is it.

The game starts out fairly easy. A little overwhelming, but fairly easy. This changes right about when you finish the first stage, so about ten minutes into the game. After that, it's you getting your ass kicked. I'd taken over the second of ... seven towns? At that point I decided to recruit some new mercenaries. While waiting for those to arrive, I lost both the towns I had. So I decided to load my game, and stick around to defend one of them. I did so. It took me about ... two hours to pull off successfully, as, little did I know, I was up against about fifteen enemies. Fifteeen enemies against my two guys.

Having done that, I tried to decide whether to have my new mercenaries join my first ones, or get my first ones back to the starting town to join the new arrivals. Practically before I could make up my mind ( a few hours of in-game time ), my second town came under attack again, this time by a mere 10 enemies.

I ... I give up. Who would willingly subject themselves to this?

That all depends, which towns did you conquer first, and how in the HECK did you only have 2 mercs?!

You can easily make a 4/5 man squad, your IMP, Grunty (Good Squadleader, Heavy Weapons and decent Marksman), Buns (Expert Marksman, stealth (i think)), and someone like Bull (Best strength/Health in game), plus recruit Ira (Decent Medic) from the rebels in the first town. I mean you did give the letter you got from miguel right, there's a button that says 'recruit'.

So now you've got a fairly good team, next up, Tactical play, rushing in is a surefire way to get killed. Fireteams come to  mind, one man shoots another 'covers' press L you can have them 'overlook' an area if an enemy wanders in, pop a few rounds into him. If it looks too tough, like too many enemies, retreat, or better yet, hide in buildings, crouch behind windows. They are the perfect cover, let the enemy come to you, don't stand in the open. That's a sure-fire way to get a cap popped in ya ass.

For me basic 'start of game', hire 4/5 mercs, rush Drassen, it's fairly easy, just take your time, talk to the Priest and have him send food to the rebels, have one person run back and pick up Dimitri for another free rebel fighter. Talk to the owner of the mine, now mad monies, refresh everyone's contract. Do this while they are still Exp 1/2 they cost SOOOO much less then if they are Exp 4/5

After that, visit 'bobby ray's' the link is under the AIM site. You can buy some new stuff, weapons/armor etc. After that comes in, talk to the airport Mechanic, find Skyrider get him to tha choppa, now pop that Sam Site, train Militia btw, train Militia everywhere. I cannot stress that enough. Then your free to go wherever.

Go left, pop Chitzena for another mine + sam site, bit down to the left, or pop the biggest city that has a hospital & a mine.

Hope that helps a little.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Heaven Sent Blossom

I just found out that City of Heroes is getting canned.
This is terrible news and I hope whoever made it over at NCsoft falls off a ladder.

Hemingway

Quote from: Lirliel on September 04, 2012, 05:07:58 AM
That all depends, which towns did you conquer first, and how in the HECK did you only have 2 mercs?!

You can easily make a 4/5 man squad, your IMP, Grunty (Good Squadleader, Heavy Weapons and decent Marksman), Buns (Expert Marksman, stealth (i think)), and someone like Bull (Best strength/Health in game), plus recruit Ira (Decent Medic) from the rebels in the first town. I mean you did give the letter you got from miguel right, there's a button that says 'recruit'.

So now you've got a fairly good team, next up, Tactical play, rushing in is a surefire way to get killed. Fireteams come to  mind, one man shoots another 'covers' press L you can have them 'overlook' an area if an enemy wanders in, pop a few rounds into him. If it looks too tough, like too many enemies, retreat, or better yet, hide in buildings, crouch behind windows. They are the perfect cover, let the enemy come to you, don't stand in the open. That's a sure-fire way to get a cap popped in ya ass.

For me basic 'start of game', hire 4/5 mercs, rush Drassen, it's fairly easy, just take your time, talk to the Priest and have him send food to the rebels, have one person run back and pick up Dimitri for another free rebel fighter. Talk to the owner of the mine, now mad monies, refresh everyone's contract. Do this while they are still Exp 1/2 they cost SOOOO much less then if they are Exp 4/5

After that, visit 'bobby ray's' the link is under the AIM site. You can buy some new stuff, weapons/armor etc. After that comes in, talk to the airport Mechanic, find Skyrider get him to tha choppa, now pop that Sam Site, train Militia btw, train Militia everywhere. I cannot stress that enough. Then your free to go wherever.

Go left, pop Chitzena for another mine + sam site, bit down to the left, or pop the biggest city that has a hospital & a mine.

Hope that helps a little.

Because I'm absolutely clueless about the game, I referred to various guides to find out what the ideal starting setup looked like. I've tried the "several mediocre mercs" approach, and the one I looked at recommended getting your IMP merc and a good AIM one for one day ( I went with Len, who's a great marksman and has a good weapon ). Taking Omerta is trivial that way. Drassen too, really.

The problem was that after taking Drassen I went back for Ira, and recruited some additional mercs ( Igor and Barry, I think ). I then went back to Drassen to wait for daytime so I could find the priest, but before I even got that far Omerta got taken, and the Drassen mine was attacked. By something like ( literally - this is no exaggeration ) 17 enemies. All of which my two guys eventually managed to kill ( by camping behind a house and lining up headshot after headshot as the enemies wandered out in front ). But before I could even recover from that, they attacked Drassen again, with 10 guys.

If it continues like that, I won't even make it half-way to Chitzena before Drassen is lost.

Personally, I think 1.13 ruined the pacing of the game entirely. The problem is that the game seems to crash a few days in if I don't install 1.13.

Lirliel

Ah, you encountered the infamous Retake Drassen, now guess what it's like on Insane ;)

But to help with that, it's what 'always' (using the INI options you can turn it off) happens. Plus side you get a BUTT-load of weapons which you can sell for mad monies, use, or y'know just keep 'em there.

As far as Omerta being taken, it doesn't matter, not one bit. AFAIK the 'rebel base' can't be captured so no worries there, plus you can move your 'drop-point' to Drassen after taking the SAM-site so your homeclear. It's two/three clicks east of Drassen Mine.

Also train militia, I cannot stress this enough. You need them to hold onto towns, protect SAM-sites, everything, they are your bread & butter.

Ps, the Drassen attack is the only one like that in the game, the rest of the towns might get attacked, but nothing on the scale of Drassen.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Hemingway

Well, that's ... a slight relief? Because I was sitting there trying to figure out how many mercs I'd need to protect every town, and how much time it would take. It's kinda the same problem the late game in X-COM suffers from: Enemies appear so often and in such numbers that you spend more time just trying to hold on to what you have than making progress.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sabby on September 03, 2012, 05:07:37 AM
Stupid computer... I'm now looking at around 400 dollars to get ready for Borderlands 2. Plus an awkward conversation with my tech guy to get the exact model of power supply which I have no intention of buying from him. But may bring it to him for installation. He has a French accent though, so seeing him struggle to be polite is always worth it :3

What graphics card are you planning on running and I do hope that you're not paying and arm and a leg for a tech.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on September 03, 2012, 05:07:37 AM

Huh? For $400 I could build a new PC that could run borderlands 2 without an issue.

Sabby I would consult some other businesses because this guy sounds like hes ripping you off

Im playing Dark souls again, only this time on my PC. The port is pretty bad but I made some mods and found some other mods that make it a good PC game
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on September 05, 2012, 12:33:24 AM
What graphics card are you planning on running and I do hope that you're not paying and arm and a leg for a tech.

Graphics Card = NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 660 Ti

Power Supply = ???

I know I need 600w, but I google it and it all flies over my head .__. I know that getting a cheap one isn't a good idea, but I don't wanna over spend either.

Quote from: Brandon on September 05, 2012, 12:56:52 PM
Huh? For $400 I could build a new PC that could run borderlands 2 without an issue.

Sabby I would consult some other businesses because this guy sounds like hes ripping you off

Uhm, AUD man xD The entire computer cost 700 to make. It just need an upgrade on the card and power supply, which cost 300 and about 150 respectively.

And these are Amazon prices, not the guys, I checked with him for advice and possibly installation. So I don't see how I can do any better.

Inkidu

You know why you haven't heard from me in a few weeks? School, other than that I decided to undertake the insane task of playing Dwarf Fortress. I see the world in ASCII now. There is no hope. Now if only I could make an elaborate magma funneling system that gave me lava moats at key points as well as providing my power and fuel for lava-lock traps I'd be set.

Four in game months, several schematics, and an embarrassing amount of resources later I have only ever managed to fill my fortress with lava, dooming all inside. :\ Apparently, I'm doing better than most.

That has given me an idea though. I want to make a massive lava well that pumps it up to the surface. Then using several channels of obsidian or mica (both lava-proof) I'll install a mica floodgate that can be opened over my one entrance to create a lava waterfall! Eat that, Goblins!

That's still not the most impressive then I've seen. Someone made what basically boils down to a lava-based orbital satellite weapon of some kind.

Also people have made lava and water-based  computers. I'd settle for a well some days. So hooking up a drained underwater lake, in an attempt to use negative pressure to fill an elaborate system of wells for all the floors above, to the river was a bad idea without instituting some kind of floodgate first... who knew.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103055

That is a 600 watt power supply.  newegg.com is your friend.  Though I don't think spending 300 buck for a graphics card just for borderlands 2 is worth it.... That is my opinion though.

Sabby

Oh, I need to upgrade, so it's not just for Borderlands 2. That's just how I found out about it :) Pretty much everyone I've asked about it, and all the online reviews seem to say the same thing, that it's a pretty powerful card and won't rip my wallet in half. The one I'm looking at on Amazon is a... uhm... no idea what this means, so will just paste.

EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2048MB GDDR5 DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP, SLI Graphics Card (02G-P4-3660-KR) Graphics Cards 02G-P4-3660-KR

I won't buy it just because it has a longer name though, it's just the one I ended up Bookmarking.

But I'll take a look at the power supply you linked Sin :) Thank you for the help.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sabby on September 05, 2012, 06:48:16 PM
Oh, I need to upgrade, so it's not just for Borderlands 2. That's just how I found out about it :) Pretty much everyone I've asked about it, and all the online reviews seem to say the same thing, that it's a pretty powerful card and won't rip my wallet in half. The one I'm looking at on Amazon is a... uhm... no idea what this means, so will just paste.

EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2048MB GDDR5 DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP, SLI Graphics Card (02G-P4-3660-KR) Graphics Cards 02G-P4-3660-KR

I won't buy it just because it has a longer name though, it's just the one I ended up Bookmarking.

But I'll take a look at the power supply you linked Sin :) Thank you for the help.

Honestly its better to by from newegg most of the time.  They have really good prices.

Sabby

I hope they ship to Australia, otherwise I'm just looking for which exact card and power supply and finding them local.

SinXAzgard21

Ah, well then I guess you're just looking and hoping that you don't pay three times as much.