'Giant' orb web spider discovered

Started by Spookie Monster, October 22, 2009, 08:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

'Giant' orb web spider discovered

A new and rare species of "giant" orb web spider has been discovered in Africa and Madagascar.

In the journal
Plos One, researchers describe Nephila komaci as the largest web spinning spider known to science.

Enjoy!

Spel

Take care...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Inkidu

*Looks at newspaper in hand* I'm going to need the Sunday Edition for that one...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

*whimpers, curling up in his blankets and eyeing the big spider*

Revolverman

*Lights welding torch* This calls for FIRE.

Inkidu

Quote from: Terror Mask on October 22, 2009, 09:20:44 PM
*Lights welding torch* This calls for FIRE.
We'll find it has a natural asbestos exoskeleton.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Revolverman

Quote from: Spookidu on October 22, 2009, 09:23:37 PM
We'll find it has a natural asbestos exoskeleton.

*Fires up arc welder* Then we will use PLASMA!

Inkidu

Revolverman

Vekseid

And you can weave their silk into cloth that is stronger, lighter, and more flexible than kevlar.

Ket

she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Saerrael

Quote from: Vekseid on October 22, 2009, 10:02:14 PM
And you can weave their silk into cloth that is stronger, lighter, and more flexible than kevlar.

Probably very expensive aswell? I would so love clothes made of that... >.>

Vekseid

Quote from: Saerra on October 22, 2009, 11:24:07 PM
Probably very expensive aswell? I would so love clothes made of that... >.>

Since the first item ever woven of it was just made this year, and took a million spiders several years, yeah, probably, until it can be made synthetically it's not even viable for billionaires.

Doomsday

Tony Stark probably flosses with the stuff.

Kate

Goats have been genetically altered to make spider silk in their milk.

Callie Del Noire

Looks at the image..

Picks up his 5 inch thick book, looks thoughtfully at the image again. Puts down book and picks up his 9 inch thick cruise book.

THUMP!!!

<eeek.. big spider!>

Oniya

Quote from: Vekseid on October 23, 2009, 12:27:47 AM
Since the first item ever woven of it was just made this year, and took a million spiders several years, yeah, probably, until it can be made synthetically it's not even viable for billionaires.

So, this is the same spider that made the gold-colored cloth that was recently seen in the Fiber Arts thread?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Spookie Monster

Well, maybe we can genetically blend the spiders that produced this silk

with fainting goats

Fainting Goats

and watch the gold market ROLLER-COASTER!  Awesome!

Thanks very much for the replies, everybody!  I'm glad that you enjoyed the spidery goodness.

Spel

Golden years...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~