DWD Arena! - Fighting & Sex Sports Entertainment (Interest Check + "BETA")

Started by Twisted Crow, May 22, 2015, 05:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Valentine

I think allowing players to create NPCs for combat would help as well if we end up with small crowd. These NPCs may have fix levels and cannot level up, just fill in combatants. As such, their stats may also differ or be less in comparison to what a normal level of theirs may be if they were a player. Such scene outcomes would vary between both writing partners in any finishing; regardless, such would offer a bit more variety for line ups. How you treat the exp handling in it is up to you, whether you want to have restriction to what may be gain from them being NPCs or what vs actual player matches. Obviously, players cannot match with their own NPCs, I mean, that would be kind of like RPing with yourself(unless there is option in NPC tab of who may be allowed to also RP them.)

Hope that wasn't confusing.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Twisted Crow

I believe this is a good suggestion. And its very likely that players will be able to have multiple characters, anyway. Especially if the starting group is small. Thats a good idea, Drake.

As to when I'd like to start, hopefully before or after the weekend. At most, I might push things up to a week (to give myself time to clean up the rules). Also, to give some time to wait on a couple more people (to have enough group topics again). I was somewhat feverish the other day (hence the absence).

I'm kind of working at borrowing something from Project BF to test and see how well it would work with DWD's current system.

Drake Valentine

No worries, take your time. Better you get over whatever is ailing you than be out for a longer extended time in a worse state than you may be now. Health always comes first. ^^

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Twisted Crow

Feeling better and my mind is better focused. While I had this for a while, I've been meaning to include this in the main thread. Added a formal "Rules of Conduct" for Players.

Player Rules of Conduct (Please Read)

PLAYER RULES OF CONDUCT

By joining this group game, you are expected to honor these simple rules. Most of which is basically following Elliquiy's Rules anyway:

1. Respect Fellow Players, Respect Your GM(s) - You are expected to treat other players and the GM(s) with respect, no different than you are expected to behave on the rest of Elliquiy. There will be absolutely zero drama out of game. Players that are causing problems, throwing fits, harassing players or the like will be politely asked to leave the group. We are all adults, so let's please act like it and have fun.

2. This is a Game with Non-Con - There are Non-Con (& Semi-Con, etc.) sexual elements and scenes present in Date with Destiny. Considering that this is part of the point of the game, please be aware of this before joining.

3. Dicebot Use & Cheating: All system aspects in Date with Destiny will use Elliquiy's Dicebot. Any rolls made are expected to be linked if they are successful rolls. Failed rolls can simply have the written result (i.e., 'Attack Roll: 2, Miss!'). While players can choose to "trust" each other on an honor system, it is generally expected to link significant dice rolls to set a good example and practice. Cheating (if somehow made an issue) will be dealt with in a way that the lead GM sees fit. This may even lead to being asked to leave. We are on a trust system and the roleplaying, action, writing and fun is what is most important here. So seriously, just link successful dice rolls within action posts.

4. Posting Content & Format: Date with Destiny is not going to radically enforce post length or formats. However, the general expectation is that posts are reasonable for the situation (fight posts and social media "tweets" can be as short as a few sentences, while interviews, intros, promos and mock "Magazine articles" can be several paragraphs long). This is mostly a common sense thing. It is one thing to politely ask partners to tweak things a bit to help you work something of your own in there, it's another thing to be a grammar Nazi or bash writing styles. As far as formats go, I am not going to be super-strict. As long as important information is displayed and it is legible, then I probably won't care how you format your posts.

5 Post Frequency: While Date with Destiny is designed to be flexible for those that are busy, a reasonable post frequency is expected if characters are currently in a fight. Due to the fact that DWD is currently a small group, there are only so many "Arena Spots" for other players to participate in. These rooms will grow as more players join. Occasional activity outside of fights can be done at any Player's pace. However, please try to see fights to their conclusion over a reasonable time period.

6. OOC Chat: Please keep OOC talk in the OOC Thread when at all possible. Breaking this isn't quite so serious, but please use the OOC thread for this kind of stuff.

7. Participation is Desired: Please engage and participate with other players. Do not exclude anyone that has been approved into the game. Having people you like to play with is fine, having a rivalry/story you want to continue is fine. But do not exclude others. This is still a group game.

7. Communicate, Please Don't Just 'Flake': Please. Please keep people in the know. We don't have to know all of your personal business and we don't have to know why you need a break. But please just take a minute to let a GM (and your partners) know that you are stepping away (either for good or temporarily) so that I know what to do with your characters and any current RP segments that they may be involved in. "Flaking" can really slow and bog the flow of the game, considering that it puts everyone in this unnecessary moment of pause. Just let us know that you're leaving or taking a break and things will be dealt with accordingly. It's really no big deal, just don't leave us in the dark. :-)

To Test:

- The original system as it is. This is mostly to refresh my memory on how the revisions might be implemented in a practical way.
- The revisions (including the strip combo system)
- Handicap matches (with old and new revisions as I see fit). I think I already have someone for this when it's in place, but volunteers are welcome.

To Do:

- Re-organize main thread. Or Can n' Lock this thread and restart a fresh and clean one (so that I'm not sifting through old system junk).
- Permanently establish World Building thread (and link it back to main thread).
- Move game system rules over to world building.
- Poll options.

Twisted Crow

A poll has finally been added. This is a chance to chime in on what you liked and what you perhaps didn't like about the system as it stands. Note that I do like a lot of it as it is, but I am also willing to listen to feedback (especially if you have actually tried the system out with me or other people that were in the group).  ^-^

Things I want to remain in the DWD group concept:

1. Unpredictability - Where players do not always know how the match might turn out.
2. Growth & Player Partnership - Where players can feel like their character is developing, without cliquey favoritism stuff that turns things into nothing but a glorified writing 'popularity contest'.

It's one of the reasons I like systems so much. I don't have to play favorites as a GM, I'm always surprised by what happens and rules are there, plain as day. So I don't have to be that "writing judge" to determine whether or not a character was successful in their venture (with my personal tastes in writing naturally encouraging bias and favoritism as my position of GM in that case). ::)

Yeah, no... I'm not doing that. I have no interest in being an English teacher grading on a curve. I want to be a GM. This is a game. Every member of the group will be treated equally in-game and I'll have no member of the group excluded, or feeling like their writing isn't "as good" as someone else's.  ;)

As a side note, I've been inspired to finalize the group's "Player Code of Conduct"...

Drake Valentine

As it was, was fairly simple. I feel if it gets any more complicated with all sorts of dice rolls, I might pass on it.

Zenkai

it will be again soon I hope!

I don't think the system as is needs additional complexity. 1 round=1 roll is fine with me - giving 3 or 4 sensible otptions out of some 10 for the player to choose, with those options evolving via experience. I believe that's about the right balance for most people interested in a system game.

Twisted Crow

Quote from: Relikai on July 13, 2016, 01:35:27 AM
Is this still open?

Open? Technically, yes. Active? Not really at the moment. Some players have been busy and others are waiting on me, I'm sure. I've been running myself into the ground at work, and trying to find time to put into this as well as my business project. So, the group is technically open to play at the moment. I imagine if there are any matches that are incomplete, they can simply be dropped. And new people can start them, I suppose.

Regarding the rules, I honestly have mixed thoughts on changing mechanics too much (Hence why my vote went to keeping things as they are for the most part). Nor do I want to add more complication to the mechanics. The only things I might add is Handicap (2 vs 1) and expanding the alignment system to be more as a reference to how they should be roleplaying (not just "If Good, No R/H... If Bad, Raep Time". But as it stands for now, the system itself works fine. I feel that it is a nice blend of depth and simplicity.

hamish1024

I'd like to register an interest in this. It's a promising setting; I've always thought fighting / wrestling leagues offer lots of RP potential though their mix of sport, showbusiness and seediness, and it looks like you've got a nice simple system to inform the action.
"Read you a story? What fun would that be? I've got a better idea: let's tell a story together."
Photopia (Adam Cadre)
Ons/Offs
Trillian ID - same as here

Twisted Crow

I should have never added more complexity to it. One of the things I plan on doing is removing the Aerial attacks and defense mechanic... as this seems like it could just be written adlib in place of a normal attack or grab (something you do to a stunned or grounded opponent). It was a good idea (high risk moves with high payoff), but it just doesnt seem to jive well. It adds more stats that players have to keep up with and I dont want that, really.

In exchange, I'm attempting a simple "Strip" system to take its place.

One of the things that my past tester, Aya and I realized was that things get less "exciting" once the R/H phase starts (because the dice stop rolling and the numbers take a backseat).

Again though, what I liked about the initial build of DWD before was its simplicity. Freeform had its place and system had its place. But it feels like when trying to do both, it pushes many out. People seem to like either one or the other. I'm still sticking to my guns on it. This game needs that element of surprise and unpredictability.

Progress on it is slower than I like because I have been testing it by myself lately. While testers are certainly wanted, I have been pushing to keep this system in a specific format. The challenge is real. :D

I appreciate the interest!

Twisted Crow

If I brought this back, rebuilt it and completed this (some help would be great)... would people come and be a part of it?

This is the question I am asking. This system, this game has always been my baby that I have struggled to "work right" as a living, breathing thing. I believe I was on to something before, and I have pondered for years on how to best optimize it for Elliquiy while including all of the features I desire for it.

So this is an official interest check, and possibly a call for some testers and fellow Elliers with some experience in GMing and/or system game familiarity.

I have had some rewarding experiences with a few system gamers here that have given me really brilliant ideas. So, I want to try to bring this back.

Oh, and please no character sheet posts here, yet. I need some work, and perhaps, some help with this. I might put a notice on the GM Corner and link it here.

Drake Valentine

I probably would.

I mean, this was like the only system game I enjoyed. (I mean, I still had this bookmarked after all that time.) Would take some time to get a refresher with.

Erm.. Sadly not sure how much help I would be as I am not great in system games themselves/this being again only one I played.

Hamadryad

I'd definitely play it! Don't know if I'd be much help making system crunch's tuff. Maybe good ideas though?

scribus1000

I've been away from Elliquiy for a very long time, all things considered, but to see a game coming back that I'd always kept bookmarked over the years (on top of something of my own that has yet to be completed), I would definitely pick things up again.
I have taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RPs.
My Ons & Offs (Updated 6/3/2022) and Ideas are here.

The Peak Elliquiy Experience™:
Quote from: roulette on March 15, 2014, 06:59:18 PM"What? Ewww... Well, maybe... actually." -adds to own O&Os-

Polymorph

I'm more active here on E! Unlike the second time this was floated so I would be available to playtest a bout.

Faeli

I would probably play it, depending.  The issue I see with a lot of these is they get so rules-crunchy that the game never actually happens, and I wouldn't want to take a correspondence course to play a game :)

Hamadryad

Twisted Crow

I am working on an overhaul, now. So I wouldn't worry about refreshing oneself on the old system, just yet.

The idea at the moment:

Establish a simple, yet dynamic dice system that gives players some options:

- A basic Dice pool system that would allow players to adjust how much effort they want to put into attacking and defending. After talking to my system buddy here on it, I am sold on, at least, trying this out for testing purposes. It doesn't sound overly complex (the way we have it drawn up) but if it is too much in testing it, we can opt to imitate this with the simple D20 stuff we already have. Character fighting styles would be reflective on player playstyles. A character could go all out offense and be aggressive, fight conservatively or try to balance their offense and defense on the fly.

- Character stats will be streamlined to just 4 Core Stats, which provide bonus modifiers to the actions they govern. In theory, it would be straightforward: Striking would apply straight bonuses to strike totals, Grapple would apply to grabs and controlling holds, etc. I don't want players to have to worry too much about the situational algebra on this. I intend for it to be just (Total Roll + Stat) vs (Number to Succeed Action/Hit).

- Character Perks would change dice pool mechanics in a some simple way (could be die size in a pool, amount of dice, etc) when using that perk.

- At the start of each turn, players would choose how many dice to roll their defense. The rest would be used for their offensive effort.

- Possible fight actions: Strike/Grab/Strip/Charm(Distract).

Ideas that Aya and I had tossed around:

-'Super' or Special Moves that can build up and end a bout quickly. So that fights might not drag on longer than they have to.

-More opportunities and reward for freeform stuff. Doing social media promos and stints will provide rewards.

- Men and women would have certain advantages and disadvantages. The world's show was originally about exploiting women, as they were the "product" of the show. Men might have the deck stacked in their favor to use the women, however women would have more areas and potential to compete. One example is...

-The Date with Destiny tournament: 8-16 Women compete for a shot at a match for championship gold. Winners move up the brackets, losers get a "surprise visit" from male competitors (like Variable Geo Neo, if anyone has seen that). Champions get extra rewards (EXP, money, etc.), but makes them more of a target.

Women can be DWD champions, men can have something of an "Owner" status on women... including champions, which elevates their status as a Champion (by extension).

I am putting all of this and more to organize in my new world building thread.

Mind you, this is a lot of concept. The d20 option is still on the table if these new ideas won't work for some reason or another.

snowdrop

This sounds really interesting, I'm at the very least more than happy to test and play! ^_^

I guess my biggest concern personally with a system like this is that it can easily kind of boggle down to a long slog of just exchanging punches and rolling dice until one person eventually finally loses, while not really leaving much room for creativity in writing and describing the match. I would maybe myself try something that takes inspiration from the Fate system, with its Fate points.

Basically, something like this: you describe what you're trying to do, roll the appropriate dice and try to hit your target, and then if you *didn't* roll well enough, you can spend a number of your Fate points to either reroll or increase your total by a set amount. But in addition to using your Fate point, you need to describe what was the extra thing you did to give yourself the edge in that situation ("she initially missed my charge and landed face-first on the ground, but as the opponent closed in, she grabbed the steel chair next to her and used it as a weapon" or something). But of course Fate points are a limited resource, and maybe something you can be awarded from doing good promos, or spending your turn on hyping up the crowd instead of attacking, or something.

Similarly, I'd maybe have the characters have relatively few "hit points" (maybe as little as three good hits will take you down), but then you have the option to try to "heal" if you spend your turn on that instead of attacking (and succeed on a roll and/or spend Fate points, of course?)

I'm just rambling aloud though, I took a very cursory glance at the initial ruleset and I obviously don't know what kinds of changes you're already planning ^_^ In any case, I'll be happy to test out whatever, and the game idea itself sounds fun in any case!

Twisted Crow

The dice pool idea being worked on is meant to alleviate this some by making things much more dynamic. Thus, pushes people to improvise and stretch a bit while giving them more control over what they can write in those situations.

If I have 5 dice for an action and attack with 4 dice, I defend with only 1 on that turn. I can write this as something like a reckless series of attacks instead of just that "one" attack roll being one attack. If I do the opposite, it is easier to write a more conservative approach.

This is also why I wish to extend player actions and give practical "risk-reward" to them. A female character might try to showboat with a sexy taunt, giving her a chance to rile up the crowd and distract her opponent(s)... but risk being vulnerable if it doesn't quite work as planned. In writing, this affords opportunity to describe the scene and other actions besides just "She tries to kick him."

The problem with the past format is exactly what you described. Though writing still had beef to them, players seemed rather "confined" to describing their next offensive action.

I also want to do more for players to get involved in the world. I want social media and other promotional antics. Players to write up interviews and other freeform activities to push their character. Males building little harems, women trying to break free or even engage in them if they wanted. System and freeform sex, drama and excitement. Hence a major reason for this overhaul attempt. :-)

snowdrop

Capone

Reviving this thread to drop my interest, and perhaps the perspective of someone that loves writing combat in stories, but hates dealing with systems. I understand the need for it, though, having done enough stories throughout my lifetime of roleplaying that can best be described as "I shot you!" "Nuh uh, I had a deflector shield!" "My gun shoots lasers that break deflector shields!" "No it doesn't!"

So basically, despite knowing plenty of game systems and their myriad ways of resolving combat, I'm far more interested in providing feedback regarding how well the system works or how suffocating it may feel.

Reading the past few posts, you seem to emphasize rewarding freeform roleplaying outside of combat, but perhaps considering how rewarding the system itself is to freeform players could help.

Regardless, if this is still going on, tossing hat into ring.

Twisted Crow

This is something I haven't abandoned, as it has always been my baby. I haven't had a lot of time to work on it as much as I would like (it's been a rather stressful month for me), but... My goal is to blend "Approachable" with "Depth".  ;D

I might temporarily lock this at some point and float everything I am working on to GM's Corner... but that place is practically a wasteland on Elliquiy. Or just keep plugging away at my world-building thread when I have the juice for it. ^-^

Eobelle

Quote from: Dallas on April 16, 2019, 04:53:54 PM
The dice pool idea being worked on is meant to alleviate this some by making things much more dynamic. Thus, pushes people to improvise and stretch a bit while giving them more control over what they can write in those situations.

If I have 5 dice for an action and attack with 4 dice, I defend with only 1 on that turn. I can write this as something like a reckless series of attacks instead of just that "one" attack roll being one attack. If I do the opposite, it is easier to write a more conservative approach.

This is also why I wish to extend player actions and give practical "risk-reward" to them. A female character might try to showboat with a sexy taunt, giving her a chance to rile up the crowd and distract her opponent(s)... but risk being vulnerable if it doesn't quite work as planned. In writing, this affords opportunity to describe the scene and other actions besides just "She tries to kick him."

The problem with the past format is exactly what you described. Though writing still had beef to them, players seemed rather "confined" to describing their next offensive action.

I also want to do more for players to get involved in the world. I want social media and other promotional antics. Players to write up interviews and other freeform activities to push their character. Males building little harems, women trying to break free or even engage in them if they wanted. System and freeform sex, drama and excitement. Hence a major reason for this overhaul attempt. :-)

I am interested in this thing.

I am especially interested in this thing because of the proposed move away from a traditional d20 combat system, which can get super tedious.

Think about this, perhaps

a few stat dice pools and one style dice pool

The stat dice pools represent your characters basic attributes.  like physical strength, fight I.Q., stamina, dexterity etc.  The players give each one a name that describe how they are applicable to the scene.  The style pool is named by a description the tactics the character would normally use in the match, like High-flyer, Power grappler, Kick artist, Ferocious submissions, slippery devil, Seductive counter-puncher etc.

Let's say each player has 3 of these dice pools.  At the beginning of each round, the players BOTH split up the style pool amongst the stat pools and roll them.  each die has a number that at or above is a success.  The number of successes for each pool (stat+style points assigned to that stat) is a success.

Then the pools are compared to each other, highest to highest, mid to mid then lowest to lowest.  this gives a basic structure to what happens in that round of the match. Each one gives an idea of what happens during a certain beat of that round.  if one stat is higher than the other, then something like the comparison of those two stats happens in the match, keeping the two styles of the characters in mind.  If the pool are equal than there is a stand-off between those two stats

if one player wins ors of these clashes than the other they win the round, and the loser reduces their style pool by 1.  If there is a tie then no one's pool is reduced.

If a player's style pool drops to zero they are defeated.

Example:

Cyberella the cyborg nightmare is facing off against Cherry Ba-bomb!!!

Cyberella has the stats:
Rapacious Protocols: 3
Wired Reflexes: 2
Muscles ex Machina: 5

And the style: Carnival of Carnage: 9

Elsa has the stats:
Explosive Aerials: 4
Pussy Flash! Aaaaaaaa! It'll save everyone of us!: 5
Flexible Everything: 5

And the style: Risque Business: 5

Sample round:

Cyberella decides to go on the offensive, as she wants to pound this bitch with her cyborg cock ASAP.  She decides to sluff one stat to increase the chances of winning this round with the and snowballing Cherry's already low Style pool into the ground. this is dangerous becase she is giving up one of the three comparisons, which mean she MUST win the other two.  She declares the following:

Rapacious Protocols: 9
Wired Reflexes: 2
Muscles ex Machina: 8

She now rolls these pools and scores

Rapacious Protocols: 3 successes
Wired Reflexes: 1 success
Muscles ex Machina: 4 successes

Cherry is much more cautious.  Her higher stats means that she has an advantage across the board and her totals stay higher if she starts to lose, but she can't lose than many rounds. She declares:

Explosive Aerials: 7
Pussy Flash! Aaaaaaaa! It'll save everyone of us!: 6
Flexible Everything: 6

Now dicepools are rolled

Explosive Aerials: 1 success
Pussy Flash! Aaaaaaaa! It'll save everyone of us!: 1 success
Flexible Everything: 2 successes

OOF!  It looks like Cherry is having a rough start.  Lets match up highest to lowest and see what that means for the fiction.

Muscles ex Machina: 4 successes > Flexible Everything: 2 successes
Rapacious Protocols: 3 successes > Pussy Flash! Aaaaaaaa! It'll save everyone of us!: 1 success
Wired Reflexes: 1 success = Explosive Aerials: 1 success

Cherry loses one from the style pool, which is now 4

It looks like something is going to happen where Cyberella takes advantage of Cherry's flexibility with her cyborg strength, her ability or desire to rape (probably with the metal cock in her description) defeats Cherry's exhibition of her body to distract the metal monster, and Cherry's extreme agility is nullified but not defeated.

Cyberella, as the winner, has fist dibs on writing this scene, but is in the middle of finals, so her player asks Cherry's player to write this round.

Cherry takes the beats into consideration about how the bell goes off and Cherry is off in a flash, feinting to one side, then leaping to the other side in a no-hands cart wheel, her in a full split as she is inverted, her microskirt showing everyone, including her opponent her fresh young pussy.  But Cyberella is no fools, and the feint is caught be her body posture anaytics.  Her rape protocols further parse the data and refine what the action with the most success is as the young woman's bare pussy comes into sight.  Like lightning her metal arms reach out as the "bomb squad ballerina" tries to get behind her and grab both of her ankles, instantly arresting Cherry Ba-Bomb's movement and slamming her down on her shoulders.  Cherry screams as the metal cock soon follows into her tight cunt. 

Note that there is no mechanical penalty for Cherry for being pinned and fucked.  In fact Cherry's player could have won the round, and still decided that her character ended up slammed on the ground and fucked if the beats lead her to that conclusion.  The winner always gets first dibs on how to interpret the round, but if they choose to let the other player write the fiction, that player gets to interpret it as the please.

IDK, that was all off the top of my head/spur of the moment, and I apologize for typing errors etc.   but I think that might work better than a WWE Heat/stamina/accuracy/etc. style game.